Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,190 members, 7,953,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:04 PM

Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew (43597 Views)

Emir Sanusi Prays At The Tomb Of Murtala Muhammed (Pic) / Buhari At The 40th Memorial Lecture Of Murtala Muhammed (Photos) / Tribunal Nullifies Murtala Badaru's Election For Not Attaining 30yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by eagleeye2: 6:38pm On May 13, 2013
Point B, If you are looking for a Murderer you have one there albeit post humously.
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Reyspin(m): 6:40pm On May 13, 2013
babyosisi:

[size=13pt]I hope he is rotting in hell where he rightly belongs.[/size]
The same bullets he pumped on civilians for sport,were dished to him
God bless the Dimka lineage for ridding us of this monster and avenging the death of innocent civilians
If I had my way Murtala Mohammed airport would be changed to a more befitting Statesman's name
Please oo Mr. Saint mention One Nigerian Stateman you know.... Just One!!!
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 13, 2013
The most undeserving of the accolades granted to Nigerian leaders.
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 13, 2013
Ahasco:

He was a tribalist I don't haye him though but I hate wat he did
You are very very stewpid for quoting the whole thread to write this crap you just wrote. Dundee!

@ post, i remember some years back i watched an interview on NTA about Murtala 's wife and her love for flowers. She was actually being interviewed. I have never seen a garden as beautiful as hers. Beautiful woman, beautiful garden. May his husband's soul rest in peace.

4 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Abiyamo: 6:47pm On May 13, 2013
Thank you very much smiley
AnOlAd: ku ise.... admiring u...
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Intrepid1(m): 6:47pm On May 13, 2013
It is only in Nigeria that a certified war criminal is revered. Utter rubbish!

4 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:48pm On May 13, 2013
Only in Nigeria would people revere a proven genocidal mass murderer of civilians and immortalize him with great monuments in his honour. It's like Germany immortalizing Nazis and World War 2 war criminals. But I guess Nigeria has never been the sanest of countries.

5 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:50pm On May 13, 2013
Intrepid!:
It is only in Nigeria that a certified war criminal is revered. Utter rubbish!
lol.......e be like say you chop winch. You read my thoughts exactly.
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 13, 2013
Ahasco:

He was a tribalist I don't haye him though but I hate wat he did
Oga see hw u qouted d whole story jst to write Trash. Na wah for u ooohhhh
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:53pm On May 13, 2013
May God bless his soul! My grandmother told me Murtala Mohammed came to the market one evening without security to buy fresh fish without a single security guard. He was there for more than 20 minutes and everyone was shaking his hand and touching him. Imagine that in Nigeria of today.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 13, 2013
Obi1kenobi: Only in Nigeria would people revere a proven genocidal mass murderer of civilians and immortalize him with great monuments in his honour. It's like Germany immortalizing Nazis and World War 2 war criminals. But I guess Nigeria has never been the sanest of countries.

Thank you
Nigerians celebrate rubbish
This was a man who led the counter coup of 1966 and slaughter of countless Eastern officers that spiraled to the pogrom that cost over 30,000 lives of innocent Eastern souls.
When the war broke he perfected his killings by supervising the massacre of civilians in Asaba and Onitsha and it's environs

History has it that Murtala and his men in a certain village slaughtered all the males for sport
The same murderous individual was hell bent on ruling Nigeria
He yearned to rule Nigeria and the books tell us he hated Gowon with a perfect hatred and made no secret of it.
He felt he deserved that presidency by his role in the massacres of 1966 and his core north heritage not Gowon who was a middle belter.

When he got a chance,he led yet another coup in 1975 that ousted Gowon and gave him what he had always desired from the age of 28,Nigeria's presidency
Well he didn't last long,thank God and here people want me to celebrate him?

We need to be informed of what he stood for not all the praise singing when people die.

7 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by CHIMSKY(m): 6:57pm On May 13, 2013
The guy got what was coming to him.Bisalla did a fantastic job.If Murtala had remained HOS for 2 years,he would have Boko Harammed Nigeria and implemented Sharia by force.
Nigerian should develop better memories and stop turning genocidal maniacs into war heroes.

5 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by 50calibre(m): 6:57pm On May 13, 2013
This guy is in no way a hero, I honestly to God hope he is languishing in hell for all the vile he visited upon the Igbos.

This guy after the civil war ordered that all Igbos regardless of how much they had in the bank, be given just 20 pounds.

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 13, 2013
CHIMSKY: The guy got what was coming to him.Bisalla did a fantastic job.If Murtala had remained HOS for 2 years,he would have Boko Harammed Nigeria and implemented Sharia by force.
Nigerian should develop better memories and stop turning genocidal maniacs into war heroes.

