Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,383 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14336 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 11:10am On Mar 29, 2013
russellino: Its a wonder and mystery that Yakubu Gowon has never written a memoir about his own perspective of the Nigerian Civil War. A head of state who cannot write his memoirs even when everybody has written theirs must most likely have something to hide or is ashamed of his role in history
So far so good, you seems to be the only one who clearly understood the aims and objectives of this thread! The Biafran-Nigerian war remains the hottest debated topic on Nairaland and shall remain so until we know some 'hidden truths behind the curtain' or else we would always come here to waffle and still edge the main points! Like you rightly pointed out, Gowon really have some secrets he is keeping to himself concerning the ill-fated war, I am shocked that up till now he is yet to write his own war memoirs despite being the sitting head of state during those dark hours! Peace to you friend cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 11:19am On Mar 29, 2013
grin grin
Katsumoto:

grin grin grin grin grin

To be honest, I have been very disappointed that Dede1 couldn't be more original in his jabs. Instead he plagiarized. grin grin grin

Katsumoto

You should remember it takes one moonlight wrestler to know another. Actually when you used that jab, I figured wrestling was much about Kiriji wars. I mean the scenario could not be more at home than Kiriji jokes. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 11:35am On Mar 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

I am sorry but I don't debate matters based on sentiments. You are very much entitled to your opinion.

Its are facts not my opinion. You guys never questioned your runaway warrior who led u 2 war but 2 ask questions of Gowon. From Adewale Ademoyega's book " Why We Struck" Page 199-200, After d Aburi meeting of d supreme military council, there was pressure on ojukwu 2 release "Nzeogwu and Co". He agreed and unilaterally released those of us who were in d east. It was an act of great magnanimitu on his part, because eastern region was still in Nigeria @ dat time. As for lony me, I was glad for my colleagues and I believed very firmly dat 1 of d Ojukwu's reasons wa dat we needed a crop of revolutionary officers and men 4 war preparations. Hence I was shocked beyond belief when I read in Nzeogwu dat he and his non-eastern officers were sent away on an indefinite leave and were not allowed 2 take part in preparing 4 d war. Surprising 2, he made me understand dat d east was not really preparing 4 war. The noise was much, but d noice but d military preparation was negligible. I started 2 ak myself if there was anything of d soldier and not everything of a actor in emeka ojukwu. Then I said 2 myself : "if ojukwu was an, actor, then he must be a tragedist aand not at all a comedian." I was latter prove right
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 11:35am On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1: grin grin

Katsumoto

You should remember it takes one moonlight wrestler to know another. Actually when you used that jab, I figured wrestling was much about Kiriji wars. I mean the scenario could not be more at home than Kiriji jokes. grin
grin cheesy Dede1 and Katsumoto una no go kill person with ur comic reliefs in heated debates cheesy but to be candid, the Kiriji war was indeed a 'real war' that can almost be equated to the potency of the American civil war, no pun intended! Mortals, rifles were used as well as swords and arrows it wasn't a child's play cool
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 12:00pm On Mar 29, 2013
ACM10:

Why are you playing hide-n-seek game? You boldly stated that 90% of Aburi provisions were promulgated. Then I requested for the copy of the Aburi accord with which you arrived at that figure. Many agreements were left out in my copy, while others were watered down to the level that will be unacceptable to the other party.

Sometimes it can be frustrating debating with you, especially whenever you starts to play your hide-n-seek game. No need to respond to you again if you do not produce your copy of Aburi agreement or show us how you got your ridiculous figure of 90% honoured and 10% rejected.

Katsumoto I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence to back your 90% and 10% claims. Otherwise, I will regard it as a spurious claim. Please be fast! Let's move on from there to the main issue which is Aburi agreement.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
Tolexander: you can just challenged him to post your own copy of the aburi accord!

undecided undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 12:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
Abeg, my people, all this perambulation is not necessary.

"On Aburi we stand" was ojukwu's war song, wasn't it?

which part of the accord did Gowon reneged on that means millions of innocent nigerians had to die.

