Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? (27172 Views)

Women’s Most Hated Pet Names / Pet Names And Phrases Guys Use On Girls And Girls Totally Detest / Pet Names You Call Your Spouse/ Fiance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by akhis: 10:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Mynd_44:
I just dey ooo my guy. You hear wetin that mad man talk for class?

are u all dwelling in the mist of mad people when mad men are been thought by mad lectures
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by PStacks(m): 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: I was just thinking, girls are allowed to call themselves pet names. Pet names not nick names. Nobody raises an eyebrow when a girl says to her fellow girl, 'hey hon', 'Sweetheart I missed you' or 'Babe I love your eyes'. Mind you, they are not lesbian partners. They are very straight.

A guy can't even compliment a fellow guy without people raising eyebrows. If a guy should just make the mistake of saying to a fellow guy, 'I like your eyes', everybody screams 'Gay Alert!!'

Why is this so?? undecided

It is so because that is exactly what it is no mincing words..
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by chuqudy(m): 11:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
Then why do men say my sweet Jesus, my darling Jesus I love you. I think human beings generally are confused set of creatures.

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by kandiikane(m): 11:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
Coefficient: The other day, my cousin's friend sent him a text and ended it with 'love you'. Told him to call the nigga back sharply to explain what that meant.
Dafuq is that shyte...huh? I can't for the life of me say that to my male friends!
Pet names? Yuck! Sorry, I'll pass!
No gay crap near me!

Na bromance tings be that
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by kandiikane(m): 11:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
Danhumprey: I agree with you,but I can't just contain the way they piss me ooff!

Abeg, just shut up!

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by elega(f): 11:26pm On Sep 15, 2013
So true. I remmember a coversation that ensued betwee two of my male colleagues at work; d first guy complimented d second guy's look ( inno u look handsome in dis top) and the next thing we heard from inno was: "kai gay ne" (hausa wor for: "are u gay"?
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by victorD3: 11:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
I call my best friend "Bad Guy" and he calls me "Italian".
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by Konjour(m): 11:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
Stop comparing the genders. All you'd sincerely be coming up against is a Cul-de-sac. Appreciate the way you've been created and revel in the knowledge that you're special. There is no simple explanation as to why Males behave like males, why females behave like females, moreover both genders don't share exactly the same hormones, even down to the molecular level of the chromosomes, the genders are not exactly identical, so let sleeping dogs lie. The same girls asking why Guys don't behave like girls would be the first to come on Nairaland and create a thread 'My Boyfriend, husband might be a gay...Help' when he really behaves like that. If you really wanna know why guys behave like guys, who better to find out from than the designer of their bodies?...(that is, if he would answer you). I've moved around a bit, and all the guys I've seen relate to themselves the same way, with the exception of gays. Bottom line: Know that the difference in the genders transcends their physical differences. Appreciate the diversity that the differences brings into the mix too, otherwise the World would be such a boring place if everyone were wired the same way.

2 Likes

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by soulglo: 12:02am On Sep 16, 2013
Danhumprey: I agree with you,but I can't just contain the way they piss me off!

For something that takes nothing away from you as a human being you seem to harbor a lot of anger. Protest much?

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by Ryda(m): 12:22am On Sep 16, 2013
Baybe: I was just thinking, girls are allowed to call themselves pet names. Pet names not nick names. Nobody raises an eyebrow when a girl says to her fellow girl, 'hey hon', 'Sweetheart I missed you' or 'Babe I love your eyes'. Mind you, they are not lesbian partners. They are very straight.

A guy can't even compliment a fellow guy without people raising eyebrows. If a guy should just make the mistake of saying to a fellow guy, 'I like your eyes', everybody screams 'Gay Alert!!'

Why is this so?? undecided

sharpt guys prefer you calling them rugged names rather than pet names...such as balo, badoo, capo, or u can even remix their real name.
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by Koninda(m): 12:39am On Sep 16, 2013
Mynd_44:
I just dey ooo my guy. You hear wetin that mad man talk for class?
Mad man,u 4get say ASUU dey on strike o na 4 ur dreams.....keep da faith.
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 16, 2013
onuawuchi: The reason is simple. It makes you gay. For me its acceptable to be lesbian, but being a homosexual is completely out of the equation.

I'm wondering who liked this post.

