Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? (48476 Views)

The Electrical Installation Of A Proposed 3 Bed Room Block Of 6 Flats.. / How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat. / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:44pm On Aug 16, 2013
Out of all my workers, the most senior supervisor, the first employee to the Spyder/Ckenneths homes business and a reliable friend is the man on ground to supervise this site for me.

He will be taking his young wife to the alter tomorrow, the rest of the team in this site will have to drop their work clothes, don some neat suits and walk to church tomorrow to give thanks to God. I hope to be there also.

Because of this we might not work in this site on Saturday and Sunday. Work resumes here from Monday next week.

This is to wish him a very happy married life and God's blessings.

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by mufutau55(m): 11:30pm On Aug 16, 2013
^^^^^
Good luck to the lucky man and the lucky lady.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by Fhemmmy: 1:31pm On Aug 19, 2013
I wanna learning, thanks for the continuous teaching
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 5:59am On Aug 20, 2013
Work continues here today, we got wood and other materials to this site yesterday. Conctere casting is set to start for foundation pillars. But we are already moving for filling sand. I might have to fill this foundation with sharp sand, they are more readily available here in Enugu.

Our plan is to cast this German floor and start the walling by this weekend, more pictures later.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by kopell: 12:54pm On Aug 20, 2013
@professor Spyder senior supervisor, welcome to Married men club. My little advice for you. Spyder you have to cut back on the Oga supervisor overtime now and give him better raise in salary. Senior supervisor no more clubs, get home earl, make sure you alway eat wife food ooh now that you're merry. God bless your union Ameen.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by mufutau55(m): 2:44pm On Aug 20, 2013
kopell: @professor Spyder senior supervisor, welcome to Married men club. My little advice for you. Spyder you have to cut back on the Oga supervisor overtime now and give him better raise in salary. Senior supervisor no more clubs, get home earl, make sure you alway eat wife food ooh now that you're merry. God bless your union Ameen.

Uncle Kopell, you got it wrong.. It's not Spyder who got married, it's one of his employee, the senior Oga next to Spyder.. I am sure Spyder is married even before I was born. smiley

Hajji Mufutau
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by kopell: 4:23pm On Aug 20, 2013
Spyder marry before you where born? Lol it's all fine ooh anyway you interpret my English, I hope my massage get to both of them sha.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by mufutau55(m): 4:51pm On Aug 20, 2013
kopell: Spyder marry before you where born? Lol

LOL! smiley

Hajji Mufutau
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 5:56pm On Aug 20, 2013
kopell: Spyder marry before you where born? Lol it's all fine ooh anyway you interpret my English, I hope my massage get to both of them sha.

cheesy grin Madam just called me some minutes ago, today is the 10th anniversary of my marriage! It seems like just yesterday...... thank God for her.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 5:57pm On Aug 20, 2013
Work moving on smoothly here today, more pictures later.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by Fhemmmy: 6:04pm On Aug 20, 2013
spyder880: Work moving on smoothly here today, more pictures later.

Eyes are itchy
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by mufutau55(m): 6:41pm On Aug 20, 2013
spyder880:

cheesy grin Madam just called me some minutes ago, today is the 10th anniversary of my marriage! It seems like just yesterday...... thank God for her.

Behind a succesful man is a good woman. Congrats. Not every man can say good things about their wife of 10 years.
Just as good as you are in Build Constructions, so are you as a husband and father.. Simply put.

Hajji Mufutau

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
Block work of this foundation all done and dusted....... all pillars also cast and standing.......

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:32pm On Aug 22, 2013
some filling work is going on right now, only that we are in short supply of filling sand, tomorrow I am going to attack this site with 5 good trucks going to fetch filling sand repeatedly till this foundation is filled.

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:34pm On Aug 22, 2013
I will fill this foundation with fresh sharp sand.

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:36pm On Aug 22, 2013
Meanwhile, this is the portion we have filled already with sharp sand.

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:58pm On Aug 22, 2013
mufutau55:

Behind a succesful man is a good woman. Congrats. Not every man can say good things about their wife of 10 years.
Just as good as you are in Build Constructions, so are you as a husband and father.. Simply put.

Hajji Mufutau

The only word that can describe that girl is ANGEL. Simple and short.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by Fhemmmy: 11:47pm On Aug 22, 2013
Pix oh

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by mufutau55(m): 12:48am On Aug 23, 2013
Fhemmmy: Pix oh

I think we got problem on Nairaland... I just upgraded my Adobe Flash Player thinking that was the cause,
since this computer is only few weeks old.. But still nada... No pix, no fun learning.. Sight and sound needed.
It's like watching the old movies without sound...

Hajji Mufutau
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by Fhemmmy: 1:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
mufutau55:

I think we got problem on Nairaland... I just upgraded my Adobe Flash Player thinking that was the cause,
since this computer is only few weeks old.. But still nada... No pix, no fun learning.. Sight and sound needed.
It's like watching the old movies without sound...