I mean, ojukwu and the ibos must know why they went to a war they were not fully prepared for.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
T9ksy: Abeg, my people, all this perambulation is not necessary.

which part of the accord did Gowon reneged on that means millions of innocent nigerians had to die.

I mean, ojukwu and the ibos must know why they went to a war they were not fully prepared for.
From all these intellectual dicuss on this thread, it seems to me that U just want to be deliberately mischivious. Please get a life! No offence mearnt.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 1:34pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint:
So far so good, you seems to be the only one who clearly understood the aims and objectives of this thread! The Biafran-Nigerian war remains the hottest debated topic on Nairaland and shall remain so until we know some 'hidden truths behind the curtain' or else we would always come here to waffle and still edge the main points! Like you rightly pointed out, Gowon really have some secrets he is keeping to himself concerning the ill-fated war, I am shocked that up till now he is yet to write his own war memoirs despite being the sitting head of state during those dark hours! Peace to you friend cool
Wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 2:01pm On Mar 29, 2013
gregtochi:
From all these intellectual dicuss on this thread, it seems to me that U just want to be deliberately mischivious. Please get a life! No offence mearnt.

What's mischievous in trying to find out what EXACTLY, gowon reneged on as per aburi

accord that induced ojukwu to go to war? Its either you know and are ready to provide answers to my question

or just STFU.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by pazienza(m): 2:13pm On Mar 29, 2013
debetmx:

All what am saying is that, when Ifeajuna and d rest killed other people's leader your people were rejoicing, they kill ur pple u call it genocide. Like I wrote in my earlier post d ibos have "em selves 2 blame. Acknowledge that, then we can move from there and talk abt Gowon but we shld address ojuiku's intransigence first. If d ibos wanted seccession what about d efik, ijaw, kalabari, ibibio and d rest. Ojuiku arrogated all power, will decision and direction 2 himself. Am not on this thread 2 talk abt abiola or obasanjo

I had long trashed your better equipped brother on this issue. Biafra was an eastern region affair and not an igbo affair,there was never a time in it's existence that that fact changed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by oturugo(m): 2:21pm On Mar 29, 2013
pazienza:

I had long trashed your better equipped brother on this issue. Biafra was an eastern region affair and not an igbo affair,there was never a time in it's existence that that fact changed.
Dont mind the lil girl
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 3:02pm On Mar 29, 2013
ACM10:

Why are you playing hide-n-seek game? You boldly stated that 90% of Aburi provisions were promulgated. Then I requested for the copy of the Aburi accord with which you arrived at that figure. Many agreements were left out in my copy, while others were watered down to the level that will be unacceptable to the other party.

Sometimes it can be frustrating debating with you, especially whenever you starts to play your hide-n-seek game. No need to respond to you again if you do not produce your copy of Aburi agreement or show us how you got your ridiculous figure of 90% honoured and 10% rejected.

I believe I was wrong; Gowon met all the demands at Aburi.

Do you disagree? If so, what do you believe wasn't implemented?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 3:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
Dede1: grin grin

Katsumoto

grin grin grin grin

No, I disagree. A wrestler can recognize a man holding a gun. After all, the famous Ndigbo folk lore wrestlers such as Okonkwo and Amelenze the cat recognized the white man. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
T9ksy: Abeg, my people, all this perambulation is not necessary.

You hit the nail on the head.

