Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14301 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 3:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
Old man, abeg just don't go there jo!!! We have been through this discourse many times in the past and till date you and your sidekick ACM10 have not been able to produce any shred of evidence to buttress your wild allegation.

If you have any shame, you won't be regurgitating this same old fallicious tales as the yorubas have been vindicated by what Awo accomplished in western region. Zik could not even achieved the same thing for his people so why should we expect him to do anything in the same vein for the yorubas, his main rival.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Onlytruth(m): 3:52pm On Mar 28, 2013

Lt.-Col. Ojukwu: If every Region wants to go its own way and think one day we will meet again, I feel that it may not work properly.... On immediate re-organisation, one would like to see first of all proper command and control. Secondly, we all agreed that most of the soldiers in each Region should come from that Region. The East and the Mid-West are lucky they have all their people there, unfortunately in the West, I have not got enough Westerners in the place and the people in the West are very afraid now because a lot of their own people were killed during January, July and August. I have tried to clear the fear from them but still they insist on having more Yorubas than they have at the moment. [size=14pt]I know there are not enough Yorubas in the Army and those who are there are mostly tradesmen.[/size] I do not want to disrupt other units, but from what I said when we last met in Lagos, we can find an immediate solution to the Yoruba problem. That is, try and continue on the normal quota business which we started in Zaria and as a crash programme we should use Abeokuta area as a crash programme training centre for Westerners, for Mid-Westerners who cannot go to Zaria and possibly for the Easterners who cannot go to Zaria at the moment. I still feel very strongly about this, this is the only way to clear the problem of the Yorubas and this is the only way we can get the confidence of the people of the West because they feel they are the only people now being helped because there are not enough Yorubas in the Army.

ONE CLEAR MAJOR observation by Gowon, which everybody in the room acknowledged and Ojukwu strategically wanted to surmount by insisting that every regional governor must agree to any central governments recommendation before being accepted as law. The Yoruba did not have minimal representation in the army. Infact according to the quote above, they had mainly TRADESMEN (whatever that means!).
So, Aburi would have served them perhaps more than the Easterners and Midwesterners that had enough military personnel.
But if an independent observer (a non-Nigerian) were to observe constant taunts by some Yoruba Nairalanders, he/she would have thought that Nigerian army of that time was dominated by Yoruba.

I'm happy to see some smart Yoruba folks accepting that Ojukwu was right.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Of course, yorubas have never fought major war. Why should i listen to an i.diot like you who reckons a 16 year war is a wrestling contest. I don't know anywhere in the history of this planet where a group of people have wrestle for 17yrs with the attendant loss of thousands of lives.

Yeah of course, old oyo was moved to new oyo but you in your inherently impish manner omit to mention how we gave the same sokoto caliphate a bloody nose at the battle of oshogbo in 1840. Since then we live in mutual respect of each other but you ibos have never fought any major war of repute. Even the british who colonised us all did not refer to the yoruba wars as a wrestling contest. Maybe they could not differentiate between a war and a wrestling contest but you who have never fought any, can.

You are ridiculously idiotic to even insinuate that everybody is ignorant of geography as Yooba peeps. Ordinarily, an overfed fool should easily realize that the distance from Illorin to Oshogbo covers a considerable acreage and citing of retreat to Oshogbo is a coward’s delight.

You are an imbecilic nincompoop to mention a wrestling matches of 16 years as war. The so-called Kiriji was a mere seek and hide play among the Yooba peeps. In the inflated joke, who did the Yooba fight? Anyway, any group of people who remotely believed they are decedents of one goofy fellow who fell from the sky can assume wrestling matches were wars.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy: Old man, abeg just don't go there jo!!! We have been through this discourse many times in the past and till date you and your sidekick ACM10 have not been able to produce any shred of evidence to buttress your wild allegation.

If you have any shame, you won't be regurgitating this same old fallicious tales as the yorubas have been vindicated by what Awo accomplished in western region. Zik could not even achieved the same thing for his people so why should we expect him to do anything in the same vein for the yorubas, his main rival.

