Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,750 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? (32509 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / Xenophobia: South Africa Vs One Nigeria.[photo][viewer discretion] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by EzePromoe: 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
ewet:
1. Culturally SA is more recognised,the Zulu and afrikaans language is beta recognised ahead of any nigerian language and this is due mainly to SA's tourism potentials.with tourism you can easily sell your culture and naija is no where near SA on this.

You must be high on tea.
Hausa language on its own has influence many minority languages in Middle Belt, Nigeria, Northern Cameroon, Niger Republic, Northern Mali, Burkina Faso etc. Same for Yoruba but not on minorities but has been able to transport its culture to Togo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Benin etc.
Igbos do theirs through what you see in Nollywood.
Go to East Africa today, most of them refer Nigerians to as, "the Chukwus".
Even Ekoi, a minority has influenced Southern Cameroon.
NIGERIA IS JUST TOO MUCH FOR A NATION! Ask U.S.A why they want Nigeria's split.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by kajoula(m): 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
$£yi:
From history Nigeria is more influential. Even S/A's history is incomplete without stating Nigeria's influence on her during the apartheid era which paved way for the liberation of the black South Africans.

Nigeria's influence on African countries are way more pronounced.
The dead military ruler of Libya knows better. He was never in good relationship with Nigeria which made him have less supporter among the countries in Africa during the time he needed Africa's support against the western powers, despite the 100% support he had from SA he failed.
When it comes to elective positions in AU, Nigeria's choice most time takes the lead.

Economically, SA is more influential which anytime soon will be overtaken by Nigeria as the nation to reckon with in Africa's economy.

Nigerians can deceive themselves oo,....We live in a country driven by corruption with unemployment ticking & ready to explode . So why comparing it to a country that is far advanced,we need to tackle our internal crisis before all these compere. . . . !

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by 360command: 12:32pm On Apr 04, 2013
jidewin:
grin grin You like taunting South Africans on this forum.Soon this thread will derail to "who is better than who".My contribution South African hold sway in SADC region, While Nigeria does same in WEST Africa.No more no less.

This is a globalized economy . As you have stated, it is very true. Nigeria get levels when it comes to West africa, so as South africa get levels when it comes to South of africa(SADC). This also goes to Ivory coast having levels amongst the francophone regions in africa. due to the fact that it is a globalized economy, when you bring this 3 countries up and put up a question as the OP stated, which is more influential? it is likely to see that one is more superior than the other.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 12:34pm On Apr 04, 2013
Eze Promoe:

You must be high on tea.
Hausa language on its own has influence many minority languages in Middle Belt, Nigeria, Northern Cameroon, Niger Republic, Northern Mali, Burkina Faso etc. Same for Yoruba but not on minorities but has been able to transport its culture to Togo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Benin etc.
Igbos do theirs through what you see in Nollywood.
Go to East Africa today, most of them refer Nigerians to as, "the Chukwus".
Even Ekoi, a minority has influenced Southern Cameroon.
NIGERIA IS JUST TOO MUCH FOR A NATION! Ask U.S.A why they want Nigeria's split.

There's even a town called "Bekuta" (from Abeokuta) in Brazil and Hausa has often been recommended as a potential lingua franca for West Africa.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Evestar200(f): 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
First of all ask ur sef what are d influence dat SA has make in pple of nigeria? And what are d influence nigeria has make in pple of SA? Then u will d ansa to dis question
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by jidewin(m): 12:39pm On Apr 04, 2013
360command:

