Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,985 members, 7,841,758 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. (6039 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Buhari's Revanchist Tendencies And Ethnic Bigotry Revisited / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Malawian(m): 11:55am On May 18, 2013
once again, i say there is no point in banning anyone. you dont even know who is behind the moniker. if 1 were to open a new moniker and claim to be DK or Queen bigot "ojare", will you then ban the same innocent monikers? can you tell me what i look like?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by DerideGull(m): 12:17pm On May 18, 2013
Malawian: once again, i say there is no point in banning anyone. you dont even know who is behind the moniker. if 1 were to open a new moniker and claim to be DK or Queen bigot "ojare", will you then ban the same innocent monikers? can you tell me what i look like?

I have once written nairaland is a replica of the cesspit called Nigeria. Everything done in Nigeria has no logical reasons. It is all about ban, ban and ban. Most policies out of Nigeria are as a result of vendetta or personal vexation. Believe it or not, Nigeria is home of tribalism and there is nothing anybody could do about it until inhabitants of the geographical expression embrace disintegration.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by collynzo2(m): 1:33pm On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: That ability rests squarely on your shoulders. I'll use myself as an example. If I don't like to come to nairaland for a month, I will not log in. Seun doesn't force me to log in. I choose to do so myself. If I stop logging in, I can count myself "deactivated".
Butt your account remians and is used for statistical purposes. Bring on the deactivate button let's see how many of the 1million nairaland members will remain
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by nuclearboy(m): 2:29pm On May 18, 2013
Everyone has their own idea of what bigotry is and each ought be respected.

However, a LIVING POLITICAL FIGURE asked for it when he came out to enter the public eye.

I dare anybody to show where I have ever used derogatory words to describe Jonathan, Buhari, Ojukwu, Tinubu or Ribadu (examples of public figures). Yet I see NO reason to exclude any or all of them from public ridicule because they are somebody's father or sit in a chair! THEY ASKED FOR IT and if Obama is being called the Anti-Christ by some of his people, anyone that goes into the public realm cannot expect to be shielded. Else got back to your village and become a traditional chief nobody knows. The names Tinubu, buharam, retardeen etc are symptoms of sticking your head out to become a leader - Mandela went to prison simply because he refused to sit in his father's house!

Interestingly, I just learnt there is a difference between Igbo and Ibo very recently on NL - I apologize for any past usage of the word.

The only way the tribal thing can be solved is banning every single use or insinuation of these things. Even then, there are many ways to give injury. A good example is the thread where someone said the eastern budget had surpassed the federations budget. It was not only false but also very insulting to anyone from anywhere outside the east. When a rebuttal came, it became war. Yet who started it?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by dayokanu(m): 3:03pm On May 18, 2013
slimghost:
2. When someone leaves the topic and starts attacking my tribe.
3. When GEJ is called a "retardeen","odechukwu" or a drunken fisherman. Let's not forget that he is somebody's father and from a particular tribe.

Am coming back for more

GEJ is a public figure and is open to attack. Tinubu is called Tinubu and Ojuyobo regularly, No one complains about it, Buhari is called all sort of names no one complains, Yar Adua is called Yar A dull, Baba Go slow etc no one complains

So why should we take exception when its GEJs turn are the others not someone father or are they tribeless?

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 18, 2013
As usual...we will go round and round in circles without any consensus and after like 25 pages ...this thread will die without any meaningful thing out of it. We've seen this before.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 18, 2013
dayokanu:

GEJ is a public figure and is open to attack. Tinubu is called Tinubu and Ojuyobo regularly, No one complains about it, Buhari is called all sort of names no one complains, Yar Adua is called Yar A dull, Baba Go slow etc no one complains

So why should we take exception when its GEJs turn are the others not someone father or are they tribeless?
We want to eliminate such insults henceforth. The sitting president will not be there forever and we can spare the next one future insults by stopping now. We can all agree that insulting the president fans the flames of bigotry.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by nuclearboy(m): 3:30pm On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: We want to eliminate such insults henceforth. The sitting president will not be there forever and we can spare the next one future insults by stopping now. We can all agree that insulting the president fans the flames of bigotry.

If you guarantee Buhari will NOT be insulted henceforth, fine! Because while I won't retort no matter what, it is senseless to eliminate just one person. But then, what of when such as Dokubo calls Tam David-West a bastard, would you see him as fair game for such as me who respects the Professor?

Or as inn my earlier example, when someone says everyone is afraid of his tribe because they are "better"? Do you realise words like "better" are ONLY used in comparison? If a Mercedes is better than a BMW, it means the BMW is "worse". So, BMW then starts to state its own POV and why u "may" be better in this but it is better in that. So its motive - you HAVE to do something about those who start off these things and then weep and gnash teeth when the other side retorts, WHETHER they are Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa/Fulani.

Dude, you have your work cut out for you! However, public figures? I don't see how they can avoid ridicule

MODIFIED: Insulting Buhari or Tinubu ALSO fans bigotry - Please remain fair and balanced!
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by dayokanu(m): 3:38pm On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: We want to eliminate such insults henceforth. The sitting president will not be there forever and we can spare the next one future insults by stopping now. We can all agree that insulting the president fans the flames of bigotry.

