Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,704 members, 7,831,208 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14335 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

Please forgive my curiousity, I will like you to once again put up the link or title of the books that supports your initial assertion that OJUKWU WANTED WAR. Moreover you are still stating that Ojukwu went to war in this last post.
History makes me to understand that Ojukwu was forced to defend his people against external agrression, how does that equate to going to War.
Am only interested in reading the account of History that states that OJUKWU WANTED WAR as you initially asserted in the earlier post I quoted, for I am a student of History.

Dude, go back and read what I wrote and stop trying to hump me like a hor.ny homo. Nobody said Ojukwu wasnt forced to defend Igbos. History made you understand one thing, and History made me understand another, you cant force your beliefs on me, just like I cant force mine on you so stop trying. Im not your teacher so you would have to look for those links youre demanding yourself; or better yet scroll through my old posts. When you refuse every entreaty and efforts at peace then all youre asking for is the opposite. When you threaten war if youre not given all that you asked for then what does that mean?

Bro, please miss me with your sentimental bullshiyyyt.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2013
T9ksy:

I stand by my statement- ojukwu 419ed his people.

Initially, it was "once you (the fleeing ibos from the north and elsewhere in the coutry) crosses this line, you

are home safe" then it morphed to "the northerners were intending to march down to the east and exterminate the

whole ibo race" so they (the ibos) have no choice but to fight for their lives. However, when shiiit finally hits

the fan, did ojukwu not leave his people and bolted to exile? Why didn't the invading forces then kill all ibos

that surrendered to them, as Ojukwu had made them to believe?

Please, do you really believe that the whole Igbo race will be so foolish to be Justifying Ojukwu's action after so many years of Post civil war?
Do you consider the Igbos Morons that they couldn't clearly see through Ojukwu's "rougish" intention, after all these years?
Or, it will have to take your say so, for the Igbos to realise that Ojukwu pulled a fast one on them?
Please quit crying more than the bereaved. If Ojukwu had really tricked the Igbos into loosing millions of lives in the ill fated civil war, it won't be you that will point it out to the Igbos.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 29, 2013
Onlytruth:

No, you are wrong on that bolded words. The only reason there was an up-tick in the numbers of Yoruba who joined the Nigerian army then was because of the colossal failure of the Biafran Expeditionary Force led by Banjo, a Yoruba man. Two factors made that failure possible and I must be fair in my findings.

(1) The BEF was a poorly equipped force. Had the BEF been equipped with about 50 -100 tanks, and 155mm artillery howitzers, even Banjo would have been silly to try sabotaging the force. Such an equipped force would have sacked Lagos even from Ijebu-ode or even outskirts of Ondo state just after Ore.

(2) Even with its poor state of equipment, had the BEF being under the command of an Igbo man or Ibibio man, they would have at least marched to Lagos and sacked Gowon.

The Aburi records shown in this thread proved that Biafra had enough military strength to sack Gowon from Lagos (of course no one envisaged that Ojukwu would put such a force under the command of a man with a history of mutiny like Banjo). Now I am not saying that Biafra could have held Lagos for too long without at least capturing the Nigerian Navy and using it to blockade the North against arms importation. If these scenarios played out, I doubt that Yoruba would have found any courage, or conviction to join the military, at least not on the side of the North. It would have been a totally different war.

Yeah, and the Yorubas along with the Mid-West--- that had stated neutrality in the whole conflict from jump before Biafra invaded them--- should have gladly handed over their lands to the Igbos and the Hausas to turn into their personal battlefield, right? Makes a lot of sense.

And as to the bolded, you think youre talking to 6yr old kids ...... Biafra wouldnt have held Lagos for too long indeed. Who was going to be the determinant of this?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
Onlytruth:

The Yoruba only joined an already equipped and well financed army (they calculated that they would only be picking up the pieces of Biafra's defeat). If the North at any point had changed their minds about confronting the East, the Yoruba would have returned to their pre-war habits of dodging military service. They were only encouraged to join because they knew there was no real threat from Biafra.

