Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another (18972 Views)

President Buhari Plans Another Trip To South Africa / Bancorp Bank In The United States Plans To Return Rotimi Amaechi’s $757 Million / Kano Returns 52 Beggars To Home States. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by onuwaje(m): 12:45pm On Aug 06, 2013
This is good news... U need to see how they cause nuisance at uniport junction(choba),rumukoro,rumuola ETC... Good riddance by government amaechi

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 12:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
Bobby4090: Fashola did not do his own with dignity. First of all he collected people from different states and dumped them in Anambra. And why dump them by 3am in the morning knowing fully well that the defenceless deportees could be attacked by criminals at that wee hour.

And why people got angry with Fashola is that after that, he thought he could shut up the ibos by refering to them as immigrants and threatning to seize their properties in Lagos. If not what does he Fashola mean by refering to ibos as "guests" who should not quarrel with their "hosts". There are ibos who were born in lagos. There are ibos whose grandfathers were born in Lagos and should be accorded the same right as a Tinubu whose parents are from Osun state.
They are not guests...They are Lagos-ibos.

What did Fashola mean by telling ibos that "there is a lot at stake here". Is he trying to remind the ibos that their properties and markets are much here so that they should be carefull or else it will be seized? Thats a most irresponsible statement. Very reckless in nature. The day he has that thought is the day he will go the ways of his old man who just left.

The world is watching and waiting. If the likes of Fashola and his supporters feel ibos are not welcome in Lagos then they should have kept neutral in the civil war (rather than use Awolowos starvation policy) so that the ibos will deal adequately with the Hausa which am sure was very possible. Now that they entered the war to keep Nigeria one...there is no going back. Ibos will remain in Lagos to flourish. End of Story!

let me enlightene u incase you dnt knw:
nigeria's constitution recognises;
1) state of origin
2) local govt of origin
3) ethnicity
4) home town.

as long as the constitutn still recognises the above stated lists. people can be repatriated to their home state for some reasons.
yes we all are nigerians we can decide to live in any state of nigeria, but under a condition which is respecting the laws of the host state.
not all yorubas are indigenes of lagos while all ibos & hausas cannot claim to be lagos indigene from the ethnic perspectives.
yeah igbos in lagos can call themselves lagosians, so also hausas and other nigerian ethnic groups( igbo lagosians,hausa lagosians,edo lagosians,fulani lagosians,ijaw lagosian et al)
i Samson Dos-santos toriola being a lagos indigene cannot go to anambra, imo, abia, enugu and claim state bursary in those places, cos i can never be recognised there as one of them.
lets be sincere with our selves at all times and stop being sentimental in our judgement of issues

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by ckkris: 12:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
dabossman:

And may the good Lord bless you. This has always been my take on that misnomer we call "State of Origin." Every form you want to fill in this country, they will ask "state of origin?". To register your SIM card, register your child in school, fill a medical form, even tax form, they will ask "state of origin?" Please what is the essence of such information? What has my state of origin got to do with my sim card? Do I pay taxes to my state of origin when I was born in Lagos, and have lived there most of my life? How does state of origin affect my medical records?

Why can't an Hausa or Ibo man be considered a Lagosian if he was born in Lagos and has lived there forever? Why can't a Yoruba boy in Kaduna claim that state as his home

Because when Zik won election to become Premier of Western Nigeria, Awolowo chased him out of the West, to return to Onitsha, and be Premier of Eastern Region. Since then, ONE NIGERIA was aborted before Independence in 1960.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by clint77ng: 12:59pm On Aug 06, 2013
As if destitutes and lunatics are our problem. The evil and satanic deportation by the LSG from every point of view is bore out of hatred.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by 0monna: 1:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
ckkris:
Because when Zik won election to become Premier of Western Nigeria, Awolowo chased him out of the West, to return to Onitsha, and be Premier of Eastern Region. Since then, ONE NIGERIA was aborted before Independence in 1960.
The reason Zik was chased out was because he lost the vote not "election" to be Premier. In the Parliamentary system you are elected as a legislator and it is the legislators who vote in Premiers NOT the electorate. The legislators who were almost entirely Yorubas voted for Zik not Awo. That is the nature of Parliamentary politics
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by LBT: 1:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
Bobby4090: Fashola did not do his own with dignity. First of all he collected people from different states and dumped them in Anambra. And why dump them by 3am in the morning knowing fully well that the defenceless deportees could be attacked by criminals at that wee hour.

