Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,801 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! (25936 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Monimatic(m): 2:21pm On May 15, 2013
ACN Condemns and Reject President Jonathan Declaration of State of Emergency

…Asks National Assembly to reject it

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has described the declaration of a state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States by President Goodluck Jonathan as lacking in original thinking, and therefore asked the National Assembly to reject it.

In a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said if the use of force was capable of ending the Boko Haram crisis, it would have ended a long time ago.

It said while the President was right in expressing outrage over the mindless killings and wanton destruction by the insurgents, he was wrong in proposing more of the same measures that have failed to yield results.

”If the medicine given to a patient has not cured his or her illness, is it not futile to prescribe more of the same medicine for the patient? If the declaration of a state of emergency in 15 local government areas in four states in 2011 has not curbed the activities of the insurgents, why extend such measure to other areas? If the use of force in the affected states have failed to curtail the activities of the insurgents, why send in more troops?

”There is nothing new in the President’s action. It is more of the same: deployment of more troops to the affected states and the use of tougher, scorched-earth tactics against the insurgents. In the first instance, this stepped-up militarization of the states amounts to an asymmetric use of force in an environment where the insurgents operate within a civilian population, hence it will ultimately be counterproductive as the death toll will continue to mount while the civilian population – who will be caught in the cross fire – will be alienated.

”Secondly, the President should go ahead and disband the committee he recently inaugurated and saddled with reaching out to the insurgents, because by opting to flood the states with more troops under an ill-advised emergency rule, he has succeeded in pulling the carpet from under the Committee’s feet. Who negotiates genuinely with a gun
to his head? The committee’s job is over, the members can as well pack up and go home.

”Thirdly, one hopes the President’s action is not linked to the politics of 2015. With the three states militarized, there can neither be electioneering campaign nor voting there. We had warned earlier that as 2015 approaches, the Jonathan Administration will increasingly take measures that will make it impossible to hold election in many states The over militarization of some states in the north, the plan to destabilise the South-west using slush funds from the so-called oil pipeline protection contract and the infantile threats from some Niger Delta militants seem to be part of this plan

”Fourthly, what happens if and when the declaration of emergency rule fails to stem the violence, now that the President has gone for broke and played his last card?

”In view of the reasons stated above, we hereby reject the declaration of emergency rule in the three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, and we call on the National Assembly to also reject it and not allow itself to be used to rubber stamp a declaration that is largely cosmetic.

”We reiterate our earlier statements that the Boko Haram crisis has its roots in years of bad governance that have produced an army of unemployed,
unemployable, disenchanted and demoralized youths who are now ready hands and willing tools for those seeking to perpetrate violence. The unprecedented corruption across the land, as well as injustice and extra-judicial killings are also fuelling this crisis,” ACN said.

The party said while the short-term solution to the Boko Haram crisis should be a combination of dialogue and a minimal use of force, the long term measure to deny Boko Haram of willing recruits and make the sect unattractive to anyone is to ensure that the State can adequately meet the yearnings and aspirations of its citizens. And the only way to do this is through good governance that delivers the dividends of democracy to the citizens; stamps out corruption and ensures a just and equitable society.

”Boko Haram is like a bad tree. To kill it, it must be uprooted, instead of trimming its branches. The measures announced by President Jonathan on Tuesday will not deliver the killer punch to this reprehensible sect. There is need to think out of the box,” it said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/emergency-rule-counterproductive-acn/

7 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by dirifred(m): 2:34pm On May 15, 2013
Can ACN keep shot? what is the problem with these political warlords? A country in crisis seek solutions. how long will innocent people be killed to create fear and make the govt appear ineffective? what is the demand of this brainwashed Boko Haramist that you think we as a nation should meet? is it not glearing enough to see this terrorism is politicaly motivated? Since ACN joined APC they have been more infected with thier religion of hate. haters just hate even for no reason

138 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by awodman: 2:42pm On May 15, 2013
Lia(er) mohammed tunder fire that your stinkin mouth...must u criticize everytin??...oh I forgot you also called the president names when the issue of flood a NATURAL DISASTER took place..its your habit sha

14 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by NeoXVI: 3:00pm On May 15, 2013
Love it or hate it, they have very valid points.

51 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by omoharry(f): 3:02pm On May 15, 2013
How can the opposition party be against the State of Emergency declared by the President.Must they politicise evrything.This shows that they are not different from thier counterpart who are self serving and selfish.They just enjoy to dance around the countrY's woes because thier opposition is in Power.If Nigeria should disintegrate because of thier self serving nature which country will they rule, can they rule a divided Nigeria.I think they are all drunk. Shame on ACN.I tot we had an opposition party that Nigerians could finally run to, not knowing that they are nothing but a snake under the green grass.Shame Shame Shame on ACN.

