Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? (19302 Views)

Ten Ways To Marry The Wrong Person / Skinny, Hourglass, Curvy Or Phat Ladies! Which Do Nigerians Prefer? (with Pics) / [poll] Would You Prefer to Marry a Virgin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 26, 2012
Thank God we still av girls like vivian chinaza that still have good heads on their head. No one is saying u shudnt marry a rich man. But a lot of girls are greedy. For example my Ex gf now. I always knew she was greedy. One of the reasons I left her. Now she's suffering for it. Granted I was not serious but she got married shortly becos of greed. So one day she calls me crying telling me that she is tired of a 3 months marriage that she is unhappy that she shouldn't av married her husband but it was her greed. Can u imagine. I jst pity her husband. Many women don't understand that money doesn't equal happiness. Poverty doesn't equal happiness either. Success takes time. Some guys get lucky and start from the top. Some guys don't. My brothers first salary was 15k a month. Now he is earning 26 million a year in an oil company. Then he was gettin none. Now he is getting a lot. Later girls will cme to NL and say rich guys are wicked. Before nko.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by nikkoo(m): 4:24pm On Dec 26, 2012
vivian chinaza: I'm from a very humble background or should I say poor? Yea poor sounds like it, "humble" just makes it bearable, Lol, ok. But rich guys keep coming for me, and no one has ever cared about my family's financial/social status. In fact, that's the first thing I tell them, I'm always like "dear, don't let my looks deceive you, I'm from a very humble background o." I'm Vivian, and that should be enough!
So contrary to your opinion, majority of guys don't actually care.

A lot of ladies who have misplaced their priorities actually care about how rich a guy is before they consider him and I just pity them. I just hope they realize that the life of a man is a mystery. A man's life can change in a twinkle of an eye.

I'm friends with a lot of people who at one time couldn't even afford a decent meal, but just one phone call changed their lives for best, and vice versa.

Last year, I did a job for this couple that had no house. The groom is my friend and as at then the most valuable property he had was his laptop. In fact, when he told me he was getting married I was like "are u crazy?" Cos he didn't even have a house. Few weeks to the wedding someone gave them a room in his flat and they were squatting there. Whenever I went to the house to discuss their wedding I was always like "how could this girl get married to a man that doesn't have a house?" Honestly, I couldn't understand, I couldn't even think of myself doing it. Well, there marriage is a year old and they are now living in one of the beautifully furnished house I have ever seen.

Stories like this humble me, and I of all the things I have seen in my few years on earth, I have known that riches cannot be guaranteed. I have also known that life is a mystery.

So if you fall in love with someone from a rich background good, if you fall in love with someone from a humble background good too. Marrying a rich person is not a crime, marrying a poor person is not a crime either, provided that LOVE is the driving force.
hmmmmm 9icd one........does dat have ear,let dem hear!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by chiboy1928(m): 4:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
The problem with our nigerian girls is dat most of dem are greedy,some are so desparate to get it by force not minding how the guy got the wealth in the first place and dis has lead most of dem into unhappy marriage,they forget dat God never destined anyone to be poor,but he said when u work hard I will mutliply the fruit of your labour dat jst the simple truth.we should learn from other western world they don't chase money the way our ladies do in these part of the world,some foolish guys also do desperate tings to get money all in the name to satisfy our girls,dis has lead some guys to go into armed robbery,drugs,and other evil act just to make money and please the women folks.my advice to ladies is dat if u are in a relationship date a guy dat has got a zeal, passion,desire,goals and determination,though strugggling to make it stand by him and give him all the support he need to get to the top I assured you that guy will neveer forget u,cos someday he is gonna look back and said honey I remember when the going was tough,but u stand by me and encourage me to move ahead and now see what I have become.he will appreciate you for all the encouragements and it will be difficult for him let you go off him,minding the fact that u stood by him when the going was tough.but dis days such kinda of ladies are so rare to find,most girls nw want already made finished goods,but somtimes I ask myself what about if the money is no longer they dat means the love and relationship will crush also,then she will go around looking for anoda mr dangote it so pathetic,also our guys don't learn they also feel money makes the worLd and when they get broke and the money is no longer they,the girl is gone out of they life ,then u will see dem sayin hmmm so dis girl is just after my money,now am broke she is gone dat girl is wicked nt minding the fact that you as a guy caused it urself.most guys dis days they tend to boast and lie a lot to our ladies some of them even go to the extent of hiring cars,people house to impress our ladies for God sake guys u dnt need all dat just be urself,if she is meant for u,she will stand by u both in the good times and bad times,please it just an advice don't go into robbery and crime to satisfy a lady please just be urself and be natural and i bet you if she is meant for u,u will surely know u don't need a soothsayer to interprer dat for u cheers!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by twentycent(m): 4:56pm On Dec 26, 2012
Let us all learn to believe in God and in our personal abilities, let us also bear it in mind @all times that money makes the world go round but doesn't define true happiness, let us learn to know that vanity is all that we call wealth but the best that can happen to a human is experiencing true love and happiness, let us know that for a fact marriage is a union and not a meeting where one comes to gain but to sacrifice for the good of the family, love is one of the wonders of the world but shouldn't be hitched on money, let us learn to know that even a fool can have money but love is sacred.

