Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 (56508 Views)

38-year-old Man On A Queue Slumps And Dies At A Polling Unit In Bauchi / Ondo Lawmaker, Nomiye, Slumps And Dies / Olusegun Agagu To Be Buried October 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Alxmyr(m): 10:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
Agagu slumps, dies at 65

A former Governor of Ondo State, Dr Olusegun Agagu, is dead. He was aged 65.

Agagu, who returned from the US on Thursday, reportedly slumped in Ikoyi, where he was having a meeting with Ondo indigenes, on Friday evening.

Agagu’s former Chief Press Secretary, Yemi Olowolabi, said the former governor was not sick and had just returned from a 20-day trip abroad.

Olowolabi, who worked with him for more than four years, described his former boss as “a great man, a first-class intellectual and an astute administrator.”

Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, described the death of his predecessor as shocking, adding that Ondo has lost a colossus, whose vacuum would be difficult to fill.

Mimiko said, “He would be remembered as a consummate politician and lecturer, who imparted knowledge to many people across the world.”

Former Governor of Ogun State, Segun Osoba, told Saturday PUNCH on telephone that Agagu was very respectful.

He said, “I got to know him when he was deputy to former governor of old Ondo State, Bamidele Olomilua. He carried himself with dignity. He was loyal to Olomilua during the days of the Social Democratic Party. Agagu should rest in peace.”

In his reaction, former governor of Oyo State, Adebayo Alao-Akala, described Agagu’s death as shocking.

He said, “It is sad. He came back from abroad yesterday with his wife. They were having a meeting with Ondo State people. Alex Akinyele was there. He slumped. It is shocking, devastating. We will all miss him. I can’t believe he will just die.”

Agagu’s schoolmate at the University of Ibadan, Senator Olu Alabi, who is a former Governing Board Chairman, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, said, “We were together in UI. We co-funded United Nigerian Congress Party and the Peoples Democratic Party. I don’t know what to tell his wife, Funke.”

Member, PDP Board of Trustees, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, said: “This is tragic news. I’m shattered. He never held grudges.”

Director of Publicity, Ondo PDP, Mr Ayodele Fadaka, who broke down in tears over the phone, described the death of the late geologist as great loss to Ondo and Nigeria.

It was gathered that he ate lunch at home in Ikoyi before heading for a meeting on Lagos mainland, where he slumped.

Subsequently, he was rushed to a private hospital in Yaba but he was transferred to Military Hospital, Ikoyi, where he was pronounced dead.

His corpse was still at the military hospital as at the time of filing this report.

http://www.punchng.com/news/agagu-slumps-dies-at-65/

May his soul rest in peace.

4 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by larricole(m): 10:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
Someone close to them just told me that too(in canada)

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by coolgb(m): 10:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
I just heard that too. Hope its not true
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by MizEmerald(f): 10:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
A friend updated it also that he slumped and died and she told me to believe it as if she was there,I still want to remain a doubting Thomas,Agagu with his sexy lips.

4 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by afolabisegun(m): 11:00pm On Sep 13, 2013
ya gone
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by donfemzy: 11:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
RIP baba
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Ohibenemma(m): 11:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
God rest his soul...
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by euromoney(f): 11:18pm On Sep 13, 2013
Confirmed....he passed on 3 hrs ago.May he RIP! angry angry
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Alxmyr(m): 11:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
Olusegun Kokumo Agagu (born 16 February 1948) was Governor of Ondo State in Nigeria from 29 May 2003 until February 2009, when a court voided his re-election as governor on account of electoral irregularities. He was replaced as governor of Ondo State by Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, his arch political rival based on a court injunction. His name, Olusegun, means "God is victorious".[3] He is a member of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP).

Educational Background

He commenced his elementary education at St. Luke’s Anglican School, (now known as St. Paul’s Anglican School) Okitipupa, in 1954. In January 1958, he moved to live with his cousin, Edward Fagbohun in Ibadan, where he continued his primary education at Ebenezer African Church School, Oke-Ado, Ibadan. In 1959 he transferred to Kano in 1959 where he studied at the Ebenezer Methodist School and Baptist Primary School Sabon-Gari, Kano. He then moved back to Ebenezer African Church School, Ibadan where he completed his primary education in 1960. Thereafter, he was in Ibadan Grammar School between January 1961 and 1967 where he passed his West African School Certificate and the Higher School Certificate examinations. He was admitted to the University of Ibadan in 1968 to study Botany but later changed to Geology in which he graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons) degree in Second Class Upper Division, in 1971. As an undergraduate, his academic record was replete with laurels and prizes.
Agagu went to the University of Texas between 1973 and 1974 for his Masters degree in Geology. Returning to Nigeria, he obtained a Ph.D degree in Petroleum Geology from the University of Ibadan in 1978.

Career

Agagu was appointed by President Olusegun Obasanjo as his first minister of Aviation in 1999.
Once, while on a foreign trip, the people of Ondo received false reports of his death.
On 29 June 2006 President Olusegun Obasanjo commended him for the work he had done leading Ondo State, saying "You have taken time to plan. We have also seen that the execution of the plan is now showing results."
In September 2008 a Senate Ad-Hoc Committee investigating the Transportation Sector summoned Agagu and others as part of its probe of the entire transportation sector, to answer questions about his tenure as Minister of Aviation. On 5 March 2009 Agagu was questioned by the EFCC for Alleged N25Bn spent on OSOPADEC during his administration, while the new administration led by Governor Olusegun Mimiko also commenced probe of contracts awarded in the last six months of his administration.