Bissalla and DImka need post humous awards IMHO

4 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by danny301: 6:59pm On May 13, 2013
babyosisi:

Ojukwu died at a ripe old age of 70 plus and was celebrated by Nigeria
And he didn't drink rat poison either lipsrsealed
This one was slaughtered like a dog on a city street in Rambo style
He deserved it because of his atrocities

I guess Aguiyi Ironsi too died at a ;very ripe old age' and in the 'comfort of his room'! For the record, i do not hate any individual or tribe but i hate it when a particular tribe rejoices over every calamity that befalls others. Death is a mystery which no man can explain.... Anybody can die anytime and anywhere...... Several people that alive today or even some of the people died at 'very at ripe old age' are not better than some of the people that died prematurely..... Next time when talking about issue as mysterious as death do not all your hatred for other people or tribes to get the better part of you.

13 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 13, 2013
danny301:

I guess Aguiyi Ironsi too died at a ;very ripe old age' and in the 'comfort of his room'! For the record, i do not hate any individual or tribe but i hate it when a particular tribe rejoices over every calamity that befalls others. Death is a mystery which no man can explain.... Anybody can die anytime and anywhere...... Several people that alive today or even some of the people died at 'very at ripe old age' are not better than some of the people that died prematurely..... Next time when talking about issue as mysterious as death do not all your hatred for other people or tribes to get the better part of you.

I refuse to sing praises for Adolph Hitler
That is the summary of my posts here cool cool cool

If you choose to dwell on one response without taking cognizance of the post that deserved such a response,that is your cup of tea
A man whose hands and feet had been soaked in blood since 1966 was killed in 1976,the only question should be why not sooner
Why did he enjoy those 10 years when his victims got no such chances

6 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Babaofor(m): 7:13pm On May 13, 2013
All this people dat quote a whole topic just to make a sentence comment should be banned
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by pannyman(m): 7:15pm On May 13, 2013
A lot of stories have been told of how he supervised the massacre of the male population of some place in Asaba or near Asaba. None of the people who peddle this story on Nairaland was there, and the man, Murtala is not alive to defend himself. It is always easy to accuse the dead because they cannot speak. Well, one day we will all give account for every word we have spoken.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by owobokiri(m): 7:17pm On May 13, 2013
Murtala was more of an empty vessel that made endless noise. If your typical example of action leader is Murtala then you have it all twisted. Ego driven, he was more interested in sacking all the top beuracrats around. You can point to the many dismissals he made without finding anything he built. A blood thirsty iddiot on steroid, he supervised the worst slaughter of defenseless civilians in the history of this country pre-Obasanjo. There should be a Dimka for every Murtala. The bastard is surely rotting in the hottest part of hell

7 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 13, 2013
pannyman: A lot of stories have been told of how he supervised the massacre of the male population of some place in Asaba or near Asaba. None of the people who peddle this story on Nairaland was there, and the man, Murtala is not alive to defend himself. It is always easy to accuse the dead because they cannot speak. Well, one day we will all give account for every word we have spoken.

Exactly! God bless you.
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 13, 2013
Rossikk:

Great point. I would have placed Murtala Muhammed as Nigeria's No 1 leader, but that place has been taken by Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Still, Gen. Murtala Muhammed was one of Nigeria's greatest leaders and will remain very highly regarded by the people.

This is someone who supervised the killings of children from your own people and the above quote is all you can say.

Are you ok?
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 13, 2013
berem: You are very very stewpid for quoting the whole thread to write this crap you just wrote. Dundee!

@ post, i remember some years back i watched an interview on NTA about Murtala 's wife and her love for flowers. She was actually being interviewed. I have never seen a garden as beautiful as hers. Beautiful woman, beautiful garden. May his husband's soul rest in peace.

See my above comment.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 13, 2013
[size=18pt]An interview by the late Chief Enahoro in 1998 as he addressed a group of Igbos who questioned him on the war[/size]

One of the most contradictory facts to demonstrate the inaccuracy of Gowon’s assertion comes from Gowon’s own wartime Federal Information Commissioner and foremost Nigerian war propagandist during the civil war, Chief Anthony Enahoro. In the first few months of 1998, one Jumoke Ogunkeyede, head of the "United Committee to Save Nigeria" organized a kind of reconciliation meeting between Chief Anthony Enahoro and some Igbos in New Jersey, USA. In that meeting, and in answer to one of the questions posed to Chief Enahoro about his anti-Biafran role during the civil war, Chief Enahoro, who thankfully, is alive and well today, said in part:
[b]
"Do you really know anything about what happened during that war? I was the one that stopped late Gen. Murtala Mohammed from further massacre of innocent children and mothers. At a point when Britain refused to sell further arms to Nigeria because they had ample evidence from the Red Cross of the federal forces killing innocent civilians, I confronted Gowon with the fact and that the only way I can get Britain through my contact with their High Commissioner to resume a supply of weapon to Nigeria was that Murtala had to leave that war sector. Either Murtala leaves or I will have to leave his cabinet. Gowon told me that he is willing to call a meeting and on the condition I will be the one to confront Murtala. If there was anybody that Gowon feared so much it was Murtala Mohammed. At the meeting of the Federal Executive Council, I confronted Mohammed with elaborate evidence complete with photographs. He was livid. He could not refute them so he resorted to calling me all sorts of names prompting me to observe before the council that if he was a fine officer as he claims to be, he should not be acting the way he was acting. Needless to say that I was instrumental to his withdrawal from that sector and subsequent appointment as a minister". (See "The Nigerian and Africa" magazine, March 1998, page 10)
[/b]
From this uncoerced and uninduced testimony of Chief Enahoro, who incidentally is still alive today, one can make the following observations:

