Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,590 members, 7,958,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:48 AM

Few Pics From Imo State - Politics (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Few Pics From Imo State (2494650 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Oboy See Heavy Accident Along Rivers Express Way (with Few Pics) / Few Pics From My Brief Trip To Abuja To Meet A Cankerworm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (1038) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
Some beautiful pedestrian bridge in Owerri Imo state.

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 27, 2014
I just got this picture from my friend. It shows the night life of Owerri. Though I'm not in Imo, but I can still add my quota in showcasing the beautiful Imo that is cherished by all

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
spyder880: Some beautiful pedestrian bridge in Owerri Imo state.
Wow! Thanks Spyder. Ka chukwu go zie gi
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:29pm On Sep 27, 2014
Owerri cheesy Great buildings, I think this is a private development.

3 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
spyder880: Owerri cheesy Great buildings, I think this is a private development.
Yes, one of those buildings in the exotic Owerri estate.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
I am in love with the greenery there.

Bilton hotels, world Bank Owerri.

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 9:35pm On Sep 27, 2014
spyder880: Owerri cheesy Great buildings, I think this is a private development.
looks like another hotel in owerri is about to be opened...just wish there can be a law banning erecting of hotels within owerri capital territory
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
Dee Sam Mbakwe road. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
1300 projects in less than 3 years!
This is great.

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
More beautiful buildings. ....

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
Chiwude: Abagworo, Berem, Igbo1st Son, Collynzo, Centj, this thread needs new updates and pictures. Those of us in Owerri, Orlu, Okigwe, Mbaise, Oguta, Ideato, Obowo, Njaba, Mbaitoli and environs should do the needful. I'm yet to set my eyes on the historic national monument of Imo - the magnificent Maria Assumpta Catedral Owerri. Neither have someone taken an aerial shot of the towering Imo Concorde hotel and neigbouring well paved estates overlooking it. The Port-Harcourt Road too is suffering from less coverage. The picture of the newly constructed Owerri city mall (Shoprite) deserves attention. It is obvious that the bulk of Owerri's beauty as a tourist destination is domicilled in the World Bank/New Owerri Area. The picture of the exclusively planned Imo State Secretariat Complex has not even been posted here. Not even once! Abagworo, Igbo1st Son and others what have you guyz been doing? You guyz are not good publicist. The project of the numerous Rochasque school buildings in the 27 local government of the state and General hospitals too are also been denied coverage. In towns like Orlu and Okigwe what stop nairalanders within those environs from posting beautiful pictures of the areas. The pictures of the Ideato dual road, Orlu Basilica and the Okigwe township needs to be updated ASAP. Those who keep posting pictures of Wetheral and Okigwe road environs should be ashamed of themselves. For crying out loud we are yet to see 50% of the Owerri city. From Ihiagwa down to Umuguma to Irete nothing has been seen. Sorry to bust your bubble Abagworo, I must confess that I am really disappointed with you guy. All you do is argue unnecessary with Chino whose only mission is to derail this beautiful Imo thread, turning it to an Imo vs Anambra bashing. Please borrow a leaf from Spyder of the famous Enugu - the pride of the east and keep this thread going. I will also appeal to Spyder to help us with some good pictures of Imo state per adventure he finds himself in Owerri. That guy is one hell of a photo publicist. Udo diri unu.
my dear I don't stay in owerri. I just come into the city and make effort to take picture of places or projects that hasn't been posted here, same way I do whenever I'am in enugu. Last time I was in new owerri, I avoided snaping places that has been posted here. I hardly go outside imo state capital. However, New owerri is expanding, at moderate rate tho'. Massive structures are being erected there, such structures you find in places like Abuja. The issue is, is the imo state government committed in sustaining and fast tracking this development? To me, I would say no, because the present government is focused on other aspect of development that directly affects the masses, projects like schools, hospitals, water and so on, unlike enugu state government that is aggressive about road, city expansion, policies and projects aimed at re-positioning the state as a destination point. The way I see it, is that south east governors observe that they have relatively small fund, so when developing their agenda, they tend to focus on some areas (or sectors) of development with little or no attention to other aspects. Like I said ealier, owerri will definitely develop into a city every igbo will be proud of, I pray each successive governor sticks to the masterplan and drive an orderly and sustainable development.
When next 'am in owerri, I will take more pictures, I was quite reluctant in taking pictures the last time I was there.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by spyder880(m): 9:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
I think this is around Library bus stop.

