Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant (37946 Views)

What Are These Pregnant Women Doing In NYSC Camp(pic) / Pastor Tunde Bakare's son & NYSC commandant trade slaps in NYSC Ondo camp / List Of Corp Members Killed In Bauchi As Released By Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Sir,

You have spoken well. But I beg to differ. A lot of the time, the victim is NOT culpable. I say this as someone who has observed military brutality for a long, long time. I cannot count the number of times that soldiers/naval ratings/airmen have attacked Nigerians without provocation for the most trivial kind of misunderstanding. And even if the victim was "mouthing off", should paralysis be retribution for her "crime"?

I repeat, a lot of the time, the victim is NOT culpable. Not to trivialise the issue or go off-topic but I first got a clear glimpse into the crazy mindset of nigerian soldiers in the early 1980s at a NITEL office in Ibadan. A young woman got into a heated argument with one of the armed soldiers guarding the place. Bystanders intervened when the soldier threatened to assault her. The young woman then told us all what the problem really was - apparently the soldier had seen her coming to pay NITEL bills a few times and he liked what he saw. Instead of trying to win her affection the normal way, he had started threatening her with government issued sub-machine guns if she didn't give in to his advances. angry Matters came to a head on that particular day when the young woman had had enough. If there were no witnesses what would have happened?

30 years later and that mentality of entitlement and oppression is still very much a part of how the nigerian military operates. There is only one reason these goons do what they do: it is because they can. If the consequences for misconduct were severe, all this nonsense would stop and perhaps a young woman would not be bedridden today.

She was given a direct order to go to her room. She refused.

A prudent person would have obeyed a command from a Commandant of the camp.

The jury will focus on why she was the one of all of the other girls there that got hurt.

The others followed direction = did not get injured. She did not follow command.

I am not saying that the Commandant is right, I've never said that.

Thanks for your response but I continue to award part culpability to the victim.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
tete7000: I expected the father of the lady to have petitioned the Chief of Army Staff by now. They should consult the human right people and see how they can bring the culprit officer to answer his offence. Nobody has a right to molest another man's child the way the officer has done and he should not go scot free. The lady has done nothing to deserve what she got.

I completely agree. He should be disciplined criminally and the family should pursue him civilly.

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
andyanders:

Stop making noise. Do you even know about Martin Luther King and what he died for? Go to down town Atlanta, Georgia and see things yourself. He never went violent.
You do not achieve your aim in life by violence. Must she confront the soldiers even when she has been warned to go inside her room?Others went in and she stood her ground and what she got is what she wanted. Is she feeling the pain with anybody? Hell No.
Are you on crack? in what ways was the lady violent?
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 04, 2013
alyarmouk: A captain of the NIGERIAN ARMY directed that all shld go inside and you were still explaining.......... he even pushed you and you had the guts to ask the captain if he cld push his sister like that walahi u get luck na only spine you damage..
shows how rude you are.
B.C.

WTF is this 1971 or 2013
wtf is wrong with your head,get out of your stupid village and see the way the world works.an adukt being pushed around by another adult all in the name of uniform and 17 fools liked this coment?
wow! shame

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
nijanigga:
Thank you, I was traveling on rail (train) from the north to the east more than 25 years ago,When we got to Kaduna, the passenger train was so full no room to walk.All of a sudden One non-commission military guy, pulled his belt and started beating people in that coach, come and see blood.Until One Ibo guy confronted him,he then turned on the guy,when the ibo guy over powered him, he started shouting "riot riot".By brother I never consider Nigeria a country,you read some of the comments on this topic,it makes you wonder,what in the world is going on?

You are comparing apples to oranges but you knew that.

Your story occurred on a non military installation, the NCO in your story never gave any directions to follow or a request, etc.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
DerideGull:

Above post is among the problems that besieged Nigeria. Anybody in military or para-military uniform of a country is the representative of the country’s law. If the young lady had acted like a civilized person when the commandant ordered everybody to go inside, she should be on her feet now and probably be dancing. However, the Captain should not have placed his/her hand on the young talk less of pushing her.
Nigeria is like computer lexicon, garbage in, garbage out.
last i know,its the police who is in charge of cilvil law in Nigeria not the military
wtf arer u saying
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
nijanigga:
Are you on crack? in what ways was the lady violent?

He never said the victim was violent.