And why people got angry with Fashola is that after that, he thought he could shut up the ibos by refering to them as immigrants and threatning to seize their properties in Lagos. If not what does he Fashola mean by refering to ibos as "guests" who should not quarrel with their "hosts". There are ibos who were born in lagos. There are ibos whose grandfathers were born in Lagos and should be accorded the same right as a Tinubu whose parents are from Osun state.
They are not guests...They are Lagos-ibos.

What did Fashola mean by telling ibos that "there is a lot at stake here". Is he trying to remind the ibos that their properties and markets are much here so that they should be carefull or else it will be seized? Thats a most irresponsible statement. Very reckless in nature. The day he has that thought is the day he will go the ways of his old man who just left.

The world is watching and waiting. If the likes of Fashola and his supporters feel ibos are not welcome in Lagos then they should have kept neutral in the civil war (rather than use Awolowos starvation policy) so that the ibos will deal adequately with the Hausa which am sure was very possible. Now that they entered the war to keep Nigeria one...there is no going back. Ibos will remain in Lagos to flourish. End of Story!
ibos are always welcome in the west because we inter marry, have friend and business associates amongst them but the problem is that you people like picking on us at every opportunity which my people are feed up with; what did you people do when Anambra Ordered the Arrest Of Child Beggars?
Check this out I got from a link,
Submitted by LEADERSHIP EDITORS on December 4, 2011 - 10:52am

Imported User:

DAVID-CHYDDY ELEKE

The Anambra state government has issued a warning to all street beggars, especially children used by their parents to beg for alms, to vacate the streets or be arrested. 

29 of such women who displayed their children as strategy for getting alms have already been arrested in Awka and Onitsha, and repatriated to their home states; Ebonyi and Akwa Ibom states.

The state commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Dr. Ego Cordelia Uzoezie, disclosed Friday in Awka when a middle-aged woman was arrested for begging with nine children at various points in Awka.

Uzoezie said her attention was drawn to the spectacle when one of the children who begged at the Unizik junction, Awka, six-year-old Goodnews Sunday, was hit in the jaw by an Okada rider, while he begged.  

Uzoezie decried the attitude of some parents who used their  children to beg for alms, and warned that after 72 hours any beggar seen in the state would be arrested by the law enforcement agents and the special task force of the ministry of women affairs and social development.

News

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 06, 2013
clint77ng: As if destitutes and lunatics are our problem. The evil and satanic deportation by the LSG from every point of view is bore out of hatred.

Stick with facts, not emotions. If you keep doing this you won't pass your WAEC and Jamb, and you might get deported as well.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 1:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
clint77ng: Tackle the issue and live the Igbos alone. Na igbo people matter go kill una. This trend is just to justify fasholas mistake. Even in the so called developed countries, there r lunatics and destitutes and the govt takes care of them. This is pure hatred.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dossantos1: 1:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
clint77ng: Tackle the issue and live the Igbos alone. Na igbo people matter go kill una. This trend is just to justify fasholas mistake. Even in the so called developed countries, there r lunatics and destitutes and the govt takes care of them. This is pure hatred.

if the igbos had tackled the issue and not expressing their hatred for yorubas by playing the ethnic card, this brouhaha wouldnt have degenerated to this level. we yorubas now knw the average igbos hates us to the bone despite all the love wee have always shown. may God help nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dabossman(m): 1:17pm On Aug 06, 2013
ckkris:

And even if your assertion were correct, which with all due respect I doubt, how many years has it been since 1960, and how many governments have we had since then, democratic and otherwise. Next we'll blame the British. Truth is selfish agendas are at the root of the problem.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by achi4u(m): 1:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
what a wicked generation!

Call this ppl, settle them and give them life.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by dozai: 1:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
Whoever raised this topic is lying big time. I live very close to slaughter. Telling u these beggars still lined up on the bridge as usual. Which time were they sent home. Same thing at artillery bus stop.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
Gradual manifestation of the United state prediction on the disintegration of NIGERIA BY 2015... na like play like play butterfly dey take enter bush!
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 06, 2013
ba7man: This relocation of destitutes to their States of Origin has been on-going for long in other States but when Fashola carried it out, some people got emotional and cried foul over it(Most likely due to immaturity, hate, ignorance, st0pidity and Cheap Political shots).

This has led to the opening of can of worms of different states that have carried out this same move.

The only thing they now have to hold on to is "They were dropped off at 3am in the morning".

We now know who's been st0pid all along.