I have long submitted you are a marooned numbskull who tend to provide ropes to hang yourself. My previous post was cull from the source link you foolishly provided to back your idiotic plank that one Mr. Ebube Dike suddenly became NCNC. I am not surprised you have once again proved to be a dumbass selective reader.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 4:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
Can't you guys just let these e-war come to an end. Let Gowon enjoy his life and Ojukwu rest in pieces
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

You are ridiculously idiotic to even insinuate that everybody is ignorant of geography as Yooba peeps. Ordinarily, an overfed fool should easily realize that the distance from Illorin to Oshogbo covers a considerable acreage and citing of retreat to Oshogbo a coward’s delight.

You are an imbecilic nincompoop to mention a wrestling matches of 16 years as war. The so-called Kiriji was a mere seek and hide play among the Yooba peeps. In the inflated joke, who did the Yooba fight? Anyway, any group of people who remotely believed they are decedents of one goofy fellow who fell from the sky can assume wrestling matches were wars.

Agabya, oshogbo was the site where the combined forces of the yorubas headed by ibadan confronted the jihadists in 1840 and were fully trounced. Its truism that the old oyo empire was destroyed by the jihadists but the yorubas regrouped at new oyo and fought their enemies to a standstill and since then they never trouble the yorubas, again.

I suppose the brits who regarded the kiriji war in their records as "war" are imbecilic nincompoop too but a flatheaded bushman whose ancestors have never been known to fight any major war is one to listen to.

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 4:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

I have long submitted you are a marooned numbskull who tend to provide ropes to hang yourself. My previous post was cull from the source link you foolishly provided to back your idiotic plank that one Mr. Ebube Dike suddenly became NCNC. I am not surprised you have once again proved to be a dumbass selective reader.

If ebube Dike was not NCNC then he must have been AG.............now who is a dumbass selective

reader, then? seems like its your good self, sir.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:10pm On Mar 28, 2013
Onlytruth:

ONE CLEAR MAJOR observation by Gowon, which everybody in the room acknowledged and Ojukwu strategically wanted to surmount by insisting that every regional governor must agree to any central governments recommendation before being accepted as law. The Yoruba did not have minimal representation in the army. Infact according to the quote above, they had mainly TRADESMEN (whatever that means!).
So, Aburi would have served them perhaps more than the Easterners and Midwesterners that had enough military personnel.
But if an independent observer (a non-Nigerian) were to observe constant taunts by some Yoruba Nairalanders, he/she would have thought that Nigerian army of that time was dominated by Yoruba.

I'm happy to see some smart Yoruba folks accepting that Ojukwu was right.

Your post doesn't take certain things into cognizance.

1. Generals and not foot soldiers win wars. Would you credit Macedonians, Greeks, Spaniards, Bulgarians for Roman military victories or would the defeat and victory be accorded to the Roman generals who led those armies? The Battles between Caesar and Pompeii were fought by mainly European foot soldiers but history records it as a Roman civil war.

2. Before the start of the civil war, Yoruba was under-represented in the Army because the British didn't want Yoruba Muslims in the Army. (Read COLONIAL ARMY RECRUITMENT PATTERNS AND POST-COLONIAL MILITARY COUPS D’ÉTAT IN AFRICA: THE CASE OF NIGERIA, 1966-1993 - Ejiogu for reasons). Anyone with a knowledge of Yoruba warfare would tell you that the main Yoruba Army was in Oyo/Ibadan axis and they were mostly Muslims. But with the encroachment of BAF on Western soil, Gowon had no problems enlisting them to fight the war. It's like saying it was only Biafrans who were in the Army pre-1967 that fought for Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:18pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

You are ridiculously idiotic to even insinuate that everybody is ignorant of geography as Yooba peeps. Ordinarily, an overfed fool should easily realize that the distance from Illorin to Oshogbo covers a considerable acreage and citing of retreat to Oshogbo is a coward’s delight.

