Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (263838 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by InvertedHammer: 7:45am On Jun 27, 2013
swtedy: Did I hear 8.8m for a five bedroom duplex?That not possible Ooº°˚ ˚°ºo to achieve such a project with that little amount please go to your quantity surveyor to do a working bill fot you before you run into trouble.

[b]
Apparently most of you don't know anything about building houses. You rely on unscrupulous contractors who over-quote on materials to rip clients off. I just finished a four storey building at Nkpor in Anambra State. I was physically there a good number of times and that shaved millions from the quotes I was getting from the contractor. I had to fire the contractor and used direct labour under the supervision of the engineer. You will be amazed at how fast and cheaper things get done.

@ Spyder. Don't mind the naysayers who know little or nothing about building. I wonder at what point N8 million became little money. And we are talking about a building with no decking, minimal conduit wiring, etc.especially the fact that you are using your own labourers. Smart move. Those labourers are usually loyal since they know that you will give them jobs instead of sitting at "ogbo mmanu" waiting for turns.

Perhaps folks are looking at the grossly marked-up prices that developers throw at them after building those low quality houses.

As inter alia stated, keep up the good work. As you continue to prove your worth, more people sure will patronize your services. Good luck.
[/b]

7 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 27, 2013
Please mr spyder I would like you to explain to us how you would construct a duplex (one storey building) in 60 days.

Do you know about concrete curing and loading of concrete? Do you know the minimum duration in-situ concrete will cure before it is loaded? Unless you are using pre-cast concrete.

My friend be realistic. Unless you are part of the folks that construct unstable structures.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by blackchief(m): 8:09am On Jun 27, 2013
Nice one spyder, just can wait
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by dnative(m): 8:11am On Jun 27, 2013
jusRadical: Please mr spyder I would like you to explain to us how you would construct a duplex (one storey building) in 60 days.

Do you know about concrete curing and loading of concrete? Do you know the minimum duration in-situ concrete will cure before it is loaded? Unless you are using pre-cast concrete.

My friend be realistic. Unless you are part of the folks that construct unstable structures.

Have you read his previous posts to check what he knows and has done. You could have saved yourself the trouble of asking those questions. RTFM.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 27, 2013
Mr spyder, there 2 things in Engineering structure. They are safety and economics. Safety which is divided into 2 for civil engineering structures are covered by ultimate limit state design requirements and serviceability state requirements. Even in your construction, make sure that your procedures do not compromise the above. Of course, 60 days won't be enough for your project, stop deceiving people.

It is not all about cost reduction.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 27, 2013
dnative:

Have you read his previous posts to check what he knows and has done. You could have saved yourself the trouble of asking those questions. RTFM.

Mr man will the structure by a precast structure? If no, then you need to keep quiet and think.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by naijaobi(m): 8:16am On Jun 27, 2013
jusRadical: Please mr spyder I would like you to explain to us how you would construct a duplex (one storey building) in 60 days.

@the bolded...is dat not d reason you are on this thread? Relax and let him do the job.. After 60 days u can start making noise.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Loonyy(m): 8:16am On Jun 27, 2013
hello mr. Builder, am into refrigerations and that house is definitely incomplete without conduit air Conditions, so if u wanna give it shot u can contact me via 08037812083 collins........ Nice thread btw kudos
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by siaco(m): 8:16am On Jun 27, 2013
spyder880: I love building houses, and the attendant challenges that will inevitably come with it. I love making things happen, and working with skilled men to use materials in creating beautiful designs that will make a superb home. I have just been contracted by a Nairalander to build his house in Port Harcourt. The details are as follows;

Project: A 5 bedroom executive duplex
Client : A Nairalander
Duration: 60 days
Project cost: N8.8m (Foundation-roofing, materials and labour)
Contractor: Ckenneths Homes Nig.

This project will start this week as we arrange to travel down to the city and start work. This house comes with all the latest designs in modern building, granite, decent room arrangement with bigger bedrooms, internal plumbing and electricals, special parapet cornice, stone coated roofing tiles, everything.......
i am impressed by ur determination to succeed, but i doubt d budget. Meanwhile i deal in some of d materials u may need such as high yield rods, so wen ur in PH to start d project try to patronise me, i will do my best to help u get d materials @ affordable rate. 08063790000
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by dnative(m): 8:19am On Jun 27, 2013
jusRadical:

Mr man will the structure by a precast structure? If no, then you need to keep quiet and think.