Do you take pleasure in construing words?
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
milehigh06:

WTF is this 1971 or 2013
wtf is wrong with your head,get out of your stupid village and see the way the world works.an adult being pushed around by another adult all in the name of uniform and 17 fools liked this comnent?
wow! shame
Finally. Men of courage are talking.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

Your story occurred on a non military installation, the NCO in your story never gave any directions to follow or a request, etc.
how is NYSC which is an avenue for nigerian scholars to render their services to the nation a militrary installation
are u educated at all
so basically you get killed by people for serving your country while these same mu tha fu ckasssssssss robbed the country blind
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 8:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

No wonder, if you want apples and oranges go and meet Herman Cain. And you know where he is now,in the history of garbage.Use your head,I was just giving you an example of military brutalities in Nigeria.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
nijanigga: If most of the guys in this room are the Nigerian youths. The country is dead. I did my NYSC more than 18 years ago. I won't be shocked if many in this room were not born then. You can judge the quality of education now from this room. Things are really sour.

Speaking of quality of education, when you are calmer please go back and read your posts for grammar, composition, punctuation and general sense of communication.

Don't judge or misjudge the great youths of Nigeria and their educational accomplishments by a minuscule sampling on an online forum.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

Speaking of quality of education, when you are calmer please go back and read your posts for grammar, composition, punctuation and general sense of communication.

Don't judge or misjudge the great youths of Nigeria and their educational accomplishments by a minuscule sampling on an online forum.
and how much did that put in your bank acct...
we too like stupid things for this country.i understand your point,dont get me wrong but the grammar part no make sense
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 8:42pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

I will,but right now, these comments and pain of that lady can't make me calm. Just for the sake of NYSC that have no values and no meaning.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
nijanigga:

No wonder, if you want apples and oranges go and meet Herman Cain. I was just giving you example of military brutalities in Nigeria.

And why would I want to meet Mr. Cain? And what does meeting him have to do with this thread?

Military abuse happens all over the world, Nigeria does not hold the patent to it.

The issue at hand here is the reaction of the victim here at the hands of an enraged and most likely unbalanced military officer.

How can it be avoided.

I am not sure how I should feel now. I don't think you love me anymore as you didn't call me any pet name on this post. What happened to monkey, low IQ, sub human, etc
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
milehigh06:
and how much did that put in your bank acct...
we too like stupid things for this country.i understand your point,dont get me wrong but the grammar part no make sense

First, that is private information between me and my accountant.

Second, the TOS for this site requires us to "21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation."

Third, the person that I directed the post to was being a hypocrite for lambasting the youths of Nigeria as uneducated when he/she was displaying the same thing.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

And why would I want to meet Mr. Cain? And what does meeting him have to do with this thread?

Military abuse happens all over the world, Nigeria does not hold the patent to it.

The issue at hand here is the reaction of the victim here at the hands of an enraged and most likely unbalanced military officer.

How can it be avoided.

I am not sure how I should feel now. I don't think you love me anymore as you didn't call me any pet name on this post. What happened to monkey, low IQ, sub human, etc
Your republican candidate Mr Cain was using apples and oranges to make a point , that was why I referred you to him.He might be your role model. I can't just imagine the pain that lady is going through right now for no fault of her own and for people like you to be in support of the action of the captain.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Kevsman(m): 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
lacasa: i'll forever state publicly that, rebel soldiers down in Congo are more refined than the illiterate gorilla looking wretches called soldiers in this country's army.

The Nigerian army officially died with Murtala Muhammed. (Fact)

Rubbish!!!
tink befour u speak ok?
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by osram(m): 8:58pm On Jul 04, 2013
trolling: whats the definition of NYSC again?
NATIONAL YEAR OF SEX AND COMFORT!!!
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by anyicool(m): 9:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
Kevsman: tink befour u speak ok?
u think before u post. Nobody spoke "befour" ok?
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by klax(m): 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
I pity this lady a lot and at the same time oh lady what is the matter with you that you are a bit sturbborn in the face of Nigeria Army dont you know doing such is like stepping on the tail of a "Viper" You were told to get inside and you are still there making point, its a pity my dear next time when you are dealing with this people I beg you for God sake be wise because if not the damage might too devastating.

The Mr Iron man Commander should be punish for that wicked act there is no justification for kicking anyone in just saying dont push me and she got so badly kicked to lost her back in the saga that is wickedness of highest order mr commander, this is so outragoeus and disgraceful to the call of Army.

One more last thing to tell the young lady is an adage that say "Someone who does not have backbone(Godfather) should not go and look for trouble orelse he or she will suffer for nothing" here you are now lay on bed and if care is not taking the commander will go free Nigeria is too dangerous a place where sometime you can not claim right but claim smart to avoid serious error "I mean sometime".

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Rajosh(m): 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2013
Sibrah: Four months after? What kind of dance she dey dance four months after camp? Na kerewa dance?
mu.mu
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by VolvoS60(m): 9:09pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

She was given a direct order to go to her room. She refused.

A prudent person would have obeyed a command from a Commandant of the camp.

The jury will focus on why she was the one of all of the other girls there that got hurt.

The others followed direction = did not get injured. She did not follow command.

I am not saying that the Commandant is right, I've never said that.

Thanks for your response but I continue to award part culpability to the victim.

