Stats: 3,151,778 members, 7,813,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14299 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 12:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
Why he claimed to be defending constitution of Nigeria by keeping Nigeria one when, in fact, he usurped the position of Head of Stat?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
ckkris: Major-General James Oluleye wrote a powerful memoir, in which you can see how and when Awolowo, Adebayo, et al, abandoned Biafra. You will also see how Brigadier Obasanjo, as Head of State, was under Colonel Shehu Yar'adua, his official subordinate.
Before that, Dimka and Zamani Lekwot were leading the massacre of Ibos in Kaduna. Today they are paying and will continue to pay dearly for that decision.
Lt-General TY Danjuma may enjoy all the Oil Blocks as his war booty, as the hero that killed Ironsi, but he will never write any memoirs.
But the Civil War History must emerge. At least, Boko Haram, sponsored by those that controlled Brigadier Obasanjo, and assume that Nigeria is theirs to rule, are forcing issues, to throw up the facts that led to the civil war.

Are you sure about Zamani Lekwot being involved with the massacre of Igbo peeps in Kaduna? To the best of my knowledge no written account has associated Zamani Lekwot with such actions. There were instances soldiers such Bukar Dimka, Sani Abacha, M. Buhari, I Babamgida and M Shuwa were linked with 1966 pogrom in northern region of Nigeria.

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 1:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
T9ksy:

Haba! my brother from a different father,gba brake naw! The op stated his reason why he believed Gowon could not write his memoir and that just got me thinking that i never saw Ojukwu's memoir assuming he wrote one, as i would love to read his thoughts on the civil war.

So,my questioon still remains the same- did ojukwu write a memoir, if he did then i want a copy but if he didn't then WHY didn't he.

grin grin grin. Ok i have heard sir. Go and open a thread on that and we shall join you there. For now, we are discussing Gowon! ok sir?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by mensdept: 1:07pm On Mar 27, 2013
What is Gowon going to say? WHo is he a hero to other than British Corporate interest?

Is it the Hausa-Fulani. No
Is it Yoruba. No
Is it Igbo. No
Is it Efik/Ibibio. No
Is it Nupe. No
Is it Igala. No
Is it Bini. Of course not
What of Bakassi?

He was a foolish young man that was used and dumped by British and the Emirs and after all said and done, he was overthrown and has not been brought back, even like OBJ or Buhari who were yesteryear men.

SO he's a nobody and he knows that.

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 1:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
T9ksy:

Haba! my brother from a different father,gba brake naw! The op stated his reason why he believed Gowon could not write his memoir and that just got me thinking that i never saw Ojukwu's memoir assuming he wrote one, as i would love to read his thoughts on the civil war.

So,my questioon still remains the same- did ojukwu write a memoir, if he did then i want a copy but if he didn't then WHY didn't he.

Ojukwu's war time memoir was titled "Because I was Involved"
Please go to the nearest bookshop and ask for it.

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by naptu2: 1:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ben Murray-Bruce threw that challenge to Gowon, Shonekan, Buhari, etc at the 2012 Silverbird Man of the Year Award (I wish I had a video of that event. A lot of important things were said there). Of the group that Ben Bruce threw the challenge to, only Lt Gen Danjuma has published his memoirs (written by Lyndsay Barret). Murray-Bruce said that he had planned an interview with Ojukwu, but Ojukwu died before it could be completed.

After throwing the challenge, Ben Murray-Bruce handed the microphone to the people he had thrown the challenge to.

General Gowon promised that his memoirs would be published soon. He took time to explain his role during the civil war and said that he was almost in tears when he saw the documentary (silverbird screened a documentary of the war as part of the award ceremony. They showed starving children). He also told the story of how he and Ojukwu had reconciled.

General Buhari expressed reservations about publishing his memoirs, explaining that his words are often taken out of context.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
naptu2: Ben Murray-Bruce threw that challenge to Gowon, Shonekan, Buhari, etc at the 2012 Silverbird Man of the Year Award (I wish I had a video of that event. A lot of important things were said there). Of the group that Ben Bruce threw the challenge to, only Lt Gen Danjuma has published his memoirs (written by Lyndsay Barret). Murray-Bruce said that he had planned an interview with Ojukwu, but Ojukwu died before it could be completed.

After throwing the challenge, Ben Murray-Bruce handed the microphone to the people he had thrown the challenge to.

General Gowon promised that his memoirs would be published soon. He took time to explain his role during the civil war and said that he was almost in tears when he saw the documentary (silverbird screened a documentary of the war as part of the award ceremony. They showed starving children). He also told the story of how he and Ojukwu had reconciled.