This is a globalized economy . As you have stated, it is very true. Nigeria get levels when it comes to West africa, so as South africa get levels when it comes to South of africa(SADC). This also goes to Ivory coast having levels amongst the francophone regions in africa. due to the fact that it is a globalized economy, when you bring this 3 countries up and put up a question as the OP stated, which is more influential? it is likely to see that one is more superior than the other.
Hen Ivory wetin grin grin grin grin no be the same coast jona send naija soldiers to go sort them out for the GBEGE between the incumbent and past presido?which kain swagga...abi no be de same cote 'dvoire i visited last year? Gbaun!...dem still dey struggle my guy grin.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by omonnakoda: 12:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
South Africa today is a more developed nation with a marginally bigger economy. I believe Nigeria is more influential in a number of spheres. Nigeria is quite influential in the Arts ; literature ,music and even Nollywood(which I personally dislike). Nigeria's influence has been seen in the Big Brother Africa Tv series convincingly. In political matters I think both countries are quite influential though there is likely to be increasing rivalry as was seen in the recent jostling for leadership at the African Union. Eventually South Africa got their way but Nigeria's influence in blocking that initially was clear. South Africa with its wealth has not been as generous as the likes of Nigeria and more recently Gaddafi. Though experience suggests such generosity is quickly forgotten if it dries up. Influence does not depend on what you did in the past as much as what you can and will do now and in the future. I think if the Gaddafi regime was still intact it would arguably be more influential than Nigeria or South Africa.

Another form of influence is the overall impact on the Economy of the region and continent. South African companies like MTN e.g are more successful and arguably more influential that Nigerian companies. One would expect South Africa to be more influential with Zimbabwe that with Ghana and Vice versa Nigeria.
Still, both countries attract a lot of resentment for different reasons but such is the nature of influence or power those who feel it do not have to love you. It is hard to say really who is more influential overall but it seems Nigeria's economy is growing faster and that suggests greater influence if that should continue

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by mizzochocinco: 12:45pm On Apr 04, 2013
Eze Promoe: For the second time, "who's more influential" not "who's better than" , South Africa may be better than (arguable though) but Nigeria is more influential (unarguable). All aspect of Nigeria tends to influence all other African countries.
Example, Africa Magic which is viewed by all Africans and owned by South Africans looks like "Nigeria Magic", i'm talking of Nollywood now.
Africans are proud that they are able to produce rivals of other hit movie industries like Hollywood and Bollywood, but today Nollywood has overtaken Hollywood in quantity of movies produced per year, and is coming second in the world now after Bollywood.
I happen to watch MUVI TV in my decoder, which is a Zambian TV station, but you'll hardly note that because of its Nigerian movie content.

What of music, Nigerian artistes hang around with the world's biggest artiste today e.g Wizkid who taught Chris Brown how to dance Azonto hence making Chris Brown give the credit to Nigeria instead of Ghana where the dance originated from, you hear of Akon, Rick Ross & P-Square, Davido & Akon, 2face and R-Kelly. Do you ask yourself, what makes these high calibre artistes find Nigerian artiste worthy to hang out with.

In Military, Nigeria has been able to support countries like Mali, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Togo, Burkina Faso and even this same South Africa that are comparing themselves to Nigeria.

I won't say further until the need to do so.
and then?

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by dominique(f): 12:46pm On Apr 04, 2013
I don't think the op is referring to the country with the best infrastructure or economy. South Africa takes that one. But talking of who has the most influence in pop culture or entertainment, Nigeria takes that one. How many African youths are learning SA slangs and music. Nigerian movies are sold and watched in virtually all african country. We have east and southern africans trying to learn pidgin english. So in these aspects Nigeria is more influential than south Africa.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by LarrySun(m): 12:47pm On Apr 04, 2013
Rossikk: Then don't say spiteful stuff like "influential my rectum". Respect the country if you want to be respected.
Okay, my bad. I'm sorry about that.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by 360command: 12:48pm On Apr 04, 2013
jidewin:
Hen Ivory wetin grin grin grin grin no be the same coast jona send naija soldiers to go sort them out for the GBEGE between the incumbent and past presido?which kain swagga...abi no be de same cote 'dvoire i visited last year? Gbaun!...dem still dey struggle my guy grin.

dont get it twisted, i am saying that Cote d'ivoire is the best french speaking countries in africa. Tell me which french speaking african countries can be compared to as IVORY COAST in terms of economic power or military aside from North africans. because if you have been to the North african countries, they themselves will tell you they are not africans but arabs.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Rossikk(m): 12:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
Japan is more technologically developed than the USA, but we know who carries more influence. It's not all about technology biko.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by mruknaijaboy(m): 12:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
I would say in the film and music industry nigeria is more influencial and also nigeria has a more influencial military due to having the most soldiers

But in terms of better living, democracy, security, infastructure, education, opportunity, south africa is the USA of Africa