Hajji Mufutau

You are very right, had same issue on my Auto thread . . . Thanks it has been fixed
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You are very right, had same issue on my Auto thread . . . Thanks it has been fixed

I thank God.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 2:43pm On Aug 23, 2013
Serious sand filling ongoing here, trucks arriving and offloading.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 9:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
More than 10 trips of sand delivered to this site today, filling of the foundation all done, we are starting the watering process before the ramming tomorrow. We intend to finish casting the DPC before the end f the week. Block wall partitioning starts very soon as we are set to start getting more blocks.
More pictures tonight.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:26pm On Aug 26, 2013
more filling done in this completed foundation

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
filled, waiting for watering.......

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 10:30pm On Aug 26, 2013
some of the places we filled last week has started sinking,

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by kopell: 11:27pm On Aug 26, 2013
@Spyder what is the difference between filling DPC with sharp sand or mud orange sand. Which one is more cost effective between both?
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 11:42pm On Aug 26, 2013
kopell: @Spyder what is the difference between filling DPC with sharp sand or mud orange sand. Which one is more cost effective between both?

The difference is the type of sand, I am one of the builders who prefer to fill my foundation with clean sharp sand. It makes for a better finish for the building as sharp sand does not have the elastic qualities of clay which may make it contract or expand with different seasonal changes, creating cracks. Sharp sand does not sink as other sands do. The moisture retention capability of sharp sand is very low, as air easily penetrates sharp sand more than other types of soil.

In Enugu sharp sand is very cheap, a normal tipper load of sharp sand sells for about N7000 while red soil sells for a little less. I took the decision to buy the sharp sand, but dont try this in Port Harcourt or other places where sand sells for N25,000 or more cheesy
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by mufutau55(m): 11:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
spyder880:

The difference is the type of sand, I am one of the builders who prefer to fill my foundation with clean sharp sand. It makes for a better finish for the building as sharp sand does not have the elastic qualities of clay which may make it contract or expand with different seasonal changes, creating cracks. Sharp sand does not sink as other sands do. The moisture retention capability of sharp sand is very low, as air easily penetrates sharp sand more than other types of soil.

In Enugu sharp sand is very cheap, a normal tipper load of sharp sand sells for about N7000 while red soil sells for a little less. I took the decision to buy the sharp sand, but dont try this in Port Harcourt or other places where sand sells for N25,000 or more cheesy

OK.. Spyder. Let's forget about the cost for now.. You are saying using sharp sand is actually better than laterite sand for filling?
We novice just want to know.. Thanks.

Mufutau
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 12:00am On Aug 27, 2013
mufutau55:

OK.. Spyder. Let's forget about the cost for now.. You are saying using sharp sand is actually better than laterite sand for filling?
We novice just want to know.. Thanks.

Mufutau

Yes, I believe it is.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by diordaves(m): 12:18am On Aug 27, 2013
Do you think back-filling with sharp sand (course sand) is an excellent idea structurally ? Sharp sand is known to throw-up huge challenges and issues with compacting due to its shifting nature and water drainage (capillary action). You will struggle to get that foundation soil to compact which may mean a thicker slab (German Floor)Or is a well compact soil not a good start for an effective DPC and German floor? or is it Enugu topography?

When we dig building foundation and we encounter sharp sand; we are normally advised to keep digging until we encounter the soil type that is stable enough to take the weight of the building. Kindly explain your confidence why you think sharp sand is stable enough to take your slab (German Floor).

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Build A Block Of 6 Flats In Enugu? by spyder880(m): 6:04am On Aug 27, 2013
diordaves: Do you think back-filling with sharp sand (course sand) is an excellent idea structurally ? Sharp sand is known to throw-up huge challenges and issues with compacting due to its shifting nature and water drainage (capillary action). You will struggle to get that foundation soil to compact which may mean a thicker slab (German Floor)Or is a well compact soil not a good start for an effective DPC and German floor? or is it Enugu topography?

When we dig building foundation and we encounter sharp sand; we are normally advised to keep digging until we encounter the soil type that is stable enough to take the weight of the building. Kindly explain your confidence why you think sharp sand is stable enough to take your slab (German Floor).

Thank you Diordaves for those valid points but I think we are talking about two different situations here. The question I answered was whether sharp sand is a more suitable material for back-filling a foundation, of which I gave a positive answer.

What I think you are describing is whether sharp sand is a better soil for the load bearing of a house, of which you rightly pointed out that it is not. Refer to the first few pictures of this foundation and see that the topography of this site, and most of Enugu town is sitting on a rocky crust, not sharp sand.

Now lets talk about the shifting qualities of sharp sand, only sharp sand on the surface can shift, like the beach cheesy you cannot exert a vertical pressure on sharp sand contained inside a foundation. The sharp sand, when poured into a foundation, held in place by the foundation walls cannot compress any further, the trick is the coarseness. Water, or other weather agents like air cannot affect the sharp sand inside a foundation. Sharp sand is permeable to air and water but hardly compresses downwards.

We have done so many experiments on this before, but I want you to try it,fill a metal bucket, or a soak away pit for instance with sharp sand, now pour enough quantities of water into it and try to make it compress,you will notice that the level will always remain the same.
Try it in a foundation also, sharp sand does not have any vertical compression qualities because it is coarse. Other soil types are elastic, and so can settle deeper with the movement of water. Thank you Sir.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Lady Laments As Flood Takes Over Her Street Where She Pays N4 Million A Year As / Man's House In Jakande, Lekki Flooded (Photo) / 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.