After almost two days of issuing the challenge, no Biafran has yet to articulate the provisions from Aburi that weren't implemented by Decree 8. Yet many people died on both sides in a war that could have been prevented. That is why it is crucial for citizens to question their leaders.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 3:27pm On Mar 29, 2013
The remote cause of the Civil War can be traced to the corruption of the day that had engulfed the whole federation during the ill-fated First Republic, the politicians of those yesteryears saw themselves as masters to be served rather as servants to serve, the saw themselves as tin gods to be revered rather as fellow humans privileged in their respective posts to champion the cause of the masses, they saw themselves as the fortunate ones while the led as the unfortunate ones. There was widespread of corruption, lawlessness represented in every nooks and crannies of the country and to worsen the whole situation, there was a spate of bloodshed ravaging the whole of the western region at that time order must be restored at all cost – this gave way for the first military coup of January 15th, 1966! The first military coup came up for a reason, to rid the federation of bad eggs, without any of the actors nursing any ambition to lord it over the whole federation in the capacity of leadership. They (the actors of that coup) where all hailed as heroes and seen as the saviours of the masses who have been under the Iron hand of the corrupt politicians. Unfortunately, while Nzeogwu kept to his side and did his own assignment well bereft of partiality, his comrades-in-arms in Lagos especially bungled the exercise by being trigger happy against their fellow soldiers while leaving out the politicians (that are from their tribes) that have been pencilled down for elimination hence giving the well planned revolutionary-coup a different and one-sided colour, “Igbo Coup” (Of course I have always believed it was not an Igbo Coup)! As usual the rest is history.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 3:40pm On Mar 29, 2013
The question that should be on everyone's lips should be; why did Gowon reneged on the Aburi Accord?

Gowon’s distortion of facts

This is in response to statements credited to ex-Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd), during a post-humous award ceremony for the tripod of Nigeria’s independence and First Republic leaders, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Sir Ahmadu Bello and Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

According to a national newspaper, Gowon said Igbo leader and Biafran warlord, the late Gen. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu would have succeeded in ruling the country if he had not been checkmated when he declared the Republic of Biafra and consequently triggered the civil war in 1967.

The former head of state, who came to power during the second military putsch on July 29, 1966 and ruled till July 29, 1975 when his regime was toppled in another coup that led to the installation of the late Gen. Murtala Muhammed, spoke against the background of a documentary on the fratricidal war shown at the ceremony.

Reliving some of the events of the civil war fought between July 6, 1967 and January 12, 1970, Gowon described it as a needless war and one never to be wished for again; adding that the war would not have arisen if Odumegwu-Ojukwu had not severed the eastern part from the rest of the country.

“If there was no secession by the late Odumegwu-Ojukwu, there would not have been war. We tried all we could to avoid going to war. At the Aburi meeting (held in Ghana in January to forestall the imminent war), all that was demanded by Ojukwu, including my position, were granted. But his secession bid led to the war. If Ojukwu had not done what he did, he would have been a Nigerian and not Biafran leader. Nigerians and, indeed, the children who suffered during the war, should forgive us,” Gowon said.

Since the death of Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Gowon has made two conflicting statements. In all, he tried to twist facts about the civil war, all in an attempt to portray Dim Odumegwu-Ojukwu as the aggressor. This is unacceptable.

First, I wonder why Gowon has chosen to make conflicting statements about the events that happened before and during the war, only after Odumegwu-Ojukwu had died. The question is, why didn’t he make these statements when Odumegwu-Ojukwu was alive, since both of them were the two principal actors?

Indeed, Gowon should have been kind enough to tell his audience the true reasons behind the war. The author, having gone through the Aburi meeting records, could not see where Odumegwu-Ojukwu asked for Gowon’s position; so, why would he say such things? Besides, who jettisoned the Aburi Accord – Gowon or Ojukwu? Nigerians cannot be deceived. Be it known to all Nigerians that part of our problems today is the non-implementation of the Aburi Accord by the Gowon administration. Gowon should publicly accept responsibilities for the civil war.

For the records, the war was imposed on the Igbo. Biafra was the only beacon of hope for all fleeing Igbo then. If Gowon was concerned, why didn’t he stop the pogrom in the North then? Why did he impose food blockade during the war and even after the war? What did he do about the abandoned properties? What about the policy/punishment of giving every Igbo person only 20 pounds, even if the person(s) had millions in bank accounts?