Marriage is all about finding a good partner who will be there thru thick and thin, for better or worse but its not for fools, rich or poor in marriage, money shouldn't be a determinant.

Life is sweet, life is beautiful..love is life for those who understand the basics. But our preference to marry shouldn't be based on money or wealth.

...Just my twentycent.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by tpia5: 5:32pm On Dec 26, 2012
The thing isnt to make others feel bad about wanting money, folks are just stating their preference and why.

My own opinion for example, about not being able to date or marry into a rich family, is my personal pov, and not applicable to anyone else, note the sneezing fellow.

If i know your family is rich, i simply do not date you, this has always been my philosophy and that's just the way i see it. Growing up poor in nigeria probably contributed a lot to this. The social strata is a bit more rigid in my experience, and to the best of my knowledge, most rich guys werent interested in me either, as far as i know. Even in ife, we look at each other but levels are different. Quarters boys, partying, trips abroad, etc, not my thing and vice versa. Everybody sticks to their comfort zone.

Its probably easier for a man to marry up than it is for a woman to do the same, since women tend to relax their standards after a while. A man typically can prefer to marry from a rich family while reserving something on the side for runs girls, housemaids, hookers, etc - to him, this is a win win situation.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Charliemorgano(m): 5:43pm On Dec 26, 2012
I prefer a lady who is intelligent and hardworking to that whose parents are rich.
E.g..just met a lady .graduate and very jovial what shocked me was that she doesn't have a BB and never felt bothered she said she has better projects to execute with money than to buy BB...i was impressed that a Nigerian Lady in Lagos can reason like that...i don't have a BB either and we laughed over it..i also realized she is very hardworking with high projections SHE WON MY HEART .today we are best of friends

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by iamtheprincipal: 2:05am On Dec 27, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Yea, you are absolutely right. That is why you should see to it that your girl child/children is/are given a solid foundation morally. I usually tell people that a lady's personality is 80% dependent on the kind of family she was raised in. We all have our roots!
The earlier parents start teaching their children, especially their girls that there is no short cut to life the better for all of us! You want good life huh? Then you must work for it! Things get tough? Sit your azz down and deal with it! Above all, teach them to be contented with what they have, and the only way you can achieve this is leading by example.

So yea, it a huge problem but talking alone can't fix it!

There are good girls out there, they might not be saints but they are good, they understand how life works, they understand the difference between realities and fantasies/fairy tales. I pray you encounter one.

