Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... (9095 Views)

My Fiance Complains That I'm Too Fat / The Way My Yoruba Friends Brother Told Me Bye Yesterday After Church / Display Of Flashy Things That Scare Broke And Responsible Dudes Away From Ladies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by nbright: 11:46am On Dec 20, 2013
Your username says it all... Just joking grin grin grin
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by EejaNla01(m): 12:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
cj1080:

Come dear, you will be approached that's true, but it's not the people she is approached by that she will like.

She might see this cute walking Chuck of a guy that she really wants attention from, he looks and the first thing that comes to mind is(how much de my wallet, where my atm de) before he considers the approach, tend his checking if she is smiling at him or boning like the mopol at a boko haram check point.

While he is considering all this and she is praying, dude get here an say hi already, some father of 3, with his wife in dubai and his kids in school will do the approach for him.

At this point the guy will go. (thank god, na aristo baby "baba I thank you from saving me and my little money"wink without knowing that the girl is going(why, does this always happen to me)

Does anyone know where I can get a mind reading app for women.
what a truism! Give this guy a Medal,he surely reads mind....Ladies and gentlemen it isn't too much to appear moderate and simple cool
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by nairaman66(m): 12:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
If you are not the Brazilian type, then go for the African Queen pose! Then we will be able to judge if you are flashy!
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by duni04(m): 12:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
If rili 80% of the guys that ask u out want u as a mistress or second wife, den ur broda was just being civil wit u wen he called u flashy. Wot he meant to say was that u luk like a runs gal.

3 Likes

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Youngsage: 12:21pm On Dec 20, 2013
Nonso23:
Your post was totally on point until the bolded.
You should know that nowadays flashy is synonimous with high-maintenance, high-maintenance synonimous with runz-girlism, runz-girlism synonimous with No Future Ambition (NFA) and even serious, well meaning, RICH GUYS, would be scared of asking flashy ladies out judging from the above deductions. NO sensible guy would want anything serious with an NFA. It's a judgemental generalization but that's how a lot of serious guys think.

@O.p it's not a problem dressing good but moderation is key. It's okay not to be a perfect barbie all the time, it's okay to have your hair out of place once in a while and also unless you are headed to a function tone done on your casuals. Men overestimate the price of clothing on women and once their meter goes into the red zone it's going to be admiration from a distance and nothing more. Only married men and play boys who have nothing to lose will want to take take such up.
It's got nothing to do with esteem, it's all about opportunity cost and time value placed on targeted goals. Say no to time wasting grin
Actually what I meant by the bolded was different, you probably saw it differently! This is the definition of flashy according to my dictionary:
Adjective: flashy |fla-shee|
1. Tastelessly showy • a flashy ring = brassy, cheap, flash, garish, gaudy, gimcrack, loud, meretricious, tacky, tatty, tawdry, trashy...

From what I understand from the O.P, I'lld say she. isn't 'flashy', but 'classy', because being flashy has a negative connatation, like you rightly implied above and such a person can't be liked by everyone or be seen as a humble person like was pointed out. Her bro should have used a different word instead.
Yea, self esteem matters a lot. There are some things you cannot say about a person if you havn't met the person. The o.p doesn't depict a flashy person to me, at least from the little description here, so any guy who is scared or intimidated by her looks/aura/personality is problably scared to approach because he feels he might not match up to what he sees. Admiring someone from a distance and not being able to walk up to the person? This clearly has to do with one's self esteem. Or a low selfworth. Has nothing to do with being 'flashy'.
@ o.p Someone your type will definitely come by, just be ready to mingle! smiley
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by samdean(m): 12:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
why no picture? will love to see it
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by cj1080(m): 12:37pm On Dec 20, 2013
Youngsage:
Actually what I meant by the bolded was different, you probably saw it differently! This is the definition of flashy according to my dictionary:
Adjective: flashy |fla-shee|
1. Tastelessly showy • a flashy ring = brassy, cheap, flash, garish, gaudy, gimcrack, loud, meretricious, tacky, tatty, tawdry, trashy...