Oyo empire was never based at Ilorin. Afonja was based at Ilorin; Ilorin fell not through a military campaign. You should know that. Oyo relocated from Katunga to New Oyo after Katunga was raided by the Nupe. The retreat was strategic as it meant the capital wouldn't be so close to the North. What is instructive to note is that Oyo under Alaafin Ofinran recaptured Old Oyo and Alaafin Orompoto would defeat and capture Nupe land.

Your comments about Kiriji expose your ignorance and/or hatred of those who have a more distinguished military pedigree than you.

5 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by joeyfire(m): 5:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Source=======>http://www.dawodu.com/benson2.htm

But how does an NCNC igbo man trying to smash a mace in the legislature add up to Okpara planning wetie in the western region.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Its unfortunate that Ojukwu didn't fight as assiduously as he did at aburi when his kinsman Ironsi foisted centralised govt on the rest of us with so much as a plebscite. Rather he went on air the following day bragging about how he is going to export many of his kinsmen to the north to take up govtal post in the region. Anyway, at what price was ojukwu willing to fight against a "too powerful central govt"? Certainly, not with his life but the life others excluding of course, his immediate family members. Only "animals" resolve any disagreement (with their peers) with violence as they can't really articulate their thoughts and wishes etc. to others.

grin grin grin

Ojukwu embraced unitary government that was foitered by Ironsi and Nwokedi on the rest of Nigeria for obvious reasons. But as soon as his brothers were no longer in power, he wanted a devolution of power. Biafrans will tell you Ojukwu was smart for wanting strong regional governments in 1967 but they conveniently forget Ojukwu embracing unitary government in 1966 and 'exporting' Igbo civil servants to the North in 1966.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 5:28pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

If ebube Dike was not NCNC then he must have been AG.............now who is a dumbass selective

reader, then? seems like its your good self, sir.

Ebube Dike was not NCNC but a member of NCNC. The actions of Ebube Dike on the floor of western regional House of Assembly did not encompass the collective policy of NCNC or its leadership.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

You are pathetically laughable. Anyway, you are not a stranger to me. I guess humans can be absolved from their fallibility when incapable of discerning a seemingly conflict among them.

It would have been better if you addressed his posts rather than using ad hominem attacks to hide that inability.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 5:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
Katsumoto:

"The federal government attempted to implement the Aburi agreement in diluted form by enacting a modified Constitution (Suspension and Modification) decree (decree cool which turned Nigeria into a de facto confederation, but which did not incorporate ALL of the agreements reached at Aburi. Federal civil servants argued that to implement all of the Aburi agreements would lead to the dissolution of the federation. ojukwu declined to accept the initial draft of the decree and insisted on a full and complete implementation of the Aburi accords.

As the weaker party, could ojukwu still have showed greater pragmatism to spare further suffering for his people? Even with its flaws, decree 8 gave him 90% of what he wanted. The U.S. State Department was “impressed by extent to which decree 8 appears to meet many of East's fundamental demands for much greater regional autonomy. While recognizing that it stops short of granting everything ojukwu wants, Dept. considers decree represents genuine effort by FMG and other Mil Govs to implement Aburi agreements and to retain Nigerian unity in form which least objectionable to East…..Consulate Enugu has reported that some prominent and moderate Easterners may incline toward above view".

WINNER TAKES ALL – NIGERIA’S MALAISE

In the “winner takes all” mentality that is so symptomatic of Nigerian politics, ojukwu unrealistically held out for 100% of his demands and in the end, received 0%. His refusal to be tactically flexible by considering options other than secession, placed him and his people in a worse position than they started in. Rather than turning Nigeria into a confederation (which is what decree 8 did), ojukwu’s give no inch stance gave the federal government an opportunity to overrun the Eastern Region, carve the country into several states and concentrate massive powers in the central government."

http://www.pointblanknews.com/Special_Reports/os4390.html
cool cool cool cool
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

Ebube Dike was not NCNC but a member of NCNC. The actions of Ebube Dike on the floor of western regional House of Assembly did not encompass the collective policy of NCNC or its leadership.

So Ebube Dike was acting alone? If he was, I don't understand how the actions of one man could have prevented the House from sitting. What business was it of NCNC to meddle in an AG matter?

