Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Ask An African-american A Question - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ask An African-american A Question (20285 Views)

Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Hero(m): 1:56pm On Mar 17, 2008
Any research or just a wild guess?

Wild guess.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Hero(m): 1:58pm On Mar 17, 2008
@poster,why do AA's eat akpu with ofe onugbo with fork and knife ?

I don't know what the hell that is, so if we do eat it, you must refer to it by it English name, else I can't give you a good answer on that one bud. undecided
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Hero(m): 2:12pm On Mar 17, 2008
Why are AA's so insecure.
yálll love to play on the 'we have no money' ride

Insecure? Humm, that's a first; I've heard arrogant and stubborn before though most would never say insecure. Humm, now first of al-- we must get this strait, by bringing to light the very fact of that not all of any group is any way. Sure, some or possibly many may be insecure for various reasons, and it all goes back to what these such individuals have experience in their PERSONAL LIVES to make them that way. I personally am a very cocky arrogant African-American who expresses know-how character all the time, and most of the African-Americans I know and grew up around are the same way and for some as is the case with all people--- this character has worked for them and for some it has not. It's all about the individual. I've personally known very few who anyone would describe as being insecure about most anything; insecurity is not very well known African-American expressed trait my friend. Perhaps you are using the wrong term for the behavior in which you are thinking of? undecided
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Hero(m): 2:35pm On Mar 17, 2008
Why do current CDC statistics state that one in two "Black" American females have an STD? While their white counterparts record one in four? YOU only make up about 13% of of the US gen pop. What's up with that? Our African brothers are in some serious trouble ooooooooooooooooooooh! You know it will definitely spread to the motherland on those famous Christmas trips every year. May God save us all from your new religion.

Una legs no dey clooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose?

Is spreading the gospel according to STDs a new religion for you guys, looking for converts?

You make jokes, though this is a very serious situation. 1/4 of the nations females period have some form of STD. Now, as far as the rates amongst the individual races in the nation, one must take into account health care standing between the races and-- and with that in mind take note of the fact of that whites have a significantly better and higher rate of health care coverage than Hispanic and African-Americans.

Better health care provides you with the means to do your medical visits ate private clinics. Private clinics are not made to make their clients records public knowledge unless the clients give consent. This even includes release of the information for statistical research. Most people (85%) who do attend private clinics do not give the clinic the authority to use their information in any public forum.

White attend private clinics at much higher rates than black and Hispanics, and thus consistently when such health studies are done whites are majorly under diagnosed in these projects. This is actually a well noted very troubling event in which the much of the medical field in the nation is being very hush, hush about, in that some powerful figure s see some form of benefit in making the nations white population not look as ill as it really is. My wife is a physician and we have many friends who are, and it's a well known fact amongst all of them that whites are drastically under diagnosed in many of these such studies, to their own detriment.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 2:38pm On Mar 17, 2008
whites having better "cover-up" doesnt change the fact that blacks esp black women are leading on the STD polls. so instead of the "well whites have STDs too" how about we focus on the black community for the moment
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by almondjoy(f): 2:43pm On Mar 17, 2008
Hero:

You make jokes, though this is a very serious situation. 1/4 of the nations females period have some form of STD. Now, as far as the rates amongst the individual races in the nation, one must take into account health care standing between the races and-- and with that in mind take note of the fact of that whites have a significantly better and higher rate of health care coverage than Hispanic and African-Americans.

Better health care provides you with the means to do your medical visits ate private clinics. Private clinics are not made to make their clients records public knowledge unless the clients give consent.
This even includes release of the information for statistical research. Most people (85%) who do attend private clinics do not give the clinic the authority to use their information in any public forum.

White attend private clinics at much higher rates than black and Hispanics, and thus consistently when such health studies are done whites are majorly under diagnosed in these projects. This is actually a well noted very troubling event in which the much of the medical field in the nation is being very hush, hush about, in that some powerful figure s see some form of benefit in making the nations white population not look as ill as it really is. My wife is a physician and we have many friends who are, and it's a well known fact amongst all of them that whites are drastically under diagnosed in many of these such studies, to their own detriment.

The point is that you only constitute like 13% of the population.  Why do you guys have a higher incidence of STDs is the question?  Even if whites have a stats of 2 out of 3, it would not bother me as much as 13% of the total population being blacks with a 50th percentile infection rate.

I hope you are not trying to make excuses for something you should take responsiblity of? undecided  Look within your community and solve the problems within first before you start worrying about what whites and hispanics are doing.

"Blacks" need to learn to accept responsiblities for their actions before looking elsewhere.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 2:44pm On Mar 17, 2008
Exactly.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 17, 2008
Hero:

Better health care provides you with the means to do your medical visits ate private clinics. Private clinics are not made to make their clients records public knowledge unless the clients give consent. This even includes release of the information for statistical research. Most people (85%) who do attend private clinics do not give the clinic the authority to use their information in any public forum.