72 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Maxymilliano(m): 3:04pm On May 15, 2013
Monimatic:
”Thirdly, one hopes the President’s action is not linked to the politics of 2015. With the three states militarized, there can neither be electioneering campaign nor voting there. We had warned earlier that as 2015 approaches, the Jonathan Administration will increasingly take measures that will make it impossible to hold election in many states. The over militarization of some states in the north, the plan to destabilise the South-west using slush funds from the so-called oil pipeline protection contract and the infantile threats from some Niger Delta militants seem to be part of this plan

”Fourthly, what happens if and when the declaration of emergency rule fails to stem the violence, now that the President has gone for broke and played his last card?

This silly old f00l is just as predictable as they come.

7 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by genxris: 3:04pm On May 15, 2013
I guess it's only in Nigeria that being in a opposition party means to be a hater and critic of everything the government in power does even when it is good and accepted by almost all the citizens of Nigeria.
Action congress party and it's spokesman through their numerous cheap means of scoring credits for themselves has made people hate them and If I have my way right now I will use my Ak47 at close range on liar Mohammad so that he can keep his foul mouth shut for ever.

11 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by omoharry(f): 3:06pm On May 15, 2013
What is thier point.when a house is on fire the first everybody do is to get water and quench the fire after that before they can now ask what started the fire in the first place.Right people are dying and all ACN has to say is to conderm.Have they even brough out solution other than to be pessimistic about jonathan's goverment.Useless polital leaders that we have.Abeg i dey vex jo.
Neo-XVI:
Love it or hate it, they have very valid points.

53 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by fkaz(m): 3:17pm On May 15, 2013
Plateau state still remain war zone up till date, despite the state of emergency declared in 2004

6 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Demdem(m): 3:20pm On May 15, 2013
Good points Lai raised no doubt.

4 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by slimghost(m): 3:34pm On May 15, 2013
LIAR MUHAMED IS A DISGRACE TO HUMANITY. Why must these ACN bas.tards politicize every damn thing? jeeeez

18 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by passion007: 3:37pm On May 15, 2013
This ACN people self... an opposition party that opposes every policy. Cordoning off the border states still not enough for them. If BH has so far matched our security personeel, then common sense should tell us that to stand a chance at success, we have to upwardly review our security strength and staffing, but their eyes are unashamedly set on the 2015 presidency that they can't recognize a potentially successful policy anymore. Even suggesting that the President was intentionally limiting their sphere of influence in the coming elections and that government should mollycoddle terrorists--laughable! GEJ has plenty shortcomings, but should be commended when he takes a bold step--as he has just done. Being out of national affairs has turned ACN into a party of chronic whiners, nagging, desperately opposing, relentlessly making jest of themselves.

17 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by globalaid(m): 3:38pm On May 15, 2013
i am acn supporter but on this one i vehemently disagree with you. must you be against government on everything just for political sake. you must bury your head in shame for this opportunity statement. no option left other than declaring a state of emergency even obj can not tolerate BH the way Jonathan has in trying to bring them out for rehabilitation. shio

44 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by holyvirgin: 3:40pm On May 15, 2013
Once again ACN has proven to be a party Of senseless people.
I wasn't surprised though!

20 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by jamesibor: 3:44pm On May 15, 2013
Is ACN still in existence? I thought they wound down after their last convention thereby fusing into APC?

3 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by bubadaniel13: 3:44pm On May 15, 2013
Sincerely i don't know what is wrong with this ACN of a party, Lai Mohammed is always busy making noise in a factory fitted AC, while alot of people are been killed by the evil Boko Haram,must they politicize all issues,Haba let them be sensitive for ones, so they are expecting Boko Haram to over the whole north before GEJ can act.That is why i always have reservations for the party, i wonder how they will manage Nigeria if given the chance, its not all about noise, our sovereignty is threatened and you are criticizing the right action to quash it. I think Lai Mohammed and his cohorts should have themselves properly examined

12 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by IjeomaObasi: 3:48pm On May 15, 2013
bubadaniel13: Sincerely i don't know what is wrong with this ACN of a party, Lai Mohammed is always busy making noise in a factory fitted AC, while alot of people are been killed by the evil Boko Haram,must they politicize all issues,Haba let them be sensitive for ones, so they are expecting Boko Haram to over the whole north before GEJ can act.That is why i always have reservations for the party, i wonder how they will manage Nigeria if given the chance, its not all about noise, our sovereignty is threatened and you are criticizing the right action to quash it. I think Lai Mohammed and his cohorts should have themselves properly examined
Lai Mohammed has gone nuts.

3 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Nathaniel734: 3:51pm On May 15, 2013
So because the are opposition, they must oppose every thing even when it tends in the right direction...itz really a pity that pple could stl allow their political interest cloud their sensitivity..