@Vivian; you are the very first lady to have won my instant admiration for your way reasoning.
I wish there are more like you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by iamtheprincipal: 2:16am On Dec 27, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Yea, you are absolutely right. That is why you should see to it that your girl child/children is/are given a solid foundation morally. I usually tell people that a lady's personality is 80% dependent on the kind of family she was raised in. We all have our roots!
The earlier parents start teaching their children, especially their girls that there is no short cut to life the better for all of us! You want good life huh? Then you must work for it! Things get tough? Sit your azz down and deal with it! Above all, teach them to be contented with what they have, and the only way you can achieve this is leading by example.

There are good girls out there, they might not be saints but they are good, they understand how life works, they understand the difference between realities and fantasies/fairy tales. I pray you encounter one.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by iamtheprincipal: 2:28am On Dec 27, 2012
vivian chinaza:

@Vivian; you are the very first lady to have won my instant admiration for your of way reasoning.
I wish there are more like you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by iamtheprincipal: 2:37am On Dec 27, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 27, 2012
Kzinne: guy dont fall for her tricks, all na packaging

What's the Hatin' for I bow o!
She's got over a hundred n twenty likes n counting, that shows something

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by bukatyne(f): 8:01am On Dec 27, 2012
LesbianBoy:
Younglady, this is so not true! If you say lots of Rich couples are not happy, lemme ask you So extremely poor couples are happy abi?
They are not unhappy b'cos they are rich but b'cos they didn't marry for love. If they re poor, it's d same. Besides, poverty is a state of d mind. If we are content and live within our means, we ll live a full life. Dolly Patterson's 'Coat of Many Colours' comes to mind. It's a beautiful song on contentment.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Switsex(f): 8:16am On Dec 27, 2012
chiboy1928: The problem with our nigerian girls is dat most of dem are greedy,some are so desparate to get it by force not minding how the guy got the wealth in the first place and dis has lead most of dem into unhappy marriage,they forget dat God never destined anyone to be poor,but he said when u work hard I will mutliply the fruit of your labour dat jst the simple truth.we should learn from other western world they don't chase money the way our ladies do in these part of the world,some foolish guys also do desperate tings to get money all in the name to satisfy our girls,dis has lead some guys to go into armed robbery,drugs,and other evil act just to make money and please the women folks.my advice to ladies is dat if u are in a relationship date a guy dat has got a zeal, passion,desire,goals and determination,though strugggling to make it stand by him and give him all the support he need to get to the top I assured you that guy will neveer forget u,cos someday he is gonna look back and said honey I remember when the going was tough,but u stand by me and encourage me to move ahead and now see what I have become.he will appreciate you for all the encouragements and it will be difficult for him let you go off him,minding the fact that u stood by him when the going was tough.but dis days such kinda of ladies are so rare to find,most girls nw want already made finished goods,but somtimes I ask myself what about if the money is no longer they dat means the love and relationship will crush also,then she will go around looking for anoda mr dangote it so pathetic,also our guys don't learn they also feel money makes the worLd and when they get broke and the money is no longer they,the girl is gone out of they life ,then u will see dem sayin hmmm so dis girl is just after my money,now am broke she is gone dat girl is wicked nt minding the fact that you as a guy caused it urself.most guys dis days they tend to boast and lie a lot to our ladies some of them even go to the extent of hiring cars,people house to impress our ladies for God sake guys u dnt need all dat just be urself,if she is meant for u,she will stand by u both in the good times and bad times,please it just an advice don't go into robbery and crime to satisfy a lady please just be urself and be natural and i bet you if she is meant for u,u will surely know u don't need a soothsayer to interprer dat for u cheers!!!
What is dis fool saying
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by DOD1: 9:09am On Dec 28, 2012
vivian chinaza: I'm from a very humble background or should I say poor? Yea poor sounds like it, "humble" just makes it bearable, Lol, ok. But rich guys keep coming for me, and no one has ever cared about my family's financial/social status. In fact, that's the first thing I tell them, I'm always like "dear, don't let my looks deceive you, I'm from a very humble background o." I'm Vivian, and that should be enough!
So contrary to your opinion, majority of guys don't actually care.