10 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by fowowe411: 11:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
that's wat am hearing o hmmm nawa o I think we will know more tomorrow
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by ProfOgogoro: 11:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
RIP....

cool
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Davo93(m): 11:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
Chai! Death, why have you done this at this time?? why? why?? why? ?? cry RIP my amiable ex-governor...
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by engrfcuksmtin(m): 11:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ha

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by suxes2005(m): 11:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
RIP

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by sanandreas(m): 11:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
Na so e dey be oo. Politicians serve ur pple well. What will agagu be remembered for nairalanders?

6 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Frabidel(f): 11:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
Rip olusegun agagu. www.frabidel.com
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Double194(m): 11:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
Na Olusegun Obasanjo pikin??

2 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by xGun: 11:51pm On Sep 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by somtea(m): 11:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hw are d mighty fallen,life z not worth all d haSsle,.............new pdp members had berra port back ooo

2 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by coolsegun(m): 11:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
So he died just like that. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by henchamb(m): 12:07am On Sep 14, 2013
well I don't wana say RIP now and my oga at the top will say you wont RIP because of corruption. afterall he rigged election and was removed by court in 2009 by tsunami SALAMI. so why are saying all these goodies about his life.

12 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by nduchucks: 12:35am On Sep 14, 2013
Wow!! RIP.

What a shock, I met the man in Texas!!!

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji-un - Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return

11 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 14, 2013
RIP
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by ukpaku: 12:44am On Sep 14, 2013
RIP,oneThing is for, death respect nobody so hox u live ur life mater alot.

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by simpleseyi: 12:44am On Sep 14, 2013
One more down, many more to go. All those who are sucking the masses blood will go six feet under. Jonathan's half brother, Dame Sheppopotamus's adopted mother, IBB's deputy-Augustus Aikhomu, IBB's pilfering wife- Maryam Babangida, Stella Obasanjo, Gen Owoye Azazi, Patrick Yakowa, Fashola's father, Tinubu's mother (my grandmother is 107 and still playing basketball and karate), Sunday Afolabi (he died in prison when Obasanjo locked him up for embezzling National identity Card's money), Jesus-on-Earth - imPatient Jonathan - oh, sorry she woke up after about a week.

Agagu looted Ondo's state treasury while he was the state governor and even national treasury while he was federal minister, now he has transferred the loot to his children who probably were looting with him too. God has seen that we are too weak to fight for ourselves and he, GOD the almighty has started fighting for the poor masses. If you think that I should not speak bad of the dead, please tell me some good things I can say about Sanni Abacha or about Jonathan's jobless mother that "donated" buildings to the university or about Obasanjo that took bribe from Halliburton and converter Nigeria's treasury to his personal account or about James Ibori the Guinness Book prison record breaker (He, his wife, his mistress(another man's wife), his wife's sister and his lawyer all in jail) or Alao Akala or Gbenga Daniel or Rev. Fr. Moses Adasu who was a catholic priest, he became Benue state governor and rose to be richer than the state and thereafter borrowed his state some money because he loved his state or the immediate past Bayelsa state governor Timipre Sylva who bought/built 48 houses in Nigeria excluding the ones abroad in his 48 months rule as governor (another Guinness record) or the Jonathan Goodluck that uses one million naira to eat per meal but shut down all universities for several days now. What good can I say about these looters when they eventually kick the bucket or kick the drum.

194 Likes

Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by coalcoal1(m): 12:49am On Sep 14, 2013
R I P
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by Nobody: 12:52am On Sep 14, 2013
.Wow, what a suprise.Used to see him in Church in U. I some times ago
Re: Olusegun Agagu Slumps And Dies At 65 by stchinedu: 1:25am On Sep 14, 2013
simpleseyi: One more down, many more to go. All those who are sucking the masses blood will go six feet under. Jonathan's half brother, Dame Sheppopotamus's adopted mother, IBB's deputy-Augustus Aikhomu, IBB's pilfering wife- Maryam Babangida, Stella Obasanjo, Gen Owoye Azazi, Patrick Yakowa, Fashola's father, Tinubu's mother (my grandmother is 107 and still playing basketball and karate), Sunday Afolabi (he died in prison when Obasanjo locked him up for embezzling National identity Card's money), Jesus-on-Earth - imPatient Jonathan - oh, sorry she woke up after about a week.

Agagu looted Ondo's state treasury while he was the state governor and even national treasury while he was federal minister, now he has transferred the loot to his children who probably were looting with him too. God has seen that we are too weak to fight for ourselves and he, GOD the almighty has started fighting for the poor masses. If you think that I should not speak bad of the dead, please tell me some good things I can say about Sanni Abacha or about Jonathan's jobless mother that "donated" buildings to the university or about Obasanjo that took bribe from Halliburton and converter Nigeria's treasury to his personal account or about James Ibori the Guinness Book prison record breaker (He, his wife, his mistress(another man's wife), his wife's sister and his lawyer all in jail) or Alao Akala or Gbenga Daniel or Rev. Fr. Moses Adasu who was a catholic priest, he became Benue state governor and rose to be richer than the state and thereafter borrowed his state some money because he loved his state or the immediate past Bayelsa state governor Timipre Sylva who bought/built 48 houses in Nigeria excluding the ones abroad in his 48 months rule as governor (another Guinness record) or the Jonathan Goodluck that uses one million naira to eat per meal but shut down all universities for several days now. What good can I say about these looters when they eventually kick the bucket or kick the drum.
Please...ur village sent a message that their idiot is missing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash / Dino Melaye In ABU To Collect His Certificate (Photos) / Umahi Completes 5th Flyover In Ebonyi, 4 Others In Progress (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.