3 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by xtianh(m): 10:40pm On Sep 27, 2014
spyder880: I think this is around Library bus stop.

u are doing a great job man. Keep it up. It shall be well with u

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 12:02am On Sep 28, 2014
LordNaya:

Gov Rochas has attracted population to Orlu zone by attracting two tertiary institutions to Orlu zone, Personally, I want power to go to Okigwe zone in 2015. I don't want an APC government in Imo State. Imo State is not for APC !!!
Tertiary institution normally implies a multi faculty university or polytechnic. Thus, there are no two tertiary institutions attracted by Rochas to Orlu zone. School of Health he is building in Okporo is seen as a diversionary tactic from need to convert the university facility his govt is building in Ogboko into a public university. Imsuth Orlu has school of nursing already and has enough facility to host school of health tech. First thing Orlu asked Okorocha in 2011 is for a multi faculty university or polytechnic. Above all, whoever does not see having all five public universities and polytechnics in Imo state only in and around Oweri loves inequity. Imopoly is at the fringes of Oweri. Nearly every road Okorocha govy started in Orlu remains uncompleted and for three years running, they are severely hindering movement and economic development. Orlu stadium uncompleted, Proposed Prince Hotel on foundation level. Okorocha completes most projects he started in Owerri. No state in Nigeria has, and still promotes the sort of lopsided development as in Imo state.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by LordNaya: 1:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
spyder880: More beautiful buildings. ....

Thanks a million for your effort to contribute to this thread with lovely pictures. Please keep it.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
spyder880: I am in love with the greenery there.

Bilton hotels, world Bank Owerri.
Hotels everywhere! My question is who are those lodging in all these hotels?

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
spyder880: 1300 projects in less than 3 years!
This is great.
Nice one Spyder880
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by tawa89(f): 2:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
spyder880: Dee Sam Mbakwe road. cheesy
Wow This is nice....looks like an European city.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
centje: my dear I don't stay in owerri. I just come into the city and make effort to take picture of places or projects that hasn't been posted here, same way I do whenever I'am in enugu. Last time I was in new owerri, I avoided snaping places that has been posted here. I hardly go outside imo state capital. However, New owerri is expanding, at moderate rate tho'. Massive structures are being erected there, such structures you find in places like Abuja. The issue is, is the imo state government committed in sustaining and fast tracking this development? To me, I would say no, because the present government is focused on other aspect of development that directly affects the masses, projects like schools, hospitals, water and so on, unlike enugu state government that is aggressive about road, city expansion, policies and projects aimed at re-positioning the state as a destination point. The way I see it, is that south east governors observe that they have relatively small fund, so when developing their agenda, they tend to focus on some areas (or sectors) of development with little or no attention to other aspects. Like I said ealier, owerri will definitely develop into a city every igbo will be proud of, I pray each successive governor sticks to the masterplan and drive an orderly and sustainable development.
When next 'am in owerri, I will take more pictures, I was quite reluctant in taking pictures the last time I was there.
Good to hear that Centj. Me too I don't stay in Owerri. But I will definitely do some snapping of the beautiful Owerri landscape, whenever I travel for Xmas. In all honesty, I agree with all what you said about Rochas been committed to ensuring that the Owerri masterplan is strictly adhered to. Rochas I think hasn't failed in that aspect. Areas that were never part of the Owerri masterplan have been currently added to it. The last time I visited Owerri, I noticed that areas like Egbeada in Mbaitoli down to Ogbaku are now been overseen by the Owerri Capital Development Authority. In Akwakuma for instance the area has undergone significant changes. We now have a roundabout that connects it with the Orlu dual carriage way. Dotting the environs also, are beautiful flowers and street lamps intersected between the road. With the way the city is expanding, I forsee places like Orodo and Amaraku-Ikeduru making up the larger Owerri city in a decade from now. Also, I give Kudos to former Governors Udenwa and Ohakim who brought in innovations that made Owerri what it is today - a feat Rochas is currently leveraging upon.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by IGBOSON1: 3:18pm On Sep 28, 2014