Your mate is making ends, you are there saying "it's not possible". Sit down there ode.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ashaju33: 8:21am On Jun 27, 2013
Subscribing
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by esiri4jesu(m): 8:28am On Jun 27, 2013
Oga spyder, 5 bedroom executive duplex in PH for 8.8m? if it is your personal house the 8.8m will not even run it let alone on contract. Please, have a contract review with your client.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 27, 2013
Reference: And another fact often ignored when these mind boggling, head scratching sums are mentioned is quality. Poster, what is the level of quality you deliver. From structural integrity to finishing. Cos good quality materials and skilled craftsmanship to put them together don't come two a penny. You move into a new house particularly in estates and find out that you have massive repairs to do right away.

I agree with you on this. What is the quality of the finished product and what quality control measures is he taking. Talk is very cheap. One can construct a house at any price but quality and finishing differ.

What is the quality of blocks he intend to use (how many 225mm blocks per bag, how many 150mm thick blocks per bag).

What is his concrete mix ratio and subsequent strenght?

What type of tiles will he use (of course Italian and spanish tiles are costlier than china tiles)?

What is the quage of the aluminum?

What is the quality of the rendering/plastering mortar?

What is the quality of paint (of course he wouldn't go near dulux and berger paints)?

What is the quality of the windows and doors including the locks?

The list is endless.

IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD IF YOUR CONCRETE MEMBERS DON'T CURE WELL. IT WOULD UNPREFESSIONAL OR IF I MAY SAY, 'QUACKISH'.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 27, 2013
spyder880:

Thank you, the project is for only the cost of foundation till roofing, 'carcas' only. No finishing at all, no plastering, no tiles, no electrical fitting or toilet fittings. [b]Besides my own house in Enugu cost me 10.5m to complete [/b]to liveable levels like this....https://www.nairaland.com/698906/real-cost-building-6-bedroom

Then multiply that by 3...this is portharcourt..... i will be driving pass Eliozu when am coming back from d field...will see how u doing, wink wink wink
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jerrysmith: 8:37am On Jun 27, 2013
I have 3 1/2 plots of land in Ph, specifically along Stadium road, Elekahia Port Harcourt.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 27, 2013
Loonyy: hello mr. Builder, am into refrigerations and that house is definitely incomplete without conduit air Conditions, so if u wanna give it shot u can contact me via 08037812083 collins........ Nice thread btw kudos
with 8.8 million budget.....why not add HVAC instead grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 27, 2013
jerrysmith: I have 3 1/2 plots of land in Ph, specifically along Stadium road, Elekahia Port Harcourt.

u dey lie.... give me the location for stadium road, abi u wan claim stadium land b4 it is demolished grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Classik: 8:42am On Jun 27, 2013
spyder880:

You have a good point, PH is expensive in most things, from granite to sand and even the labour costs here na die! But I will be pushing the boundaries of focused spending with a deep knowledge about the safest ways to pay lower and get more for less. I will also be coming in with my team of workers from Enugu, and they must agree to work with me in PH with Enugu labour rates. I will build a 'batcher' for them to live on this site.

Mr. Spyder, if this is feasible with the amount you have mentioned, definitely more work is on the way. We need transparent and hard-working fellow like you in our country. I have a project in Ajah, but I have abandoned it for close to 2yrs since it cost close to 1.2M naira just to sink the foundation of the B.Q....so am scared of even going near the Main building because price of materials is astronomically high.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by abavoboi(m): 8:42am On Jun 27, 2013
spyder880:

You have a good point, PH is expensive in most things, from granite to sand and even the labour costs here na die! But I will be pushing the boundaries of focused spending with a deep knowledge about the safest ways to pay lower and get more for less. I will also be coming in with my team of workers from Enugu, and they must agree to work with me in PH with Enugu labour rates. I will build a 'batcher' for them to live on this site.
My brother that 8.8m is not feasible for that project,do u know hw much is reinforcement rods?ve u done ur material take-off? except you have decided to do a sub-standard job for ur client
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by electro4(m): 8:44am On Jun 27, 2013
No go start your work, only 60 na him u get and u still dey NL dey waste ur time.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 27, 2013
$£yi:

Sister, may be you shouldn't have concluded. I know of, entered and sat in a storey building built of clay bricks as walls and timbers as the deck and also the stairs. Built over 5 decades and still structurally sound.

