Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,901 members, 7,821,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan (36909 Views)

If You Didnt Do This While In The University Then You Missed Thousands Of Naira / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by soulfood(m): 12:20am On Dec 01, 2013
Then why make a promise you can't keep.
theoctopus:

Sometimes I dont understand how you people just post things with so much ignorance of government procedure. Do you think GEJ can just order central bank to bring 100 billion just like that? Every expenditure for the year in budgeted. If there is a new project, the FG will have to send a supplementary budget to the NASS for approval. Why cant you guys just understand this simple thing for once. And you cannot be talking about sending a supplementary budget in November can you? We are talking of 2014 budget now, not 2013. I think part of the problem we have in this country is mass ignorance of our government works and it seem deceitful unions and parties always take advantage of that to hoodwink the gullible public
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by eluquenson(m): 12:20am On Dec 01, 2013
If u fail to sign agreement with them, how would they be convinced that you will implement it.
And you are forcing them to resume undecided
Coward indeed cheesy
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by star95(m): 12:21am On Dec 01, 2013
Most ppl on nairaland will never seize to amuse me thats why I prefer to come here n laugh my head off rather than comment.
Some blatant chronic maladroits who might have not been listening to any news since the begining of the strike will never learn to seperate their tempers and emotions from constructive critism and objectivity rather they will keep commenting like some goon on the loose.
May God save us in this SO-CALLED country of ours.
I tire oooo.
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Olril18(m): 12:22am On Dec 01, 2013
theoctopus:

Sometimes I dont understand how you people just post things with so much ignorance of government procedure. Do you think GEJ can just order central bank to bring 100 billion just like that? Every expenditure for the year in budgeted. If there is a new project, the FG will have to send a supplementary budget to the NASS for approval. Why cant you guys just understand this simple thing for once. And you cannot be talking about sending a supplementary budget in November can you? We are talking of 2014 budget now, not 2013. I think part of the problem we have in this country is mass ignorance of our government works and it seem deceitful unions and parties always take advantage of that to hoodwink the gullible public
plenty of thank u
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Olril18(m): 12:24am On Dec 01, 2013
star95: Most ppl on nairaland will never seize to amuse me thats why I prefer to come here n laugh my head off rather than comment.
Some blatant chronic maladroits who might have not been listening to any news since the begining of the strike will never learn to seperate their tempers and emotions from constructive critism and objectivity rather they will keep commenting like some goon on the loose.
I tire oooo.
see pot calling kettle black..confused human being..
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Fiilosofer(m): 12:26am On Dec 01, 2013
While the current indefinite strike action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) has had no visible effect on the Rivers State University of Science and Technology (RSUST), as lecturers are busy teaching in all the lecture halls available in the institution, the strike has however crippled academic activities in nearby universities like the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) and the newly established Rivers State University of Education (UOE).

The industrial action was embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union Universities (ASUU) last week to press for what they referred to as the non-implementation of their agreement reached with the federal government during their last prolonged strike action.

The RSUST where Bariname Bekee Fakae, the erudite researcher/professor, holds sway as two-term vice chancellor is calm. BusinessDay checks around universities in the Rivers State capital indicated that tests and serious teaching are going on in the RSUST.

At the Uniport, the lecture halls were empty while students have since either vacated or are loitering about, hoping to hear good news. This is the same situation at UOE.

RSUST had been in the news over incessant strike actions called by the local ASUU headed by Felix Igwe over appointment of the vice chancellor by the Visitor. The university authorities and the state government later lost patience and crushed the confrontation, employing about 100 fresh lecturers to replace recalcitrant ones. The rest rushed back to classes. Later, the lecturers created a slogan; “strike not an option.”

Now, lecturers in RSUST have disassociated themselves from the strike. According to one of them, “strikes are evil and destructive to the education system.”

Adolphus Ejetobi, a professor and financial management expert and lecturer in the University, told BusinessDay in an exclusive interview that they are not part of ASUU and will not join the strike action. He said, “RSUST is not part of ASUU. We are not on strike. We have already agreed that strike is no more an option in this University because we see strike as evil and destructive to the public university system. We believe in dialogue and more so, RSUST is one of the highest paid universities in Nigeria.”

Desmond Wosu, the public relations officer [PRO], said the academic staff of RSUST had no intention of embarking on any strike action. “The lecturers that we employed do not have any problem with the management of this university nor do they have with the Council. They are teaching,” he said.