Sure they joined because "they wanted to pick up pieces of Biafra's defeat" and " because they knew there was no real threat from Biafra" indeed and not because their homeland was attacked and invaded by a "Liberating Force" they did not beg for help.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2013
re@lchange:
yesterday at a shopping mall, some guy told me to "meet your brother". it turned out it was one guy from oyo or so, grinning from ear to ear. i took one look at him and felt the greatest insult of my life.
my brother my azz.
nigeria is a burden which could only have been placed by satan himself.
mcheeew!

Sooooooo.........

You hated this man that was "grinning from ear to ear" just because he was Yoruba, abi?

Clap for yourself bros. And these are the same people yall arguing that you were coming to rescue from the "evil" hausas.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by russellino: 5:27pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint:
So far so good, you seems to be the only one who clearly understood the aims and objectives of this thread! The Biafran-Nigerian war remains the hottest debated topic on Nairaland and shall remain so until we know some 'hidden truths behind the curtain' or else we would always come here to waffle and still edge the main points! Like you rightly pointed out, Gowon really have some secrets he is keeping to himself concerning the ill-fated war, I am shocked that up till now he is yet to write his own war memoirs despite being the sitting head of state during those dark hours! Peace to you friend cool

Thanks chief. Its very easy to get distracted by side attractions and petty tribalism.

You know Gowon might also be scared of either the backlash from his colleagues from the north if he writes too much as well as severe backlash from the south if he tries to be too politically correct. His memoirs if he really means to say it as it is will be more controversial than "there was a country".

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 5:29pm On Mar 29, 2013
[b][/b]
eagle,eye:

Please, do you really believe that the whole Igbo race will be so foolish to be Justifying Ojukwu's action after so many years of Post civil war?
Do you consider the Igbos Morons that they couldn't clearly see through Ojukwu's "rougish" intention, after all these years?
Or, it will have to take your say so, for the Igbos to realise that Ojukwu pulled a fast one on them?
[b]Please quit crying more than the bereaved.[/b]If Ojukwu had really tricked the Igbos into loosing millions of lives in the ill fated civil war, it won't be you that will point it out to the Igbos.

Of course not! I do not believe that the whole igbo race will be that foo.lish...but i do believe they are just too ashamed to admit that they were taken in by ojukwu, at least to themselves let alone to their adversaries.

@ bolded......If your so-called leaders don't give a da.mn about you lot why then should i ? No, i cried and still continue to mourn for the loss of my paternal uncle (and many other young and promising yoruba sons and daughters)who had their youthful and hopeful life cut short for an avoidable war they didn't want nor have a part in.

Didn't ojukwu retorted, on being asked by Awo if there is anyway he can ever deal with the northerners again, that, it will only be on the battlefield? Oh well, he had no right turning our region into that "battlefiled".
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 5:37pm On Mar 29, 2013
Ojukwu suggested the idea of Aburi Accord for peace to return to the land to Gowon (then Head of State) with the plan to convince Gowon on why it is wrong for him (being a Northerner) to occupy that position of a Head of State, when a particular region (Eastern region) have been emotionally bruised (as a result of the 1966 May to September pogrom) expectedly as a gentleman that Gowon claimed to be, he chose to stay put! At that time, any candidate from North and to add insult upon injury, from the camp of the 'Coup Plotters' will send the wrong signal to the camp of the Igbos because of the palpable tension brewing, and after the whole Meeting at Aburi, what do we have, a sitting Head of State failing to honour his own part undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 5:55pm On Mar 29, 2013
The Gowon’s undisputable claims to the position of Head of State of Nigeria started on January 10, 1970. Throughout the saga of Aburi, Ghana, Gowon was just an arrowhead of juntas who have succeeded in killing the Head of State and had no control in one of the four regions that constituted Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:57pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint: Ojukwu suggested the idea of Aburi Accord for peace to return to the land to Gowon (then Head of State) with the plan to convince Gowon on why it is wrong for him (being a Northerner) to occupy that position of a Head of State, when a particular region (Eastern region) have been emotionally bruised (as a result of the 1966 May to September pogrom) expectedly as a gentleman that Gowon claimed to be, he chose to stay put! At that time, any candidate from North and to add insult upon injury, from the camp of the 'Coup Plotters' will send the wrong signal to the camp of the Igbos because of the palpable tension brewing, and after the whole Meeting at Aburi, what do we have, a sitting Head of State failing to honour his own part undecided

So it is no longer confederacy? It is now that Gowon as a Northerner was unacceptable as Head of State? Was that part of the agreement at Aburi, for Gowon to step aside? Not only are you inconsistent, you are being disingenuous. Soon you will tell us that Gowon agreed to wear pink uniform but carried on wearing green.