There is no pest control in Nigeria, termites will surely bring your house down...that is our tornado grin grin
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by abavoboi(m): 8:49am On Jun 27, 2013
A builder is different from a civil engr. i can t imagine u telling us u will build a duplex in 2weeks, dont make me believe you re one of those quacks around town, so ur project scheduler came up with the 60 days plan? spyder it is not feasible....hw many days is concrete curing? with this daily rainfall...u cant achieve it...did u come with a rain-maker also from enugu?
dnative:

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by MiloRambaldi(m): 8:50am On Jun 27, 2013
The confusion about the pricing has to do with the word "duplex".

Duplex could be:

- a single house spread over two floors connected by an internal staircase - also called Maisonette.
- two-floor house having a complete apartment on each floor with separate entrances for two households.
- side-by-side apartments that share a common wall with separate entrances for two households.

So OP, which type of duplex are you building? Great thread.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by tobechigeorge: 8:51am On Jun 27, 2013
am an interior designer,let me do my magic inside the house wen u are done lik some wallpaper magic
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 27, 2013
jusRadical:

I agree with you on this. What is the quality of the finished product and what quality control measures is he taking. Talk is very cheap. One can construct a house at any price but quality and finishing differ.

What is the quality of blocks he intend to use (how many 225mm blocks per bag, how many 150mm thick blocks per bag).

What is his concrete mix ratio and subsequent strenght?

What type of tiles will he use (of course Italian and spanish tiles are costlier than china tiles)?

What is the quage of the aluminum?

What is the quality of the rendering/plastering mortar?

What is the quality of paint (of course he wouldn't go near dulux and berger paints)?

What is the quality of the windows and doors including the locks?

The list is endless.

IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD IF YOUR CONCRETE MEMBERS DON'T CURE WELL. IT WOULD UNPREFESSIONAL OR IF I MAY SAY, 'QUACKISH'.

Guy , forget about all these your long theories , practical is a different thing all together . It's either you are a novice in the building industry or if you are a practicing member you are the type that use formal paper certificate to gloss ignorance . Need I remind you that the price he stated here is for building the carcass of the building and roofing , only . For your information , finishing is the actual area that do gulp huge amount of money in building .

My stance is based on personal experience , his stated budget will surely bring the project to reality , so long as he's prudent. Also , the project delivery duration is in order , " concrete member curing " , especially the decking area which is paramount will not take more than one week to set in well , in this regard , all he need do is leave the supporting bamboos under the deck ,for at least one month .

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ogtavia(m): 9:00am On Jun 27, 2013
spydee411: Did you say 8.8million Naira for a detached house. The budget it not feasible my brother! That money can barely get u to decking not to talk of roofing or plastering
My brother I thought as much oh.you want to build a duplex (or a mansion like d thread is titled) on a budget of 8.8m,8.8m is scarcely enough for a detached bungalow,the foundation and suspended floor will gulp almost half of dt project while d roof will cost almost or a little above a million naira...except d building construction is to be done in phases...even d price of d so called granite goin by current market situation is well over 150000 naira per truckload...all d best tho brother.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Adek15(m): 9:03am On Jun 27, 2013
Seems u'r a civil engineer, i'm a potential one. 'll lyk 2 knw u beta, so how can i?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 27, 2013
Oga spyder, abeg which university u attended?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ITbomb(m): 9:26am On Jun 27, 2013
FRANCIS EKE:
when it comes to roofing,contact me,my Ghanian workers are stand by.at a very cheap rate with excellent roofing.nice one
Why Ghana?

I dont understand the >10m figure people are citing here, we all constructing a six bedroom duplex right now. We budgeted 4.5m but right now at roofing we have spent 4m and estimate gives about 2m to finish.
So the total probable figure would be 6m. it is a compact duplex.
It is possible to finish a duplex, fix windows, tiles, plaster etc with 8m though the size of the rooms also counts.
Like InvertedHammer said, If you are working on site, it is possible but if you are coordinating the construction from the comfort of your office then everyone need to be empowered. 20% of your money will go to middlemen.
I am subscribing.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by sayso: 9:33am On Jun 27, 2013
For those of you here to disturb the flow of these thread,quietly find yourself another place in NL and leave those who want to learn.All this PH money miss road people,spending all they earn partying.Just remember questions will be asked on what you did with the money in your youth age during your un-productive period.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by obi123: 9:40am On Jun 27, 2013
MaxNdu: If it were only Nigerians in the world, with some of the comments about Spyder's project in PH, I doubt if man would have been able to invent bicycle, talkless of going to the moon.
Spyder, remain focused. Some of us believe in your abilities and sound judgement.

God bless you for your comment , bunch of Debbie downers,you cant ,you cant, you cant ,ah ah !! no one said it will be easy but the young man is trying to carve a way for himself in life , he is willing to try and that's what counts .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.