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
Katsumoto:

Oyo empire was never based at Ilorin. Afonja was based at Ilorin; Ilorin fell not through a military campaign. You should know that. Oyo relocated from Katunga to New Oyo after Katunga was raided by the Nupe. The retreat was strategic as it meant the capital wouldn't be so close to the North. What is instructive to note is that Oyo under Alaafin Ofinran recaptured Old Oyo and Alaafin Orompoto would defeat and capture Nupe land.

Your comments about Kiriji expose your ignorance and/or hatred of those who have a more distinguished military pedigree than you.

Who said Oyo Empire was based in Ilorin? The seat of power of Oyo Empire was situated 30 miles north of Ilorin. Whether the alleged retreat was tactical or outright defeat in the hands of Sokoto Caliphate or Nupe Kingdom, the fact remains that 30 miles north of Ilorin to Oshogbo is a considerable land mass to give up as a tactical retreat.

I have fought wars with machine guns and assault rifles including pistols. It is within my educated pedigree and practical experience to declare that Kiriji wrestling matches were cases of gbomogbomo.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by joeyfire(m): 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2013
Gowon is allergic to accountability. Heck this is a man who didnt even like the idea of the oputa panel being held. Write a memoir? for where!
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

Who said Oyo Empire was based in Ilorin? The seat of power of Oyo Empire was situated 30 miles north of Ilorin. Whether the alleged retreat was tactical or outright defeat in the hands of Sokoto Caliphate or Nupe Kingdom, the fact remains that 30 miles north of Ilorin to Oshogbo is considerable of land mass to give up as a tactical retreat.

I have fought wars with machine guns and assault rifles including pistols. It is within my educated pedigree and practical experience to declare that Kiriji wrestling matches were cases of gbomogbomo.

Try to analyse issues and events dispassionately for once. Relocating your capital from point A to Point B doesn't mean you lose the land in between. The relocation from Katunga did not mean giving up the land between the new capital and the old capital. The relocation was as a result of the raid by the Nupe. Only Old Oyo was lost (it was later regained).

Are you suggesting that Oyo should have moved back to Katunga after it captured the land back from the Nupe?

The Romans didn't use machine guns and assault rifles; they must have been wrestling as well. Don't let hatred stop your brain from functioning properly.

5 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 5:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1: I have fought wars with machine guns and assault rifles including pistols. It is within my educated pedigree and practical experience to declare that Kiriji wrestling matches were cases of gbomogbomo.

cheesy grin cheesy

Dendemoron Would you drop your PS3 console and go back to sleep?

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
dayokanu:

cheesy grin cheesy

Dendemoron Would you drop your PS3 console and go back to sleep?

Dayolodo

I suggest you shut up your putrid mouth, agbaya. Everybody is not an idle Joe such as you.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1: Dayolodo

I suggest you shut up your putrid mouth, agbaya. Everybody is not an idle Joe such as you.

Dendemoron Kedu maka ahia, How markate, You sef dey talk say you don see machine gun? See him mouth like Cow anus. (E wo enu e bi obo Maalu)

You think we are discussing about XBOX 360 here?

Pistol ko Pistorius ni

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
Onlytruth:

You have a very dark soul, and I have decided to interact as little as possible with dark souls henceforth.

History states that Ojukwu never planned nor wanted war. He went to Aburi and painstakingly negotiated a peaceful settlement (an internationally supervised Accord) to end the Nigerian crisis.
Everybody, including Gowon, signed onto that Accord happily, raised glasses, hugged and all the rest, only for Gowon to return to Nigeria to trash the Accord. History also recorded that Gowon was the first to order a military action against Eastern Nigeria. All these are facts. Ojukwu never initiated any war; Gowon did.

History also shows that Ojukwu was given a burial which even Nigerian presidents never got. His fame is all over Africa and people like Jerry Rawlings graced his funeral. His coffin was carried by GENERALS in the Nigerian army. These are FACTS.

Now, lets wait for your hero Gowon to die, and lets compare notes then.