Can you please tell us what Gowon agreed to at Aburi that he didn't implement? It really is exasperating when folks try to use sentiments in debate.

Why is it so difficult to address the main issue.

Gowon and Ojukwu had an agreement at Aburi.
Gowon implemented Decree 8 to satisfy the provisions at Aburi.
Ojukwu rejected Decree 8 because he felt it didn't address all his requests.

Can the Biafrans tell us what Gowon didn't implement that was so vital for millions of innocent people to die for?

5 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 6:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1: The Gowon’s undisputable claims to the position of Head of State of Nigeria started on January 10, 1970. Throughout the saga of Aburi, Ghana, Gowon was just an arrowhead of juntas who have succeeded in killing the Head of State and had no control in one of the four regions that constituted Republic of Nigeria.

That is nothing. What matters is that at the end of the war, the last region was brought under the control of the Head of State, Gowon, through the use of force.

History is littered with examples of individuals or states who dispute the rule of another over them. If Biafra suceeded in its secession bid, then you will have the bragging rights of saying the East didn't recognize Gowon. Unfortunately, you don't have the bragging rights. It's only in Nigeria where the losers in a conflict continue to have a superior stance over their victors/betters.

Just chill and jejely eat your humble pie. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 6:11pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

So it is no longer confederacy? It is now that Gowon as a Northerner was unacceptable as Head of State? Was that part of the agreement at Aburi, for Gowon to step aside? Not only are you inconsistent, you are being disingenuous. Soon you will tell us that Gowon agreed to wear pink uniform but carried on wearing green.

Can you please tell us what Gowon agreed to at Aburi that he didn't implement? It really is exasperating when folks try to use sentiments in debate.

Why is it so difficult to address the main issue.

Gowon and Ojukwu had an agreement at Aburi.
Gowon implemented Decree 8 to satisfy the provisions at Aburi.
Ojukwu rejected Decree 8 because he felt it didn't address all his requests.

Can the Biafrans tell us what Gowon didn't implement that was so vital for millions of innocent people to die for?

at the bolded, obviously, your Gowon's Decree 8 was a fraud, that was why there was never an agreement between the warring factions!
I have never denied the fact that a confederacy or something closer to it (as you would want it painted) was agreed upon at Aburi! Fine Decree 8 was implemented by Gowon to accommodate the aggrieved party (Biafrans) but after careful examination Ojukwu discovered that it was not satisfactorily concocted, and are you also aware that if the Biafrans had taken the contents of the Decree 8 hook line and sinker as at that time, Nigeria would have engulfed in flames, in just a matter of few months, according to Chief Philip Asiodu (one of the central Super permanent secretaries of the era)? Why flogging the issue of Decree 8 as an issue Katz? And what would a Decree 8 have done when tens of thousands were being massacred under the watch of Gowon, already there was a total collapse of trust between the Easterners and the ruling North, hence, having a Northerner at the helms of affair definitely portends danger, remember, Ojukwu never recognized Gowon (a party to the Coupists) as the Head of State!
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 6:33pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1: The Gowon’s undisputable claims to the position of Head of State of Nigeria started on January 10, 1970. Throughout the saga of Aburi, Ghana, Gowon was just an arrowhead of juntas who have succeeded in killing the Head of State and had no control in one of the four regions that constituted Republic of Nigeria.

A Yoruba Head of State would have maintained military discipline and avert war.

Murtala Mohammed and other born-to-rule fulani officers, would never take instructions from a minority pagan vassal from their northern Nigeria.

Ojukwu was re-iterating Command and Control, which later created problems when TY Danjuma was promoted Lt. General, above his boss and defence minister Major General Ilya Bissala.

The military and federal institutions became the inheritance of fulani tribe. Obasanjo tactically obeyed his junior Shehu Yar'adua.
Thats how things began to deteriorate, and it was Obasanjo again, as elected President to start the process of transforming the military back to a national institution.

And boko haram in the armed forces is resisting every step.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris:

A Yoruba Head of State would have maintained military discipline and avert war.