Someone should tell Gowon to stop twisting facts, if only not to reopen the wounds of the civil war.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/gowons-distortion-of-facts/

Truth as they say will forever remain bitter, definitely 'a Lying Code must be embedded in Gowon's Genes' cool
Indeed, in the case of Biafra and Nigeria, undoubtedly, great wrongs have been done with noticeable harm. Ethnic chauvinists and pretenders to the Nigerian unity project are wont to say that Biafra is past and should not be revisited, but they must be advised that we are all products of history.
It has been asserted that those who chose to ignore the lessons of history are more often than not ignored by history itself. This is true of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 3:59pm On Mar 29, 2013
The question that should be on everyone's lips now is, “what were the immediate and remote causes of the Nigeria Civil War (1967-1970)? Who should be blamed for the events that led to the declaration of independence by “Biafra”?

Ojukwu had written his own accounts of the war before he took his exit to the great beyond; 'Because I am involved and Emeka' and now we still have the other progenitor of the war still claiming 'he is now a born again' that we should forget the past and move on as if the past is not part of our history, Gowon must tell us 'deep things' he knows about the war, what his 'Northern Masters' told him to do and must be done, we need answers why on getting to Lagos he decided to reneged on an agreed arrangement in far away Accra, I mean Gowon should say something because whether we like it or not, the wounds of Biafra is still festering cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 4:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint: The question that should be on everyone's lips should be; why did Gowon reneged on the Aburi Accord?

Hell no! What we all should want to know is WHAT did Gowon allegedly reneged on that

necessitated the death 2 million souls on both sides of the war? Whatever it is must have been very important to

ojukwu who coined the now infamous phrase, "On Aburi we stand".

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 4:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint: The question that should be on everyone's lips now is, “what were the immediate and remote causes of the Nigeria Civil War (1967-1970)? Who should be blamed for the events that led to the declaration of independence by “Biafra”?

Ojukwu had written his own accounts of the war before he took his exit to the great beyond; 'Because I am involved and Emeka' and now we still have the other progenitor of the war still claiming 'he is now a born again' that we should forget the past and move on as if the past is not part of our history, Gowon must tell us 'deep things' he knows about the war, what his 'Northern Masters' told him to do and must be done, we need answers why on getting to Lagos he decided to reneged on an agreed arrangement in far away Accra, I mean Gowon should say something because whether we like it or not, the wounds of Biafra is still festering cool

Stop dancing around the issue.

What did Gowon not implement from Aburi? What was missing in Decree 8? You chaps need to be sincere.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 4:07pm On Mar 29, 2013
T9ksy:

Hell no! What we all should want to know is WHAT did Gowon allegedly reneged on that

necessitated the death 2 million souls on both sides of the war? Whatever it is must have been very important to

ojukwu who coined the now infamous phrase, "On Aburi we stand".

Its a very simple question, yet these chaps won't answer it. Rather than accept that they didn't understand why they fought, they continue to blame Gowon. I think its because Igbo folks believe they are infallible and never wrong. It must always be the fault of others if things go wrong.

Gowon implemented decree 8 to satisfy Ojukwu's demands at Aburi; what did Gowon agree to that he didn't implement? Simples
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 4:09pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Stop dancing around the issue.

What did Gowon not implement from Aburi? What was missing in Decree 8? You chaps need to be sincere.
But you have been the one not sincere here since the commencement of this debates, by defending anything Gowon, FG on the ill-fated war undecided I decided not to join the debate because of some 'clownish statements' from people who aree typically bent, hence, their judgment is on sentiment and not on facts!

Here is your Decree 8;

Decree No. 8 of 1967

The main feature of this Decree in the vesting in the Supreme Military Council of both the legislative and executive powers of the Government of the Federation. The Federal Executive Council which has hitherto exercised these powers has now been divested of them and it is henceforth to discharge those functions that are specifically delegated to it by the Supreme Military Council.

2. In the exercise of these legislative and executive powers, the concurrence of the Head of the Federal Military Government and of all the Military Governors is, for the first time, made essential in respect of certain matters which are set out in section 69 (6) of the Constitution. These are, to mention a few, matters affecting or relating to trade, commerce, industry, transport, the Armed Forces, the Nigerian Police, Higher Education, and the territorial integrity of a Region and the provisions of the sections listed in the proviso to section 4 (1) of the Constitution.