10 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 15, 2013
"The party said while the short-term solution to the Boko Haram crisis should be a combination of dialogue and a minimal use of force"- ACN

Incredible! ACN is proposing "dialogue" and "minimal force" as the short term solution to the Boko haram insurgency? How will ACN "minimal force" fly in the face of a Boko haram that is sacking police stations, local govts, prisons, military barracks, etc, and using heavy weapons like anti-aircraft guns, RPGs, etc? How do we compel a group that has rejected dialogue to accept ACN short term dialogue?

Anyway, I hope Nigerians can see that this ACN does not mean well for the country. They'r only after selfish personal gains.

This is the same ACN that has grown in leaps and bound under the presidency of GEJ. In the history of Nigeria, the party at the centre ALWAYS had as its number one agenda DECIMATION of the opposition. From the first republic to the second, the story was the same. But under GEJ, and for the first time in the history of Nigeria, the opposition parties have been allowed to flourish and even win more states and legislative seats. But what does GEJ and his govt get in return, abuses, curses, name calling and all forms of destructive criticisms. Nigeria, behold your enemy in this Tinubu's ACN

96 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Chino48: 3:54pm On May 15, 2013
Infact I have come to the conclusion that this Lie Muhamed is a robot that is being remote control by the drug-runner tinubo and terrorist Osama Bin Muhanmadu Buhari.

The fool is quite predictable. He has no sense of reasoning, very incoherent.

4 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by cjrane: 3:59pm On May 15, 2013
If ACN continue playing silly politics while Nigeria's foundation is being threatened by terrorists,there may be no democracy for them to inherit in 2015!
Indeed,Nigeria itself may be history too. I def laf oo! grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Bolan123: 4:02pm On May 15, 2013
This ACN and co has really gone crazy with their useless opposition. I can see that their quest for power is beclouding their sense of judgement if at all they have any. Lie Mohammed and his renegate group should start looking for other methods and tactics to stop GEJ. They are beginning to sound like clowns.

6 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by iamswizz(m): 4:04pm On May 15, 2013
This clearly shows that ACN APC and co. Are the sponsors of boko haram... SMH

21 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by muredo(m): 4:05pm On May 15, 2013
dirifred: Can ACN keep shot? what is the problem with these political warlords? A country in crisis seek solutions. how long will innocent people be killed to create fear and make the govt appear ineffective? what is the demand of this brainwashed Boko Haramist that you think we as a nation should meet? is it not glearing enough to see this terrorism is politicaly motivated? Since ACN joined APC they have been more infected with thier religion of hate. haters just hate even for no reason
Gbagun,shut or shot,their or thier
Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by RedLight1: 4:06pm On May 15, 2013
this acn people should learn how to shut up sumtimes.... Must these people comdemn everything angry ...

1 Like

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Pennywise(m): 4:06pm On May 15, 2013
Lai Muhammed and the ACN represent the opposition. It is expected that the opposition will attempt to discredit the govt and create disaffection in the populace. It is for the govt to prove them wrong through purposeful and reasoned course of action. If they have to support every action of govt it means they will remain forever in opposition. It goes without saying that ACN missed the boat on this one.

Jonathan obviously has widespread support in his declaration of state of emergency albeit late. His concern now should be how effective he utilizes the instruments of state security to achieve his goal. Will he exercise diligence,wisdom and purposefulness in his effort or will it be like all things Jonathan we have known since the beginning of his tenure?

1 Like

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by adonismuller(m): 4:07pm On May 15, 2013
If Τ̲̅ђe measure aint ok wit dem den dey shld come up wit a better measure....or stop talking shit

2 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by strangest(m): 4:07pm On May 15, 2013
WTF? Just in the name of being called the opposition! Damn these dudes are real haters... How can you hate a good step... Oh I remember, you guys wants the state to be ungovernable.. Guess what?, JTF is going to wipe your ass...

3 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by Lilimax(f): 4:08pm On May 15, 2013
What else do we expect?.
They are opposition and will always oppose any move made by GEJ sad
If they hate themselves let them step their foot to those states sad.
They will regret their actions. The Commander in-chief have spoken and so be it.
Else, Ara ga-agba ndi ara full time!

3 Likes

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by greall1: 4:08pm On May 15, 2013
A C N is behind of boko boyz their leader is buhari,Tinubu don"t give boko boyz to enter south west because of wetin you go chop

1 Like

Re: ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! by oloba(m): 4:09pm On May 15, 2013
My respect for this party is gradually dying. Its becoming very obvious that this party is just a motor park association. I hate insincere people!. The president has spoken, so be it... Haters go hug transformer.

39 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Presidency Keeps Mum On Indictment Of Usani, Buhari’s Minister For Fraud / Enugu Government House Christian Chapel: New Pictures Of Progress / Prophet Moses Warns Osinbajo: "Do Not Betray Tinubu Or You Will End In Shame"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.