Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,250 members, 7,815,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another (18975 Views)

President Buhari Plans Another Trip To South Africa / Bancorp Bank In The United States Plans To Return Rotimi Amaechi’s $757 Million / Kano Returns 52 Beggars To Home States. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2013
Otseh: @ samunique, are destitudes not nigerians? don't they have right to live in any part of the country? what the governors shld do is to rehabilitate them not send them away. they are in those places because they can not help themselves, so govt shld help them.

many people have failed to realized that street begging has become a lucrative business in nigeria just like child trafficking. this beggers will find it more convenient to go far away from their home state and become commercial beggers. this things they cannot do in their home state cos of shame. its the duty of d host states to pull dis ppl off the streets and reunite them with their families where they can be better and adequately catered for. i will encourage all major cities to emulate this repatriation of destitute so as to discourage commercial street begging

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Samunique(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2013
Otseh: don't misunderstand me too, i said very soon from destitudes it will be anybody. it happened before when Lucky Igbinenedion sacked all workers that were not from edo state.
i understand u, but we shd not tribalise this, rather, let d Governors of the affected see it as a challenge, may be if they know d numbers of d destitudes and launatics in their states the will be ashamed and stop looting public money meant for people's welfare. That's my take.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 11:38am On Aug 06, 2013
many people have failed to realized that street begging has
become a lucrative business in nigeria just like child trafficking.
this beggers will find it more convenient to go far away from
their home state and become commercial beggers. this things
they cannot do in their home state cos of shame. its the duty of d
host states to pull dis ppl off the streets and reunite them with
their families where they can be better and adequately catered
for. i will encourage all major cities to emulate this repatriation
of destitute so as to discourage commercial street begging

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by SNOWWHITE240(m): 11:39am On Aug 06, 2013
oya let every state start repartrating non indegene we will now know that nigeria is not one
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Manlado: 11:42am On Aug 06, 2013
Our problem is predicated on a faulty constitution.

Citizenship..
State of origin
Local government of origin
Family yard or family of origin.

In the end, even those who were born and raised 10000 miles from there greatgrand father's village are associated forever.

Thinking that this would change merely by staying in a location forever would change that. Will be wrong.

Redefine what makes us Nigerians and abolish all these origin wahala, then we can move forward to address issues that affect mankind.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 11:43am On Aug 06, 2013
i will prefer my brothers or sisterss to be repatriated back to lagos than become a nuisance in another state. its more logical to reunite ppl with their family than watch them leeaving a miserable life in unbefiting conditions

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by SNOWWHITE240(m): 11:49am On Aug 06, 2013
it wil get to a time when we will need visa to enter another state i see nigeria disentegrating
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by naptu2: 11:53am On Aug 06, 2013
It happens across Nigeria and it happens across the world. The beggars are not just "deported" (and I'm not yet convinced that anybody was "deported" ), rather it's only those that choose not to go to the rehabilitation/skills acquisition centres, etc that are repatriated.

It's happened in Canada, the US, etc. Even the Federal Government practices it in Abuja. It's not unconstitutional if the repatriation is voluntary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_dIKj-uV0

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by hardbody: 11:59am On Aug 06, 2013
homesteady: Ok Let every state start sending back non indigene's to their various states na! Mtcheeew

BTW! This thread is just here to justify lagos deportation! LOL

Bros, look at the pic again. Those are real destitutes. They beg for a living. You don't equate those people with young agile men who are providing services by selling stuff in traffic after doing more than 100 meters dash in pursuit of faintly sighted interested patron in a moving car. No. The pic above are those to be sent back to where there are coming from and from their looks, we know where. But the cowards and their cowardly leader would rather look the other way and go for those who do not detonate bombs.

God has already started answering prayers and more will happen.....

Not that i wish anyone bad, you only reap what you sow, only that sometimes you reap bountifully. AMEN.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
homesteady: Ok Let every state start sending back non indigene's to their various states na! Mtcheeew

BTW! This thread is just here to justify lagos deportation! LOL
Over smoking of weeds like F.A.S.H.O.L.A dey worry you.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by naptu2: 12:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
I remember General Adisa's question way back in the '90s.

"You say we should leave them alone. You say we are violating their rights. How many of you will choose to go and live like that? How many of you will exchange places with them? How many of you will like to see your parents, your brothers and sisters, your children, living like that?"

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Bobby4090: 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2013
Fashola did not do his own with dignity. First of all he collected people from different states and dumped them in Anambra. And why dump them by 3am in the morning knowing fully well that the defenceless deportees could be attacked by criminals at that wee hour.

And why people got angry with Fashola is that after that, he thought he could shut up the ibos by refering to them as immigrants and threatning to seize their properties in Lagos. If not what does he Fashola mean by refering to ibos as "guests" who should not quarrel with their "hosts". There are ibos who were born in lagos. There are ibos whose grandfathers were born in Lagos and should be accorded the same right as a Tinubu whose parents are from Osun state.
They are not guests...They are Lagos-ibos.