General Buhari expressed reservations about publishing his memoirs, explaining that his words are often taken out of context.
I remember the event you are talking about, but I doubt Gowon will publish any memoir.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by goldfish80(m): 1:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
Chris†Kid:
come shut it nah.

One moment you're asking Igbos to go back to their land, the next you're praising and defending those that fought and died for us to be one. Does being yoróba come with perks of being a confused fool?

Abi dem swear for say you must defend your hausa masters at all costs fa?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
Onlytruth:

You have a very dark soul, and I have decided to interact as little as possible with dark souls henceforth.

So, I would say this once to you and then leave you to continue on your usual path.

History states that Ojukwu never planned nor wanted war. He went to Aburi and painstakingly negotiated a peaceful settlement (an internationally supervised Accord) to end the Nigerian crisis.
Everybody, including Gowon, signed onto that Accord happily, raised glasses, hugged and all the rest, only for Gowon to return to Nigeria to trash the Accord. History also recorded that Gowon was the first to order a military action against Eastern Nigeria. All these are facts. Ojukwu never initiated any war; Gowon did.

You must be a learner. Ojukwu never wanted war but declared seccession when Gowon declared a state of emergency and created 12 states.

History also shows that Ojukwu was given a burial which even Nigerian presidents never got. His fame is all over Africa and people like Jerry Rawlings graced his funeral. His coffin was carried by GENERALS in the Nigerian army. These are FACTS.

Now, lets wait for your hero Gowon to die, and lets compare notes then.

Bye. cool

You must be a learner. Ojukwu never wanted war but declared seccession when Gowon created 12 states and divided the eastern region into three.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
ckkris: Major-General James Oluleye wrote a powerful memoir, in which you can see how and when Awolowo, Adebayo, et al, abandoned Biafra. You will also see how Brigadier Obasanjo, as Head of State, was under Colonel Shehu Yar'adua, his official subordinate.
Before that, Dimka and Zamani Lekwot were leading the massacre of Ibos in Kaduna. Today they are paying and will continue to pay dearly for that decision.
Lt-General TY Danjuma may enjoy all the Oil Blocks as his war booty, as the hero that killed Ironsi, but he will never write any memoirs.
But the Civil War History must emerge. At least, Boko Haram, sponsored by those that controlled Brigadier Obasanjo, and assume that Nigeria is theirs to rule, are forcing issues, to throw up the facts that led to the civil war.

When Ifeajuna killed a harmless Tafawa Balewa, he killed a corrupt official, when Danjuma arrested Aguiyi Ironsi, he is the villian, east side people an double standards

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 2:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

Ojukwu's war time memoir was titled "Because I was Involved"
Please go to the nearest bookshop and ask for it.

thank you sir, i shall do as you politely suggested.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 2:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
debetmx:

You must be a learner. Ojukwu never wanted war but declared seccession when Gowon created 12 states and divided the eastern region into three.

How old are you? Please don't dabble into things you are ignorant of. The facts are there, go and do some research and reading, or are they both forbidden where you come from?

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 2:04pm On Mar 27, 2013
T9ksy:

thank you sir, i shall do as you politely suggested.

grin grin grin Now don't come here and disturb us again!
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 2:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
So,ojukwu never planned to go to war?
However, at their enugu meeting On Saturday, May 6, 1967, at 5.15 pm, ojukwu bragged to Awo and i quote

"I started off this struggle in July with 120 rifles to defend the entirety of the East. I took my stand knowing fully well that by doing so, whilst carving my name in history, I was signing also my death warrant......."

So, wtf is lying here?

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 2:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1: Why he claimed to be defending constitution of Nigeria by keeping Nigeria one when, in fact, he usurped the position of Head of Stat?
was he keeping nijeriya one when he was signing away bakassi peninsular? abeg the war was the decimate the Igbo and nothing more. how can you agree an accord only to do a gowon and order "police action" ? i keep hearing this insuferable sons on superman saying ojukwu declared war, why have they not furnished anyone with a transcript of such declaration of war? everybody can find gowons police action easily. then there was a rat poison loving "sage" who was dribbled in such a way messi, maredona and okocha would have been green with envy withnessing. sons of hitler who believes repeating a lie long enough will make it true. shebi boko haram is coming to a town near you ?

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 2:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
T9ksy: So,ojukwu never planned to go to war?
However, at their enugu meeting On Saturday, May 6, 1967, at 5.15 pm, ojukwu bragged to Awo and i quote

"I started off this struggle in July with 120 rifles to defend[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] the entirety of the East. I took my stand knowing fully well that by doing so, whilst carving my name in history, I was signing also my death warrant......."