The ASUU chapter in UNIPORT has joined the nationwide strike action. This was confirmed by Lawrence Chuku, a lecturer and former deputy chairman, ObioAkpor Local Government Council. He said that lectures had been put on hold as a result of the ongoing strike.

Besides, BusinessDay checks revealed that the ASUU members at the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education Port Harcourt have joined the strike action as directed by the national body. According to a lecturer who preferred to remain anonymous, lecturers in the institution had had downed tools.

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Olril18(m): 12:27am On Dec 01, 2013
l know dat definitely,if u are a student or parents,den u wouldn't be in continuos of dis foolish strike...5 bloody months?? its incredible!!
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Fiilosofer(m): 12:27am On Dec 01, 2013
AMAECHI IN ACTION RSUST IS NOT ON STRIKE
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by star95(m): 12:28am On Dec 01, 2013
Olril18:
see pot calling kettle black..confused human being..
That was a delibrate attempt to make people like you comment. Must you quote me?.
Such an obvious example of d earlier mentioned 'goon'.
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by honeric01(m): 12:29am On Dec 01, 2013
theoctopus:

Then why promise what you don't have in the first place? the former agreement, did they do anything about it? did they make any attempt? what about the 100B they kept telling the public they have released when the strike was just 2 months old, where did the 100B come from? where is it now and why couldn't they use 3 months to source for approval from NASS as you want us to believe? we are not fools here, ASUU demand is not a new project so quit this line of thought, it's been on ground since 2009 even though it was 500B then.

You're more ignorant than the people you think are ignorant but i won't toll your line because you're likely to turn violent with words anytime soon when you have nothing more to say.

BTW, GEJ signed an MOU with ASUU in 2011 just to reassure them on the agreement signed in 2009, so what else do you want to tell you? is this a new project?

1 Like

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Idrismusty97(m): 12:31am On Dec 01, 2013
star95: Most ppl on nairaland will never seize to amuse me thats why I prefer to come here n laugh my head off rather than comment.
I tire oooo.
We now know you are a literate. So can you please rest your tired eyes?
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by star95(m): 12:33am On Dec 01, 2013
Idrismusty97: We now know you are a literate. So can you please rest your tired eyes?
You can do thesame brov
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by theoctopus: 12:35am On Dec 01, 2013
honeric01:

Then why promise what you don't have in the first place? the former agreement, did they do anything about it? did they make any attempt? what about the 100B they kept telling the public they have released when the strike was just 2 months old, where did the 100B come from? where is it now and why couldn't they use 3 months to source for approval from NASS as you want us to believe? we are not fools here, ASUU demand is not a new project so quit this line of thought, it's been on ground since 2009 even though it was 500B then.

You're more ignorant than the people you think are ignorant but i won't toll your line because you're likely to turn violent with words anytime soon when you have nothing more to say.

I dont even know where to start to address your ignorance from. They did not promise anything that was not fufilled. The offer of government is clear. What should be released is stated and what will be released in the next five years is also stated. Please go back and read the past news items. And please note this from the president

“What was expected having met with the highest authorities in the land for long hours, was for ASUU to immediately issue statement within 12 or latest 24 hours , to state their position whether they were accepting government’s offer or not. And if they are not accepting they should state the reason for that.”

Even if they didnt agree, they should have said so clearly and immediately, not play around and now use the excuse of a members death to indefinitely keep students at home. So if a member dies, millions of student should sit at home, APC and Jagaban style? This kind of rascality is really not good for our young democracy

2 Likes

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 01, 2013
This thread is actually full of dumb students. When did the education minister turn the mouth piece of committee of vcs. How can a minister be announcing on behalf of Vcs? Chia.... Some students are even saying resumption is 4th. Where did u see anything like that.?The ultimatum actually ends 4th does not mean resumption is 4th. (Now we are actually confused about who gave such ultimatum). President said commitee of vcs...yet how many of them have announced resumption dates. Wike said FG...... Na wa o.There is no way wike would have made such announcements without the FGs hand in it. Now they are trying to distant themselves. So far so good not even up to 5 unis have announced resumption dates. Tmr is 1st...... Why can't students think this days. If the VCS and lecturers are really ready to work...they all will have announced resumption dates with immediate effect. I weep for the kind of students we have now.