^^^Nice....but i hope it's not another hotel!

Owerri is looking ok, but a bit scruffy! It just needs that final push to look its best: well swept streets, well cut and tended grass perimeters and verges, ornamental trees and shrubs, road markings, and adequate road signages!

On the whole i'd say Rochas had tried but he should tell whoever is responsible to tie up the loose ends mentioned above.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 28, 2014
berem: Hotels everywhere! My question is who are those lodging in all these hotels?
Berem I doubt if you understand the make up of Owerri. The first Civilian Governor of the Old Imo state Dee Sam Mbakwe never planned hosting heavy industries in Owerri. The city was developed exclusively for hospitality and housing. It's emergence wasn't a coincidence either. Owerri was once Shell BP's administrative headquaters. The Shell camp estate - located close to Government House - was one of the most beautiful and well planned housing unit in the whole eastern region. Check Achebe - There was a country. In contrast, the commercial nerve of the Old Imo state was mainly Aba and to a lesser extent Umuahia and Okigwe. Almost all the industries that were meant for Owerri were deliberately transfered to Aba. This continued till Abia got carved out from Imo in 1991. Apart from the Coca-cola plant in Owerri, you don't get to see multi-national companies there. Unless maybe, aluminum smelting firms and other small scale industries. Other companies like Consolidated Breweries were referred to places like Awo-Omanma. As it stands now any company that wants to build industries are likely going to be referred to areas like Okigwe, Orlu or neigbouring towns in the state. Only hospitality industries are allowed in Owerri - Hotels, Eateries, Amusement parks and others. To answer your question on who lodge in the hotels, I can simple tell you people. Oil servicing companies in P/H made Owerri their preferred destination during the militancy era of the Niger-Delta. In Aba and Onitsha for instance, the number one relaxation spot for business men are found in Owerri. As it stands currently, Owerri is the most preferred destination for social events in the whole East after P/H. During festive period Berem, you would hardly find spaces in hotel rooms. They are always usually filled to the brim. Little wonder the mad rush for landed properties in the town.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by LordNaya: 6:15pm On Sep 28, 2014
Imo Govt Sets To Prune Down Hotels as Imo Celebrate World Tourism Day
Stanley Uzoaru
— Sep 28, 2014 | Leave a comment

Following the number of wholesome hotels in Imo State, the state government has announced plans to shut down hotels established without official approval and operating below standards without relevant security devices and medical aids.

The state commissioner for Transport and Tourism, Chief Ken Anaeme disclosed this while briefing newsmen on programmes slated for the “2014 World Tourism Day” celebration in the state with the theme: “Tourism and Community Development”. He said that the measure is part of government’s efforts to sanitize, strengthen and boost tourism in the state.

Anaeme who also denied allegations of government imposition of N40,000 on each hotel proprietor in the state for the purchase of a piece of the nation’s flag said that a neutral body mutually selected by the government and the hotel owners is rather in charge of the project, adding that the N40,000 levy was a product of mutual agreement between the hotel owners and company in question.

Speaking extensively on the economic benefits of tourism, which, according to him, include job creation, business promotion, site seeing, rural transformation and spiritual uplift, Chief Anaeme said that the state currently boasts of over 200 hotels and over 150 tourist sites some of which are either fully developed or are undergoing development.