3. On the other hand, the legislative and executive powers of the Regions have been fully restored and vested in their respective Military Governors. But the provisions of section 86 of the Constitution of the Federation ensure that no Region shall exercise its executive authority so as to impede or prejudice the exercise of the executive authority of the Federation or to endanger the continuance of federal government in Nigeria.

4. The provisions of section 70 of the Constitution of the Federation give powers to the Supreme Military Council to take over the executive and legislative functions of a Regional Government during any period of emergency which might be declared in respect of that Region by the Supreme Military Council, while those of section 71 give the Supreme Military Council power to take appropriate measures against a Region which attempts to secede from the rest of the Federation, or where the executive authority of the Region is being exercised in contravention of section 86 of the Constitution.

5. On the question of amendment to a Regional Constitution, section 5 of the Constitution of the Federation has been suitably modified to the effect that in respect of certain matters mentioned in the section like, the appointment, tenure of office and terms of service of High Court judges, the functions of the Public Service Commission, the establishment of a Consolidated Revenue Fund, etc., andy Edict made shall come into operation only with the concurrence of the Supreme Military Council.

6. The Advisory Judicial Committee established under Decree no. 1 of 1966 and which before now tendered advice to the Supreme Military Council regarding appointment of judges all over the Federation ahs been abolished. Each Military Governor now controls appointment of judges of the High Court of his Region. But the appointment of the judges of both the Supreme Court of Nigeria and the High Court of Lagos is made the sole responsibility of the Supreme Military Council.

7. All appointments to posts in the superscale group 6 and above in the Public Service of the Federation and appointments to posts of Deputy Commissioner of Police and above in the Nigeria Police Force are now to be made by the Supreme Military Council. The functions formerly discharged under sections 110 and 146 of the Constitution of the Federation by the Federal Public Service Commission and the Police Service Commission respectively are now to that extent limited. 8. Appointments to the offices of Ambassador, High Commissioner and other principal representatives of the Republic in countries other than Nigeria are now, under the Decree, to be made by the Supreme Military Council.

Knock yourself off, I am waiting
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 4:11pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint:
But you have been the one not sincere here since the commencement of this debates, by defending anything Gowon, FG on the ill-fated war undecided I decided not to join the debate because of some 'clownish statements' from people who aree typically bent, hence, their judgment is on sentiment and not on facts!

Here is your Decree 8;

Decree No. 8 of 1967

The main feature of this Decree in the vesting in the Supreme Military Council of both the legislative and executive powers of the Government of the Federation. The Federal Executive Council which has hitherto exercised these powers has now been divested of them and it is henceforth to discharge those functions that are specifically delegated to it by the Supreme Military Council.

2. In the exercise of these legislative and executive powers, the concurrence of the Head of the Federal Military Government and of all the Military Governors is, for the first time, made essential in respect of certain matters which are set out in section 69 (6) of the Constitution. These are, to mention a few, matters affecting or relating to trade, commerce, industry, transport, the Armed Forces, the Nigerian Police, Higher Education, and the territorial integrity of a Region and the provisions of the sections listed in the proviso to section 4 (1) of the Constitution.

3. On the other hand, the legislative and executive powers of the Regions have been fully restored and vested in their respective Military Governors. But the provisions of section 86 of the Constitution of the Federation ensure that no Region shall exercise its executive authority so as to impede or prejudice the exercise of the executive authority of the Federation or to endanger the continuance of federal government in Nigeria.

4. The provisions of section 70 of the Constitution of the Federation give powers to the Supreme Military Council to take over the executive and legislative functions of a Regional Government during any period of emergency which might be declared in respect of that Region by the Supreme Military Council, while those of section 71 give the Supreme Military Council power to take appropriate measures against a Region which attempts to secede from the rest of the Federation, or where the executive authority of the Region is being exercised in contravention of section 86 of the Constitution.