So, wtf is lying here?

Olodo. Dont you know the difference between Defense and Offense? Kai grin grin

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
Chinua Achebe should have written a book title : "there was a rat poison loving sage". msheeew

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2013

"I started off this struggle in July with 120 rifles to defend the entirety of the East. I took my stand knowing fully well that by doing so, whilst carving my name in history, I was signing also my death warrant......."

So, wtf is lying here?
who now is the free educated bonehead?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
slimghost:

How old are you? Please don't dabble into things you are ignorant of. The facts are there, go and do some research and reading, or are they both forbidden where you come from?
If I must inform you, I have Ojukwu's book "Because I am Involved" in my room right now. I dont blame you, the same propaganda Ojukwu and Achebe have always fed you people. I still cant comprehend that in 2013, the same propaganda they used in 1970 is still effective

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 2:36pm On Mar 27, 2013

So, wtf is lying here?

please can you attach a reference to your quote. Thank You.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
Malawian: Chinua Achebe should have written a book title : "there was a rat loving sage". msheeew

HEDIOT.... from ur great grand father to ur father joined together are not up to his left hand. Go hang urself cretin
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by funkybaby(f): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
na wa oh.

so these 'omo nna' people have shifted the hatred from awolowo to gowon? undecided

ilugunboy: He defended the oat he swore too ...so why are you asking him to explain his roles with a memoir...he just did the job he signed for...

You guys do get too sentimental at times..

well said !
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 2:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
debetmx:
If I must inform you, I have Ojukwu's book "Because I am Involved" in my room right now. I dont blame you, the same propaganda Ojukwu and Achebe have always fed you people. I still cant comprehend that in 2013, the same propaganda they used in 1970 is still effective

Either you cant comprehend or you are a nut case! there is no propaganda in this one, we are talking FACTS here kid. Biafra may have triggered the attack on them by declaring independence, but saying that they started the attack is just plain stupidity! good day

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 2:45pm On Mar 27, 2013
kayci_d77:

HEDIOT.... from ur great grand father to ur father joined together are not up to his left hand. Go hang urself cretin
was there a rat poison loving sage or not?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 2:45pm On Mar 27, 2013
kayci_d77:

You should apologize to him with immediate effect! He was sarcastically referring to Mr "rat poison" Awolowo.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 2:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
slimghost:

You should apologize to him with immediate effect! He was sarcastically referring to Mr "rat poison" Awolowo.
dude ended his insuferable life without much ado with his beloved kill and dry type of rat poison. every year, they gather at ikenne to shout themselve hoarse with hymns and foul breadth hoping for the next shango or oduduwa to fall out from the sky again. i believe this is the point i begin to keep one eye over oam4j, that dude has banned me thrice this month already for sundry and mundain reasons.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 2:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
debetmx:

My dear I think you have missed the essence of this topic. The op, as well as others will like to also read Gowon's account of event before, during and after that unfortunate civil war. Let Gowon also feed us with his own version of the PROPAGANDA.
Let him write his own memoire, let the reading public and posterity be the judge of his work.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
slimghost:

Either you cant comprehend or you are a nut case! there is no propaganda in this one, we are talking FACTS here kid. Biafra may have triggered the attack on them by declaring independence, but saying that they started the attack is just plain stupidity! good day
Gowon attacked the mid west abi? Ojukwu will be roasting in hell SCUM[b][/b]
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by slimghost(m): 2:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
debetmx:
Gowon attacked the mid west abi? Ojukwu will be roasting in hell SCUM[b][/b]

Please go and read bedtime stories and leave history for true historians!

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:59pm On Mar 27, 2013
slimghost:

Please go and read bedtime stories and leave history for true historians!

I dont blame your type, educated illiterate. Ojukwu fooled your ancestors and Ojukwu will still fool your unborn child

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 3:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
debetmx:

You must be worse than a learner. Who gave Gowon right to divide eastern region into three states?

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2013
debetmx:

I dont blame your type, educated illiterate. Ojukwu fooled your ancestors and Ojukwu will still fool your unborn child

If you still can not understand at this moment in time that Gowon is a usurper, then I am not surprised by your choice of phrases in a sentence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Benue’s Anti-open Grazing Law: Miyetti Allah Wants FG, NASS To Intervene / Police IG Apologises To Edwin Clark,orders the detention of four officers / Herdsmen Express Readiness To Embrace Ranching

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66