Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,940 members, 7,841,608 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. (6038 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Buhari's Revanchist Tendencies And Ethnic Bigotry Revisited / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 17, 2013
Sexkillz, can you tell me 3 ways of eliminating Bigotry on nairaland? I really wanna know.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 17, 2013
ITbomb:
Still on the deployment of troops to the north, a poster said if the JTF could not push the fishermen into the ocean then they stand no chance against the warriors in the north.
With full respect to the fishermen, I dont think the appellation should be used to describe an ethnic group.
And posters with words like Retardeen,clueless,odechukwu in regards to the President should be dealt with or they would be answered in a more abusing manner.
BTW, pls do something about that font, it is too girlish for the more serious politics section
Noted.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by eggheaders(m): 8:04pm On May 17, 2013
---

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 8:04pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: Ban on main accounts get to 3 months depending on how frequent the offender repeats the offence. And yes, we have zero tolerance for alternate accounts.

3 months ban for main accounts could be too long in my opinion. It might tempt offenders to create new accounts.
For alternate accounts, they should be banished as long as possible so they can never resurface again.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by eggheaders(m): 8:06pm On May 17, 2013
---
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 17, 2013
berem: Sexkillz, can you tell me 3 ways of eliminating Bigotry on nairaland? I really wanna know.
If I tell you the ways, I'll have to close this thread and ban defaulters according to my way. I don't want that, That is why I created the thread. I want people like you who have been accused of being bigots to tell us why you use such words on people, and why you feel you should continue using it even though you know it offends them.

2 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by OurYansh: 8:07pm On May 17, 2013
Afam came, he failed....... He's still a Mod!!

Ikenna came, failed woefully...... He ran away!!!

Sexkid has come, and like the other IBOs before you, you shall fail.

You shall fail not because I wish you to fail, but because you don't even TRULY understand that which you seek to solve. You cannot even define bigotry, tell me how you'll solve it. This isn't romance or crime section where intellectually fickle folks gather, this is a section where the brightest, smartest, boldest as well as the most sly of forumites gather.

I'd suggest you allow OAM419 school you on the ways of this section. Fighting something you cannot even define in clear terms shows you're headed for a resounding failure in your mission. Once more I'll tell you with all boldness that YOU SHALL FAIL.

Best Regards..

Senator Our Yansh
(SSCE)

P.S. I'll be ur greatest fan if you bring back the monthly debates that have been in COMA since the exit of Jarus....

9 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 17, 2013
Our Yansh: Afam came, he failed....... He's still a Mod!!

Ikenna came, failed woefully...... He ran away!!!

Sexkid has come, and like the other IBOs before you, you shall fail.

You shall fail not because I wish you to fail, but because you don't even TRULY understand that which you seek to solve. You cannot even define bigotry, tell me how you'll solve it. This isn't romance or crime section where intellectually fickle folks gather, this is a section where the brightest, smartest, boldest as well as the most sly of forumites gather.

I'd suggest you allow OAM419 school you on the ways of this section. Fighting something you cannot even define in clear terms shows you're headed for a resounding failure in your mission. Once more I'll tell you with all boldness that YOU SHALL FAIL.

Best Regards..

Senator Our Yansh
(SSCE)

P.S. I'll be ur greatest fan if you bring back the monthly debates that have been in COMA since the exit of Jarus....
If you think I don't know what I'm doing by creating this thread, then you are mistaken. I'm creating a level ground for fair treatment. My definition of bigots and bigotry differs from yours and the next person. But once we are on the same plane as to what should, and should not be, then our ministry will progress.

So tell us what offends you when you read it.

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by OsunOriginal: 8:13pm On May 17, 2013
Ibos should define bigotry... I want to see if they understand the meaning of this word first and are ready to stay away from it.

..."If we are to abolish capital punishment, let the murderers take the first step"

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by 50calibre(m): 8:13pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: If it's fun, there won't be complaints. Freedom of speech doesn't entail saying everything that comes to your mind. Thoughtless words provoke and lead to war. He who spoke words that led to war was exercising freedom of speech, was he not?

What you call bigotry is a true reflection of the deep division in Nigeria except you are saying people should be all sweet and act like all is well when it clearly isn't.

Word of mouth is the only tool a common man has in expressing himself, take it away and he might as well be in bondage. If for fear of war people should not speak their minds, then what do you have to say to the Syrians, the Egyptians, the Jordanians etc.

