Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,031 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. (6020 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Buhari's Revanchist Tendencies And Ethnic Bigotry Revisited / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 17, 2013
Hello everyone.

If we are to eliminate bigots to the barest minimum and the resultant effects of their bigotry, we need to understand who a bigot is and why the words they use offend us and generally talk amicably about reducing the way such words are used. I think we'll better understand each other that way.

When we have established what pisses the majority off we'll understand better why people who insist on breaking the rules must be banned rightfully.

It's a rule on Nairaland not to tribalize threads or insult a tribe but we still see subtle shots being thrown. Tell us why you throw such shots, and why you feel offended when such is thrown at you. You'll understand your fellow better if you know what "really" offends him. This is necessary because you may be banned for an offence you think you should not be banned for and people who weren't there when the fracas transpired may be inclined to take sides.

Let's eliminate the chances of not getting a fair trial. I know what the mods have to ban people for, but I want us all to be on the same page.

NO INSULTS on this thread pls.

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by superior1: 7:06pm On May 17, 2013
Can you for a start change your fonts please, your post is proving difficult to read

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 17, 2013
LMAO

This thread is going to expose a lot people. LOL.

Alright bigots. Let's hear you.

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 17, 2013
superior1: Can you for a start change your fronts please, your post is proving difficult to read
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Geomac: 7:15pm On May 17, 2013
Good start, please do something with the font.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nnekacherry: 7:17pm On May 17, 2013
superior1: Can you for a start change your fronts please, your post is proving difficult to read

Lol..
Get used to it dear..
Or prepare to wait till eternity..
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 17, 2013
This is fu'c'king hysterics.

Was it not the same you that banned me for 3 months in the crime section ?

No wonder most posts on politics section during the period of ikena reel of ignorance.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 17, 2013
Idowuogbo: Arugbos! The font is segzy joor tongue
All of una for Romance section don follow Sexkillz enter politics section? that's fery fery good. una welecome! grin grin
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 17, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This is fu'c'king hysterics.

Was it not the same you that banned me for 3 months in the crime section ?

No wonder most posts on politics section during the period of ikena reel of ignorance.
What did I ban you for?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by joeyfire(m): 7:28pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: Hello everyone.

If we are to eliminate bigots to the barest minimum and the resultant effects of their bigotry, we need to understand who a bigot is and why the words they use offend us and generally talk amicably about reducing the way such words are used. I think we'll better understand each other that way.

When we have established what pisses the majority off we'll understand better why people who insist on breaking the rules must be banned rightfully.

It's a rule on Nairaland not to tribalize threads or insult a tribe but we still see subtle shots being thrown. Tell us why you throw such shots, and why you feel offended when such is thrown at you. You'll understand your fellow better if you know what "really" offends him. This is necessary because you may be banned for an offence you think you should not be banned for and people who weren't there when the fracas transpired may be inclined to take sides.

Let's eliminate the chances of not getting a fair trial. I know what the mods have to ban people for, but I want us all to be on the same page.

NO INSULTS on this thread pls.

I honestly believe bigotry is a form of mental illness that results in involuntary rants. Like one ragamuffin on a thread this morning. We were all hailing the efforts of the army in battling BH in their bases when the guy out of nowhere posted that all the posters were igbo and were happy that northerners would be killed in the attack among a deluge of nonsense. I was tempted to attack him with full force but gave him a light rebuttal.

If I had abused the bagger u for ban me? Make I know

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by 50calibre(m): 7:30pm On May 17, 2013
There would always be bigots, that's the fun of the whole thing. If you try to force people to say what people want to hear and not their minds or opinion, it then defeats the purpose of a forum like this where people can come and express their views. That's freedom of speech else you become a second China.

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Idowuogbo(f): 7:31pm On May 17, 2013
berem: All of una for Romance section don follow Sexkillz enter politics section? that's fery fery good. una welecome! grin grin
We going places... cool
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 17, 2013
joeyfire:

I honestly believe bigotry is a form of mental illness that results in involuntary rants. Like one ragamuffin on a thread this morning. We were all hailing the efforts of the army in battling BH in their bases when the guy out of nowhere posted that all the posters were igbo and were happy that northerners would be killed in the attack among a deluge of nonsense. I was tempted to attack him with full force but gave him a light rebuttal.

Yes. Why is because it is easier to report him and get him dealt with, than starting a fight with him (offence one), insulting him(offence 2) and derailing the thread(offence 3).

I would have banned you for one or three of those offences even though you were only reacting, for in reacting, you broke rules too.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 17, 2013
You cannot eliminate bigotry if people continue to push the divisive agenda of Biafra.

But can you really tell the ibo people to not look out for themselves? To not continue to fight to actualize a dream so many fought and died for?

At the same time, can we stop people from aking fun of the fact the supposed leader of the revolution ran away when faced with defeat?

Can you stop people from feeling resentment that they were supposedly betrayed by a man who had previously agreed to back their secession plan?

Can you stop people from becoming incensed by the elentless slaughter of their kinsmen by islamic fundamentalist or notherners?

I could go on and on -but the reality is that these squabbles on this board are not just because someone said something insultive- the bigoty you see is based in fact and reality - the feelings you see are to a large extent real,because they are rooted in tangible occurences offline.

Attempting to stop bigotry s beyond the scope of yourself and any other mod -espically in the trying times Nigeria currently finds herself.

