Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles (39923 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church / Tithes And Offerings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 28, 2013
Goshen360: Okay, @ idnoble135, I have seen the one you re posted, making two. I await others, if any. Thanks.
ride on with those. Would post the others later.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2013
Just post everything. I'm typing from my phone. I will respond fully after work. Post them so I can address them all together. We learn from each other. Thanks.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 28, 2013
@Candour, i understand. Your post were sentiments. If i did not expect it, then something is wrong. I await two more brothers. They will not fail to unleash sentiment.
You sir, need not to weep for me. Is it not interesting that your response was clouded with emotions? Not a single bible verse! Where is the grace that should salt you comment? Even if i was wrong, where is the tenderness in the rebuke. This is a shame on modern christianity.
Simply because someone has dissenting views, we go all out on them.
Ride on pls. God is your strength.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
Finish those first. I bet it might take a long time for you to get finished with them.
Slow and steady....
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 4:08pm On Sep 28, 2013
idnoble135: @Candour, i understand. Your post were sentiments. If i did not expect it, then something is wrong. I await two more brothers. They will not fail to unleash sentiment.
You sir, need not to weep for me. Is it not interesting that your response was clouded with emotions? Not a single bible verse! Where is the grace that should salt you comment? Even if i was wrong, where is the tenderness in the rebuke. This is a shame on modern christianity.
Simply because someone has dissenting views, we go all out on them.
Ride on pls. God is your strength.

I wish I could display tenderness in rebuke. In fact that is my usual style but I just realised it pronlongs the debate unnecessarily because proponents of obvious lies get more brazen.

Its a different thing if we were arguing whether Jesus spoke with tongues or not. For you to attempt to justify an obvious lie that Jesus, from tribe of Judah and a carpenter by trade Paid and Received tithe is an almost unpardonable deliberate dishonesty.

Have you read the old testament? Its a different thing if you asked. No one knows it all. Everyday I log in to NL I trust to learn something knew. But you've been very brazen in your position that you were right, even when Alwaystrue directly contradicted you with a fact of her own.

No my bro. You are not interested in knowledge that goes against the traditions you were brought up with.

Sorry if I was too harsh. I promise to chill henceforth.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 4:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
idnoble135: Finish those first. I bet it might take a long time for you to get finished with them.
Slow and steady....

Okay, let's take it slowly with tenderness to correct. Let's address the first issue, you quoted Matthew 23:23. Do you believe Jesus talking to scribes and pharisee = talking to his disciples?

Let's take it from there.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Alwaystrue(f): 4:23pm On Sep 28, 2013
@Idnoble,
I believe the 'do' part you meant Jesus was doing before he taught in Acts 1:1 was the 'giving' part for clarity sake since that is what i know that means without being told, because as usual it is being twisted to mean He received what will lawfully be going to the priesthood of that time as we know He fulfilled the law. I still believe this would have been before he started His ministry sha since we have no records.
Thanks, this is for those who will view the thread as usually even our words are easily twisted to suit base desires.
Thanks.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
@Candour, maybe you just dont get me clearly yet.
I hardly get into talks like this on the internet, i find it onerous expressing myself as i would.
I never said Jesus recieved tithe.
And that post was self explanatory(or maybe to me). Do your research pls. I emphasized that before posting this. Do your research.
But sir, all i posted are my convictions.
Rather than lash out, let it spur you to study.
Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 28, 2013
@Alwaystrue, i did not get your post clearly. I dont want to reply based on my own assumptions of what you said.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 28, 2013
Goshen360:

Okay, let's take it slowly with tenderness to correct. Let's address the first issue, you quoted Matthew 23:23. Do you believe Jesus talking to scribes and pharisee = talking to his disciples?

Let's take it from there.
As His immediate audience, yes!
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Alwaystrue(f): 4:40pm On Sep 28, 2013
You answered already.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 28, 2013
Alwaystrue: You answered already.
Amazing... cheesy
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 5:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
idnoble135:
As His immediate audience, yes!

Okay, if you believe Jesus talking to scribes and pharisees = talking or teaching his disciples. Let's re-structure Jesus word to portray Christ was talking to the disciples. It will go thus:

Woe unto you, Peter, James, John, Hypocrites, for you pay tithe of mints, ... these you ought to do without leaving others undone.

If disciples names are substituted, that's what it will read. How does that sound in your ears? Therefore, it will mean the disciples PAID tithe and if the disciples had paid tithe, they would have taught it to the early church because they extended the teachings of Christ and there would have been recorded of the disciples paying tithe and teaching it to the church especially in the council meeting in Jerusalem.