That Murtala’s genocidal campaign against the Midwestern Igbos was well known and documented by the Red Cross
That the genocide imperiled Nigerian’s ability to secure arms supply from Britain.
That in attempt to maintain British arms supply to Nigeria, Chief Enahoro confronted Gowon with this reality widely documented by the Red Cross.
That Gowon was reluctant to confront Murtala with the allegation and indeed would not confront Murtala with it unless Enahoro would do it by himself, which he did, and
That it took a threat from Enahoro to Gowon "to leave his cabinet", for Gowon to eventually address the issue and remove Murtala and commander of the 2nd infantry Division.
I must say that Enahoro’s sincerity in his testimony is commendable. Enahoro admitted that his quest to stop Murtala’s murderous campaign among the Midwestern Igbos was to save the British arms supply to Nigeria and not out of sympathy or concern for the lives of those Igbos for whatever they were worth (at least not on the record). I think that Gowon should emulate this Enahoro’s sincerity and not come 34 years later to claim that he didn’t know something he abundantly knew.

7 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 13, 2013
My goodness sad

I need to stop coming to Nairaland...a lot of the things I have read here in the past few years have not mentally nor spiritually healthy.
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 13, 2013
danny301:

This I Respect .....!!!

ku she oo !!!

3 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by ClitorialDept: 7:30pm On May 13, 2013
Do they want to resurrect him and have him contest against GEJ come 2015?

All these military apologist and mediocre promoters are increasing by the day and these useless MOD put this FAIL propaganda on front page. I will have you all know that Murtala fought on the Nigerian side during the civil war as an officer and was in charge of rampaging Nigerian soldiers who raped, pillaged and killed innocent civilians.

Now that's the Murtala we should discuss.

3 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 13, 2013
By Comrade Lawrence Chinedu Nwobu

[b]As the civil-war commenced, Murtala Muhammed entered the war in the Midwest campaign where he robbed the Central Bank in Benin, and began his litany of war crimes. Federal forces under his command unleashed a massacre of Igbos in Benin city and environs, however Asaba became the legendary centre were Murtala Muhammed set a record of war crimes. In a rain of blood, [size=18pt]tens of thousands of innocent youths, some of them just 6 years old were lined up on the streets of Asaba and executed in cold blood on the direct orders of Murtala Muhammed[/size]. The Asaba massacre was the first of its kind in Africa and remains one of the bloodiest to date in the history of the African continent. As a further testimony to the bloodlust and depravity demonstrated by Murtala Muhammed and his forces, few kilometres away in Onitsha, another barbaric massacre was unleashed in the Apostolic Church where over 300 civilians, devout Christians including women and children who had stayed back and continued in their prayers after the fall of Onitsha were brutally murdered in cold blood. [/b]

But beyond his crude barbarity which he repeatedly manifested in the violation of women and cold blooded massacre of defenceless civilians, he was an ill disciplined, failed soldier who In spite of the immense amounts of men and ammunition at his disposal suffered crushing defeats in most of his military campaigns against barely armed Biafran soldiers. His military campaign to take Onitsha, where he acted against orders from military headquarters ended in a humiliating defeat, and his 96 vehicle column of heavily armed troops who were ambushed and totally wiped out at Abagana are some of the worst defeats suffered by the Nigerian army in the civil war. His string of tactical failures led to his exit from the war theatre.

No doubt, one of the greatest murderers, war criminals, and opportunists in Nigeria‘s chequered history, his entire war career is littered with war crimes committed in different theatres of war.

In July 1975, he seized power in a coup but was shot dead in a military putsch in February 1976, at last a victim of the bullets he had used to kill so many. In the end he left behind a legacy of barbarities, war crimes, bank robbery, destruction of the federal civil service and failure as a soldier. An avowed secessionist who became an opportunist apostle of one Nigeria, not because he genuinely believed in Nigeria, but for reasons of opportunism. The emergence of his likes as leaders, remains the greatest reason why Nigeria has failed.

