Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,915 members, 7,838,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. (6034 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Buhari's Revanchist Tendencies And Ethnic Bigotry Revisited / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 17, 2013
50calibre:

I'm not talking of insulting anyone, that I don't agree with. What I'm saying is expressing one's views or opinion toward any subject without being banned.

Example - everyone on this site is being forced to like Islam why? Should people be expected to say something nice about Islam when the reality suggests otherwise?
well, you can try other sites. Nairaland doesn't tolerate insults.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoilee: 8:55pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: We'll find out how tragic it is when I ban you for being a bigot by my own terms and you complain.

In any same society and gatherings where people are expected to obey rules, the rules are stated and made known to the people and this is not only done to make sure people understand the rules and abide, but also to make the enforcers job easy.

The fact that you are still dodging and won't state the so called words are didn't surprise me because not only that you personally don't know, your boss himself don't know .

It is e even more tragic that people take jobs with no stated and defined parameters, no job description or guidelines .

Don't you feel funny saying you'll ban people for what you in a leadership position failed to tell them constitute an offense? Haven't you failed already? Smh.......
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 9:00pm On May 17, 2013
^^^

One of such words is Ibo. So stay clear from it.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by malc619(m): 9:04pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: Spambot did the first and second, I did the third. Can you remind me why I banned you?

Let's not derail this thread.

What's ur plan??

What are you gonna do differently from the two mods before you??

cool
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoilee: 9:12pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1: ^^^

Not according to the owner of nairaland and you need to quit spreading false info....
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Obiagu1(m): 9:21pm On May 17, 2013
sexkillz: Noted.

Now you can implement it for just 4 weeks and see the effect. After ask Seun to pay me for my advice for solving his problem for him.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by FindOut(m): 10:08pm On May 17, 2013
Hmmm.... Alright.

First of all, I miss Ikenna here. Dude meant well, was doing well & could have done a lot better if allowed to continue. Evensome of those who were banned by him began to admire him. He had very good intentions, and was clear on what he intended to do which of course involved the use of force, but without being arrogant, however subtly, about it.

Sexkillz welcome. i wish you the best of luck. The romance section is not the politics section even though both are sections on on this same nairaland. I hope your planned style of 'modship' will indicate that you have this at the back of your mind.

i could come up with an essay expresing my views on what tribalism is about and why the war on tribalism appears to be akin to the war against corruption in Nigeria but I'll skip that coz i want to sleep and just put down some of my thots on tribalism and this topic.

There is freedom of speech. Nairaland allows this.
There is attack on tribes and personalities. Not allowed.

EVERYBODY should be able to express his views on Ojukwu or Awolowo or Achebe or Obasanjo WITHOUT being insultive. Nairaland is a microcosm of Nigeria and no matter how popular/notorious a national figure is, he/she will surely have his or her own antagonists/supporters who are nairalanders.

I support that our national figures should not be insulted but i also support that anybody should be free to say anything, good or bad AS LONG AS IT IS TRUE about them. we are all here to review our past, analyse the present and chart a course for the future.

I support that these figures should not be called names like coward, mol.e.ster e.t.c. as i believe that actually irks lots of people and has contributed a lot to the tribalism cancer in nairaland today.

I support that those who have a penchant for turning just about any thread to yoruba versus igbo/hausa be warned and banned if they refuse to desist.

But,

Moderators, including our new one, Sexkillz, Please ban RESPONSIBLY and not indiscriminately. The essence of punishment is to make the recipient realise his mistake. The response some mods give when members question their ban totally negates this. I personally detest arrogance, it pisses me off even when such arrogance isn't directed at my person. When laws are broken, due process must be followed and appropriate punishment given and even when appropriate punishment is given, it must not smack of highhandedness and arrogance. doing otherwise or trying to show 'who's boss' usuay makes the defaulter more recalcitrant. And we are dealing with adults here, of varying intelligence levels which i must admit must make the job of moderating more difficult. But, i think its better to handle an offence properly the first time, rather than having to deal with it continually.

In essence, I recommend a carrot and stick approach for handling the tribalism menace. In short, a great deal of MATURITY is expected from the moderators and of course we the members if this section is to rbe made pleasant for us all. Some people say the politics section will be dull and dead without tribalism. I disagree. but i will say that care must be taken while fighting this tribalism and bigotry so that the politics section does not indeed end up dull and uninspiring.