^^^^Mr Somorin sir,

Again I beg to disagree. Before we go on, I recognise that we are all acting on limited information that is in the public domain here - we may all have to revise our opinions when more information comes out.

But I disagree with your position. Strongly. The Nigerian army has a well deserved reputation for brutality AND indiscipline that has gone unchecked for decades. The rot is systemic. It is founded on a culture of impunity and entitlement that is encouraged and promoted by the military high command. It is this recognition (based on many years of experience) of how the average nigerian soldier/airman/naval rating behaves that has informed the position I have taken.

There is no need to be legalistic about this. Let us assume that indeed the young lady in question "did not follow command" as you said. I cannot imagine a jury anywhere would believe that a broken spine is a fit 'punishment' for her 'crime'.

The truth will come out.

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by andyanders: 9:11pm On Jul 04, 2013
nijanigga:
I will,but right now, these comments and pain of that lady can't make me calm. Just for the sake of NYSC that have no values and no meaning.

Correct your grammar as you have been advised and you are here still talking through your anus.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by viexcey(f): 9:14pm On Jul 04, 2013
Am sorry about what happened to her but the is,
1: soldiers are not allowed to touch corp members even when you are out from camp,dey still respect that uniform.dey can only punish you.
2: since she wasn't in camp as an otondo, she wasn't suppose to be wit d otondos in the same room(bad arrangement) knowing fully well dat dey r alws on white wich i guess she wasn't wearing.
3: with d reason above, she suppose to be calm and report the case to d camp coodinator. Obviously, soldiers are not aware of d arrangement so they are security Conscious.
Meanwhile, am not saying what do man did was good but it was avoildable.

Reason: we should be careful and calm wit somethings in life. We mustnt air our view(s) by being rude, arrogant not knowing d kind of person we r dealing wit. HAD I KNOWN COME BUT LAST!

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

First, that is private information between me and my accountant.

Second, the TOS for this site requires us to "21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation."

Third, the person that I directed the post to was being a hypocrite for lambasting the youths of Nigeria as uneducated when he/she was displaying the same thing.
lmaoooooo
wow...u really make me laugh.you speak about spelling words correctly like we are all sitting for some exam being sponsored by the founder of this site......As long as people understand you,whats all the grammar about......and i do think his post was referring to the total lack of apathy towards the lady that was attacked being shown by most people on here.its wrong to generalize but to go as far as pointing out his grammatical failings just points to one thing on your part, dont be a grammar cop

p/s do u know how many auto correct i just did
we can all type in ms word and use auto correct and sound like prof soyinka
and like i said,i do feel your point
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 9:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
andyanders:

Correct your grammar as you have been advised and you are here still talking through your anus.
I will whenever you give me a breakdown of the part of speech in your last comment.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by nijanigga: 9:22pm On Jul 04, 2013
andyanders:

And you're claiming to be living in Atlanta,with Nigerian mentality.Is that your SUV? or you're still paying car notes.Please keep on paying oh, unless you want to ruin your credit history. I used to live in atlanta, it's my understanding that the city is overtaken by lgbt.Is it true that you have a Nigerian gay club now in atlanta? be careful with your anus,unless you're one of them.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by agohavivi(f): 9:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
Sibrah: Four months after? What kind of dance she dey dance four months after camp? Na kerewa dance?
What a stupid question. Must you comment? If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, then shut up.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by flyforall: 9:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
That commandant needs to go to jail

1 Like

Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by Picomon(m): 9:29pm On Jul 04, 2013
D soldier a wicked person. If at all she rude or commit an offence, punish am or give am hard labour. Beating no nice at all!!

Well, me I no kuku wan self bfore. Lai lai. Even if my skul no gree gimme certificate, as long as say I don clear, d rest na story.

If I go even serve self, na 4uck I wan go 4uck for there. Dats all.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by agohavivi(f): 9:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
SimonAndal: I might not know how the NYSC operates, but don't corpers leave the camp after 1 month? Dafuq was she doing dancing in camp after 4 MONTHS?
The lady was said to have joined the dance trope 4months before. The incident occured in March when the orientation camp was in progress. If you had read through properly you wouldn't be asking this question.
Re: Woman Crippled By NYSC Camp Commandant by VolvoS60(m): 9:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
Somorin#1:

The freedom I enjoy in Nigeria was worn by engaging the adversaries in mostly diplomatic ways.

You can call me lilly livered because I address issues in an educated manner that ALWAYS gets me my desired result but I am alive and well with no spinal injury.

^^^^
That was a low blow sir, and you know it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Anambra Corper, Jenyo Ojo, Dies A Month To Passing Out - Pictures / Female Corper Drowns In Swimming Pool In Enugu State / NYSC-UPDATE:for Those Who Miss The Nationwide Headcount(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.