Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics (44764 Views)

Senator Ahmed Zanna Is Dead / Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima Justifies Marriage To 13-year-old Egyptian Girl. / Sharia Gov. Sani Ahmed Yerima Marries 13 Year Old Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by sweetgala(m): 12:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
ibnjarir: Job well done Mr Yarima!

Bloody sinner... Allah is watching you.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Bawss1(m): 12:27pm On Jul 21, 2013
It is disgusting that people are using their religion to champion pedophi.lia. Utterly disgusting.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by stanech: 12:32pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Like @eldoradoxx who considers those asking uncomfortable questions detractors of "God's law", I see you are also immutable to reason.

I was going to respond to your earlier comment, but have chosen not to in view of your million likes for a misplaced sense of reasoning?

Religion is a sensitive issue in Nigeria. I agree totally with what he said.

We must learn to respect the right of others while trying to protect our own right. Mind u we all reason differently.

This issue of underage marriage has been overblown because it did not start today

Let's fight bad governance if we have a better society no one will give his child out to yerima trust me....
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 21, 2013
Chinom: I have never paid attention to this issue and i honestly don't consider it important. It's very far from my bed. I'm more concerned about fighting Corruption and having constant electricity-24/7 in Nigeria. Child marriage is solely a problem of the Northerners and the parents that give a 12 tear old out for marriage. POVERTY is the root of this "problem".
Only very poor parents give their child out for marriage. But one question still bothers me - How come, that nature or God has made it possible for a 13yr old to get pregnant and bear children ?.

Note: In most villages in Southern Nigeria,underage girls still get married.

And how is this solely a problem for Northerners when it is the welfare of children that is under scrutiny here?

Are the these Northern children no longer Nigerians?

Have you ever taken time to reflect on the attendant costs of 11 million Almajari children - twice population of Sierra Leone? Do you see the connection between all these issues, or are you one of those who touts the argument of "God's laws"?

1 Like

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 21, 2013
stanech:

Religion is a sensitive issue in Nigeria. I agree totally with what he said.

We must learn to respect the right of others while trying to protect our own right. Mind u we all reason differently.

This issue of underage marriage has been overblown because it did not start today

Let's fight bad governance if we have a better society no one will give his child out to yerima trust me....

Listen, with all due respect, your arguments are pedestrian.
Since you comport yourself under the banner of "God's Law", please have the good grace to vacate the field for those of us capable on fighting more than one cause at the same time. It is really that simple!

Child rights legislation in Nigeria
The provisions of the Act supersede all other legislation that has a bearing on the rights of the child. Having been
enacted at the national level, the states are expected to formally adopt and adapt the Act for domestication as
state laws: Issues of child rights protection are on the residual list of the Nigerian Constitution, giving states
exclusive responsibility and jurisdiction to make laws relevant to their specific situations. State laws inimical
to the rights of the child are also to be amended or annulled as may be required, to conform to the Act and to the CRC.

Source: http://www.unicef.org/nigeria/Child_rights_legislation_in_Nigeria.pdf

1 Like

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by babylolaroy(f): 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2013
Vegasailin: I love all the comments that i have read here.First of all,Let us leave religion out of this.A six yrs old girl knows nothing about herself,she cant even tell what the future looks like,she still plays with sand with her mates and all she wanted is parental love at that age.Please Some idiots said they do it in USA..let me ask you are we americans or are we colonised by them and must you copy the bad side of a country? ...i think this is just violation of fundamental human rights of the young girls because when they grow up,you have given them out against their consent.Yerima is a bastard,i Think without Bachelors degree,No one shd be allowed to contest to the Senate.We are having security challenges,Unemployment and alot of problems,You now have the impetus to bring out this irritating issue.I have been to the most,most cases about women in the north are Cancer of the Vagina and Vagina Tear Cos they have sex at tender age.........Yerima Is Just An Animal:::::::::
forget dah wan i beg...u suppose don geh thumbs up buh i disconcur wth ur last point...gals dey geh tear tear cos of tender age intimacy...shey na marriage dey cause am?..no be sex dey cause tear..dey don talk say sex go wait. na determinatn na..mr yerima go wait make she knack real puberty
aftarall teenagers av sex daily w/o marriage....dem dey geh tear?
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Odicious: 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2013
If Ahmed Sani is so good to point out concisely and clearly some of the problems of Nigeria, is the solution to the probs by charting a course for paedophilia? He's just being an intelligently foolish unworthy law maker...
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Orikinla(m): 12:44pm On Jul 21, 2013
Chillisauce: One word....