This may not be the right place to say it but i also join others to request that the monthly debates be brought back and i strongly recommend that a topic relating to 'tribalism and bigotry on social media in Nigeria' be discussed.

To the die-hard tribalists, u know yourselves, please sheathe your swords and stop venting your frustrations on others online. (Some of) you can & do make better contributions than the expressly meaningless tribal slurs you churn out with so much hate. Relax, life's not that hard.

To the jocular tribalists, abeg, make una dey much more subtle without necessarily being insultive. The nigerian political terrain is a comedy in itself so there are already lots of things to make us cry and laugh at d same time.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by RedLight1: 12:08am On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: well, you can try other sites. Nairaland doesn't tolerate insults.
and it will also be so nice if you can appeal to seun to give us the ability to deactivate our accounts you know?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by tpia5: 12:21am On May 18, 2013
you'll be posting in politics section with that font?

anyway, lets know who you're supporting first, might not necessarily be a bad thing.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by yomexp(m): 12:25am On May 18, 2013
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by yomexp(m): 12:26am On May 18, 2013

and another is "BIAFRA". so stay clear from it.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 12:52am On May 18, 2013
eko ilee:

In any same society and gatherings where people are expected to obey rules, the rules are stated and made known to the people and this is not only done to make sure people understand the rules and abide, but also to make the enforcers job easy.

The fact that you are still dodging and won't state the so called words are didn't surprise me because not only that you personally don't know, your boss himself don't know .

It is e even more tragic that people take jobs with no stated and defined parameters, no job description or guidelines .

Don't you feel funny saying you'll ban people for what you in a leadership position failed to tell them constitute an offense? Haven't you failed already? Smh.......

Stop tripping and let the guy do whatever he likes.what's the point arguing with someone who came here with a biafran agenda ? Kosovo wasn't a yoruba but he remains the best mod in this section till date followed by jarus.Every other persons do not have anything to offer other than whine about ban as if it solves the real problems that inspired the tribal comment.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 12:57am On May 18, 2013
jackbauersballs: You cannot eliminate bigotry if people continue to push the divisive agenda of Biafra.

But can you really tell the ibo people to not look out for themselves? To not continue to fight to actualize a dream so many fought and died for?

At the same time, can we stop people from aking fun of the fact the supposed leader of the revolution ran away when faced with defeat?

Can you stop people from feeling resentment that they were supposedly betrayed by a man who had previously agreed to back their secession plan?

Can you stop people from becoming incensed by the elentless slaughter of their kinsmen by islamic fundamentalist or notherners?

I could go on and on -but the reality is that these squabbles on this board are not just because someone said something insultive- the bigoty you see is based in fact and reality - the feelings you see are to a large extent real,because they are rooted in tangible occurences offline.

Attempting to stop bigotry s beyond the scope of yourself and any other mod -espically in the trying times Nigeria currently finds herself.

You can ban all you want on Nairaland,but you cant ban Real lfe

Makes a lot of sense sha, but there's got to be decorum at least to some an extent
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 12:58am On May 18, 2013
Obiagu1: The root of all these problems is the nonchalant attitude towards Rule 19: Don't create a new account when banned for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we don't find out.

This allows the transgressors to be back here whining and fighting the Mods.

My suggestion is that, any new moniker created in violation of Rule 19 should attract an automatic 10 years ban and every post made by that new moniker should be hidden whether it broke any rules or not.

If you cannot serve your ban, don't indulge in racism and bans for main monikers should not be more than 2 weeks.

I concur
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Demdem(m): 2:42am On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: Noted.

