Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,260 members, 7,829,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50163 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 8:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
Desola:

Mighty igor! angry

Anyway, just don't include Gbawe's name in the moderators abi na judge. I see that he has started indirect lobbying by being all over this thread like white on rice. Sheesh!

Ahem....hold on, let me clear my throat......aahhem! grin

Desola, admit it, you like flirting with Gbawe. cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
12 pages and still counting!! Nothing reasonable have been said.go to romance section and see how a debate is being organised! No too much noise! I hope my post is being hidden like others or probably I get a ban. "Goes back to viewers corner"
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
counting my ammo for the biggest debate the forum has ever witnessed.....officer jarus, where are the contestants?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 9:14pm On Oct 12, 2012
coogar: counting my ammo for the biggest debate the forum has ever witnessed.....officer jarus, where are the contestants?

Id love to go first if no conflict on my clock and calendar. Waiting to see schedule.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
Rather than complain about headway not being made, why don't we all make suggestions? I'm busy I the kitchen at the moment, but I'll be sure to return and assist Jarus. Others should do the same.

As per names of judges being revealed, I personally don't mind lol. Judges should offer constructive criticism. Whether he debater chooses to carry a grudge is on them. Judges don't hide themselves during competitions or other debates, so I don't see why we should.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
Gbawe:

How can anyone interpret my utterances here to be "lobbying"? It is clear I disqualified myself from Judging anything, yet those determined to carry hatred for others everywhere will still never stop malicious lies and utterances submitted carelessly and falsely to malign others.

@Jarus. Like PointB did, please rule me out entirely. I am no longer interested in taking part in any aspect of this debate initiative. I don't need this nonsense this forum has been reduced to where some just go around saying what they wan't carelessly and having the 'freedom of the manor' and even encouragement to attack and insult others from thread to thread. I won't join a process I can already see will only provide another avenue for insultive stalking and unprovoked personal attacks. Good luck raising the level of intellectual discourse here.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

bye, bye, don't let the door hit your ipako on your way out o.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Ahem....hold on, let me clear my throat......aahhem! grin

Desola, admit it, you like flirting with Gbawe. cheesy

I know his type, they like playing hard to get but i'll get him. grin grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gboliwe: 9:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
No. Names of Judges shouldnt be revealed. It'll brew bad blood.
This is all some serious fun. I'm sure many journalists and the Utomis and Elrufais are geering towards this. I am sure the impact of this debate will resonate longer and farther than we think now.
I also think the Judges are okay but you know we are in a 'free society', since a group say they are not happy with a particular judge, lets not force it. We still have so many others to choose from and i'm sure even Judge Coogar wants the very best for this debate
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 9:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
Talina has asked to be excused from the judges, citing 'I don't think I am up to judging a political debate, thanks'.

Resignation accepted with thanks.

We need another non-Nigerian to be on judges panel.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 12, 2012
Jarus dear, I said that I was not up to it...not that I couldnt smiley
Thanks again for asking
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
talina: Jarus dear, I said that I was not up to it...not that I couldnt smiley
Thanks again for asking
Modified. Thanks.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 10:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
Jarus: Talina has asked to be excused from the judges, citing 'I don't think I am up to judging a political debate, thanks'.

Resignation accepted with thanks.

We need another non-Nigerian to be on judges panel.

Im a non-Nigerian, can i get the job?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 10:14pm On Oct 12, 2012
Desola:

I know his type, they like playing hard to get but i'll get him. grin grin

...rotflmao!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ibime(m): 10:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
Hey man, nobody is getting paid for this debate.

In school my econs lecturer was right leaning whilst I was left leanimg yet I never scored less than 70% in any of his assignments.

Also last time I participated in a debate at school I had to argue in favour of ibb's policies yet I brought the trophy home for my house.

In summary, regardless of your political leanings, you win a debate by building an argument based on facts and your use of the english language.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Seun(m): 10:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
A different thread should be used for each debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 10:26pm On Oct 12, 2012
All this is just fine, if the debate is not fixed. We are saying that you can not have a fair debate when the judges are biased.

Ibime: Hey man, nobody is getting paid for this debate.

In school my econs lecturer was right leaning whilst I was left leanimg yet I never scored less than 70% in any of his assignments.

Also last time I participated in a debate at school I had to argue in favour of ibb's policies yet I brought the trophy home for my house.

In summary, regardless of your political leanings, you win a debate by building an argument based on facts and your use of the english language.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 10:31pm On Oct 12, 2012

Bullcrap! Jarus put me first on the debate list against Ibime. Negro_Ntns vs Ibime. Matter of fact, Ill tell you what....Ill start my own debate.

Ibime, what exactly is "fact", can you give a granular explanation and share with us what it is?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 10:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
The part in bold is why the judges were probably selected. I just wonder though with Gbawe gone will the opposition ranks not be seriously depleted?