Murtala Mohammed and other born-to-rule fulani officers, would never take instructions from a minority pagan vassal from their northern Nigeria.

Ojukwu was re-iterating Command and Control, which later created problems when TY Danjuma was promoted Lt. General, above his boss and defence minister Major General Ilya Bissala.

The military and federal institutions became the inheritance of fulani tribe. Obasanjo tactically obeyed his junior Shehu Yar'adua.
Thats how things began to deteriorate, and it Obasanjo again, as elected President to start the process of transforming the military back to a national institution.

And boko haram in the armed forces is resisting every step.
Another Gospel Truth! You have eyes to see bro cool
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 7:04pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

That is nothing. What matters is that at the end of the war, the last region was brought under the control of the Head of State, Gowon, through the use of force.

History is littered with examples of individuals or states who dispute the rule of another over them. If Biafra suceeded in its secession bid, then you will have the bragging rights of saying the East didn't recognize Gowon. Unfortunately, you don't have the bragging rights. It's only in Nigeria where the losers in a conflict continue to have a superior stance over their victors/betters.

Well, the humble pie seems to be circulating, from South-east to the South-south, and now the North-central. All the hush from the South-west, to not recall the past, is just to avoid this national humble pie, after taking more than their fair share of the national cake.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 7:28pm On Mar 29, 2013
The same problem of the legitimacy of the Head of State is playing out again, inverted perhaps, as the Core North and 50% of South-west are shouting down the presidency of Dr Goodluck Azikiwe Jonathan. This time, the same Emeka Ojukwu encouraged President Jonathan, to stand firm and face down whatever the Core North and 50% of the South-west can do.
If they threaten to divide Nigeria, better. Whatever they do, its time to begin to make Nigeria belong to all Nigerians, ON EQUAL TERMS
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 7:47pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

I can not fathom how many times you could have been thrown to the ground during the era of wrestling matches called Kiriji wars.grin grin You sure have the habit of putting the wrong foot into the ring.grin

It does not surprise me to notice you have tenaciously clung to an irresponsible assumption that the issue of Head of State was resolved in Aburi, Ghana. Aburi Accord admitted that the functions of making government policies shall be vested on the supreme military council not the supreme military commander.

In addition, Ojukwu had insisted that in the absence of Head of State, the chief of staff supreme headquarters becomes the C-in-C. In one instance during the deliberation, Ojukwu inquired from the conferees that who commands the army in eastern region.

Have you asked yourself who constituted the supreme military council that issued Decree #8? This type of reckless assumption is the bane of progress in Nigeria.

Successful secession of Biafra could not have been regarded as bragging right for the eastern region but a case of the right to freedom in a country called home. The easterners did not feel their right to free movement in Nigeria was guaranteed with Gowon as Head of State. If eastern region had recognized Gowon as Head of State, we should not have this discussion.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 8:07pm On Mar 29, 2013
That's how it became an army of any-thing-goes, that threw up the likes of Babangida, Abacha, and does anyone remember one Adisa, aka, adisaster. There were many who should never have risen above the rank of Major. But Nigeria quietly waited for their ill wind to pass, and it has for good.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris: The same problem of the legitimacy of the Head of State is playing out again, inverted perhaps, as the Core North and 50% of South-west are shouting down the presidency of Dr Goodluck Azikiwe Jonathan . This time, the same Emeka Ojukwu encouraged President Jonathan, to stand firm and face down whatever the Core North and 50% of the South-west can do.

Lmaooo Oh yeah? Ojukwu was GEJ's backbone and protector? Wow....

Anyway, read what I posted below sha. Feel free to come up with any excuse, revision, or insult you deem fit.

2011: Ojukwu canvasses support for IBB

on MAY 2, 2010 · in NEWS

6:52 am
By Tony Edike, Enugu

THE Ikemba Nnewi, Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, was yesterday, reported to be in support for the presidential ambition of former military leader, General Ibrahim Babangida, in 2011, saying he would support him as far as it was the desire and aspiration of the people of the country.

Ojukwu, who declared that Babangida deserves a second chance to rule the nation, said he was convinced that he possessed the required qualities that could take the country to further heights as, according to him, IBB remains a strong voice in Nigerian politics.