2. It will also mean the disciples would have 'continued' in this teaching because Christ said continue in my words if you my disciples in deed. Then, we need at least,.one scripture to validate they did tithed in DOING what christ taught them.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 6:27pm On Sep 28, 2013
Joa where art thou? We are still waiting for you o

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 7:04pm On Sep 28, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Idnoble,
I believe the 'do' part you meant Jesus was doing before he taught in Acts 1:1 was the 'giving' part for clarity sake since that is what i know that means without being told, because as usual it is being twisted to mean He received what will lawfully be going to the priesthood of that time as we know He fulfilled the law. I still believe this would have been before he started His ministry sha since we have no records.
Thanks, this is for those who will view the thread as usually even our words are easily twisted to suit base desires.
Thanks.
no way to patch this one o, water don pass garri. D guy don f*ck up, BIG TIME!
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 28, 2013
@Goshen,
I already brought that out earlier.
I could bring up numerous examples here.
When Jesus spoke, Jesus either spoke to the crowds or specific persons. Trying to say all what He saying was to those people alone is not correct. Why the act might not relate to us, the principle the Master wants to communicate is very related to us.
Here is an earlier post on the same thing you are trying to say.
idnoble135: @Candour and Christembassy, i was not caught off guard by your replies. I've read it on other threads and i've pondered on it.
I believe that excuse is not valid. I guess everywhere we read in the bible something like... "and Jesus spoke to the crowd saying..." we should ignore it because we are not the crowd.
When he spoke to the disciples in Acts 1:8, he was not referring to us because he was speaking to the disciples. That excuse is very lame bro.
See, every word Jesus said might not apply to us directly but it will carry principles that are vital for us. You think all what Jesus was saying was just to make a point to the Pharisee alone? If it were, there would be no need to include it in the Bible because it is irrelevant to us. After all, John told us that there were alot of things He said and did that were not recorded. In the same John, he let us know he spoke only what He heard. And the Father's word in the Scriptures are meant for us.
Okay, look at Mathew 16, Jesus was speaking and He made it clear that the "great confession" which Peter uttered were not revealed by flesh and blood but by the Father.
By your theory, we can also conclude that all what God meant was only Peter can get revelation since Jesus was not talking to us nor the apostles but Peter.
But thats wrong, the principle there is there are things that we can not know via our natural human faculties. But God is telling us a principle here that He can reveal to us what we can in no way know via our carnal understanding.
Now to the verse...

“What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful
to tithe even the tiniest
income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God.
You should tithe, yes, but do
not neglect the more
important things. Luke 11:42NLT

I guess we can overlook this also because Jesus was talking to the Pharisees right?
What a joke!

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 28, 2013
Thank you Lord.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 12:55am On Sep 29, 2013
@ Idnoble135,

When Jesus taught mercy, justice and love of God, he taught that to the disciples separately not in the act of rebuking and pronoucing woe to the scribes and pharisees. I have given you clue to interprete that verse, just change the names of disciples for the scribes & pharisees and read it again or better still, read it as though Christ was talking to the church. The audience are: Disciples, multitudes, scribes and pharisees. It will be wrongly dividing the word to say what was said to the disciples APPLIED to scribes\pharisees and verse versa.

Okay, put it the other way round. Does what was said to the disciple APPLY to the scribes and pharisees?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 29, 2013
^^^
That reply is very weak bro. It did not get the job done. Let me give you one more to chew on.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: Lemme make a little contribution to the thread.
First, i would that, it be clear that i'm not a pastor or whatsoever anyone might think. The thinking of some as regards to the subject that anyone who agrees to such is brain washed or a pastor is shameful.
That point made, i'd add to what has been said that the subject is yet in existence and is valid.
My point comes from the word of the Master himself. The words of the Master is greater than the words of every one in the scriptures. His words can never fail.
And i yet discover that the Lord did not intend that tithe should go extinct.
We know the Lord is supreme and He is greater than Moses. The authority He commands is one that Moses did not have.
And we read of how the Master showed that when He brought the law of Moses to a wrap and introduced Kingdom principles (which the law was trying to do).
The master showed it here,

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in
danger of the judgment.’
But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the
judgment. And whoever says
to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be
in danger of the council. But
whoever says, ‘You fool!’
shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:21-22

Here, the Lord showed Supremacy when He said, BUT I SAY UNTO YOU....
Again, the Master said on another occassion,

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou
shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a
woman to lust after her hath
committed adultery with her
already in his heart. Matthew 5:27-29

Again, we see the Lord's supremacy when He used the phrase "BUT I SAY UNTO YOU". The "BUT" showed He was bringing a change here.
But now, the Lord comes to the issue of tithe and behold what he said,
But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue
and every herb, and neglect
justice and the love of God.
These you ought to have
done, without neglecting the
others.
Luke 11:42ESV

Is it not revealing? The Lord did not use the phrase, "BUT I SAY UNTO YOU". Instead, He said, These you ought to have
done
. Thats one big reason to show the Lord never abolished it.
By this, we understand that the Lord never put an end to it, He commended it.
Tithing is not yet extinct. If the Master was aware of it and did not personally scrap it but approved it, i see no reason why some one should try to convince me other wise.
Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 29, 2013
And to add, i read brother Goshen telling me that i should fix my name in the passage to hear out it will sound and if it sounds nice. Oh God, lol, i guess thats one way to understand scripture. Once i put my name there and it does not sound good, then it is not for me.
Coming from a renowned Nairaland bible 'teacher'. I hope you withdraw that statement. SMH....