5. On the question of amendment to a Regional Constitution, section 5 of the Constitution of the Federation has been suitably modified to the effect that in respect of certain matters mentioned in the section like, the appointment, tenure of office and terms of service of High Court judges, the functions of the Public Service Commission, the establishment of a Consolidated Revenue Fund, etc., andy Edict made shall come into operation only with the concurrence of the Supreme Military Council.

6. The Advisory Judicial Committee established under Decree no. 1 of 1966 and which before now tendered advice to the Supreme Military Council regarding appointment of judges all over the Federation ahs been abolished. Each Military Governor now controls appointment of judges of the High Court of his Region. But the appointment of the judges of both the Supreme Court of Nigeria and the High Court of Lagos is made the sole responsibility of the Supreme Military Council.

7. All appointments to posts in the superscale group 6 and above in the Public Service of the Federation and appointments to posts of Deputy Commissioner of Police and above in the Nigeria Police Force are now to be made by the Supreme Military Council. The functions formerly discharged under sections 110 and 146 of the Constitution of the Federation by the Federal Public Service Commission and the Police Service Commission respectively are now to that extent limited. 8. Appointments to the offices of Ambassador, High Commissioner and other principal representatives of the Republic in countries other than Nigeria are now, under the Decree, to be made by the Supreme Military Council.

Knock yourself off, I am waiting

What are you waiting for? This was provided a while back. So what is missing from Aburi?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 4:14pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Its a very simple question, yet these chaps won't answer it. Rather than accept that they didn't understand why they fought, they continue to blame Gowon. I think its because Igbo folks believe they are infallible and never wrong. It must always be the fault of others if things go wrong.

Gowon implemented decree 8 to satisfy Ojukwu's demands at Aburi; what did Gowon agree to that he didn't implement? Simples
Didn't they agreed on a confederacy Katz? undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 4:17pm On Mar 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Abi ojare, my brother!!! I tire for these people o!

I believe they are too scared and ashamed to admit, at least to themselves that their leaders especially ojukwu

didn't give a r.at's ar.se about them and infact, ojukwu 419ed them to satisfy his inordinate ambition.

That's why the act of introspection is not hardwired into their DNA.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 4:20pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint:
Didn't they agreed on a confederacy Katz? undecided

Did you miss the provisions below? Or how would you have worded it to reflect confederacy?

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 4:22pm On Mar 29, 2013
T9ksy:

Abi ojare, my brother!!! I tire for these people o!

I believe they are too scared and ashamed to admit, at least to themselves that their leaders especially ojukwu

didn't give a r.at's ar.se about them and infact, ojukwu 419ed them to satisfy his inordinate ambition.

That's why the act of introspection is not hardwired into their DNA.

For that statement, you are an unfortunate human being, don't you know that this is not a beer parlour, look up this is Nairaland, we are discussing something serious and which is still living with us till date, yet you are spewing garbage, and if you are in Ojukwu's shoes, what would you do? A Confederacy was settled for at Aburi in Accra, Gowon got to Lagos and decided to circumvent an agreement painted in white, and you are here waffling undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Mar 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

If you must know, I (an Igbo man) equally believed that the execution of the first coup de 'etat was flawed. The initial plan by the Coupist was to carry out a total cleansing of the "Filthy" political landscape. But some of the actors of that ill fated coup bungled it. By allowing Azikiwe, Michael Opara and some others from the East to escape death, they inevitably gave a Ethnic coloration to the a coup.
BUT DOES THAT WARRANT THE SUBSEQUENT KILLINGS THAT TOOK PLACE AFTER THE JULY COUNTER COUP? NO.
Does that warrant Gowon not keeping to the Aburi Accord? No
Does that make the Genocidal killings Right? No

So when you want to argue History do so Objectively and not because of Tribal sentiment. I for one will not come here on NL and support what IBB did in 1993, (Annuling an election that was widely acknowlegded as free and fair) because a Yoruba man was involved.

The answer to the bold is YES.

Ibo soldiers killed other regional leaders, ironsi had a good 6 months to address the issue what did he do?