Animal!

One word, like founder like Yerima.
He said it.
Aisha was 19 when the husband the founder of their religion died at 63 in questionable circumstances that Muslims dare not disclose or be damned.
Who is fooling whom?

1 Like

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by stanech: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

And how is this solely a problem for Northerners when it is the welfare of children that is under scrutiny here?

Are the these Northern children no longer Nigerians?

Have you ever taken time to reflect on the attendant costs of 11 million Almajari children - twice population of Sierra Leone? Do you see the connection between all these issues, or are you one of those who touts the argument of "God's laws"?

Sir. We are quit on the same page here
But I still think that the issue of corruption and poverty in the land is the biggest problem and Nigerians are doing nothing about it.

Let us fight poverty first aLl other things will fall into place

The North has always been like that and no matter how much we type and curse it aint gonna change.

Rather let's use development to kick out these stupid laws when people live a normal average not too stressful life they tend to do things in a civilized way. Look @ Saudi a muslim nation but they don't practice child marriage don't u think its because they have a better society?
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by OneNaira6: 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
The Yerima dude is nothing but a disgusting pig. he's nothing but a man using his religion to hide his pedophilic believes. Any grown man that thinks it's okay to marry or mate with an underage child needs his head examined. Noone stole your childhood while growing up, now that you of age you think it's alright to steal an another person's childhood. SMH. I can't even believe some are defending this disgusting soon to be law.
You pedophiles should go seek professional, psychological and spiritual help. Disgusting pigs
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by babylolaroy(f): 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2013
[quote author=stanech]

Exactly my point child marriage has been there the north. It is not in the south and no sane man in the south can allow it.

If we think we can stop d north from practicing it we dey waste time

My take is if a man is so foolish toi give his/her child out for marriage na him sabi..

The way we dey shout the matter like say them dey force us to give our daughter out...[/quote
and wetin dey pain me pass be say we cant stop d lawmakers. dey cant even hear us. dey ll do what dey want. weda pass law or not, once no one gives out dia own kid, den no old man is marryin a kid...end of discussion..y d mata cum hard lyk diamond na
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by babylolaroy(f): 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
One_Naira: The Yerima dude is nothing but a disgusting pig. he's nothing but a man using his religion to hide his pedophilic believes. Any grown man that thinks it's okay to marry or mate with an underage child needs his head examined. Noone stole your childhood while growing up, now that you of age you think it's alright to steal an another person's childhood. SMH. I can't even believe some are defending this disgusting soon to be law.
You pedophiles should go seek professional, psychological and spiritual help. Disgusting pigs
y u cum dey vex on top notin...yu rnt even talkin to someone in particular so save ur breath...yerima cant hear yu nd no one can...jus kip ur own dota safe no one will marry ha...gaskiya#
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by stanech: 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Listen, with all due respect, your arguments are pedestrian.
Since you comport yourself under the banner of "God's Law", please have the good grace to vacate the field for those of us capable on fighting more than one cause at the same time. It is really that simple!

Source:

http://www.unicef.org/nigeria/Child_rights_legislation_in_Nigeria.pdf

Ok sir
I will. But I still insist that we are going on about this the wrong way.. It would have been better we challange all senators on the issue of corruption and mobilize both on media and through protest against any their recless spending of our commonwealth rather than engage them in laws we know will not even change anything.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2013
stanech:

Sir. We are quit on the same page here
But I still think that the issue of corruption and poverty in the land is the biggest problem and Nigerians are doing nothing about it.

Let us fight poverty first aLl other things will fall into place

The North has always been like that and no matter how much we type and curse it aint gonna change.

Rather let's use development to kick out these stupid laws when people live a normal average not too stressful life they tend to do things in a civilized way. Look @ Saudi a muslim nation but they don't practice child marriage don't u think its because they have a better society?