This is the lie of the century.
Patients don't have to sign any consent forms for their diagnosis and disease progression to be used for research purposes.
as long as they're not filling out a questionnaire and all you're doing is a chart review kind of research to gather statistics you don't need a consent
The reseacher is only required to abide by HIPAA law to ensure confidentiality (and all Hospitals have a committee that gives an OK before any work is done.)
This means that the patients personal identity must not be disclosed and cannot be found out by anyone else.
However if the disease of interest, the name,adresses and phone number are given to the right authorities.
How do you think they tracked down the TB guy last year who flew to Europe?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 17, 2008

If your wife has this mentally of "they're out to get us" then of course her reasoning would be in line.
Whites being underdiagnosed is the most absurd thing I've ever heard ,what I've heard from black apologists like youself is that blacks are underdiagnosed which again has nothing to do with quality of health care but everything to do with the fact that the average AA doesn't go for annual physicals so are diagnosed in more advanced stages of the illnesses and for some reason don't follow up with recommended regimens when compared to whites
How do you explain the fact that blacks are more likely to die of cancers,complications of HBP,diabetes,AIDS than whites?
is it due to overdiagnosis of whites? undecided
you're not making any sense dear.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 3:41pm On Mar 17, 2008
you dey mind am? Everyone is entitled to confidentality unless like you said it's a diease of interest

Either way it's still a lame excuse, the whole "well white people have it too!" doesnt answer the question
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 17, 2008
TOH,of course Hero is talking to a bunch of Africans,in his mind what do they know?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Hero(m): 4:04pm On Mar 17, 2008
almondjoy:

The point is that you only constitute like 13% of the population. Why do you guys have a higher incidence of STDs is the question? Even if whites have a stats of 2 out of 3, it would not bother me as much as 13% of the total population being blacks with a 50th percentile infection rate.

I hope you are not trying to make excuses for something you should take responsiblity of? undecided Look within your community and solve the problems within first before you start worrying about what whites and hispanics are doing.

"Blacks" need to learn to accept responsiblities for their actions before looking elsewhere.

That response had nothing to do with making excuses for the outragously high rates in discussion. It was simply a response to help you gain clarification of your question in which is posted below.

Why do current CDC statistics state that one in two "Black" American females have an STD? While their white counterparts record one in four?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why, not only the black females of this nation, but the white and Hispanic as well, have the astronomically high STD rates they have. Society in this nation promotes behaviors and mindsets in which places them in predicaments in which breeds such haphazard behaviors that bring about these high rates. Everything from the music, to the music videos, to the TV shows that come on the boob tube all promotes trashy behavior. Parents, stopped parenting properly, for the most part, in this nation a long time ago, and from then on generations have been progressively getting worst and worst. When this will change for the better, I have no idea, possibly not until its effects reach a catastrophic level.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 4:07pm On Mar 17, 2008
One group still has it higher than the others despite them ALL being exposed to the same "trashy tv and violent degrading music", this DEGRADING music made by YOUR people Btw.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Hero(m): 4:20pm On Mar 17, 2008
D-reloaded:

One group still has it higher than the others despite them ALL being exposed to the same "trashy tv and violent degrading music", this DEGRADING music made by YOUR people Btw.

Every popularly known American-Music style was created by African-Americans. You do know this right?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 4:34pm On Mar 17, 2008
unfortunately it's the crap that is now popular

and yes I am aware but that doesnt stop black people from calling those who DONT listen to the "hippity hop" as being 'white washed" therefore, THEY must not know they are also behind the so called "whitey" music

Btw, stay on topic.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Blatant: 5:24pm On Mar 17, 2008
There are still several questions unanswered o
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by EXPONENT(m): 6:47pm On Mar 17, 2008
From the CIA factbook

Nigeria
Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2004 est.)

Life expectancy at birth:
total population: 50.49 years
male: 50.35 years
female: 50.63 years (2004 est.)
HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate:
5.8% (2001 est.)
HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS:
3.5 million (2001 est.)
HIV/AIDS - deaths:
170,000 (2001 est.)

clean up your own yard before you attack another.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 17, 2008
STATISTICS
HIV/AIDS in 2005

According to the 2000 census, blacks make up approximately 13% of the US population. However, in 2005, blacks accounted for 18,121 (49%) of the estimated 37,331 new HIV/AIDS diagnoses in the United States in the 33 states with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting [2].*

Of all black men living with HIV/AIDS, the primary transmission category was sexual contact with other men, followed by injection drug use and high-risk heterosexual contact [2].

