Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,972 members, 7,814,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles (39926 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church / Tithes And Offerings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
@Enigma, LOL.
I've got questions too. At least i responded to yours and you termed it 'excuses'.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Zikkyy(m): 1:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: Like you said, the word was spoken for the young man to have eternal life.
We must not forget that the young man said he already obeyed the law of Moses from his youth.
Under the dispensation, obeying the law was all that was needed to gain eternal life (because we already learned in Romans that the law was ordained to life).
In this era, we do not give to gain eternal life. Because Christ has given it to us via His death and resurrection.

what are saying? That eternal life is free for all now? We don't need to obey anything anymore?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 1:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: @Enigma, LOL.
I've got questions too. At least i responded to yours and you termed it 'excuses'.

Ok, fire and I'll do the best I can. smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Alwaystrue(f): 1:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
I had been waiting for this.... grin

Matthew 19:20-22
20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me[b].”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

LOL. This young man seemed to be or may have been baiting Jesus. But at the end of the day, He could not give all He had and follow Jesus even though giving our all to Jesus does not mean we will still not have more possessions, infact he will even be much more blessed.

[b]Matthew 19:29

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, AND shall inherit everlasting life

[b]Mark 10:30
But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time
, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life

I Timothy 6:17-19
17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy
18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life

The scriptures are really wholesome. All we need is just patience to meditate and learn the truth.
(edited)

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
Zikkyy:

what are saying? That eternal life is free for all now? We don't need to obey anything anymore?
lol... I know where you are headed. Tithes will not take anyone to hell. Rejecting Christ is what will. We are saved by Christ not tithes.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 1:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
lol... I know where you are headed. Tithes will not take anyone to hell. Rejecting Christ is what will. We are saved by Christ not tithes.

In that case, you have not really given us any genuine reason why we should follow the statement on tithes in Matthew 23:23 but not the statement on eternal life in Mark 10:21 (etc).

It would seem obvious, even as you now suggest indirectly, that any statement on eternal life is more important and demanding/deserving of our attention than one on tithes!

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

In that case, you have not really given us any genuine reason why we should follow the statement on tithes in Matthew 23:23 but not the statement on eternal life in Mark 10:21 (etc).

It would seem obvious, even as you now suggest indirectly, that any statement on eternal life is more important and demanding/deserving of our attention than one on tithes!

smiley
Saying i dont discuss salvation is a wrong assumption. This is my first time of talking about tithe. My posts on threads also bear evangelistic tone. Maybe you could do research well before wrongly insinuating me.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 1:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
Saying i dont discuss salvation is a wrong assumption. This is my first time of talking about tithe. My posts on threads also bear evangelistic tone. Maybe you could do research well before wrongly insinuating me.

I have not said or even suggested what you are claiming here!

Read my post again: my question is why should we follow the statement on "tithes" but not the one on eternal life?

smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 1:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

Read my post again: my question is why should we follow the statement on "tithes" but not the one on eternal life?

smiley

It's called 'selective' obedience. grin He doesn't 'understand' what you saying, he just reading.

@ idnoble135,

lemme help you understand what Enigma is saying. If tithing as per Matthew 23:23 is "ETERNAL PRINCIPLE", why can't selling ALL AND THEN FOLLOW JESUS AS REQUIREMENT also be "eternal principle", because both statements was made by Christ.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 1:58pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

smiley

Selective obedience associated with $$$. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

smiley
Okk... Here for you.
idnoble135: Lemme make a little contribution to the thread.
First, i would that, it be clear that i'm not a pastor or whatsoever anyone might think. The thinking of some as regards to the subject that anyone who agrees to such is brain washed or a pastor is shameful.
That point made, i'd add to what has been said that the subject is yet in existence and is valid.
My point comes from the word of the Master himself. The words of the Master is greater than the words of every one in the scriptures. His words can never fail.
And i yet discover that the Lord did not intend that tithe should go extinct.
We know the Lord is supreme and He is greater than Moses. The authority He commands is one that Moses did not have.
And we read of how the Master showed that when He brought the law of Moses to a wrap and introduced Kingdom principles (which the law was trying to do).
The master showed it here,

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in
danger of the judgment.’
But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the
judgment. And whoever says
to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be
in danger of the council. But
whoever says, ‘You fool!’
shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:21-22

Here, the Lord showed Supremacy when He said, BUT I SAY UNTO YOU....
Again, the Master said on another occassion,

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou
shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a
woman to lust after her hath
committed adultery with her
already in his heart. Matthew 5:27-29

Again, we see the Lord's supremacy when He used the phrase "BUT I SAY UNTO YOU". The "BUT" showed He was bringing a change here.
But now, the Lord comes to the issue of tithe and behold what he said,
But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue
and every herb, and neglect
justice and the love of God.
These you ought to have
done, without neglecting the
others.
Luke 11:42ESV

Is it not revealing? The Lord did not use the phrase, "BUT I SAY UNTO YOU". Instead, He said, These you ought to have
done
. Thats one big reason to show the Lord never abolished it.
By this, we understand that the Lord never put an end to it, He commended it.
Tithing is not yet extinct. If the Master was aware of it and did not personally scrap it but approved it, i see no reason why some one should try to convince me other wise.
Shalom!
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
Candour:

Selective obedience associated with $$$. grin grin

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

It's called 'selective' obedience. grin He doesn't 'understand' what you saying, he just reading.