Don't mind that joke. How does retardeen constitute bigotry? Was it not on this forum we named Obj gorrilla? Yaradua nko? Baba go slow. Now that its the turn of the kai kai infected brain from otuokpe, some are already crying. Abegi, this has nothing to do with bigotry at all.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Demdem(m): 2:53am On May 18, 2013

And what is wrong with ibo? Ibo, heebo, yaribaa, Aboki and their likes are good to go. We have discussed this extensively. So many ibo boys are even proud to be such.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by saintneo(m): 6:13am On May 18, 2013
I talk am. This robot don come here now. Na soso ban an go full my head. Goodbye nairaland.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 6:29am On May 18, 2013
Demdem:

And what is wrong with ibo? Ibo, heebo, yaribaa, Aboki and their likes are good to go. We have discussed this extensively. So many ibo boys are even proud to be such.
While you may be right, remember that in aiming to be at peace with everyone, you "deliberately" do not hurt them. If saying "ibo" annoys him, look for an alternative. He'll be more inclined to see the point you are making.

I'm not saying that the word "ibo" is wrong but put your self in his shoes and try understanding him better.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 6:32am On May 18, 2013
Demdem:

Don't mind that joke. How does retardeen constitute bigotry? Was it not on this forum we named Obj gorrilla? Yaradua nko? Baba go slow. Now that its the turn of the kai kai infected brain from otuokpe, some are already crying. Abegi, this has nothing to do with bigotry at all.
What we are trying to stop emanated from the past. You'll agree with me that for us to move forward, we'll have to leave the baggages from the past behind.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 6:37am On May 18, 2013
Red-Light:
and it will also be so nice if you can appeal to seun to give us the ability to deactivate our accounts you know?
That ability rests squarely on your shoulders. I'll use myself as an example. If I don't like to come to nairaland for a month, I will not log in. Seun doesn't force me to log in. I choose to do so myself. If I stop logging in, I can count myself "deactivated".

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by shizzle11(m): 7:58am On May 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Stop tripping and let the guy do whatever he likes.what's the point arguing with someone who came here with a biafran agenda ?

@bolded, a statement typical of a bigot who's so vexed that he is asked to cut down on his senseless bigotry

~Bluetooth:

as if it solves the real problems that inspired the tribal comment.

Really? I guess your barrage of tribal remarks and bigoted insults in the past have solved them
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by shizzle11(m): 8:07am On May 18, 2013
Some people have being programmed from birth with a stereotype albeit erratic mindset against persons of other ethnicity for reasons best known to them. Insults is in their veins, and like blood, they need it to survive, like their lives depends on it.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 8:31am On May 18, 2013
Find Out!:
Hmmm.... Alright.

First of all, I miss Ikenna here. Dude meant well, was doing well & could have done a lot better if allowed to continue. Evensome of those who were banned by him began to admire him. He had very good intentions, and was clear on what he intended to do which of course involved the use of force, but without being arrogant, however subtly, about it.

Sexkillz welcome. i wish you the best of luck. The romance section is not the politics section even though both are sections on on this same nairaland. I hope your planned style of 'modship' will indicate that you have this at the back of your mind.

i could come up with an essay expresing my views on what tribalism is about and why the war on tribalism appears to be akin to the war against corruption in Nigeria but I'll skip that coz i want to sleep and just put down some of my thots on tribalism and this topic.

There is freedom of speech. Nairaland allows this.
There is attack on tribes and personalities. Not allowed.

EVERYBODY should be able to express his views on Ojukwu or Awolowo or Achebe or Obasanjo WITHOUT being insultive. Nairaland is a microcosm of Nigeria and no matter how popular/notorious a national figure is, he/she will surely have his or her own antagonists/supporters who are nairalanders.

I support that our national figures should not be insulted but i also support that anybody should be free to say anything, good or bad AS LONG AS IT IS TRUE about them. we are all here to review our past, analyse the present and chart a course for the future.

I support that these figures should not be called names like coward, mol.e.ster e.t.c. as i believe that actually irks lots of people and has contributed a lot to the tribalism cancer in nairaland today.

I support that those who have a penchant for turning just about any thread to yoruba versus igbo/hausa be warned and banned if they refuse to desist.

But,

Moderators, including our new one, Sexkillz, Please ban RESPONSIBLY and not indiscriminately. The essence of punishment is to make the recipient realise his mistake. The response some mods give when members question their ban totally negates this. I personally detest arrogance, it pisses me off even when such arrogance isn't directed at my person. When laws are broken, due process must be followed and appropriate punishment given and even when appropriate punishment is given, it must not smack of highhandedness and arrogance. doing otherwise or trying to show 'who's boss' usuay makes the defaulter more recalcitrant. And we are dealing with adults here, of varying intelligence levels which i must admit must make the job of moderating more difficult. But, i think its better to handle an offence properly the first time, rather than having to deal with it continually.