Of all black women living with HIV/AIDS, the primary transmission category was high-risk heterosexual contact, followed by injection drug use [2].

Of the estimated 141 infants perinatally infected with HIV, 91 (65%) were black (CDC, HIV/AIDS Reporting System, unpublished data, December 2006).

Of the estimated 18,849 people under the age of 25 whose diagnosis of HIV/AIDS was made during 2001–2004 in the 33 states with HIV reporting, 11,554 (61%) were black [3].

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/aa/resources/factsheets/aa.htm
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 17, 2008
aids prevalence and transmission amongst AA

Re: Ask An African-american A Question by naijadiva2(f): 7:09pm On Mar 17, 2008
EXPONENT:

From the CIA factbook

Nigeria
Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2004 est.)

Life expectancy at birth:
total population: 50.49 years
male: 50.35 years
female: 50.63 years (2004 est.)
HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate:
5.8% (2001 est.)
HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS:
3.5 million (2001 est.)
HIV/AIDS - deaths:
170,000 (2001 est.)

clean up your own yard before you attack another.

ok so posting this makes you feel so much better?  bravo. no one said that there's no AIDS in Nigeria. AIDS is everywhere.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by naijadiva2(f): 7:12pm On Mar 17, 2008
nwando:

aids prevalence and transmission amongst AA

thanks for the info. how can you compare black people who make up 13% of a country to nigeria of 140 million people?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by MsLurker(f): 7:17pm On Mar 17, 2008
I know I might get flamed for this, but I don't care (if I do).
But, I really think that people don't see how HIGH the ratio is for black men who are doing the gay sex.
I'm sorry but the black culture isn't open to that.
If they would be a little more accepting. The guys wouldn't be on the downlow about it and not be in denial.

The fact is, people want to be in denial both men and women.
If you are a guy who likes men, own that.

Women need to protect themselves always because I'm sorry you can't have someone who will always have your back. Some are afraid they will lose a good man by being vocal about protection or an STD test (I've heard this directly).

But if you are woman who likes it raw and you don't ask the right questions or get tested. Then you need to own it and not cry foul when something happens.

I'm sorry but that's nonesense and nothing will ever get better.

I rather be alone than with someone that I can't fully be protected the way I want.

AIDS is everywhere. I really don't see the point in pointing fingers at Nigerians or AA's.
Carelessness is what is keeping AIDS out there. What is being done about it, constructively?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 7:24pm On Mar 17, 2008
they are blamed cos they dont protect themselves better like their counterparts, Lurker

At least if you guys wanna dio the whole Africa comparison which doesnt make sense cos most countrie sin Africa are in denial of education about the diease, being ultra conservative and against sex education.

Seeing that the States constantly throws such information down our throats, what's stopping BAs from listening? After all the same info is being exposed to ALL americans. what's their excuse. i understand the down-ow thing but why are black women that foolish to take on such risk thus making them the highest on the bloody list
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by naijadiva2(f): 7:31pm On Mar 17, 2008
D-reloaded:

they are blamed because they don't protect themselves better like their counterparts, Lurker

At least if you guys want to dio the whole Africa comparison which doesnt make sense because most countrie sin Africa are in denial of education about the diease, being ultra conservative and against sex education.

Seeing that the States constantly throws such information down our throats, what's stopping BAs from listening? After all the same info is being exposed to ALL americans. what's their excuse. i understand the down-ow thing but why are black women that foolish to take on such risk thus making them the highest on the bloody list

ok, i was going to say something until you posted this. both of you have good points.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 7:32pm On Mar 17, 2008
you can still add yours diva. Im interested smiley
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by naijadiva2(f): 7:41pm On Mar 17, 2008
i was basically going to say i agree 100% with ms luker and then you brought your own idea that made sense. but both ideas are good though.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by MsLurker(f): 8:02pm On Mar 17, 2008
D-reloaded:

they are blamed because they don't protect themselves better like their counterparts, Lurker

At least if you guys want to dio the whole Africa comparison which doesnt make sense because most countrie sin Africa are in denial of education about the diease, being ultra conservative and against sex education.

I have question for you D. Purely out of curiousity. If people in Africa are watching what we do, and you see how careless some people are about AIDS? Wouldn't that want you all to educate each other more in that arena to prevent you guys from having our issues?

About the black women and not getting it. I'm a black american and sometimes I don't get it. BUT I know love blinds people and some women NEED a man, So they do what they can to keep them. Some don't know he has it and they trust him because "he" wouldn't do that.

I'm in Atlanta and 1 out of 3 or 4 (something like that) black men are on the downlow. To not protect yourself in this day and age NO MATTER where you come from to me is asinine. But to each is own.