What did Fashola mean by telling ibos that "there is a lot at stake here". Is he trying to remind the ibos that their properties and markets are much here so that they should be carefull or else it will be seized? Thats a most irresponsible statement. Very reckless in nature. The day he has that thought is the day he will go the ways of his old man who just left.

The world is watching and waiting. If the likes of Fashola and his supporters feel ibos are not welcome in Lagos then they should have kept neutral in the civil war (rather than use Awolowos starvation policy) so that the ibos will deal adequately with the Hausa which am sure was very possible. Now that they entered the war to keep Nigeria one...there is no going back. Ibos will remain in Lagos to flourish. End of Story!

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Erotex(m): 12:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
time for Nairaland to send their own destitute and lunatic packing #noharm
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by abacus(m): 12:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
Otseh: why can't nigeria be one? what is indigenes and non indigenes in the same country? i thought every nigerian has right to live in any part of the country of their choice, so why this repatration of non indigenes to their state? the one Fashola did has not settled, rivers followed. very soon, even normal people will be asked to go to their states. Another problem is on the way. GEJ shld act fast to stop this madness. many of us take citizenship of foreing countries but we are illegal allens in our own country.

To reunite with their families. Nut head go read the post again.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dabossman(m): 12:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
Manlado: Our problem is predicated on a faulty constitution.

Citizenship..
State of origin
Local government of origin
Family yard or family of origin.

In the end, even those who were born and raised 10000 miles from there greatgrand father's village are associated forever.

Thinking that this would change merely by staying in a location forever would change that. Will be wrong.

Redefine what makes us Nigerians and abolish all these origin wahala, then we can move forward to address issues that affect mankind.

And may the good Lord bless you. This has always been my take on that misnomer we call "State of Origin." Every form you want to fill in this country, they will ask "state of origin?". To register your SIM card, register your child in school, fill a medical form, even tax form, they will ask "state of origin?" Please what is the essence of such information? What has my state of origin got to do with my sim card? Do I pay taxes to my state of origin when I was born in Lagos, and have lived there most of my life? How does state of origin affect my medical records?

Why can't an Hausa or Ibo man be considered a Lagosian if he was born in Lagos and has lived there forever? Why can't a Yoruba boy in Kaduna claim that state as his home state?

Funny enough, our International Passport doesn't carry "State of Origin", but "place of Birth. That should tell us what is more important and where you origin truly is
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by EnigmAries(m): 12:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
Street begging and hawking is prohibited in most states in Nigeria, except of course, states in the core North.

Dr Bukola Saraki, the immediate past governor of Kwara state had on December 7, 2006, signed into law, the bill prohibiting street begging in the state.
also

In the FCT Street begging, trading and prostitution are prohibited under the AEPB Act of 1997 Section 35.
Lagos

conducting oneself in a manner likely to cause breach of public peace and collection of illegal dues from persons is an offence punishable under section 2 of the Illegal Collection of dues in public place law of Lagos State 2013.
Enugu State

Chime said 'begging is an offence against God and the law,' The governor told his audience that measures had been put in place to rid the streets of Enugu of the destitute.
He lamented the increase in street begging resulting from the influx of people into the state, noting that the law banning the practice was still in force.
Oyo State

Governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi has revealed the intention of his administration to hit hard against street begging, saying it has become an embarrassment to the state government. He thus warned that the street beggars must begin to either take advantage of the opportunity provided by the government or to move out of the state, as anyone arrested would face the law.

Elimination of state of origin and enthronement of state of residence would go a long way to cement relationship in the country, otherwise repatration of destitutes and beggars from state of residence to their states of origin remains legal.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by shinealight(m): 12:17pm On Aug 06, 2013
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by shineeye: 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
they are from Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Edo states
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Qc1(m): 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
I'm all for this! Unless Feds provide allocations for destitutes rehabilitations per state population, all states should follow suits. Time for true federalism.

Eko o'ni baje o !

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by shineeye: 12:20pm On Aug 06, 2013
jason123:

Since we don't have Igbo beggars, according to only truth and co; who exactly are these beggars from "neighboring" states? Hmmm.....
Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Edo states i no u are disappointed
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nebeuwa(m): 12:20pm On Aug 06, 2013
jason123:

IMO and Abia ....lol...it's time to go home. Although I love IMO peeps. It's those anambrans I want chased away

You do know that Rivers state neighbors Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom as well?

Who said that these people come from Imo or Abia with your annoying reasoning?
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nebeuwa(m): 12:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
Of course Amaechi would follow Fashola.

Both are equally wrong.

Because Lagos did it, does it make it right? No.

Because Rivers state did it, does it make it right? No.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by PStacks(m): 12:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
All hail Fashola the Pace Setter..

Fashola is 1st in every thing.

Fashola the Pace Setter.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
Nebeuwa: Of course Amaechi would follow Fashola.

Both are equally wrong.

The emboldened portion of your post is not necessarily true.

It is fact that our ultra-religious country has never been fair to the disenfranchised and dispossessed, and you know it.