1 Like

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by eluquenson(m): 12:38am On Dec 01, 2013
If ASUU ends this strike GOODLUCK and if they don't PATIENCE
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 01, 2013
theoctopus:

Get it into your head. The gorvernment did not change mouth, you hear! He just explained to you the process. It is called due process. No wonder some of you support Buhari. You think government is a man issuing commands from the TV screen or telling a widow "go and die". prehistoric humans grin
taaah,which kind explain due process.he change mouth he don change mouth.wike said his own clearly representing the federal govt,or oga jona is no longer part of the federal govt?and taaaaah,am not and will never be a buhari supporter.gerrit?
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by honeric01(m): 12:48am On Dec 01, 2013
theoctopus:

I dont even know where to start to address your ignorance from. They did not promise anything that was not fufilled. The offer of government is clear. What should be released is stated and what will be released in the next five years is also stated. Please go back and read the past news items. And please note this from the president

Even if they didnt agree, they should have said so clearly and immediately, not play around and now use the excuse of a members death to indefinitely keep students at home. So if a member dies, millions of student should sit at home, APC and Jagaban style? This kind of rascality is really not good for our young democracy

You're more ignorant than i thought.

If you read what ASUU actually said and not what you're told to read or interpret, you should have seen where ASUU said they were ready to call off the strike within 24 hrs if the govt sign the agreement together with the attorney Gen of the fed, pay 4 months salaries (Since the same govt caused the strike in the first place) and lastly release 100B from the 200B meant for 2012/2013 which is just 1 month away to end by depositing the sum at the central govt as a sign of committment to the whole agreement.

Its not a yes or no kind of answer, it's "ARE YOU READY TO CARRY OUT THESE NEW RESOLUTION"?
NOW TELL ME, WHAT IS ACTUALLY HARD TO DO HERE BY A TRUSTWORTHY GOVT READY TO ACTUALLY RELEASE 220B YEARLY FOR 5 YEARS?

1 Like

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by elrony(m): 12:51am On Dec 01, 2013
frankyychiji: If it was rancid then why are u covering ur eye instead of ur nose? I just love to talk.

Are u just itching to quote and post,or ur glaring foolishness at display here??

Move over punk!
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 01, 2013
honeric01: It seems Nairaland has just been hit by a new breed of sycophants, chei.

GEJ: I have met with you ASUU in person, so go and call off the strike

ASUU: 2009 Agreement is still fresh in our memory, your govt said our demands which you and your former boss (Yaradua) agreed to were unrealistic.

GEJ: Okay, out of the N500B yearly fund, we can provide you with N200B yearly.

ASUU: Okay, we have agreed, but we prefer there is a legal tender binding us this time around with signatures from you and also from the attorney general of the federation.

GEJ: So is my word not enough to serve as a bound?

ASUU: hehehe, once beaten, 10 times shy, no sir, since you believe you are capable of carrying out these agreements, kindly put to paper your signature, together with that of the attorney general of the federal so as to avoid stories that touch in the nearest future.

GEJ: So you mean i am a liar? you cant take my words abi? what arrant rubbish, infact if you don't resume in the next one week, i will sack all of you and replace you with new lecturers (hmmm lecturers from the moon or from mars?)

ASUU: Hehehehe, so you think you're talking to illiterates abi? okay, we dare you to sack us all.

GEJ: I never said i'd sack you all, it was said by em, em, em, the committee of V. Chancellors...... (LOL)

Sensible Nigerians: LOL, when did the presidency become the mouthpiece of the committee of V. Chancellors?

Wonders shall never end, the presidency was once the spokeman of MEND, now speaking for V. chancellors lol...
lol,u'v said it all.
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by elrony(m): 12:54am On Dec 01, 2013
honeric01:

If you read what ASUU actually said and not what you're told to read or interpret, you should have seen where ASUU said they were ready to call off the strike within 24 hrs if the govt sign the agreement together with the attorney Gen of the fed, pay 4 months salaries (Since the same govt caused the strike in the first place) and lastly release 100B from the 200B meant for 2012/2013 which is just 1 month away to end by depositing the sum at the central govt as a sign of committment to the whole agreement.

Its not a yes or no kind of answer, it's "ARE YOU READY TO CARRY OUT THESE NEW RESOLUTION"?
NOW TELL ME, WHAT IS ACTUALLY HARD TO DO HERE BY A TRUSTWORTHY GOVT READY TO ACTUALLY RELEASE 220B YEARLY FOR 5 YEARS?

Insincerity seems to be crawling around the part of the government...
More like it!!!
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by frankyychiji(f): 12:57am On Dec 01, 2013
elrony:

Are u just itching to quote and post,or ur glaring foolishness at display here??