Tinubu is also the sitting leader of the opposition,

Buhari is also a presidential Candidate

Obasanjo was a 2 time President and should also be respected

Fashola is a sitting Governor, Same as Aregberascal (As some people call him)

If you are a public figure there is no way you can avoid it.

Obama gets called names on a daily basis

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by alaoeri: 3:39pm On May 18, 2013
Hope sexkillz won't be like ikenna that banned me for a week for the word ABOKI because i don't know when Aboki turns to slur, its better now he's send back to where he belong.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by eggheaders(m): 3:40pm On May 18, 2013
back bigger and better.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by eggheaders(m): 3:40pm On May 18, 2013
dayokanu:

Oga dem dey match your comrade for face.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by dayokanu(m): 3:43pm On May 18, 2013
eggheaders:

Oga dem dey match your comrade for face.

Na IGG.

Farabale make storm settle first.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 18, 2013
nuclearboy:

If you guarantee Buhari will NOT be insulted henceforth, fine! Because while I won't retort no matter what, it is senseless to eliminate just one person. But then, what of when such as Dokubo calls Tam David-West a bastard, would you see him as fair game for such as me who respects the Professor?

Or as inn my earlier example, when someone says everyone is afraid of his tribe because they are "better"? Do you realise words like "better" are ONLY used in comparison? If a Mercedes is better than a BMW, it means the BMW is "worse". So, BMW then starts to state its own POV and why u "may" be better in this but it is better in that. So its motive - you HAVE to do something about those who start off these things and then weep and gnash teeth when the other side retorts, WHETHER they are Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa/Fulani.

Dude, you have your work cut out for you! However, public figures? I don't see how they can avoid ridicule

MODIFIED: Insulting Buhari or Tinubu ALSO fans bigotry - Please remain fair and balanced!
I see your point and agree with it. Public figures should not be insulted, but I won't be against "constructive criticism".
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 18, 2013
alaoeri: Hope sexkillz won't be like ikenna that banned me for a week for the word ABOKI because i don't know when Aboki turns to slur, its better now he's send back to where he belong.
If the word "aboki" is offensive, you shouldn't use it under any circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 18, 2013
dayokanu:

We are trying to eliminate bigotry from this section. Insulting public figures flares up the emotions of their fans and leads to a lot of name calling. We should criticize without insulting. That I know is possible.

2 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Malawian(m): 3:55pm On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: If the word "aboki" is offensive, you shouldn't use it under any circumstances.
ABOKI MEANS "MY FRIEND"
WHEN DID THE ABOVE BECOME OFFENSIVE?
WHY ARE WE CHASSING SHADDOWS ALL OVER THE PLACE.
I DONT SEE MAI TEA / INDOMIE GETTING WORKUP UP WHEN YOU CALL THEM ABOKI.
WHY DRINK PANADOL FOR ANOTHER PERSON'S HEADACHE?
HABA.

2 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoileee: 4:18pm On May 18, 2013
I remember how Ibo folks on this very forum used to abuse Yoruba endlessly, start Yoruba related threads to bash Yoruba people, how they endlessly abuse and caricature Awolowo non stop and how NL admin and mods looked the other way and didn't lift a finger, but all of a sudden, tribalism and bigotry caught their attention in 2013 simply because the same people can not accept the ugly consequences of what they started and what NL leadership condoned endlessly.

We also sit here and read how the same people call anything and anybody Yoruba ugly and adulterated names like Tinubu till this very second, still the same mods and admin looked the other way.

The same people call people ugly names, but cry when the favor is returned.

Bigotry and tribalism is what by collusion the leadership on NL condoned but now trying stop and control with still a flawed one sided and biased approach which I find very disingenuous and sadly laughable because you not only are responsible for it, you are still aiding and facilitating it.

As for the new mod, have a word or two with your people because whatever you are trying to regulate emanates from them...

2 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 18, 2013
eko ileee: I remember how Ibo folks on this very forum used to abuse Yoruba endlessly, start Yoruba related threads to bash Yoruba pellet, how they endlessly abuse and caricature Awolowo non stop and how NL admin and mods looked the other way and didn't lift a finger, but all of a sudden, tribalism and bigotry caught their attention in 2013 simply the same people can not accept the ugly consequences of what they started and what NL leadership condoned endlessly.

We also sit here and read how the same people call anything and anybody Yoruba ugly and adulterated names like Tinubu till this very second, still the same mods and admin looked the other wayp.

Bigotry and tribalism is what by collusion the leadership on NL condoned but now trying stop and control with still a flawed one sided and biased approach which I find very disingenuous and sadly laughable because you not only are responsible for it, you are still aiding and facilitating it.