The ex-Biafran leader, who received a delegation of Campaign Network for IBB led by Chief Peter Dada Osadebay in his residence in Enugu, said the former military president remains his bosom friend.

Among the dignitaries that visited Ojukwu were Chief Emeka Ani [South East coordinator of the campaign}, Chief Anike Agbo, Alhaji Nurudeen Gasali Babatunde, Chief Anike Nwoga, Chief Anike Nwaba, among others.

Osabebay, told reporters after a closed door meeting with the former Biafran warlord that Ojukwu’s comments on Babangida were very encouraging, stressing that the Ikemba had promised to work with the former military leader.

He said that Ojukwu, who had cut short his visit to his village in Nnewi to receive the group, was full of excitement and commended the spirit behind the campaigns.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/2011-ojukwu-canvasses-support-for-ibb/
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 8:38pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris: That's how it became an army of any-thing-goes, that threw up the likes of Babangida, Abacha, and does anyone remember one Adisa, aka, adisaster. There were many who should never have risen above the rank of Major. But Nigeria quietly waited for their ill wind to pass, and it has for good.

You could not be more right with above post. Tafawa Balewa had stuffed Nigerian army officer’s cadre with high school products from northern region of Nigeria who could still not remember the name of their schools. The so-called leaders of Nigeria such as Buhari Babanginda and Abacha were not fit to attend RMA Sandhusrt, UK yet the government found a way to absorb them into the army.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 8:48pm On Mar 29, 2013
@ king of lagos
You're derailing thist thread because the South-east is 100% in support of President G. Azikiwe Jonathan. Any threat will force massob to join mend and ibomites. The chickens have come to roost. Its no revisionism, its the kind of realpilitik that moved Awolowo and Adebayo to abandon Victor Banjo and Ojukwu in August 1967. Please lets maintain the peace for Jona 2015.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 8:57pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1:

You could not be more right with above post. Tafawa Balewa had stuffed Nigerian army officer’s cadre with high school products from northern region of Nigeria who could still not remember the name of their schools. The so-called leaders of Nigeria such as Buhari Babanginda and Abacha were not fit to attend RMA Sandhusrt, UK yet the government found a way to absorb them into the army.

They're the ones putting up the Buharam resistance, but the UK, the USA, and Russia, will not support them this time.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 8:59pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris:

Well, the humble pie seems to be circulating, from South-east to the South-south, and now the North-central. All the hush from the South-west, to not recall the past, is just to avoid this national humble pie, after taking more than their fair share of the national cake.

Humble pie is only for proud and boastful people like the folks who uttered the phrases below

1. "Search through the records of African history and you will fail to find an occasion when, in any pitched battle, any African nation has either marched across Ibo territory or subjected the Ibo nation to a humiliating conquest. Instead, there is record to show that the martial prowess of the Ibo, at all stages of human history, has rivaled them not only to survive persecution, but also to adapt themselves to the role thus thrust upon them by history, of preserving all that is best and most noble in African culture and tradition." - Zik

2. "on the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contact with the North, the answer is at the battlefield". - Ojukwu

3. "Throughout the saga of Aburi, Ghana, Gowon was just an arrowhead of juntas who have succeeded in killing the Head of State and had no control in one of the four regions that constituted Republic of Nigeria." - Dede1
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:00pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris: @ katsumoto,
You're derailing this tgread because the South-east is 100% in support of President G. Azikiwe Jonathan. Any threat will force massob to join mend and ibomites. The chickens have come to roost. Its no revisionism, its the kind of realpilitik that moved Awolowo and Adebayo to abandon Victor Banjo and Ojukwu in August 1967. Please lets maintain the peace for Jona 2015.

This thread is about the events leading up to the civil war. You are the one derailing the thread by introducing GEJ into.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1:

I can not fathom how many times you could have been thrown to the ground during the era of wrestling matches called Kiriji wars.grin grin You sure have the habit of putting the wrong foot into the ring.grin

It does not surprise me to notice you have tenaciously clung to an irresponsible assumption that the issue of Head of State was resolved in Aburi, Ghana. Aburi Accord admitted that the functions of making government policies shall be vested on the supreme military council not the supreme military commander.

In addition, Ojukwu had insisted that in the absence of Head of State, the chief of staff supreme headquarters becomes the C-in-C. In one instance during the deliberation, Ojukwu inquired from the conferees that who commands the army in eastern region.