Nigeria has come a long way from the time of press oppression during the military days to where it is today. People have given their lives in the struggle for free press and I think it should be respected.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1:

3 months ban for main accounts could be too long in my opinion. It might tempt offenders to create new accounts.
For alternate accounts, they should be banished as long as possible so they can never resurface again.
First time offenders get 2 days. 2nd - 4 days, 3rd - 8 days till it gets to 3 months. That is the policy, not mine.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 17, 2013
50calibre:

What you call bigotry is a true reflection of the deep division in Nigeria except you are saying people should be all sweet and act like all is well when it clearly isn't.

Word of mouth is the only tool a common man has in expressing himself, take it away and he might as well be in bondage. If for fear of war people should speak their minds, then what do you have to say to the Syrians, the Egyptians, the Jordanians etc.

Nigeria has come a long way from the time of press oppression during the military days to where it is today. People have given their lives in the struggle for free press and I think it should be respected.
I asked you a question you carefully danced around. Does freedom of speech entail insults and thoughtless words because you feel you need to speak your mind? Offending the next person because you feel like?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by 50calibre(m): 8:16pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: First time offenders get 2 days. 2nd - 4 days, 3rd - 8 days till it gets to 3 months. That is the policy, not mine.

But one guy named Mukina2 gave me 6 day ban the first time not just from one section, but the whole on NL. He said I was a tribal troll.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 17, 2013
50calibre:

But one guy named Mukina2 gave me 6 day ban the first time not just from one section, but the whole on NL. He said I was a tribal troll.
That's because your ban log shows you are banned frequently from other sections. So if mukina checks your ban log and sees that your last ban was for 3 days, she'll place you on a 6 day ban.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by 50calibre(m): 8:19pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: I asked you a question you carefully danced around. Does freedom of speech entail insults and thoughtless words because you feel you need to speak your mind? Offending the next person because you feel like?

Yes it does! Isn't it obvious? Look at Muslims, they carry flags and placard protesting, chanting death to Israel, death to America. Do you see America coming to punish them
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: If I tell you the ways, I'll have to close this thread and ban defaulters according to my way. I don't want that, That is why I created the thread. I want people like you who have been accused of being bigots to tell us why you use such words on people, and why you feel you should continue using it even though you know it offends them.

well i guess the thread isn't meant for people like me.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by 50calibre(m): 8:20pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: That's because your ban log shows you are banned frequently from other sections. So if mukina checks your ban log and sees that your last ban was for 3 days, she'll place you on a 6 day ban.

Oh she is a woman.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoileee: 8:21pm On May 17, 2013
ITbomb:
Still on the deployment of troops to the north, a poster said if the JTF could not push the fishermen into the ocean then they stand no chance against the warriors in the north.
With full respect to the fishermen, I dont think the appellation should be used to describe an ethnic group.
And posters with words like Retardeen,clueless,odechukwu in regards to the President should be dealt with or they would be answered in a more abusing manner.
BTW, pls do something about that font, it is too girlish for the more serious politics section

I actually laughed at this... This is the most.ridiculous and absurd nonsense ever. You people are.really getting carried away with this silliness..

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 17, 2013
[size=13pt]It's funny that the section where members keep boasting of the smartest, brightest, and boldest is also the section that's the most problematic.

Please be humble and think of ways as to how this bright section could use some improvement. It's the reason why many have fled, including myself.

Sexkillz, as far as I'm concerned, anyone that has to resort to insults and ethnic slurs to hurt someone or drive a point home clearly isn't that bright. One should be able to hold a respectful discussion or debate without resulting to abuses and derision.

For me, it's hard to define bigotry. I've gotten my own fair share here but I can't define it as it comes in various forms and can even depend on context. The things that have offended me most are condescending attitudes because of my gender and age, being called a non-Igbo, other forms of ridicule due to my opinions, etc. I don't know if that helps. Maybe members who frequent this area often can come up with definitive things to look out for. However, I think you and the rest of the mods in this section should be explicit with details when giving reasons for banning. That eliminates confusion.

Also, it is imperative that members use the "Report to Moderator" button, rather than retaliate or join in with insults. Moderating this section would be easier with more cooperation from members.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 8:28pm On May 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 17, 2013
50calibre:

Yes it does! Isn't it obvious? Look at Muslims, they carry flags and placard protesting, chanting death to Israel, death to America. Do you see America coming to punish them
What has Muslims protesting in Israel and America have to do with insulting members on nairaland?

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoileee: 8:30pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: If I tell you the ways, I'll have to close this thread and ban defaulters according to my way. I don't want that, That is why I created the thread. I want people like you who have been accused of being bigots to tell us why you use such words on people, and why you feel you should continue using it even though you know it offends them.