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by Wolef7(m): 12:49am On Sep 16, 2013
ZEALMAN: Eh eh! Memry things! This made Me to remb my days then in school! The best name I can call my friend is 'WEREY' I.e ' Mad man ' how far now! May It be on PHONE or Anywhere!! cheesy

You are right, the best u can get from the Guys ----- HOW FAR NA
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 16, 2013
GUYS PET NAME ARE.... JAGABAN, BADOO, ROSCO, SP00N, ORI EJO, SC0RPI0N, WOKO, FEMO, LEKUS0N, GODOGODO, KOKO MASTER, APAKO MASTER, RUGGEDY, EYIN EJO, ERIKINA, FIJANJA, THUNDER, OMI ATA, 7BULLETS, CHOKY, RISKY, LANREWA-JEW, ROCKY, OGBOLOGBO... U can help me add da remaining MASCULINE, SCARY, Bleeding PET NAMES... We have em plenty....DAGBORU gan is dia... Oya add more... OLAMYSTERIO is my pet name
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by write2obi(m): 1:39am On Sep 16, 2013
tbagjames: Some are using this thread to express themselves freely and make it look like a joke. Love you moderator...I just hope its a lady
Na fight be4?

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by emeka94(m): 1:39am On Sep 16, 2013
Coefficient: The other day, my cousin's friend sent him a text and ended it with 'love you'. Told him to call the nigga back sharply to explain what that meant.
Dafuq is that shyte...huh? I can't for the life of me say that to my male friends!
Pet names? Yuck! Sorry, I'll pass!
No gay crap near me!

mumu dey there the form americana. you are a disgrace to Nigeria swag and pidgin language. why do we like immidating nonsense? mass oh
mtchee.
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by write2obi(m): 1:45am On Sep 16, 2013
Konjour: Stop comparing the genders. All you'd sincerely be coming up against is a Cul-de-sac. Appreciate the way you've been created and revel in the knowledge that you're special. There is no simple explanation as to why Males behave like males, why females behave like females, moreover both genders don't share exactly the same hormones, even down to the molecular level of the chromosomes, the genders are not exactly identical, so let sleeping dogs lie. The same girls asking why Guys don't behave like girls would be the first to come on Nairaland and create a thread 'My Boyfriend, husband might be a gay...Help' when he really behaves like that. If you really wanna know why guys behave like guys, who better than to find out from that the designer of their bodies?...(that is, if he would answer you). I've moved around a bit, and all the guys I've seen relate to themselves the same way, with the exception of gays. Bottom line: Know that the difference in the genders transcends their physical differences. Appreciate the diversity that the differences brings into the mix too, otherwise the World would be such a boring place if everyone were wired the same way.
Small mata wey man-pikin go use relax crack few jokes after a lng day, some go just carry am for head like say 2moro no dey, my man relax abeg.

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by poweredcom(m): 1:47am On Sep 16, 2013
grin grin grin a guy cals me a pet name ..omo na smack down ooo
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by ozoemeka(m): 2:35am On Sep 16, 2013
Society has dictated to men that they must act like brutes and animals, grunting and ACTING machismo. FORGETTING that Machismo DOES NOT EXIST in reality. it is a CONSTRUCTED reality by the media, so when a NORMAL human being TRIES to be like what he "SEES ON TV" you have a disconnect.

A. John watches movies/tv from an early age and "LEARNS" that men "play basketball, talk about women 247, Don't cry, SAG their pants, like Blue, play with action figures". He learned it from his dad, cartoons, music videos, his neighborhood.

SO when John (a HUMAN BEING) finds out later in Life that he likes Tennis, does not enjoy ALWAYS talking about women, feels like expressing his emotions sometimes, wants to dress properly, likes Brown, does not like Action toys......everyone says something must be wrong with John BECAUSE he does not follow "the SOCIETAL constructed standard".....however when John excels in life....the SAME society points back and says "see he was SPECIAL"

Arabs call themselves nicknames, in fact in the Arab culture they call each other "habibi" which LITERALLY translates to "my love". They kiss on the cheek and hug each other, it is NOT seen as gay. Nigerians have a companionship culture BUT because they watch TOO MUCH TV, they WANT TO BE LIKE the "NIGGAS they SEE ON TV" so they BORROW a CULTURE and STANDARD that is NOT THEIRS and try to BE LIKE IT...so you hear guys in nigeria saying "no homo"....when did that become a nigerian "saying"? Older nigerians feel free to hug themselves and tell each other I love you man, you are more than a brother to me. Jonathan said it to David, YET the "COPY CATS" would rather emulate the "westerners"

the issue here: Nigerians LOVE TO COPY. Shame on Nigeria.
firetrap: its cos guys are serious homophobes and its may not be seen as masculine to say such

2 Likes

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by ozoemeka(m): 2:43am On Sep 16, 2013
Society started the trend. Trendsetters don't follow. Guys give each other Nick names. Why it doesn't sound "soft" is because most guys (in their heads) want to BE SEEN as the MOST MACHO. Therefore they want to answer "hard sounding names" so you may rarely hear a "hon/babe" etc however they will call each other by their nicknames.