Your assertion is called the fallacy of "tu quoque." In Nigerian parlance, it is called "you nko?" It is also known as pot calling kettle black argument. This is a red herring in which you use ad hominem attack to justify your atrocious behavior. According to you, it is okay for Fashola to deport sorry, I mean reunite e em "destitute" with their family at Onitsha head bridge at 4 am because other governors have done it and he he has done it to others too,

My friend your logic is absurd. No Nigerian should be deported or forcibly "reunited " with their family against their wish. There is no justifiable reason why any Nigerian "destitute"or rich should be abducted and forcibly relocated to wherever. It does not matter your tribe and no matter how you look at it, Fashola's conduct is not only unconstitutional, it is also morally reprehensible.

Did Fashola have tribal animus when he deported his "destitute?" I doubt it! I believe that Fashola's motive is more bougousie than anything else. He does not want poor people in Lagos therefore being a destitute is now a criminal act. He should be ashamed of himself for declaring a class war in Lagos which has now led to tribal war online.

Okay folks we are entering a slippery slope. Lets see how this is gonna end up. Today it is the "destitute," yesterday it was the "Fulani herdsmen" in Delta. Who is next? Lets see how this will play out! The fact is that with what is going on, any Nigerian could be abducted, labelled and deported. Those who are applauding this type of nonsensical action especially the Yoruba should be careful what they ask for because they may get it.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
Promhize: Let's go there. Hausas will suffer pass.
fashola caused this, and the dumb governor of rivers deemed it fit to follow suit. We really have dumb people ruling us

fools like you are not expected to comment on a social media. Fashola caused what?where were you when Akwa Ibom,Anambra did it. or perhaps you were on exile when Abia sacked non indigenes from his civil service.
Be objective for once.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by 0monna: 2:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
omonuan:

Your assertion is called the fallacy of "tu quoque." In Nigerian parlance, it is called "you nko?" It is also known as pot calling kettle black argument. This is a red herring in which you use ad hominem attack to justify your atrocious behavior. According to you, it is okay for Fashola to deport sorry, I mean reunite e em "destitute" with their family at Onitsha head bridge at 4 am because other governors have done it and he he has done it to others too,

My friend your logic is absurd. No Nigerian should be deported or forcibly "reunited " with their family against their wish. There is no justifiable reason why any Nigerian "destitute"or rich should be abducted and forcibly relocated to wherever. It does not matter your tribe and no matter how you look at it, Fashola's conduct is not only unconstitutional, it is also morally reprehensible.

Did Fashola have tribal animus when he deported his "destitute?" I doubt it! I believe that Fashola's motive is more bougousie than anything else. He does not want poor people in Lagos therefore being a destitute is now a criminal act. He should be ashamed of himself for declaring a class war in Lagos which has now led to tribal war online.

Okay folks we are entering a slippery slope. Lets see how this is gonna end up. Today it is the "destitute," yesterday it was the "Fulani herdsmen" in Delta. Who is next? Lets see how this will play out! The fact is that with what is going on, any Nigerian could be abducted, labelled and deported. Those who are applauding this type of nonsensical action especially the Yoruba should be careful what they ask for because they may get it.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/142192-throwback-anambra-govt-arrests-repatriates-beggars-to-akwa-ibom-ebonyi.html

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by 0monna: 2:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by ba7man(m): 2:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
omonuan:

Senator Patrick Obahiagbon's younger brother, If you can't explain it simple enough, you don't understand what you're talking about.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by sylve11: 2:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
Mr Aboki: Please let them deport all those Abokis at D-line and Borokiri.

All the Imo State People in Rivers State as well, especially those at the International Airport.

All those Fulani beggers with their children from Waterlines and Aba Road.

All those Yoruba Taxi Drivers and their crappy cars..

grin grin grin cool
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Osgilliat(m): 2:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
they keep shouting Nigeria is a barren land yet they keep having babies. in my own perspective I think they are selfish because they never think about the welfare of their babies before making them.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
Syenite:

Are u sure u are sane? Seun please deport this guy from nairaland.
Ori iya e baje. Come & deport me. U knw dey fear senior members for dz site.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by ENEONWO(m): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2013
Nairalanders are just too gullible. We simply jump into commenting on every lie fed us by faceless elements. I live in Port Harcourt and i can authoritatively declare that there is no such thing in Port Harcourt. When i read the post, i had to move from Obigbo area through Aba road to Lagos bus stop areas, Mile 1, through Ikwerre Road to Rumuokoro, Garrison through Trans Amadi/Slaughter axis to 2nd Artillery. Am now going to Uniport from Rumuodara Junction through East West Road, yet i have seen dozens of destitutes/beggars in their normal positions, doing their thing without any harrassment. I also saw many of the popular madmen/women in their areas. I have called friends living in the areas i didnt visit, but they confirmed that the news is a complete falsehood. If it were true, many newspapers would have carried it.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by orobopasiosio(m): 3:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
[quote
author=Delafruita]while the rivers indigenes in other parts may be
potential dey-bams and dey-wells.