@ idnoble135,

lemme help you understand what Enigma is saying. If tithing as per Matthew 23:23 is "ETERNAL PRINCIPLE", why can't selling ALL AND THEN FOLLOW JESUS AS REQUIREMENT also be "eternal principle", because both statements was made by Christ.
Go back and read my reply to that. Dont just jump into discussion without knowing how it started.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 2:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
Okk... Here for you.

Bros, I'm afraid that still does not address this specific question: why should we follow the statement on "tithes" but not the one on eternal life?

smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 2:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
shocked shocked shocked

grin grin

That your programmed response to Enigma's question will not cut it. Its the same post you gave to me and Goshen. Is it a 'one size fits all post'?

See the question again

Why follow Matt 23:23 and not Mark 10:21?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

Bros, I'm afraid that still does not address this specific question: why should we follow the statement on "tithes" but not the one on eternal life?

smiley
idnoble135: Like you said, the word was spoken for the young man to have eternal life.
We must not forget that the young man said he already obeyed the law of Moses from his youth.
Under the dispensation, obeying the law was all that was needed to gain eternal life (because we already learned in Romans that the law was ordained to life).
In this era, we do not give to gain eternal life. Because Christ has given it to us via His death and resurrection.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 29, 2013
Candour:

grin grin

That your programmed response to Enigma's question will not cut it. Its the same post you gave to me and Goshen. Is it a 'one size fits all post'?

See the question again

Why follow Matt 23:23 and not Mark 10:21?

Post the scriptures.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
Post the scriptures.

Matthew 23:23
Jesus said: Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Mark 10:21
Jesus said: “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

I hope these versions/translations are satisfactory.

cool
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 29, 2013
Bro Enigma, you are all over the place na. The other time, you asked a question, i answered, you said it was an excuse. I told you i have questions for you, you said i should go on. I asked the question but you pretended you did not see it, you referred me back to a question i already answered.
While you have posts to attend to, you suddenly post scriptures i asked Candour to post. Kilode? cheesy Reply me pls.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 2:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
Post the scriptures.

Haba Enigma already did. Here they are anyway

'Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, one thing thou blackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me'

Matt 23:23
'Woe unto you, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and common, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone'
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

Matthew 23:23
Jesus said: Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus said: “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

I hope these versions/translations are satisfactory.

cool
I already answered these questions on this thread sef. Pls, bring on something else. Cant keep repeating myself.
Or better still answer my own questions.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 2:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
grin grin grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 2:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
EDIT I mistakenly edited this post, while trying to make another. However, the substance of the original post was this question:

Jesus spoke to the Youth ---- according to the law; was He not also speaking to the Pharisees in Matthew 23:23 according to the law when He said they ought to have tithed mint, cummin etc?

smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 29, 2013
Was all the words of Jesus to people under the law?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
@Enigma, i'm on mobile. Thats why i'm trying to keep it simple. You know how difficult it can be typing on a device.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135:
I already answered these questions on this thread sef. Pls, bring on something else. Cant keep repeating myself.
Or better still answer my own questions.

grin grin grin cheesy

We saw your 'answers' bro, but it was plenty in words nothing in substance.

See the question. Why obey Matt 23:23 and leave Matt 23:1-3 and Mark 10:21 knowing fully well Christ spoke in all these references?

For me, Matt 23:23 was not talking to me the same way Matt 23:1-3 and Mark 10:21 did not talk to me. Hope you get me now?

So you that insists on Matt 23:23, why not the others?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: Was all the words of Jesus to people under the law?

No!

However,

1. was He speaking according to the law, when He spoke to the youth in Mark 10?

2. was He not speaking according to the law, when he spoke to the Pharisees in Matthew 23?

smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Enigma(m): 2:49pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: @Enigma, i'm on mobile. Thats why i'm trying to keep it simple. You know how difficult it can be typing on a device.

No problem, anytime!

smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Alwaystrue(f): 2:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
@idnoble,
thanks. Please check your pm.
Thanks too for the answers. I know all questions have been answered. All we see that is left going on here is just quibbling. smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
Candour:

grin grin grin cheesy

We saw your 'answers' bro, but it was plenty in words nothing in substance.

See the question. Why obey Matt 23:23 and leave Matt 23:1-3 and Mark 10:21 knowing fully well Christ spoke in all these references?

For me, Matt 23:23 was not talking to me the same way Matt 23:1-3 and Mark 10:21 did not talk to me. Hope you get me now?

So you that insists on Matt 23:23, why not the others?
We've talked before bro and you did not bring this up. I cant split my attention.
Could you be patient let me have the discussion with Enigma. I'd attend to you when when we are done.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 2:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: Was all the words of Jesus to people under the law?

Biblically, YES!!! But since he came with Grace and truth, he, under the law, was establishing his will and testament that will be carried over into the new covenant, after his death. But the whole of his audience are all people still under the law.

*** edited ***
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

No!

However,

1. was He speaking according to the law, when He spoke to the youth in Mark 10?

2. was He not speaking according to the law, when he spoke to the Pharisees in Matthew 23?

smiley
1. He spoke to him as regarding the law because the issue was basically how to get eternal life. And the young man could not get it through Jesus because He had not yet died on the cross.
2. No. Tithe is beyond a matter of the law. And so, assuming that position would be wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

T.B Joshua "Predicted Crash Of Russian Plane"(watch Video) / Apostle Suleman Reacts To Shoprite's Looting In Nigeria Over Xenophobia In SA / Frank Edwards And Don Moen In The Studio - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.