Aug 27th, 2012

Still On Kid Beggars

Plastic bowls in hand, often chanting diverse shades of songs, growing number of kid beggars are roaming the streets of Port Harcourt in a manner that bothers residents of the Garden City. The number of child beggars has increased over the years with the bulk of them found at various locations in Port Harcourt.

At the inception of his administration on October 25, 2007, the Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, was seen arresting beggars on our roads and streets, sending them to rehabilitation camps. But observers say the project has failed because the government has not taken it seriously after then, hence beggars and their children have re-flooded the streets.

Read more

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by comrChris(m): 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
d fact remains our govt r d cause of dis begging n destitute evrywia 4preferin 2loot dan creatin job,some of dis pple do dis 2tek care of deir sibblings n parents @home n u wnt 2reunite dem wit d xame pple dey r tekn care off?our prob s politicianx nt dem pls
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by clint77ng: 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
veraponpo:

Fashola is a brilliant man that will never do anything illegal but our Igbo brothers & sisters have victim-reasoning mentality. Always claim to have suffered when nothing has happened. when the destitutes were sent to Oyo and Ogun states in 2011 my Igbo brothers said nice one, when Akwa Ibom sent 2 mentally derailed people to Lagos no complaint but when Lagos sent few miscreants out of over 4 million Igbos in lagos, they started crying.

ALWAYS LOOK FOR WHO TO BLAME FOR THEIR PROBLEMS

Tackle the issue and live the Igbos alone. Na igbo people matter go kill una. This trend is just to justify fasholas mistake. Even in the so called developed countries, there r lunatics and destitutes and the govt takes care of them. This is pure hatred.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by PStacks(m): 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2013
Nebeuwa: Of course Amaechi would follow Fashola.

Both are equally wrong.

Who decides what is right and what is wrong?

Right and wrong are relative from your own point of view as one man's meal is another man's poison and one man Terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.. Other state governors can't be embezzling funds ment to develope their states and have people come drain Lagos state funds... Fashola would not be held responsible because your state govt can't cater for you! Fashola has a lot of legitimate lagosians to cater for and illegitimate immigrants too, destitutes and beggers littering the streets is still fashola's headache.. Very soon, because of Bad governance, the whole nigeria would run to lagos to benefit from Fashola.. If Fashola is the Messiah, let's just say so instead of Wanting to over work the willing fashola horse. You people have seen a working governor and kuku want to kill him with work load of your non-performing governors..

If the Cap fits Fashola, take it From GEJ and hand it to Fashola so we kuku know fashola is the one in charge.. This one that Fashola is the one working and another person sits tight to take the glory is not acceptable.

Baba Fash, Fire on.. Eko o ni baje.
Rivers can take cue from the pace setter.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2013
Bobby4090: Fashola did not do his own with dignity. First of all he collected people from different states and dumped them in Anambra. And why dump them by 3am in the morning knowing fully well that the defenceless deportees could be attacked by criminals at that wee hour.

And why people got angry with Fashola is that after that, he thought he could shut up the ibos by refering to them as immigrants and threatning to seize their properties in Lagos. If not what does he Fashola mean by refering to ibos as "guests" who should not quarrel with their "hosts". There are ibos who were born in lagos. There are ibos whose grandfathers were born in Lagos and should be accorded the same right as a Tinubu whose parents are from Osun state.
They are not guests...They are Lagos-ibos.

What did Fashola mean by telling ibos that "there is a lot at stake here". Is he trying to remind the ibos that their properties and markets are much here so that they should be carefull or else it will be seized? Thats a most irresponsible statement. Very reckless in nature. The day he has that thought is the day he will go the ways of his old man who just left.

The world is watching and waiting. If the likes of Fashola and his supporters feel ibos are not welcome in Lagos then they should have kept neutral in the civil war (rather than use Awolowos starvation policy) so that the ibos will deal adequately with the Hausa which am sure was very possible. Now that they entered the war to keep Nigeria one...there is no going back. Ibos will remain in Lagos to flourish. End of Story!
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Qc1(m): 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2013
mayorhy:

You re not a destitute or a lunatic today,who knows tomorrow!

^^^ grin

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Qc1(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2013
mayorhy:

You re not a destitute or a lunatic today,who knows tomorrow!

^^^ grin Are you praying for this, you've got me all twisted with your ideology! shocked
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by LBT: 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
Mr Aboki: Please let them deport all those Abokis at D-line and Borokiri.

All the Imo State People in Rivers State as well, especially those at the International Airport.

All those Fulani beggers with their children from Waterlines and Aba Road.

All those Yoruba Taxi Drivers and their crappy cars..

The post stated that they are from neighbouring state and you still posted your version! Ok this mine, no wahala, let the west deport every none natives driving crappy commercial cars, hawking on our streets, those who sleep in stalls, those looking for fast one at the sea port and airport, likewise people drinking excessive ogogoro ; then we will see who feels the impact most.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by shinealight(m): 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2013

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jonathan, IBB, Shagari Absent At Council Of State Meeting / Rape: Osun Begins Martial Arts Training For women / Ngọzi Eziulo, Ebonyi Lawker Denied Salary For 12 Months For Refusal To Join APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.