In essence, I recommend a carrot and stick approach for handling the tribalism menace. In short, a great deal of MATURITY is expected from the moderators and of course we the members if this section is to rbe made pleasant for us all. Some people say the politics section will be dull and dead without tribalism. I disagree. but i will say that care must be taken while fighting this tribalism and bigotry so that the politics section does not indeed end up dull and uninspiring.

This may not be the right place to say it but i also join others to request that the monthly debates be brought back and i strongly recommend that a topic relating to 'tribalism and bigotry on social media in Nigeria' be discussed.

To the die-hard tribalists, u know yourselves, please sheathe your swords and stop venting your frustrations on others online. (Some of) you can & do make better contributions than the expressly meaningless tribal slurs you churn out with so much hate. Relax, life's not that hard.

To the jocular tribalists, abeg, make una dey much more subtle without necessarily being insultive. The nigerian political terrain is a comedy in itself so there are already lots of things to make us cry and laugh at d same time.

Wow!!!... May God bless your parents for bringing your type into this world

Absolutely spot on!! . . . Flawless!!!
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by slimghost(m): 9:07am On May 18, 2013
Am not sure I can use my own definition of a bigot now but Mr MOD,I will tell you some of the things that piss me off and get me retaliating.
1. Being referred to as "IBO" . Dude am IGBO and not IBO.
2. When someone leaves the topic and starts attacking my tribe.
3. When GEJ is called a "retardeen","odechukwu" or a drunken fisherman. Let's not forget that he is somebody's father and from a particular tribe.
4. Being called an "Nyamiri". I really don't care abt this as long as am allowed to return the favor.

Am coming back for more
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 9:19am On May 18, 2013
slimghost: Am not sure I can use my own definition of a bigot now but Mr MOD,I will tell you some of the things that piss me off and get me retaliating.
1. Being referred to as "IBO" . Dude am IGBO and not IBO.
2. When someone leaves the topic and starts attacking my tribe.
3. When GEJ is called a "retardeen","odechukwu" or a drunken fisherman. Let's not forget that he is somebody's father and from a particular tribe.
4. Being called an "Nyamiri". I really don't care abt this as long as am allowed to return the favor.

Am coming back for more
You are communicating.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Bobandgreat: 9:43am On May 18, 2013
[/color]
sexkillz: [color=#000030]Ban on main accounts get to 3 months depending on how frequent the offender repeats the offence. And yes, we have zero tolerance for alternate accounts.

If this is so, then why do I see eko ile, eko ilee, eko ileee, afam4evaisaslut, posting comfortably on this section.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 9:46am On May 18, 2013
Bobandgreat: ]

If this is so, then why do I see eko ile, eko ilee, eko ileee, afam4evaisaslut, posting comfortably on this section.
I didn't place a ban on those accounts, but I assure you that henceforth, any banned ID won't return with an alternate acct and perambulate freely.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 10:56am On May 18, 2013
@sexkillz
I see a lot "kill them all" statements on this section, I feel it is absolutely disgraceful, something should be done about this, it could be replaced with "deal with them"
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Demdem(m): 11:20am On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: While you may be right, remember that in aiming to be at peace with everyone, you "deliberately" do not hurt them. If saying "ibo" annoys him, look for an alternative. He'll be more inclined to see the point you are making.

I'm not saying that the word "ibo" is wrong but put your self in his shoes and try understanding him better.

The bottom line is I am right. We have over a million members, how will I know the thousands that don't mind and those that do? Besides, if the post is directed at no one perse, why should such take an offence in that.
If its right, it is. There is no two way around it again.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Malawian(m): 11:51am On May 18, 2013
instead of banning and hide posts incessantly, why dont you highlight the said offensive post and exclude the moniker from further participation on the said thread?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Is Back Without His Certificate / We Want War Not Referendum Nnamdi Kanu VIDEO / Unbelievable: Buhari's Presidential Aircraft Packed In London Has Consumed N80m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.