I am going to return to explain why this important issue should be relegated to the background, simply because we are fighting to contain corruption in other areas.

For now, consider the following articles.

More than 5,000 child brides in Saudi Arabia

Dubai: More than 5,000 girls below the age of 14 are married off in Saudi Arabia, according to media reports.
There have been 5,622 marriages where the bride is under the age of 14 in Saudi Arabia, said Ali Abdul Rahman Al Roumi, a social services academic at Imam Mohammad Bin Saud Islamic University, adding that specifying a legal age would not solve the problem, and may lead to “even bigger problems”.

A number of families from “rural areas” have been marrying their daughters off to older, rich men, according to the Saudi owned Al Hayat newspaper.

“We must solve this, by at least looking at the difference in age in cases where the bride is young, in which case it can be deceptive” he said. He did not specify what period of time that figure represents.

Source: http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/more-than-5-000-child-brides-in-saudi-arabia-1.1101605

Will Saudi Arabia end child marriage?

By Suad Abu-Dayyeh, Special to CNN

Editor’s note: Suad Abu-Dayyeh is the Middle East and North Africa consultant for Equality Now, an advocacy group for the human rights of women and girls around the world. The views expressed are her own.

Three years ago, 12-year-old Fatima was "sold" into marriage to a man more than four times her age. Her father, unemployed and addicted to drugs, sold her into wedlock for about $10,500, money that he then used to buy himself a car. You might be asking yourself how this possible. The answer – because there is no minimum age of marriage law in Saudi Arabia.

Read More: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/27/will-saudi-arabia-end-child-marriage/

Why is no one protecting Saudi Arabia's child brides?

The support of the Saudi monarchy and its apologists in the west means the barbaric practice of child marriage is unchallenged

The Saudi monarchy has a long history of marrying very young girls.' Photograph: Fayez Nureldine/AFP/Getty Images

Atgaa, 10, and her sister Reemya, 8, are about to be married to men in their 60s. Atgaa will be her husband's fourth wife. Their wedding celebrations are scheduled for this week and will take place in the town of Fayaadah Abban in Qasim, Saudi Arabia.

The girls are getting married because their financially struggling father needs the money that their dowries will provide: young girls of this age can fetch as much as $40,000 each.

Many readers might be shocked at this news. How can it be legal? The answer is that Saudi Arabia has no minimum age for marriage, and it is perfectly legal to marry even an hour-old child.

Three Saudi ministries share the blame for allowing and facilitating child marriages. The health ministry is tasked with conducting genetic tests for couples considering marriage. Saudi law requires potential brides and grooms to provide certificates of genetic testing before marriages can officially proceed.

The justice ministry regulates the marriage process and issues licences. And the interior ministry registers families and documents the relationships between family members. It is also the most powerful government agency; it has authority over all other ministries and can direct their activities at will.

As with many pernicious practices, child marriage would not exist without tacit support and approval from the country's leadership. Far from condemning child marriage, the Saudi monarchy itself has a long history of marrying very young girls.

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/08/saudi-arabia-child-brides-marriage

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
Joel Brinkley: Saudi Arabia takes tentative steps to end child marriage
May 28, 2013|American Voices | Tribune Media Services

A senior official in the Saudi Arabian Justice Ministry boldly declared that the government is finally going to attack a significant national problem: child marriage.

It's not uncommon to hear about girls 12 years old or younger being forced to marry men in their 70s or 80s. For many years now, news stories about this problem have been tarnishing the Saudi government's image.

Source: Chicago Tribune

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by stanech: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
babylolaroy:
y u cum dey vex on top notin...yu rnt even talkin to someone in particular so save ur breath...yerima cant hear yu nd no one can...jus kip ur own dota safe no one will marry ha...gaskiya#

The thing no tire you. Talk about misplaced priorities
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by stanech: 1:10pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

I am going to return to explain why this important issue should be relegated to the background, simply because we are fighting to contain corruption in other areas.

For now, consider the following article.