Murtala Muhammed’s hands are soiled with so much blood, and even though by his death he escaped justice in the physical, he is sure getting his punishment in the spiritual realm. His entire generation of descendants shall also continue to pay one way or the other for the sins of their father.

Source: http://asaba.com/?p=352

6 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 13, 2013
nnenna.1:
My goodness sad

I need to stop coming to Nairaland...a lot of the things I have read here in the past few years have not mentally nor spiritually healthy.

The essence of threads like this is to educate
So when people celebrate their heroes they know the real stories surrounding that hero
I believe I have done justice to thread
Sai gobe! grin

But before I leave read Gowon's fake apology and lies about not knowing about Murtala's atrocities which Enahoro disproves.

"It came to me as a shock when I came to know about the unfortunate happenings that happened to the sons and daughters of this state especially of this (Asaba) domain. I felt very touched and honestly I referred to it (killings) and ask for forgiveness being the one who was in charge that time. Certainly, it is not something that I would have approved of in whatsoever. I was made ignorant of it, I think until it appeared in the papers. A young man wrote a book at that time… It just happened seven hours ago when I was visiting the state for our nation prayers, I took the opportunity of being with his Royal Majesty (Asagba of Asaba) to make this public apology on behalf of myself and government of Nigeria at that time and to ask for forgiveness as we have to look at the future. I feel very touched when we acme this time to hear his majesty refer to it again."

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2003/apr/092-1.html

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 13, 2013
It's not dis man dat captured a town n delta state during de biafra war n slaughterd evry body n dat town includin children cos dey ar igbos. Wot a bulshit. A man hu klls by de sword wll also die by de sword. Mathew 26. 52-53

1 Like

Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 13, 2013
Van snickers:
I hope he meets Ojukwu there, the man who selfishly led his People into a War that almost became Genocide.

Na Ojukwu prolly met him there

Who died first?

Same sin different motives
Re: Murtala Muhammed - Things You Never Knew by ClitorialDept: 7:39pm On May 13, 2013
babyosisi: By Comrade Lawrence Chinedu Nwobu

[b]As the civil-war commenced, Murtala Muhammed entered the war in the Midwest campaign where he robbed the Central Bank in Benin, and began his litany of war crimes. Federal forces under his command unleashed a massacre of Igbos in Benin city and environs, however Asaba became the legendary centre were Murtala Muhammed set a record of war crimes. In a rain of blood, [size=18pt]tens of thousands of innocent youths, some of them just 6 years old were lined up on the streets of Asaba and executed in cold blood on the direct orders of Murtala Muhammed[/size]. The Asaba massacre was the first of its kind in Africa and remains one of the bloodiest to date in the history of the African continent. As a further testimony to the bloodlust and depravity demonstrated by Murtala Muhammed and his forces, few kilometres away in Onitsha, another barbaric massacre was unleashed in the Apostolic Church where over 300 civilians, devout Christians including women and children who had stayed back and continued in their prayers after the fall of Onitsha were brutally murdered in cold blood. [/b]

But beyond his crude barbarity which he repeatedly manifested in the violation of women and cold blooded massacre of defenceless civilians, he was an ill disciplined, failed soldier who In spite of the immense amounts of men and ammunition at his disposal suffered crushing defeats in most of his military campaigns against barely armed Biafran soldiers. His military campaign to take Onitsha, where he acted against orders from military headquarters ended in a humiliating defeat, and his 96 vehicle column of heavily armed troops who were ambushed and totally wiped out at Abagana are some of the worst defeats suffered by the Nigerian army in the civil war. His string of tactical failures led to his exit from the war theatre.

No doubt, one of the greatest murderers, war criminals, and opportunists in Nigeria‘s chequered history, his entire war career is littered with war crimes committed in different theatres of war.

In July 1975, he seized power in a coup but was shot dead in a military putsch in February 1976, at last a victim of the bullets he had used to kill so many. In the end he left behind a legacy of barbarities, war crimes, bank robbery, destruction of the federal civil service and failure as a soldier. An avowed secessionist who became an opportunist apostle of one Nigeria, not because he genuinely believed in Nigeria, but for reasons of opportunism. The emergence of his likes as leaders, remains the greatest reason why Nigeria has failed.

Murtala Muhammed’s hands are soiled with so much blood, and even though by his death he escaped justice in the physical, he is sure getting his punishment in the spiritual realm. His entire generation of descendants shall also continue to pay one way or the other for the sins of their father.

Source: http://asaba.com/?p=352

Please wake these Neos up and show them the rabbit hole!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Breaking: Presidency Orders EFCC To Detain Fayose Indefinitely / Rare Footage Of An Industrialised Nigeria In 1960s. This Will Make U Shed Tears. / Yuguda, Abubakar, Gidado In Missing Aircraft As It Lands In Nigeria (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.