Let me ask if you were the aggrieved party whose leader was killed and 6 months later ironsi from the killers ethnic group was pussyfooting all over What would you do?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 4:46pm On Mar 29, 2013
dayokanu:

The answer to the bold is YES.

Ibo soldiers killed other regional leaders, ironsi had a good 6 months to address the issue what did he do?

Let me ask if you were the aggrieved party whose leader was killed and 6 months later ironsi from the killers ethnic group was pussyfooting all over What would you do?

Dayo, I remember that we both have argued this particular point on another thread. At the bold part of my post, you will notice that I am not sounding aggrieved about the July Counter coup that equally took Ironsi's life. I am talking about the subsequent killings that happened in the North after the July coup. I am talking particularly about the POGROM that took place.
Dayo, I am not going to go into this arguement with you again. If deep down in you that you JUSTIFY THE POGROMS AND GENOCIDAL KILLINGS that took place before and during the war, then I don't know what else I can say.
If you can boldly say that the North was right in CUTTING UP PREGNANT WOMEN AND BRINGING OUT THEIR UN-BORN BABIES TO CUT UP TO PIECES, then I don't have anything else to say or any point to argue about.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 4:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
tomakint:

For that statement, you are an unfortunate human being, don't you know that this is not a beer parlour, look up this is Nairaland, we are discussing something serious and which is still living with us till date, yet you are spewing garbage, and if you are in Ojukwu's shoes, what would you do? A Confederacy was settled for at Aburi in Accra, Gowon got to Lagos and decided to circumvent an agreement painted in white, and you are here waffling undecided

I stand by my statement- ojukwu 419ed his people.

Initially, it was "once you (the fleeing ibos from the north and elsewhere in the coutry) crosses this line, you

are home safe" then it morphed to "the northerners were intending to march down to the east and exterminate the

whole ibo race" so they (the ibos) have no choice but to fight for their lives. However, when shiiit finally hits

the fan, did ojukwu not leave his people and bolted to exile? Why didn't the invading forces then kill all ibos

that surrendered to them, as Ojukwu had made them to believe?

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 4:53pm On Mar 29, 2013
I was just coming back from somewhere now, and I saw a particular street (I stay in Aba) blockaded by a police van, I was wondering what was happening. But when I drove near to the place I found out that Moslems where having their prayer section. This and the tone of this thread got me thinking, if it where in the North that Christains where having their prayer sections would the mobile police be protecting them?
Down here in the South, we treat our Moslem brothers with dignity. But up there in the North, the view us with so much Hatred. This is a food for thought.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 4:56pm On Mar 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

Dayo, I remember that we both have argued this particular point on another thread. At the bold part of my post, you will notice that I am not sounding aggrieved about the July Counter coup that equally took Ironsi's life. I am talking about the subsequent killings that happened in the North after the July coup. I am talking particularly about the POGROM that took place.
Dayo, I am not going to go into this arguement with you again. If deep down in you that you JUSTIFY THE POGROMS AND GENOCIDAL KILLINGS that took place before and during the war, then I don't know what else I can say.
If you can boldly say that the North was right in CUTTING UP PREGNANT WOMEN AND BRINGING OUT THEIR UN-BORN BABIES TO CUT UP TO PIECES, then I don't have anything else to say or any point to argue about.

In real life actions and reactions are not equal.

If you start the initial act you cant tell how the other side reacts.

Al Qaeda blew up WTC and killed Americans, Do you know what has happened in the American revenge since then? Why didnt America also simply blow up a building in Afghanistan?

Go read the history of WW1, Archduke ferdinand was killed in Sarajevo. 1 single human being and Millions of people were killed in the aftermath. Many of those who died dont even know what caused the war.

Thats the nature of life its never 1 = 1

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Boko Haram Forced Me To Watch My Son Beheaded – Displaced Baga Resident / Health, Education, Niger-Delta To Suffer ₦321 Billion Budget Cut / WTO: Nigeria Is Number One Importer In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.