“We are not forcing hoteliers to buy pieces of the nation’s flags at N40,000 per piece but as corporate bodies, they (the hoteliers) must put up the Nigerian flag in their offices and premises and there is a company in charge of this”.

The commissioner drew attention to government’s free education programme, road constructions, general hospitals, provision of infrastructural facilities and the Blue Lake Treasure at Oguta, which, according to him, are all geared toward promoting tourism in the state, stressing that the World Tourism Day which takes place on the 27th of September annually as established by the United Nations, was meant to showcase the rich tourism potentials of the state to the world as encapsulated in a compendium for the information and awareness of members of the public.

http://leadership.ng/news/385459/imo-govt-sets-prune-hotels
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by anonimi: 6:21pm On Sep 28, 2014
berem: Hotels everywhere! My question is who are those lodging in all these hotels?

Kidnappers maybe
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by LordNaya: 6:32pm On Sep 28, 2014
It appears those clamouring for the reduction of hotels in Owerri are about to achieve their desire. One thing that is clear, is that the Imo state Govt generates a lot of revenue from hotels, bars, clubs and other relaxation service providers. These high taxes are meant to serve as a control measure for hotel proliferation but the volume of demand for hospitality services in Imo State keeps the establishment and supply of hospitality services in Imo State rising. Entreprenuers are motivated by profits and high demand.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 6:57pm On Sep 28, 2014
Imo state must develop - every nook and cranny.

Lowering from the sky in an aircraft negotiating to land at Sam Mbakwe Airport near Owerri, take a peep from the aircraft window: once you pass the modernity of Owerri and enter the Ngor-Okpalla/Mbaise axis, it is gross absence of modern infrastructure – mud roads, mud houses – under development at its worse. Same is the story in many other parts of Imo state long neglected by successive Imo state governments for the pleasure of the state capital, Owerri.

Only an inebriated or silly European or American would beat the drums for his/her city's modern infrastructures when authorities continuously MISAPPROPRIATE money commonly owned by the region/state/county to provide development infrastructures only in his/her city.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 7:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
Few Pix from Imo state.

This is a hole the present Imo state government dug near this St Joseph's Catholic Church at the centre of Orlu to collect Orlu floods. Flood problems have worsened since the hole was dug.

Action : Dig a gutter (less than 1km) to channel Orlu floods down a valley - before the next election. Flood palaver short.

Inaction: money invested by state and federal govts in building roads in Orlu area shall become waste before long.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2014
This is the only road to the state's university teaching hospital in Orlu. It is has remained this for about 95% of the time Okorocha is in office as governor of Imo state.

Action: repair the road - before the next election.
Inaction: Imo state government continues to lose revenues it should have got from the hospital.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 7:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
This is the ruins of Sam Okwaraji Stadium in Orlu. It was nearly completed save for the tracks when Okorocha came to office as governor of Imo state and partly destroyed the stadium.

Action: Return the stadium as it was in 2011, or provide a new one - before the next election.

Inaction: continuation of no organised sports for youths in this part of the state since Rochas Okorocha became governor.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Collynzo22: 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
Tourists use the hotels in Owerri, students who have the means also do so. People from PH, Aba and environs troop into Owerri on Fridays and weekends to have a good time.
Owerri wu ebe Ngwori!!
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
About 80% of the roads started by Okorocha administration in Orlu urban area remains uncompleted and disjointed.

Action: Complete and link up the most vital of these roads - before the next election.

Inaction: Continuing stifling of movement and economic activities in the area.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Onyegecha(f): 7:53pm On Sep 28, 2014
How many times will this same picture be posted on this thread? By the way, have you not heard that the school buildings are federal government projects? Even if it is a state project, only that one on Wetheral Road is in use after three years and half. Please stop this grand deceit.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 6:09am On Sep 29, 2014
The ostrich, Imo Governor and the sands of the state capital, Owerri

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (1038) (Reply)

Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.