As for the new mod, have a word or two with your people because whatever you are trying to regulate emanates from them...
Everyone has been wrong. We are looking for a way to rid ourselves of what has happened. How do we move ahead?
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 18, 2013
Malawian: ABOKI MEANS "MY FRIEND"
WHEN DID THE ABOVE BECOME OFFENSIVE?
WHY ARE WE CHASSING SHADDOWS ALL OVER THE PLACE.
I DONT SEE MAI TEA / INDOMIE GETTING WORKUP UP WHEN YOU CALL THEM ABOKI.
WHY DRINK PANADOL FOR ANOTHER PERSON'S HEADACHE?
HABA.
Aboki means friend if you are talking to a friend. But when you use it to describe a group, it is derogatory and you know it.

It is an offence to type in all CAPS so desist from that.

2 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by eggheaders(m): 4:42pm On May 18, 2013
eko ileee: I remember how Ibo folks on this very forum used to abuse Yoruba endlessly, start Yoruba related threads to bash Yoruba pellet, how they endlessly abuse and caricature Awolowo non stop and how NL admin and mods looked the other way and didn't lift a finger, but all of a sudden, tribalism and bigotry caught their attention in 2013 simply the same people can not accept the ugly consequences of what they started and what NL leadership condoned endlessly.

We also sit here and read how the same people call anything and anybody Yoruba ugly and adulterated names like Tinubu till this very second, still the same mods and admin looked the other wayp.

well said ogagun, those who spoilt all the various attempt of kiss and make up. we know the tribe where they are from and how they have frustrated every peace move. irrespective of what anybody does this guys have been programmed to hate the yorubas and it is has a result of generational lies pass down for ages.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 18, 2013
It's possible if every one makes a concious effort to stop the insults. 3 mods cannot stop you from insulting a tribe or an individual. Even if you get banned, you won't stop if you do not want to stop. If you make an effort, you'll be surprised at your achievements.

1 Like

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by ekoileee: 4:57pm On May 18, 2013
sexkillz: Everyone has been wrong. We are looking for a way to rid ourselves of what has happened. How do we move ahead?

We can move ahead by you staying in your regulatory lane and let others stay in theirs.

Meaning, concern yourself with what is actually against NL rules and less about other people's emotional and sentimental cries.

Many words are allowed on NL, but some folks complain over everything and anything they don't like and not necessarily because other used banned words and references.

Agood examples of course is Aboki, Aboki is not an offensive word and it is only to folks who are trying to make it one.

There's a hit song in Nigeria as we speak titled Aboki, the singer sang about his frineds all over Nigeria at every level of the society. The writer and singer's stage name is Ice Prince and his real name Panshak Zamani born and raised in Niger and by all means he's true to the core Hausa.

You in a leadership possition shouldn't be part of this ignorance just because some members cried to you based on their own dubious and selfish reasons.

You can not infringe on other people's rights just to please others. NL has it's own culture and idiosyncrasies which you must know and look out for if you really care about your job.

Please don't get me wrong cos I'm not in any way trying to dump on you or tell you how to do your job, this is just my own take and reasonings based on my personal experience as a member.

4 Likes

Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Demdem(m): 5:01pm On May 18, 2013
eko ileee:

We can move ahead by you staying in your regulatory lane and let others stay in theirs.

Meaning, concern yourself with what is actually against NL rules and less about other people's emotional and sentimental cries.

Many words are allowed on NL, but some folks complain over everything and anything they don't like and not necessarily because other used banned words and references.

Agood examples of course is Aboki, Aboki is not an offensive word and it is only to folks who are trying to make it one.

There's a hit song in Nigeria as we speak titled Aboki, the singer sang about his frineds all over Nigeria at every level of the society. The writer and singer's stage name is Ice Prince and his real name Panshak Zamani born and raised in Niger and by all means he's true to the core Hausa.

You in a leadership possition shouldn't be part of this ignorance just because some members cried to you based on their own dubious and selfish reasons.

You can not infringe on other people's rights just to please others. NL has it's own culture and idiosyncrasies which you must know and look out for if you really care about your job.

Please don't get me wrong cos I'm not in any way trying to dump on you or tell you how to do your job, this is just my own take and reasonings based on my personal experience as a member.

I adopt this post 100%
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 18, 2013
Obiagelli: @sexkillz
I see a lot "kill them all" statements on this section, I feel it is absolutely disgraceful, something should be done about this, it could be replaced with "deal with them"
I hope you noted this
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 18, 2013
eko ileee:

That's my point. Staying in my lanes means that I have to enforce those rules. Enforcing those rules means severely punishing anyone found contravening them. Contravening them might come from someone "deliberately provoking a nairaland member" (rule 2).
If a nairalander is deliberately provoked, I'll act!

I am trying to reconcile everyone to avoid "I wasn't aware" comments that may ensue when I decide to stay in my lane fully. Some things are better avoided.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 18, 2013
Obiagelli:
I hope you noted this
Yes I did. Thank you.
Re: Eliminating Bigotry From The Politics Section. by eggheaders(m): 5:55pm On May 18, 2013
new man, why did you hide my post on the nairaland becoming pro gej thread.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breaking News!!! Heavy Gunshots, Riot In Kogiā€¦ Roads Blocked (happening Now) / Tomato Price Has Crashed In Kano - PIC / Nigerians In UK Calling President Muhammadu Buhari A Terrorist(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.