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 29, 2013
I have said it, whosoever reads with an open mind will find the truth.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 11:57am On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: I have said it, whosoever reads with an open mind will find the truth.

You see, bro idnoble, your statement up there shows you too are just interested in getting your views across which is same thing you accuse others of. Until we get your point of view, we are not reading with open mind.

Before you start off again in another direction, Start your reading from Matt 23:1 and see where that puts you. Image has opened a thread in it, you can go over there and do a comprehensive expose on it so we know exactly what and who Christ was talking to in Matt 23:23 that you hold so tenaciously to.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 29, 2013
No pls.... The same questions i have asked you is the same i'm asking Goshen and none of you have yet been to provide appropriate answers to.
You've both dodged answering directly.
It is well o. Till the day those questions are properly answered and the rest which i have are duly attended to, dont expect me to swallow what you guys peddle.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: No pls.... The same questions i have asked you is the same i'm asking Goshen and none of you have yet been to provide appropriate answers to.
You've both dodged answering directly.
It is well o. Till the day those questions are properly answered and the rest which i have are duly attended to, dont expect me to swallow what you guys peddle.

Which questions did you ask that you're saying have not been answered? Which questions are being dodged?

Which of the questions you've been asked have you answered?

Jesus did not pay tithe neither did he collect tithe. The apostles did not pay tithe neither did they collect tithe. This is the truth you keep running away from but it won't stop it from being the truth.

Image opened a thread on Matt 23, come and enlighten us there
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
lol... I dont engage discussions on topics that are on the front page. It will create too many distractions.
Besides, why the thread? I already read it. Why not this thread?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: lol... I dont engage discussions on topics that are on the front page. It will create too many distractions.
Besides, why the thread? I already read it. Why not this thread?

OK no wahala.

You said Jesus said I should tithe in Matt 23:23 and I replied that is not true because if it were, that means he's also asking you in Matt 23:1-3 to observe and do all the laws and regulations in the Torah(613 laws in all) after all he spoke all through the chapter.

Why do you think Matt 23:23 applies to Christians but bluntly reject Matt 23:1-3?

Go ahead, open up Matt 23 to our understanding. Maybe we might get it
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 12:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
If Matthew 23:23 applies to Christians, what about Mark 10:21 which is even about what to do to gain eternal life!

Jesus said: “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

So, how many of our Matthew 23:23 people are selling all they have, giving to the poor, then following Jesus --- so that they may have eternal life?

Or tithes in Matthew 23 is more important than eternal life in Mark 21?

cool

4 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mathew 23 reads,
23 Then spake Jesus to the
multitude, and to his disciples, 2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that
observe and do; but do not ye
after their works: for they
say, and do not.

I already made it known in an earlier post, you can flip through the pages of this thread to get it.
In Mathew 16 we read of Jesus speaking to Peter. Where the Lord told him that flesh and blood hath not revealed this to him but the Father. We might as well conclude that all that scripture has nothing to do with us. But no, right in that address to Peter, there are principles for us to learn. I could point out a number from that passage.
But it was addressed to Peter. Yet, we quote it.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 1:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma: If Matthew 23:23 applies to Christians, what about Mark 10:21 which is even about what to do to gain eternal life!

Jesus said: “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

So, how many of our Matthew 23:23 people are selling all they have, giving to the poor, then following Jesus --- so that they may have eternal life?

Or tithes in Matthew 23 is more important than eternal life in Mark 21?

cool

God bless you Enigma.

Oya over to Matt 23:23 proponents
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 29, 2013
Like you said, the word was spoken for the young man to have eternal life.
We must not forget that the young man said he already obeyed the law of Moses from his youth.
Under the dispensation, obeying the law was all that was needed to gain eternal life (because we already learned in Romans that the law was ordained to life).
In this era, we do not give to gain eternal life. Because Christ has given it to us via His death and resurrection.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 1:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
My brother IDNoble abikereleti, sorry to be rude but I will let out what first came to my mind when I read your last post:

Excuses, excuses! grin

smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

T.B Joshua "Predicted Crash Of Russian Plane"(watch Video) / Apostle Suleman Reacts To Shoprite's Looting In Nigeria Over Xenophobia In SA / Frank Edwards And Don Moen In The Studio - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.