2. Society dictates and women reinforce the idea that MAN should be associated with all things MANLY. YET you discover that every now and then a trendsetter will BREAK those rules. Remember when it was MANLY to keep a bushy hair and FEMININE to cut your hair short? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.
Remember when it was MANLY to wear loose fitting, baggy clothes? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.
Remember when it was MANLY to wear ANYTHING but pink and soft colors? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.

Remember when it was MANLY not to be groomed - hair, nails, skin? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok. Men even try to "brag" about their skin, looks and lips. Don't get started on ABS - it was FEMININE to be so interested in your body

Remember when it was NOT MANLY for men to walk around with bags? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok. Now men have messenger bags etc

Remember when it was NOT MANLY for men to wear earrings? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.

Remember when it was NOT MANLY to dye your hair blond? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.

In a nutshell, someone THINKS xyz is NOT manly, followers FOLLOW, someone else changes it, followers follow.

if a popular artist starts calling guys by a pet name, I give you 2 years, make this thread again and almost EVERYONE will say it is not a big deal. It's all about the FOLLOWER-LEADER model.

Baybe: Lmao @ the comments. I know it's wierd, I just want to know why it's so wierd. grin

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by yfo: 2:56am On Sep 16, 2013
ozo_emeka: Society started the trend. Trendsetters don't follow. Guys give each other Nick names. Why it doesn't sound "soft" is because most guys (in their heads) want to BE SEEN as the MOST MACHO. Therefore they want to answer "hard sounding names" so you may rarely hear a "hon/babe" etc however they will call each other by their nicknames.

2. Society dictates and women reinforce the idea that MAN should be associated with all things MANLY. YET you discover that every now and then a trendsetter will BREAK those rules. Remember when it was MANLY to keep a bushy hair and FEMININE to cut your hair short? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.
Remember when it was MANLY to wear loose fitting, baggy clothes? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.
Remember when it was MANLY to wear ANYTHING but pink and soft colors? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.

Remember when it was MANLY not to be groomed - hair, nails, skin? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok. Men even try to "brag" about their skin, looks and lips. Don't get started on ABS - it was FEMININE to be so interested in your body

Remember when it was NOT MANLY for men to walk around with bags? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok. Now men have messenger bags etc

Remember when it was NOT MANLY for men to wear earrings? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.

Remember when it was NOT MANLY to dye your hair blond? Someone broke that cycle and guess what - the followers, in their usual way, followed and NOW it is ok.

In a nutshell, someone THINKS xyz is NOT manly, followers FOLLOW, someone else changes it, followers follow.

if a popular artist starts calling guys by a pet name, I give you 2 years, make this thread again and almost EVERYONE will say it is not a big deal. It's all about the FOLLOWER-LEADER model.

well sorry to say that all this your long post hardly adresses anything...u talking bout arabs kissing on the cheek.....that's their culture and doesn't have any deep meaning

let's settle this simply, our grandparents and elders in the society don't give each other pet-names and hardly been affected by what u feel is nigerians being "copy-cats"...so if its not in our traditional culture nor d western culture, from where I ask do we accept giving our fellow brothers pet-names as the norm?
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by ozoemeka(m): 3:56am On Sep 16, 2013
Nick names are a pseudo sort of "pet names" . Your grand parents were ok with saying they LOVED a man, without any "homosexual" connotation attached to it. the "gay" factor is a "borrowed" concept.

y-fo:

well sorry to say that all this your long post hardly adresses anything...u talking bout arabs kissing on the cheek.....that's their culture and doesn't have any deep meaning

let's settle this simply, our grandparents and elders in the society don't give each other pet-names and hardly been affected by what u feel is nigerians being "copy-cats"...so if its not in our traditional culture nor d western culture, from where I ask do we accept giving our fellow brothers pet-names as the norm?

1 Like

Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by iamdsam: 4:06am On Sep 16, 2013
I think it is so only in Nigeria
Re: Girls Can Call Themselves Pet Names But Guys Cant? by victorD3: 5:31am On Sep 16, 2013
pleep: Male nick-names should be things like ; Stagger, guy-man, or Guy-yo-yo grin

I think the reason why female nicknames take on a romantic flavor is because most women are secretly bisexual

You are right, women are 70% Bisexual.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA / ‘See How My Sister-in-law Displays Her Big Butt On The Bed. What Does She Want?’ / My Love Story( Pre Wedding Pictures) Wedding 4th February,2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.