Move over punk!
Lol....that joke was on u...I just love to talk!
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by greggng: 1:04am On Dec 01, 2013
theoctopus:

You are an illiterate obviously else you will know that the meeting had a secretary that put everything in writing. Olodo!

Is a shame you misunderstood what I meant by putting it in writing and I blame ur ignorance. What the had with ASUU was a gentle man agreement and ASUU prefers a written and signed agreement. One of the ASUU representatives did mentioned it on tv and govt has not disputed the fact stated. You can call me iliterate but very soon nigerians will know whom the real iliterate is. Since the govt claimed new conditions were given, what re the conditions? Remenber govt has in the past failed to honor agreement entered into by both parties . Right now the said they want to renegociate the former agreement as if they were sleeping when it was made. What ASUU want is very simple. Put in writing all that you promised and sign so that it becomes binding legally. Someone like you can't stand me accademically and otherwise cos you re govt puppet

2 Likes

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:07am On Dec 01, 2013
Anybody that support f.g is either gullible or doesn't know what's on ground. ASUU must not relent ,I don't mind staying at home for 5 years , until f.g do the needful ASUU don't shift ground.

1 Like

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 01, 2013
greggng:

Is a shame you misunderstood what I meant by putting it in writing and I blame ur ignorance. What the had with ASUU was a gentle man agreement and ASUU prefers a written and signed agreement. One of the ASUU representatives did mentioned it on tv and govt has not disputed the fact stated. You can call me iliterate but very soon nigerians will know whom the real iliterate is. Since the govt claimed new conditions were given, what re the conditions? Remenber govt has in the past failed to honor agreement entered into by both parties . Right now the said they want to renegociate the former agreement as if they were sleeping when it was made. What ASUU want is very simple. Put in writing all that you promised and sign so that it becomes binding legally. Someone like you can't stand me accademically and otherwise cos you re govt puppet
you got time to reply that bloody fool ,what do you expect from a goon?
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by buoye1(m): 1:17am On Dec 01, 2013
I know say na APC ppu go strt dis lie b4!...#fresh air...No bashing o na joke!
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by porka: 1:24am On Dec 01, 2013
Manuelcrc:

abi o... babangida tried to mass-sack lecturers but he failed. This simply shows FG is out of its depth

And just an "ordinary VC" in Unilorin sacked tens of them and replaced them forthwith.

Now, everyone wants to place his/her ward in Unilorin.
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by porka: 1:30am On Dec 01, 2013
Tadon200: Anybody that support f.g is either gullible or doesn't know what's on ground. ASUU must not relent ,I don't mind staying at home for 5 years , until f.g do the needful ASUU don't shift ground.

And this because you didn't gain admission?

JAMB is selling forms already.

Try harder this time, you don't need to stay at home for five years.

You are already un-useful to yourself, you'll become totally destitute.
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:40am On Dec 01, 2013
porka:

And this because you didn't gain admission?

JAMB is selling forms already.

Try harder this time, you don't need to stay at home for five years.

You are already un-useful to yourself, you'll become totally destitute.
I will graduate next year , but
I don't mind putting it on hold . This is not for me ,this is for the people who are still in primary schools ,this is for the generations to come. let this people get the reward for true education not this disgusted rubbish we call education in Nigeria . let f.g do the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by porka: 1:45am On Dec 01, 2013
honeric01:

Has the Attorney General sign any trade dispute agreement with any labour union before?

Has union monies ever been warehoused in a special escrow account at the CBN before?

What will you say the next time the NMA or ASSUP or NUPENG etc demands for such?
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by duddexeng(m): 2:18am On Dec 01, 2013
Both FG and ASUU will enter the guiness book of record to have succeeded in keeping students off varsities for more than five months.
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by ogahope(m): 2:22am On Dec 01, 2013
Sec5: Insincerity is not a good quality of a reasonable leader.Mr president,sign the MOU to prove ur critics wrong for once.Tufiakwa!!
to hell wt deir nonsens mou. Was it part of d tins dey put on d table ealier? ASUU strike is politically motivated. FG has ova come boko nd dey ar now usin ASUU boko. Dey wil surely fail lk boko haram in Jesus name. Amen
Re: FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan by godsony: 2:59am On Dec 01, 2013
miss.terious:
I don't understand this drama again undecided
grin
The DRAMA is very simple, GEJ just chicken out , denying the audience a real thrill

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

10 Best Universities In Nigeria By Global Ranking / What Can Make You Treat Your Pen This Way? #Hilarious photo / JAMB Admission Status Out... Jamb.org.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.