Bye. cool

You call Dayokanu a "dark soul", and while I do not agree with how he disparages Igbos I'll say this: YOURE PROBABLY THE MOST EVIL PERSON THAT POSTS ON THIS FORUM OF OVER 1MILLION MEMBERS!!! Everything you ever type is either disrespectful, denigrating or dismissve of others not from your tribal group.

"History shows that Ojukwu never planned or wanted war" ? Lmao Which history are you reading? Why are you always adamant in distorting the truth? Listen, in every contract, if I go back to reread our agreement and find out that youve played a quick one on me, I got every right to take measures to make the agreement void. Go read what Western Analysts have said about the periods preceding the war. Not saying igbo civilians deserved the treatment meted out to them--- I'll never agree to that---- but Ojukwu obviously tried to call Nigeria's bluff, thought hed made enough alliances and certainly went to Aburi with every intention of going to war if EVERYTHING he wanted was not given to him. In a negotiation, you dont get everything you ask for; thats called "strong arming". You give and take. You just dont take, take, take. Ojukwu wanted to be a President within a country ruled over by another President ----how the hell is that possible?

And you statement that God is somehow "punishing" the war actors by taking their lives is daft. Only two things are certain in life: You will live, and you will die. Jerry Rawlings attended Ojukwu's burial... aaaaannnnnnnddddd? When Gowon dies, I bet you will eat your words about the dignitaries that'll attend his funeral. When people try to placate you, you dont turn around and slap them; that'll only anger them. The Nigerian state tried to placate Ndigbo by honoring Ojukwu in death, yet you open your putrid mouth spewing bile that'll make others hate you more and regard you with even more suspicion. Youre the epitome of dummy if ever there was one.

7 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 6:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
dayokanu:

Dendemoron Kedu maka ahia, How markate, You sef dey talk say you don see machine gun? See him mouth like Cow anus. (E wo enu e bi obo Maalu)

You think we are discussing about XBOX 360 here?

Pistol ko Pistorius ni

Dayolodo

Do not mess with a marksman such as me. I do 2inches cluster from 25.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 6:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1: Dayolodo

Do not mess with a marksman such as me. I do 2inches cluster from 25.

See your head if them give you gun I sure say you go handle am with upside down. Dende Schwarzenneger or is it Arnold Schwarze-dende

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
dayokanu:

See your head if them give you gun I sure say you go handle am with upside down. Dende Schwarzenneger or is it Arnold Schwarze-dende

lmaoooo
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 7:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
It has been almost 20 hours, yet no Biafran can articulate the provisions of Aburi that were not addressed by Gowon's Decree 8 of 1967. After 45 years of blaming Gowon for the Civil war, Biafrans should know the provisions of Aburi by heart.

All they have been pointing out is that not all provisions from Aburi were implemented. Gowon, from a position of strength, acceded to most of Ojukwu's demands. Yet Ojukwu, from a position of weakness, rejected approximately 90% of his demands to hold out for 10% (HOS not having the power to fire regional governors). And in the process millions of people died with Ojukwu escaping to avoid capture. Biafrans need some deep introspection.

8 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Tolexander: 7:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
dede1: You are an imbecilic
nincompoop to mention a
wrestling matches of 16 years
as war. The so-called Kiriji was
a mere seek and hide play
among the Yooba peeps. In
the inflated joke, who did the
Yooba fight?
grandpa, good evening sir!
From your post above, you asked who yooba fought? Yoruba is an entity like nigeria is also an entity.
Can we now say nigeria also didn't fight any war in 1967-1970 since nigeria didn't fight any country?
Thank you sir as you are thinking of answering me with humility.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy: Agabya, oshogbo was the site where the combined forces of the yorubas headed by ibadan confronted the jihadists in 1840 and were fully trounced. Its truism that the old oyo empire was destroyed by the jihadists but the yorubas regrouped at new oyo and fought their enemies to a standstill and since then they never trouble the yorubas, again.

I suppose the brits who regarded the kiriji war in their records as "war" are imbecilic nincompoop too but a flatheaded bushman whose ancestors have never been known to fight any major war is one to listen to.