this practise is wrong on all levels.its a violation of the fundamental
rights of these people to move freely within their country.[/quote]

this reminds me of "beggars strike" a literature book i read during secondary school days.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by ebankole: 3:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
This is an opportunity to hold every state Gov accountable for their performance rather than view these as hatred towards another.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by eastOFwest(m): 3:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
alj harem:

I guess you missed "neighbouring states" which means likes of baylsea, imo, abia, anambra and Co. no northern or western state

I guess you've never stepped out of Lagos-ibadan before? Neighbouring states to rivers are bayelsa, akwa ibom, cross rivers, IMO and abia!!!
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Afroconnect: 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2013
Let the dumb abokis take care of their people,abi them sabi born like cows.
Lagos state governor,too many beggars on the foot bridge these days,deport them back to their criminal governors.
Aboki are a disgrace to Nigeria...breeding beggars.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by abikubu: 3:34pm On Aug 06, 2013
Otseh: why can't nigeria be one? what is indigenes and non indigenes in the same country? i thought every nigerian has right to live in any part of the country of their choice, so why this repatration of non indigenes to their state? the one Fashola did has not settled, rivers followed. very soon, even normal people will be asked to go to their states. Another problem is on the way. GEJ shld act fast to stop this madness. many of us take citizenship of foreing countries but we are illegal allens in our own country.

Just to show you how morally bankrupt some of our leaders are. Rather than tackling armed robbers, kidnappers and other armed groups terrorizing citizens and making certain sections of their cities dangerous, they pick on the sick and weak in society for their warped sense of 'cleaning' their cities. When people are sick, government is supposed to provide facilities for their rehabilitation and not deport them to some assumed state of origin. This is the height of tribalism and xenophobia.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Afroconnect: 3:35pm On Aug 06, 2013
dozai: Whoever raised this topic is lying big time. I live very close to slaughter. Telling u these beggars still lined up on the bridge as usual. Which time were they sent home. Same thing at artillery bus stop.
begging is a curse,never encourage begging.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Afroconnect: 3:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
Qc-1:

I'm all for this! Unless Feds provide allocations for destitutes rehabilitations per state population, all states should follow suits. Time for true federalism.

Eko o'ni baje o !

Beggars are a nuiscance to themselves and society,all of you saying people should be allowed to migrate and go beg are foolish,either you come from the village or you are a beggar.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by antartica(m): 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
LOVE.HAPPINESS:

^^^^^^^

You have a good point, but now we know that this policy has nothing to do with tribe.

I hope the moderators see fit to put this on the front page so that we can all have cooler heads.

It could mean the indigenous PH people feel threatened by the ibos too?Most of the high profile names from that area sounds ibo,i.e,amaechi,chime and co.
Re: Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
ENEONWO: Nairalanders are just too gullible. We simply jump into commenting on every lie fed us by faceless elements. I live in Port Harcourt and i can authoritatively declare that there is no such thing in Port Harcourt. When i read the post, i had to move from Obigbo area through Aba road to Lagos bus stop areas, Mile 1, through Ikwerre Road to Rumuokoro, Garrison through Trans Amadi/Slaughter axis to 2nd Artillery. Am now going to Uniport from Rumuodara Junction through East West Road, yet i have seen dozens of destitutes/beggars in their normal positions, doing their thing without any harrassment. I also saw many of the popular madmen/women in their areas. I have called friends living in the areas i didnt visit, but they confirmed that the news is a complete falsehood. If it were true, many newspapers would have carried it.

Since you consider every other commentator gullible, I dare you to make good your limited aptitude by covering every possible nook and cranny in PH to ensure your field observations are scientifically valid grin grin grin

Aug 27th, 2012

Still On Kid Beggars

Plastic bowls in hand, often chanting diverse shades of songs, growing number of kid beggars are roaming the streets of Port Harcourt in a manner that bothers residents of the Garden City. The number of child beggars has increased over the years with the bulk of them found at various locations in Port Harcourt.

At the inception of his administration on October 25, 2007, the Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, was seen arresting beggars on our roads and streets, sending them to rehabilitation camps. But observers say the project has failed because the government has not taken it seriously after then, hence beggars and their children have re-flooded the streets.

Read more

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Calls Adamu Fika From London Over His Wife's Death / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts President Buhari's Supporter On Twitter, See What She Said / Fuel Price Hike: Depot Owners, Marketers Rake In N4.2bn Extra Profit In 3 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.