Film and music industry does nothing for the masses of nigeria and having a military with more manpower to send to other countries but not being able to improve the security in your own country and make sure your own country is secure shows that something is wrong, so therefore I would say SA wins in terms of being more influencial
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by SuperSuave(m): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nigeria is more influential than SA! Buh SA is living better. And I *think their economy is better. Buh SA is more developed sha. Even 9ja celebs now go to SA to shoot music videos and holidays.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by mizzochocinco: 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2013
Useless goats!
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
omonnakoda: Nigeria is quite influential in the Arts ; literature ,music and even Nollywood(which I personally dislike).
please explain how movies wit titles like "rihanna vs beyonce" have more influence in africa or the world as a whole undecided ...how is lacking originality more influential? I'm intrigued

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: SA is more influential, many africans have managed to seek better lives in SA...well and some haven't. The universities give a better quality of education recognised widely all over the world...Madiba infuenced ideas of democracy and equality, which are now being recognised in other african countries and he also had great infuence in decolonisation in africa along with other african leaders. The SA govt attempts to meet the interest of its own people as much as they can e.g quality education for all, quality services, gender equality, freedom of expression.

They give the opportunity for their youth to become better leaders and to learn to make wiser and better choices in life.
The SA Constitution is not only for the benefit of its own people, but everyone that resides within SA, where the values of human dignity, equality and freedom are of vital importance
the question is simple, how has SA influenced other countries, not the other way round
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
mizzocho.cinco:
All Nigerian men know is stealing moni and yarnshing, besides dat, you cannot get dem to do anything influential wiv their time. Useless goats!

tell me something influential a single south african man has done, but even nigeria influenced sa when they were fighting for their independence. shikena!
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
this thread has gone the way i did not intend. I wasnt asking which country is better than the other. I was asking which country HAS MORE INFLUENCE IN AFRICA. And by INFLUENCE i mean, THE ABILITY TO INDUCE CHANGE AND EFFECT in other countries.

I gave some criteria to judge this and if anyone thinks there is something i am leaving out or that my criteria is not a competent scale of measurement, let the person bring it forth so we can have a fairer discussion. The criteria are as follows:

culture: this includes your material and non material culture BEING FOUND IN OTHER PARTS OF THE CONTINENT.

ECONOMY: this is not the quantity of your GDP but HOW IMPORTANT ONES ECONOMY IS TO OTHER COUNTRIES SO THAT IF THERE IS PROBLEM IN THE PIVOT ECONOMY, THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS IN THE OTHERS.

POLITICS: by this, we do not mean how much insurgency or racial suspecion either country may have, BUT HOW MUCH SAY ONE HAVE IN THE POlITICAL DIRECTION OF THE CONTINENT.

MILITARY: by this, i do not mean the number of your personel or huge weapons either of the country may have, BUT HOW STRATEGICALLY IMPORTANT EITHER OF THEM HAVE BEEN AND STILL IS TO THE PEACE AND SECURITY OF THE CONTINENT
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 1:12pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: please explain how movies wit titles like "rihanna vs beyonce" have more influence in africa or the world as a whole undecided ...how is lacking originality more influential? I'm intrigued

naptu2: grin some are mixing up the questions "which is more influential" and "which is better".

An example of influence. In the mid 2000s I listened to a BBC radio programme in which their Uganda correspondent said that kids in Uganda were trying to speak with a Nigerian accent in order to imitate their nollywood stars. That's influence.

However, the question of whether there's 24 hours electricity or 2 hours electricity a day in Lagos has no effect on the life of the everyday man on the streets of Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 04, 2013
mizzocho.cinco:
Kai see what stupidity has caused in Nigeria! Biggest artistes today? Wait
, you mean those idiots dat buy cars dey can't get serviced in Nigeria? All de money those guys spend is not even from their music, its sponsorships from big companies, which most of dem are internationally owned. Nigeria military wot? All you know is wasting money on machinery not needed instead of providing constant electricity supply and water for your people.
Mtchewwww see this Olodo!
When has singing about flying a girl to eat pizza become more influential than teaching your children to become better leaders of tomorrow? Abeg stop this rubbish!
Southy does not need to compare dem selves to Nigeria becos SA is far far above Nigeria.
All Nigerian youth know is computer village day and night, girls sleeping wiv married man just to get another dead woman's hair. All you hear is money on my mind as if dey would know anything sensible to do wiv it when dey get it.
You want to buy Range Rover to drive in potholes, a month down the line you will be robbing people on de streets jus to buy new tire
After reading this post if urs, i peeped the topic, read it again, checked how ur post relate to it then got puzzled..bros na indomie de ur head? angry