Isn't it ridiculous that the set of people who are primitive in all respect, have absolutely no history of where they descend from, barbaric in all forms and respect until the white men came to open their eyes are now the same set of people describing wars fought by Yorubas as wrestling? grin grin
Awon agba bo won ni ti eru ba pe nile epe alajobi ni yio maa se!

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ROYALD(m): 7:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
dayokanu:

The bolded is very true. Imagine for example a man like Ojuku a common war criminal who should be hung at the stakes and stoned for leading 3million people to their death and when things got hot Fled in the middle of the night leaving the vulnerable to their fate is being hailed as a Hero

Very unfortunate

You dayokanu Lagos/Ibadan propaganda machine remove your Frustrated hands on head
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 7:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
Tolexander: grandpa, good evening sir!
From your post above, you asked who yooba fought? Yoruba is an entity like nigeria is also an entity.
Can we now say nigeria also didn't fight any war in 1967-1970 since nigeria didn't fight any country?
Thank you sir as you are thinking of answering me with humility.

There was a country. The name remains Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 8:00pm On Mar 28, 2013
Katsumoto: It has been almost 20 hours, yet no Biafran can articulate the provisions of Aburi that were not addressed by Gowon's Decree 8 of 1967. After 45 years of blaming Gowon for the Civil war, Biafrans should know the provisions of Aburi by heart.

All they have been pointing out is that not all provisions from Aburi were implemented. Gowon, from a position of strength, acceded to most of Ojukwu's demands. Yet Ojukwu, from a position of weakness, rejected approximately 90% of his demands to hold out for 10% (HOS not having the power to fire regional governors). And in the process millions of people died with Ojukwu escaping to avoid capture. Biafrans need some deep introspection.

I wanted to leave this thread, but your wild claims keep drawing me back. You made a claim yesterday that all Aburi provisions but one were honoured by Gowon. I asked you to produce the Aburi agreement in your possession , for us to analyze the provisions that were honoured and the ones that were left out. So far, you've not produced any.

You keep regurgitating the internet claims without any proof to back it up. If I may ask you, how did you arrive at 90% and 10%. At your level, I expect you to read internet write-ups like a critic, but all you do is to swallow every internet claims hook, line and sinker. Have you ever bothered to research if those claims from your sources are based on truism?

I pledged within myself to let you be on this thread, but I feel that the first bolded is an indirect jab at me, thereby necessitating my response.

I'm back from work and ready to have a debate with you on Aburi provisions that were honoured and the ones that were left out/watered down if need be.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2013
kingoflag:
"History shows that Ojukwu never planned or wanted war" ?
Go read what Western Analysts have said about the periods preceding the war. Not saying igbo civilians deserved the treatment meted out to them--- I'll never agree to that---- but Ojukwu obviously tried to call Nigeria's bluff, thought hed made enough alliances and certainly went to Aburi with every intention of going to war if EVERYTHING he wanted was not given to him.
Ojukwu wanted to be a President within a country ruled over by another President ----how the hell is that possible?

I will never wish to join issues with you or argue with you. But please take out time and read the transcript and please also quote the "western account of history" where it states that Ojukwu wanted war and that his ultimate aim was to be a President.

I have had and read different account of the war, from Igbos and Yorubas alike. If you say Ojukwu was proud because he considered himself intelligent, I will agree. If you go on to say that Ojukwu felt that he can look down on Gowon because they are equal in rank , I will agree to that. But to say that Ojukwu WANTED WAR was a far cry from the truth.
You can furnish me with the title of the book or the version of western history that suggests that Ojukwu wanted war. Even the West, especially Britain knew that what Ojukwu was fighting for is far better thanj anything they could ever wish for Nigeria. And unfortunately we are still struggling to attain Ojukwu's Ideal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

President Buhari Appoints Ezra Yakusak As New NEPC CEO / Enugu-abakiliki-cameroun Highway Almost Completed(video) / I Never Faced N25 Billion Corruption Charge – Goje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.