Your protection is left up to you. Information is out there, whether you choose to seek it, it's up to the person.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by almondjoy(f): 8:07pm On Mar 17, 2008
I think Ms Lurker should have started this thread.  All Hero/EXPONENT wanted to do was incite an African/Black American divide.  Hero, quit being such a coward.  Your wife is also a representative of that Nigeria you so love to diss!  A bonafide Nigerian "Igbo" lady according to you. Whenever it suits you. . .you bring up the fact that she has never been to Nigeria while you have slept in all most all the road side motels from Adamawa to Yenogoa and back to Zamfara in Nigeria. All this one you are changing your name back and forth will not hide the fact that you really do not have any answers to the questions being brought to your attention. 

All you wanted to do. . .as usual is to express your views on how superior the culturallly and psychologically displaced typical "Black American" is over the typical impoverished "African".  Like we are begging to switch places with you guys or something? undecided  I have explained to you several times black is black. . . .does not matter which part of the world you live in.  We are all in a collectively sinking boat and really cannot help each other much. So come off your high horse and stop making excuses. We all have our issues perculiar to individuals and groups. I have accepted mine. . . you accept yours!

Get used to it hon'! kiss
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by almondjoy(f): 8:15pm On Mar 17, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

I have question for you D. Purely out of curiousity. If people in Africa are watching what we do, and you see how careless some people are about AIDS? Wouldn't that want you all to educate each other more in that arena to prevent you guys from having our issues?

About the black women and not getting it. I'm a black american and sometimes I don't get it. BUT I know love blinds people and some women NEED a man, So they do what they can to keep them. Some don't know he has it and they trust him because "he" wouldn't do that.

I'm in Atlanta and 1 out of 3 or 4 (something like that) black men are on the downlow. To not protect yourself in this day and age NO MATTER where you come from to me is asinine. But to each is own.

Your protection is left up to you. Information is out there, whether you choose to seek it, it's up to the person.

Once again. . .thank you for your maturity. Remember Hero started this thread and I think he needs to borrow another "rib" from you. He does not get it and needs a lot more education than most of us here as you can see. Please educate your brother. kiss
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 8:28pm On Mar 17, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

Like I said Lurker, I'll be the first to tell you Africans are hypocrites. I even have "enemies here cos I have no problem saying this and Im called 'american wannabe" which is fine with me. Just saying in Africa andffor example Nigeria, most parents rather hide their head in the sand in regards to things like sex, etc. They want to live in the dream land where everyone is a virgin and gets married as virgins. they rather not believe otherwise so they dont bother educating their children, you're right, you'd think by now they'll learn but they dont. They rather stick to their Conservative denial ways and "pray for the best", you'll hardly see people passing out pamphlets or condoms telling you to protect yourself , instead they rather just scream abstinence which most people OBVIOUSLY dont follow but they dont care. They rather preach that and pray you listen, never the alternative. they believe telling people about condoms and such will make them become promiscuous.

It's different in the States, yes in SOME ways the US is conservative however this doesnt stop them from spreading information about this, sex education classes, absence classes, various options, you have planned parenting, various clinics, everything that can help people rather than just leave them in the dark so I have a problem that in a country where all these things exist, all these info is being pushed on us, black americans STILL rank high. condoms are bloody free in planned parenthood, what is stopping them from using it, even if the dude is on the d/l, i pose the same comments towards the high % of teen pregnancies in the black community as well. What exactly is their problem and I dont wanna freaking hear anything about inner city youths like exponent/hero like to throw at people. Dont care how poor you are, condoms are given out like bloody candy here.

You can never see anyone do such in Nigeria due to shame.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by MsLurker(f): 8:38pm On Mar 17, 2008
I think it boils down to whether you want to educate yourself or not.

Some folks like to "hope for the best."

My family didn't talk to me about sex once. Not at all. I never brought up the topic with them, either but I'm not one to be ignorant and I rather go into something knowing what I'm dealing with instead of following blindly.

I have friends who have STD's and they didn't think their partner had it. Friends that had babies because they didn't want to stop and get protection because "one time couldn't possibly cause pregnancy". And you are right, we have an arsenal of information and free clinics so for anyone to say they couldn't afford birth control would be a lie because a lot of it is free, if you know where to go. But some rather be in their cloud of ignorance or laziness and leave it up to someone else to think for them. Or they trust to easily and OUT of all the people in the US, it couldn't POSSIBLY happen to them. It's amazing how some people think they are indestructible.

I'm paranoid, personally. grin
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 9:00pm On Mar 17, 2008
Everyone should be paranoid. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

How many languages are in your state? / Oba Of Ikeja Is Dead: Computer Village and Other Markets Shut Down! / Current Ibo (delta Ibo/anambra) Names For Baby Boys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.