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by nathdim: 1:18pm On Apr 04, 2013
sh
ey be na we go collect all d channel o award 4 their backyard
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by nathdim: 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
shey be na we go collect all d channel o award 4 their backyard
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
sheyie2007: the question is simple, how has SA influenced other countries, not the other way round
I pretty sure I stated that, but I guess I have to point it out again for those that don't catch up quickly smiley

•like I said Nelson Mandela's influence in decolonisation in Africa

•the 1994 interim Constitution of SA which introduce democracy and equality for all, which most african countries are now incorporating in their on legal systems

•an opportunity for other africans to live a better life in SA

•quality education and better medical service provided for all...including those who ilegally entered the Republic and fraudulenty obtained citizenship smiley
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by omonnakoda: 1:23pm On Apr 04, 2013
Rossikk: Japan is more technologically developed than the USA, but we know who carries more influence. It's not all about technology biko.
On what basis is Japan more technologically advanced?, please do not say what you do not know. Without any doubt today the US is the most developed technologically and as far as Technology goes it is the most influential too
Check out how many Nobel Prizes the Japanese have won compared to the Americans.
The sheer volume of technological innovation coming out of the US is unrivalled
Whether in computing; hardware,software,pharmaceutics,aviation and space technology,military hardware etc US technology has has the greatest worldwide impact over the last 100 years.
Thank America for the mobile phone,Intel,Microsoft,Google,Facebook,Boeing,Pfizer,Mobil,General Electric

The light bulb,Telephone,Mobile phone,Internet,television,video games,motorcycle,toilet roll( cheesy),Artificial Hearts for humans,Laser, and most important Chewing Gum!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by pazienza(m): 1:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
donroxy: Nigeria could not even Influenced taking back Her Land from ICJ........Bakassi peninsula....the region was pathetically ceded to Cameroon.....while the people were and are still Nigerians,lamenting their woes......!!!
British is still controlling/influencing falkland island.... Where Argentina shd be controlling......thats the irony of Global politics!!!

INFLUENCE,holistically is beyond the context of any AFRICAN COUNTRY......thats how the oyinbo work Africa mathmatics ooo.....NEO-COLONIALISM.....(u can only grow not develop,u can only murmur not shout/bark,U can't do anything......) Black World!!!

U have said it all.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 1:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
Oops! I forgot to mention another aspect of culture. Our pastors! People like T.B Joshua, Enoch Adeboye, Chris Oyakhilome and David Oyedepo have massive influence over millions of Africans across the continent, such that heads of state of African countries come to seek their opinions on issues ranging from electoral fortunes to healthcare.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
No offence but even Ghana is much more influential than Nigeria undecided

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by RedLight1: 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
kandiikane:

Is that so? With all this and majority of the population live in poverty? It's like going out, praising and patting yourself for feeding homeless people whilst your family is at home dying one by one from starvation.
are u living in poverty and starvation?
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by RedLight1: 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: No offence but even Ghana is much more influential than Nigeria undecided
lmao grin grin
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by LarrySun(m): 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: No offence but even Ghana is much more influential than Nigeria undecided
I'd love to hear you explanation about that. Please don't tell me it's because they created Azonto grin
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
kandiikane:

Is that so? With all this and majority of the population live in poverty? It's like going out, praising and patting yourself for feeding homeless people whilst your family is at home dying one by one from starvation.
thank you for pointing that out. Charity begins at home

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Lawan, Akume Lead Anti-saraki Senators Out Of Plenary In Protest / IPOB Will Participate In Elections In Abia, Ebonyi –nnamdi Kanu / Yahaya Bello Walks Nasir Ajanah, Chief Judge Out From State Function

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.