Have you asked yourself who constituted the supreme military council that issued Decree #8? This type of reckless assumption is the bane of progress in Nigeria.

Successful secession of Biafra could not have been regarded as bragging right for the eastern region but a case of the right to freedom in a country called home. The easterners did not feel their right to free movement in Nigeria was guaranteed with Gowon as Head of State. If eastern region had recognized Gowon as Head of State, we should not have this discussion.

I know your style; anytime you are cornered and can't find a way out. You start trying to be clever with words and introducing irrelevant information. Whether it was called Supreme Military Council, Lowest Civilian Administration or African Union, Gowon was the head. No one was above him. The troops that subdued Biafra reported to Gowon. End of discussion.

If you were trying to make another point, then be direct. Obfuscation is for individuals who aren't honest and sincere.

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 9:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

This thread is about the events leading up to the civil war. You are the one derailing the thread by introducing GEJ into.

Yes, you're right. Only that the scenerio is playing back, differently, after the South-west has taken other region's share of national cake, and generally will hush anyone from discussing it, in order to avoid the national humble pie they' ve been serving others.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:16pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1:

What about Azikiwe who appointed Dr anieke, a disgraced certificate forger who had been forced to resign from U.I as head of the teaching hospital on the same U.I, as the chairman of the University's governing council?

If you accuse the Northerners of nepotism, then one would assume that your leaders were not guilty of the same crime.

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris:

Yes, you're right. Only that the scenerio is playing back, differently, after the South-west has taken other region's share of national cake, and generally will hush anyone from discussing it, in order to avoid the national humble pie they' ve been serving others.

I think you need to understand the context under which 'humble pie' is used.

And if you bring your dull and incompetent GEJ into this thread again, then we will be forced to debate his performance so far.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 9:40pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

I think you need to understand the context under which 'humble pie' is used.

And if you bring your dull and incompetent GEJ into this thread again, then we will be forced to debate his performance so far.

The humble pie is just right, as Gen Gowon and his victorious vanquishers are now receiving their just dessert.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 9:41pm On Mar 29, 2013
ckkris: The same problem of the legitimacy of the Head of State is playing out again, inverted perhaps, as the Core North and 50% of South-west are shouting down the presidency of Dr Goodluck Azikiwe Jonathan. This time, the same Emeka Ojukwu encouraged President Jonathan, to stand firm and face down whatever the Core North and 50% of the South-west can do.
If they threaten to divide Nigeria, better. Whatever they do, its time to begin to make Nigeria belong to all Nigerians, ON EQUAL TERMS

Ojuku encouraged which Jonathan? Or does is IBB the same one as Jonathan?

Ojuku openly canvassed support for IBB and not Jonathan. This happened less than 3 yrs ago dont try to lie here
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:45pm On Mar 29, 2013
dayokanu:

Ojuku encouraged which Jonathan? Or does is IBB the same one as Jonathan?

Ojuku openly canvassed support for IBB and not Jonathan. This happened less than 3 yrs ago dont try to lie here

I guess he didn't understand why Kingoflag posted that report about IBB. Instead he thought Kingoflag was derailing the thread. grin
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 9:47pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

I know your style; anytime you are cornered and can't find a way out. You start trying to be clever with words and introducing irrelevant information. Whether it was called Supreme Military Council, Lowest Civilian Administration or African Union, Gowon was the head. No one was above him. The troops that subdued Biafra reported to Gowon. End of discussion.

If you were trying to make another point, then be direct. Obfuscation is for individuals who aren't honest and sincere.

If Gowon was accepted as the Head of State by the eastern region, would there be any peace conference in Aburi, Ghana? There was an unsuccessful coup on July 29, 1966 and the leader of coup plotters was not recognized by a section of the country hence the peace talk in Aburi, Ghana. During the peace conference in Aburi, Ghana the fates of Head of State and governor of western region were not known to the public.

It is unfortunate you have a crush on decree #8 that was grandfathered by illegality.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Ipob: Mass Boycott Of Vanguard Newspaper Now Happening In The East / PDP: APC Wants To Give INEC Chairman Onneghen’s Treatment / Police Foil Attempt To Vandalise Power Installations At Dangote Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.