Source: http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/more-than-5-000-child-brides-in-saudi-arabia-1.1101605

If saudi arabia hv 20percent of the problem Niigeria has then child marriage would not hv been an issue. They hv a system that works. A better standard of living. Security. These are nigeria biggest prob not marriage not gay laws.
Y do we keep diciving ourselves.
Kidnaping rape manslaughter bokoharam thieving politicians armedrobbery strike electricty goodhealth. Those. Are enof reasons to call our senators back home not some stupid child marriage which has been existing from genesis. It is d least of our problem
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by ono(m): 1:15pm On Jul 21, 2013
@stanech,
Face up all those links posted by eGuerilla and stop wasting precious time! Defend your evil, child molesting, clueless senator Yerima. Even Saudi Arabia is moving away from the evil - see link up there. Yet, your illiterate and dull senator wants to satisfy his carnal, paedophilic desires using the hallowed chambers of the Nigerian senate? He will not get away with this one. And he will end up behind bars!!

1 Like

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
stanech:

If saudi arabia hv 20percent of the problem Niigeria has then child marriage would not hv been an issue. They hv a system that works. A better standard of living. Security. These are nigeria biggest prob not marriage not gay laws.
Y do we keep diciving ourselves.
Kidnaping rape manslaughter bokoharam thieving politicians armedrobbery strike electricty goodhealth. Those. Are enof reasons to call our senators back home not some stupid child marriage which has been existing from genesis. It is d least of our problem

Ah, I see you abandoned the "Saudi" argument and moved on to other heinous crimes beleaguering our society.

I dey come.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
Mr. Yerima, we are 160 million people in nigeria, and not upto half of us practise islam. Marry her if you want, just don't include it in our constitution.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by stanech: 1:24pm On Jul 21, 2013
ono: @stanech,
Face up all those links posted by eGuerilla and stop wasting precious time! Defend your evil, child molesting, clueless senator Yerima. Even Saudi Arabia is moving away from the evil - see link up there. Yet, your illiterate and dull senator wants to satisfy his carnal, paedophilic desires using the hallowed chambers of the Nigerian senate? He will not get away with this one. And he will end up behind bars!!

All I am saying is that we have real serious issues that are staring us in the face which are more important than child marriage or don't we?

Saudi is moving against it and that's laudable
We should move against it too but we shold place the issue of poverty and corruption in the government above it that's what I'm saying. That's where we need to tackle
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by wasak(m): 1:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
This issue, to me shudnt be debated. He never asked any1 to giv out his underage daughter or sister by force.its abt consent....w@ is d proof d@ 18 is d age of mental maturity.no proof w@soever. Sentiments aside.ds issue affects no1.i wasnt upto 18 b4 i started understandin my society. Many are over 19 nd yet knw ñothin abt marriage. But d so cold underage girls can indulge in premarital sex with adults or dia mates.HYPOCRISY
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Ewuga3: 1:27pm On Jul 21, 2013
Mr senator Yerima, in his city of yours, do married women flirt or not? Are married women raped or not? Why concentrate on only the chastity of the girls? Shouldn't the boys who sleep with them on Val's day be married to their mother's age mates so that their chastity will also be protected? How many of your daughters have you married out at six years old! This Islam of yours that allows marriage at 6 years old, what does it say about the over bloated allowance that you are feeding our gemü with? Which part of Islam allows marriage of girls at 6 years old?
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by solasalako(m): 1:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
;DLWKMD grin grin grin [color=#990000][/color] grin
caprini: How can a man want to have sex with a child that watches ,TELE TUBBIES,BARNIE ,CEE BIE BIES,DORA THE EXPLORER with the concentration of an adult following the events in syria on Aljazeera?If he is not totally messed up in the membrane.A child that merely sitting her beside a boy in school,protests and cries as if her rights have been taken from her for being a girl.Is it that Yerima and co. dont have daughters,grand daughters and nieces that they adore their innocence and cuteness and thank God for these wonderful gift called the girl child?
Let us all join hands and say no to this barbaric act.k
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by kolado(m): 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
I was watching Channel tv yesterday when i saw a good many Nigerians carrying placards with bold inscriptions of these likes 'Say No To Child Bride' and 'Child Not Bride' e.t.c. I waited with sick feeling of suspense to get the gist of the news before i knew it i saw a humanright activist being interviewed but she only just said they won't support the amendment bill of underage marriage in Nigeria. I understand our grievances that we are trying to snuff out the legalization of underage marriage though we don't seem to know that the grave issue at state is next to nothing because constitutionally,it's nothing to do with underage marriage under the 1999 constitution as amended. It pertinent at this crucial juncture to apprise able-minded Nigerians of the fact that Section 29(4)(b)CFRN 1999 as amended which provides thus:Any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age. This section is under chapter 3 of the CFRN 1999 as amended which borders on CITIZENSHIP. Thus,Section 29(1) provides thus:Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation. How ever does this liken to underage marriage? Sec 29(4)(a)provides that for the purposes of subsection(1)of this section (a)"full age"means the age eighteen years and above. Thus,the combined reading of Section 29(1) and 29 (4)(a)and(b) mean that once you're a citizen of Nigeria of full age(18 years and above),either male or female who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for renunciation. Now the controversial section 29(4)(b)means that once any woman(in simple term girl) is married shall be deemed to be of full age. She will automatically be deemed to be 18yrs and above eventhough she's 13yrs old by virtue of marriage to renounce her nigerian citizenship. In conclusion,it's shameful that our senators don't have sound interpretation of statute. If the situation had been so,underage marriage as we have thought,lawyers wouldn't have rested on their oars rather snuff out such barbaric law.I don't like whipping up tribal sentiments at its sadistic worst. I love you al!
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by sweetgala(m): 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
babylolaroy:
forget dah wan i beg...u suppose don geh thumbs up buh i disconcur wth ur last point...gals dey geh tear tear cos of tender age intimacy...shey na marriage dey cause am?..no be sex dey cause tear..dey don talk say sex go wait. na determinatn na..mr yerima go wait make she knack real puberty
aftarall teenagers av sex daily w/o marriage....dem dey geh tear?