You can ban all you want on Nairaland,but you cant ban Real lfe

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 17, 2013
50calibre: There would always be bigots, that's the fun of the whole thing. If you try to force people to say what people want to hear and not their minds or opinion, it then defeats the purpose of a forum like this where people can come and express their views. That's freedom of speech else you become a second China.
If it's fun, there won't be complaints. Freedom of speech doesn't entail saying everything that comes to your mind. Thoughtless words provoke and lead to war. He who spoke words that led to war was exercising freedom of speech, was he not?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: [color=#000030][font=tempus sans itc][size=11pt]What did I ban you for?

You mean to have banned me for 3 months ?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 17, 2013
~Bluetooth:

You mean to have banned me for 3 months ?
Yes. Why did I ban you for 3 months? What did you do?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 7:41pm On May 17, 2013
The root of all these problems is the nonchalant attitude towards Rule 19: Don't create a new account when banned for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we don't find out.

This allows the transgressors to be back here whining and fighting the Mods.

My suggestion is that, any new moniker created in violation of Rule 19 should attract an automatic 10 years ban and every post made by that new moniker should be hidden whether it broke any rules or not.

If you cannot serve your ban, don't indulge in racism and bans for main monikers should not be more than 2 weeks.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nnekacherry: 7:42pm On May 17, 2013
joeyfire:

Light rebuttal??..
You tried.. Because that guy deserved something more than a light rebuttal..
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoileee: 7:43pm On May 17, 2013
How exactly do you define bigotry?

What constitute bigotry?

Who determines what is bigotry or not ? You or the person crying to you?

Bigotry is basically what you make it, its also a reflection of your own personal sense of security and social development because nearly all the issues people cry over are known, generic and historical stuff about their tribe that they don't like and.not necessarily bigotry.

The fact is, man ppeople on NL shouldn't be on the internet talk less engaging political discussions because they lack the proper social skills and temperament to do so. Sometimes it's like you are discussing with kids.

Unlike your the mod before you, how do you apply your vague bigotry rules? By blindly banning people based on other peoples cries because they don't like a post or do you have some kind of mechanism or bigotry detection in place before taking action for or against?

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1: The root of all these problem is the nonchalant attitude towards Rule 19: Don't create a new account when banned for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we don't find out.

My suggestion is that, any new moniker created in violation of Rule 19 should attract an automatic 10 years ban and every post made by that new moniker should be hidden whether it broke any rules or not.

If you cannot serve your ban, don't indulge in racism and bans for main monikers should not be more than 2 weeks.

I see you are yet to be banned for youur threatening comment earlier.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: [color=#000030][font=tempus sans itc][size=11pt]Yes. Why did I ban you for 3 months? What did you do?

You should look into your archive maybe you will see it there cuz I can't even remember what it was you said I did but I was just wondering what kind of person bans a member for 3 months for an offence that may probably not worth more than a week ban as is the norm here.

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 17, 2013
~Bluetooth:

You should look into your archive maybe you will see it there cuz I can't even remember what it was you said I did but I was just wondering what kind of person bans a member for 3 months for an offence that may probably not worth more than a week ban as is the norm here.
When you get banned for a week, you normally shrug it off as if nothing happened and then you come back repeating the offence. I see you post those words because you think you deserve a week ban. Giving you 3 months was like a final warning.

The next will be 6 months.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by dayokanu(m): 7:49pm On May 17, 2013
As long as your ban no touch me or my OMBATSE soldiers we are cool

Or else the thing wey happen for 1972 go happen again
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:50pm On May 17, 2013
dayokanu: As long as your ban no touch me or my OMBATSE soldiers we are cool

Or else the thing wey happen for 1972 go happen again
What do you think bigotry is, and who constitutes a bigot in your opinion?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: [color=#000030][font=tempus sans itc][size=11pt]When you get banned for a week, you normally shrug it off as if nothing happened and then you come back repeating the offence. I see you post those words because you think you deserve a week ban. Giving you 3 months was like a final warning.

The next will be 6 month.

You can keep your arrogance to yourself cuz I'm not really interested.so what happens if you ban me for 6 months ? Will I die ?

You think if you ban me,it will change my opinion about the people I comment about or what ?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 7:58pm On May 17, 2013
@ sexkillz,

Any comment on this? You can forward it to Seun.

Obiagu1: The root of all these problems is the nonchalant attitude towards Rule 19: Don't create a new account when banned for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we don't find out.

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ITbomb(m): 7:59pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: If it's fun, there won't be complaints. Freedom of speech doesn't entail saying everything that comes to your mind. Thoughtless words provoke and lead to war. He who spoke words that led to war was exercising freedom of speech, was he not?
Still on the deployment of troops to the north, a poster said if the JTF could not push the fishermen into the ocean then they stand no chance against the warriors in the north.
With full respect to the fishermen, I dont think the appellation should be used to describe an ethnic group.
And posters with words like Retardeen,clueless,odechukwu in regards to the President should be dealt with or they would be answered in a more abusing manner.
BTW, pls do something about that font, it is too girlish for the more serious politics section
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1: @ sexkillz,

Any comment on this? You can forward it to Seun.

Ban on main accounts get to 3 months depending on how frequent the offender repeats the offence. And yes, we have zero tolerance for alternate accounts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Picture Of Gen Buhari During The Civil War / Top 10 Facts About The South East Nigeria. / Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60