Gboliwe: No. Names of Judges shouldnt be revealed. It'll brew bad blood.
This is all some serious fun. I'm sure many journalists and the Utomis and Elrufais are geering towards this. I am sure the impact of this debate will resonate longer and farther than we think now.
I also think the Judges are okay but you know we are in a 'free society', since a group say they are not happy with a particular judge, lets not force it. We still have so many others to choose from and i'm sure even Judge Coogar wants the very best for this debate
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:40pm On Oct 12, 2012
Seun: A different thread should be used for each debate.
Yes, that's the plan. This thread will only be used for planning.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 10:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
talina: Jarus dear, I said that I was not up to it...not that I couldnt smiley
Thanks again for asking

talina, why?? cry cry cry cry

that's the real mccoy!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 10:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
Jarus,

I took notice of a response from one of your judges...or perhaps I should say, "our judges", hinting on the criteria he will use to judge debates.

If im correct, the objective of this exercise is to produce progress-oriented proposals that have actionable and value-add merits for policy makers. Facts are valuable but so long it does not become an end in itself. The ulltimate is "truth".

Nigeria has never lacked facts.....but the laxity of truth is why we are stuck in a self-destructive orbital.

Pleae emphasize the value and importance of truth as the ultimate for this exercise.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
JUDGING CRITERIA

1, Presentation(opening, flow, closing) - 4 marks
2, Logic of arguments - 4 marks
3, Strenght of facts & examples - 4 marks
4, Grammar - 4 marks
5, Demonstration of knowledge/understanding of the subject - 4 marks

Is this ok? Or can we jointly tinker with it?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
Jarus: JUDGING CRITERIA

4, Grammar - 4 marks

-presentation
-persuasiveness
-wit
-logic
-style
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
LOL mehn you guys crack me up, every judge would have a pre bias to particular issues regardless they are humans after all. What is needed is a fair Judge, we dont live in a perfect world gents. Can those stifling the process take a seat back and let this thing move ahead? I am sure as time goes on the process would be fine tuned, me thinks the frame work built by Jarus is pretty robust.

4, Grammar - 4 marks

4. Grammer grin grin grin you mean obahiagbon style? grin grin Would some pidgin be allowed?

5. Hmmm that would be hard to judge, is that not going to be covered by logic of arguments and strength of facts?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 11:06pm On Oct 12, 2012

4, Grammar - 4 marks

Kai! would hate to have you mark my exam papers o.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DuduNegro: 11:08pm On Oct 12, 2012

4, Grammar - 4 marks

Is truth of the position important?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 11:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
Jarus,

Consider Edo.girl for Talina's place.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 11:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Is truth of the position important?

How do you judge truth? Is truth not covered by fact?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 11:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
Given the Nigerian factor, it may be wise to use "judges" to work towards moving the debates along smoothly, rather than making judgements one way or the other as to who won or is winning a debate. Judges can be instrumental in acting as fact checkers during the debates.

At the end of each debate, a 5-day poll of NL observers could be used to choose a winner. Moderators/Super mods can ensure that votes cast are valid and multiple ID voters are exposed and dealt with promptly.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 11:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
Katsumoto: Jarus,

Consider Edo.girl for Talina's place.

supported!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 11:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
ndu_chucks: Given the Nigerian factor, it may be wise to use "judges" to work towards moving the debates along smoothly, rather than making judgements one way or the other as to who won or is winning a debate. Judges can be instrumental in acting as fact checkers during the debates.

At the end of each debate, a 5-day poll of NL observers could be used to choose a winner. Moderators/Super mods can ensure that votes cast are valid and multiple ID voters are exposed and dealt with promptly.

First, If judges are meant to be fact checkers, then you may need to constitute a new set of judges for that purpose. That wasn't the intent of selecting the current judges.

Second, I doubt that the mods can ascertain those with multiple Ids most of the time.

Third, democracy is not useful in judging debates. I think a panel of judges should score the debates.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 11:54pm On Oct 12, 2012
Katsumoto:

First, If judges are meant to be fact checkers, then you may need to constitute a new set of judges for that purpose. That wasn't the intent of selecting the current judges.

Second, I doubt that the mods can ascertain those with multiple Ids most of the time.

Third, democracy is not useful in judging debates. I think a panel of judges should score the debates.

My suggestions are open for discussion and I welcome your views. Regarding your post, the super mods should be able to ascertain people with multiple ids, since, I believe IP addresses can be a basis for banning people.

If voting was useful in selecting you and others as Posters of the year, it should be good enough to declare debate winners. Just my opinion, sha. Whatever is decided is OK by me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (37) (Reply)

New Video Of President Buhari In Jos Got People Talking / President Buhari's Incredible Come Back Journey In one Picture / Femi Fani-Kayode In Green White Green With Yerima In Zamfara (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.