What words are you talking about? Don't you have to tell people the so called words you don't like or want them to stop using?

You've been asked a million times what bigotry is and you are yet to articulate any meaningful response, buy you are still here going on and on about some vague and phantom words that you yourself can not even list.

This is just too tragic...
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 17, 2013
berem: well i guess the thread isn't meant for people like me.
In that case, when you are banned for a comment offensive to others, you'll take it knowing you were wrong.

Thanks for clarifying.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by malc619(m): 8:32pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: First time offenders get 2 days. 2nd - 4 days, 3rd - 8 days till it gets to 3 months. That is the policy, not mine.

That's the law, but ur own law is a far cry from that. My 1st ban from you was 3 months....

Pls don't tell another lie cos I'm watching you...

NB. I'm still serving the ban in question.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 17, 2013
eko ileee:

What words are you talking about? Don't you have to tell people the so called words you don't like or want them to stop using?

You've been asked a million times what bigotry is and you are yet to articulate any meaningful response, buy you are still here going on and on about some vague and phantom words that you yourself can not even list.

This is just too tragic...
We'll find out how tragic it is when I ban you for being a bigot by my own terms and you complain.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 8:35pm On May 17, 2013

Ok, that's good. How long is a ban for alternate accounts because alternate accounts and their ability to still air their views is the main problem here?

It's the little things we neglect that cause big problems.

Pareto principle says that we should eliminate 20% of issues that cause 80% of the problems.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1:

Ok, that's good. How long is a ban for alternate accounts because alternate accounts and their ability to still air their views is the main problem here?

It's the little things we neglect that cause big problems.

Pareto principle says that we should eliminate 20% of issues that cause 80% of the problems.
A ban for an alternate account is much longer than the one on the main account. E.g, a 2 day ban on the main acct will mean 2 weeks on alternate accts.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 17, 2013
malc619:

That's the law, but ur own law is a far cry from that. My 1st ban from you was 3 months....

Pls don't tell another lie cos I'm watching you...

NB. I'm still serving the ban in question.
Spambot did the first and second, I did the third. Can you remind me why I banned you?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 8:38pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: A ban for an alternate account is much longer than the one on the main account. E.g, a 2 day ban on the main acct will mean 2 weeks on alternate accts.

We are here to make suggestions, right?
From my analysis of the problems we face here, alternate accounts are the main issue.
They should be banished as long as possible never to resurface again because they shouldn't exist in the first place and hiding the posts made by those alternate accounts is part of it. Mere 2 weeks is a joke.

You might neglect this as trivial but it is the root cause of the problem.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1:

We are here to make suggestions, right?
From my analysis of the problems we face here, alternate accounts are the main issue.
They should be banished as long as possible never to resurface again because they shouldn't exist in the first place and hiding the posts made by that alternate accounts is part of it. Mere 2 weeks is a joke.

You might neglect this as trivial but it is the root cause of the problem.
Noted.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by 50calibre(m): 8:51pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: What has Muslims protesting in Israel and America have to do with insulting members on nairaland?

I'm not talking of insulting anyone, that I don't agree with. What I'm saying is expressing one's views or opinion toward any subject without being banned.

Example - everyone on this site is being forced to like Islam why? Should people be expected to say something nice about Islam when the reality suggests otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by YorubaNegro: 8:53pm On May 17, 2013
jackbauersballs: You cannot eliminate bigotry if people continue to push the divisive agenda of Biafra.

But can you really tell the ibo people to not look out for themselves? To not continue to fight to actualize a dream so many fought and died for?

At the same time, can we stop people from aking fun of the fact the supposed leader of the revolution ran away when faced with defeat?

Can you stop people from feeling resentment that they were supposedly betrayed by a man who had previously agreed to back their secession plan?

Can you stop people from becoming incensed by the elentless slaughter of their kinsmen by islamic fundamentalist or notherners?

I could go on and on -but the reality is that these squabbles on this board are not just because someone said something insultive- the bigoty you see is based in fact and reality - the feelings you see are to a large extent real,because they are rooted in tangible occurences offline.

Attempting to stop bigotry s beyond the scope of yourself and any other mod -espically in the trying times Nigeria currently finds herself.

You can ban all you want on Nairaland,but you cant ban Real lfe

You have Negro's support.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JUST IN! 4 Dead As Political Thugs Clash At Isale Eko On Lagos Island / I Have Never Seen A Muslim Who Supports Jonathans Re-election. / Declaration Of Public Holiday In Port Harcourt Today And Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.