A lot of ladies who have misplaced their priorities actually care about how rich a guy is before they consider him and I just pity them. I just hope they realize that the life of a man is a mystery. A man's life can change in a twinkle of an eye.

I'm friends with a lot of people who at one time couldn't even afford a decent meal, but just one phone call changed their lives for best, and vice versa.

Last year, I did a job for this couple that had no house. The groom is my friend and as at then the most valuable property he had was his laptop. In fact, when he told me he was getting married I was like "are u crazy?" Cos he didn't even have a house. Few weeks to the wedding someone gave them a room in his flat and they were squatting there. Whenever I went to the house to discuss their wedding I was always like "how could this girl get married to a man that doesn't have a house?" Honestly, I couldn't understand, I couldn't even think of myself doing it. Well, their marriage is a year old and they are now living in one of the beautifully furnished houses I have ever seen.

Stories like this humble me, and I of all the things I have seen in my few years on earth, I have known that riches cannot be guaranteed. I have also known that life is a mystery.

So if you fall in love with someone from a rich background good, if you fall in love with someone from a humble background good too. Marrying a rich person is not a crime, marrying a poor person is not a crime either, provided that LOVE is the driving force.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adconline(m): 9:34am On Dec 28, 2012
[quote author=Pinkyshron]Letz b realistic nobdy luvs sufferin....'M also 4rm a humble backqround n av bin denied a lot of tinz and humilated just because 'm not so rich...luv dosnt put food on d table moni dos...wen 2 pple marry solely because of luv n diaz no moni..they become frustrated..xpecialy d men dae turn 2 alcohol n al...d marriaqe won't just b a hapi 1...then u both bring kids in2 d wrld 2 let dem suffa n it hurts wen ur kids ask u 4 somtin n u can't qiv it 2 dem....getting married 2 a poor man wif d hope dah he'l become rich somday is gambling nt dat it dosnt hapen..but dats a gamble most pple r nt willn 2 take.... if u r lucky ur wish myt kum tru..if u r nt u'l spend d rest of ur life suffering n beqqing pple 4 moni when in need...I dont want dat kind of lyf I want my kids 2 have a comfortable n qood life..I myself also wants a comfortable lyf...itz nt lyk 'm qonna marry a man dat so wealthy that his wealth is evn suspicous but som1 who can make me n ma kids happy n I'll definately know d source of [quote].

Great insight into ur belief, but I would like to know what you are doing on your own to make sure that your kids have it better than you have had? Are u waiting for the " man" to come prepared without u doing much to compliment? As Jay-Z would say" what do u bring to the table?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adim2(m): 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
Nobody wants to be poor or marry from a poor background We understand that. But ђã†̥ most ladies don't understand is that they have allowed desperation aπϑ their poverty of thought spoil and labelled them a 'GOLD DIGGER'. Some ladies have not even entered into a relationship properly and they have started making high demands. Even if i'm from wealthy home, hello i am not father christmas. Who will like to date a lady that on your first date she makes lots of demand at τ̲̅ђe eatery and even have τ̲̅ђe effrontery to ask Ɣøû for take away. Most guys detest this and such act makes τ̲̅ђe lady look like a gold digger. Even if you are out for the money why use it as a first option? There are other things that are more important than money. There is this believe i have. I am not suppose to chase after wealth, but rather chase after those things that will make wealth chase after Ɣøû aπϑ one of this things is Knowledge aπϑ Information.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by tpia5: 4:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
the assumption that nothing matters but money.

money is important, true, but basing your entire life's meaning around it, e get as e be. undecided

then too, greed plays a large part, and what yorubas call "ojowu".

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can Two Siblings Date Or Marry Two Other Siblings From Another Family / My Strippers Night Out Sexcapade.. My People The Experience Was Something Else.. / Why Men Cannot Do Without Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.