So would you be marrying away your daughters St 6 year then. Or were you married away at such age.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by finditng: 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2013
harthonder: I criosly wonder y everyone has been saying all
sorts of negative things on d child marriage
ruling,count in ur own neighbourhood how many
15 year old and below that are virgins,handful.
How many secondary schl girls are being disvirgnd
on valentine days in school toilets and bushes,how many inocent and underage housemaids are being
sexually abused in the houses of their
employees,even secondary school teachers abuse
their wards. Go to our female boarding schools and
see the no of underage girls engaging in illicit
practices,so many lesbians around. I don't think marrying a girl off at a tender age can stop her
from going to school or getting proper education,it
will only keep her away from engaging in acts that
are harmful to her and the entire community. I can
categorically say today that most club girls in
nigeria are teenagers,well below 18yrs of age,and they engage in things that even a 30yr old dare
not try. So what are we saying here.the no of ppl
that engage mostly in abortion fall below
18yrs,senators,politicians and rich men,senseless
ones though patrol our undergraduate hostels
looking for girls to have a one night stand with and once they give them a token amount,the gals
hop in their parked flashy cars and some even
have sex with them in their cars. If all these can be
happening,I see no reason why a 12 or 13 year old
girl cannot get married o,its for her own good
afterall.

You are definately an idiot..buried in eternal folly...If she couldn't take a rational decision on issues at a stage of life.....marrying her off for the rest of life is the answer?.....she errors up a stage thus u create a ripple effect of errors true her life.....God, I wish i could have them joystick ur under 18 daughter from every angle consistently under the tag marriage and in ur presence......that'll definately jumpsatrt that dead brain of urs.....nuisance..
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by finditng: 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
find.it.ng:

You are definately an idiot..buried in eternal folly...If she couldn't take a irrational decision on issues at a stage of life.....marrying her off for the rest of life is the answer?.....she errors up a stage thus u create a ripple effect of errors true her life.....God, I wish i could have them joystick ur under 18 daughter from every angle consistently under the tag marriage and in ur presence......that'll definately jumpsatrt that dead brain of urs.....nuisance..
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by kolado(m): 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
kolado: I was watching Channel tv yesterday when i saw a good many Nigerians carrying placards with bold inscriptions of these likes 'Say No To Child Bride' and 'Child Not Bride' e.t.c. I waited with sick feeling of suspense to get the gist of the news before i knew it i saw a humanright activist being interviewed but she only just said they won't support the amendment bill of underage marriage in Nigeria. I understand our grievances that we are trying to snuff out the legalization of underage marriage though we don't seem to know that the grave issue at state is next to nothing because constitutionally,it's nothing to do with underage marriage under the 1999 constitution as amended. It's pertinent at this crucial juncture to apprise able-minded Nigerians of the fact that Section 29(4)(b)CFRN 1999 as amended which provides thus:Any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age. This section is under chapter 3 of the CFRN 1999 as amended which borders on CITIZENSHIP. Thus,Section 29(1) provides thus:Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation. How ever does this liken to underage marriage? Sec 29(4)(a)provides that for the purposes of subsection(1)of this section (a)"full age"means the age of eighteen years and above. Thus,the combined reading of Section 29(1) and 29 (4)(a)and(b) mean that once you're a citizen of Nigeria of full age(18 years and above),either male or female who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for renunciation. Now the controversial section 29(4)(b)means that once any woman(in simple term girl) is married shall be deemed to be of full age. She will automatically be deemed to be 18yrs and above eventhough she's 13yrs old by virtue of marriage to renounce her nigeria citizenship. In as much as she has got married to a man eventhough she's not of full age she would be deemed to be so in order to renounce her nigerian citizenship by virtue of Section 29(4)(b)1999 CFRN as amended.In conclusion,it's shameful that our senators don't have sound interpretation of statute. If the situation had been so,underage marriage as we have thought,lawyers wouldn't have rested on their oars rather snuff out such barbaric law.I don't like whipping up tribal sentiments at its sadistic worst. I love you al!
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
@All,

If we leave aside the issue of marriage for a moment, we are bound to agree that the definition of a child is one that elicits much passion, and divides opinion, in Nigeria. For me, this is what lies at the heart of the current debate.

Why is that a large section of our population does not understand or accept that children are autonomous holders of rights, in much the same way adults are, and should hence be afforded sufficient protection under our laws, in 2013?

I pose this question not because I am unaware that childhood did not exist as a concept until the fifteen century even in the West, but rather to engage those on the opposing side of the divide in a meaningful dialogue.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Umamman1(m): 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2013
Girls of 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Are Not Wives but are Prostitutes Parading in Hotels;

They are Street Hawkers Parading the Streets @ Nights;

They are Sweet 16 & as Such can have Sex anytime they are in Need;

They can have 5 boyfriends yet they are Not Wives. @ 9, 10 & 11,

They are disvirgin on Valentine Day, In Primary Schools Toilets, @ the Back Yard and @ Dinner Parties, Yet they are Not Wives. They are House Girls Selling Sex To The Gate Men, Madams Sons & Husbands Yet they are Not Wives, While My Culture & Religion Say Yes to their Marriage, Some Say No to their Marriage But Yes to Their Prostitution.

The Law In The 1999 Constitution Is Vividly Clear On This: In Terms Of Marriage We are Obliged to Follow Our Religious Guides.

The Almighty Allah is the Greatest and the Holy Qur'an is the Only Supreme Law On Earth I follow and abide by!

So please dear brothers & sisters let us leave in peace and harmony with one another & have utmost respect to both religions base on their teachings & sayings.
Re: Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
I wonder why we have to break our necks over someone's ideology .........their religion gives them the right to have the girl child as wives...whats your own with it....they southern part of this nation should understand that even our culture supports underage marriages and because we don't explore that part of our culture doesn't mean its not there...Britain forced two different cultures together like they did in India,Pakistan and Nepal until they went their individual ways.....At least they are not asking for your daughters hands in marriage and even if they do you have a right to say no......Lets live and let them live....When they introduced Sharia Law it was as if we should all die but right now we can live with it....so we will also live with this Law.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Launches Armored Fighting Vehicles, Nigerians React (Photos) / Bianca Ojukwu Celebrates Chimamanda Adichie, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Dora Akunyili / Shameful, Irresponsible That DSS Is Leaking Our Phone Conversations - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.