From what I understand from the O.P, I'lld say she. isn't 'flashy', but 'classy', because being flashy has a negative connatation, like you rightly implied above and such a person can't be liked by everyone or be seen as a humble person like was pointed out. Her bro should have used a different word instead.
Yea, self esteem matters a lot. There are some things you cannot say about a person if you havn't met the person. The o.p doesn't depict a flashy person to me, at least from the little description here, so any guy who is scared or intimidated by her looks/aura/personality is problably scared to approach because he feels he might not match up to what he sees. Admiring someone from a distance and not being able to walk up to the person? This clearly has to do with one's self esteem. Or a low selfworth. Has nothing to do with being 'flashy'.
@ o.p Someone your type will definitely come by, just be ready to mingle! smiley

Sorry lad, but there is a big difference between flashy and classy in the us or the UK.

In Nigeria the BIG DIFFERENCE becomes blurred.

Flashy and classic get married and give birth to "that baby too flashy"

In an french voice "Sad, but is true, we".
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by akinsadeez(m): 1:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
The OP says she is writing for a friend and den replies different posts as if she is d one in question. Na wa oh undecided
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 20, 2013
Kelechi2020:
things men don't understand they criticize...

don't take it personal cause it is not my fault that you have low comprehension and probably uneducated like the op....
My advice
use your head plus a dictionary...
only an uneducated brat like you, would make a comment like yours. U dnt av sense of reasoning and it have eaten deep inside you.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Saraha1(f): 2:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
FrancisTony: only an uneducated brat like you, would make a comment like yours. U dnt av sense of reasoning and it have eaten deep inside you.
hahaha!! Shey na figth?
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
peachez'n'cream:
Okay, we were discussing at home this morning nd my big broda told my mum about how everyone likes me because I'm humble , smart nd down to earth but he was like "I've got good guys that are interested in a serious relationship with you but they are scared coz you are too flashy".

And I was like what's the definition of flashy? and he said "they are scared of sharing you with some other guys even after putting a ring on it". I really felt bad at his response.

My mum stylishly changed the discussion when she noticed I was getting uncomfortable.

I just got back into the country, I'm in my early twenties, caramel complexion, a graduate, i rarely go out but anytime i go out i always try to look simple with a touch of class.

I've got few friends. 5 of them are married the remaining 4 are in a serious relationship.

80% of my toasters are married men who want me as second wife or mistress. Single guys don't really ask me out probably because they think i'm the flashy type.

Please what's your definition of flashy and kindly advice on how not to look flashy.

Writing for a friend. . . .No insult pls
If you are humble and nice, just ignore his comments.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
;DYour category falls in the flashy classy type of girl

There's nothing bad been flashy if that's the way you are just like me I like flashy things!.

But flashy girls could be expensive! so most single guys out there are still struggling to make it to the top wouldn't want a situation where they can't afford to pay your bills. It's could be intimidating honestly

Normally if I see a very flashy girl - gold jeweries, clean, shoes, very expensive fone, I'm like cool pretty but I might not want to approach her due my own pocket because that kind of girls are looking forward to guys that drive porsche mayana or bentley!

Also you are just back from yankee so your skin too is kinda different and flashy so normally an economist guy wouldn't want to come near you except you are fortunate you met the rich guys, then what you will do is to mingle or go where you can find the type of classic guys that would fancy your flashy type.

Have got female friends that are flashy classy and they are currently dating the bucked up guys! I could date them easily but my budget cannot maintain them so I reverse cool grin but I like them

So when I work harder and get bucked up I will hunt for the flashy classy girl easy if i want

All you need is patience because you cannot settle for less, but if the case persists you are your own! OYO grin

2 Likes

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by seangy4konji: 3:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
U neva see anything in TU BABA voice.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ohwhy:

Am sure its those kind of braids that will reach the bombom. Its cool but not every time okay. Plsss

As for d heels, I think DAT may be d prob. My exboyfrnd's sister loves heels like mad. Wears dem everywhere, and she's got d height of a model already. All the guys that ever came her way were a disappointment. She even almost got engaged to a married man. I purposely left 2 of my flat shoes for her to start wearing. Saw it on her legs on d road one day and I smiled. Slow down on d heels, use only on some occasions.

Long braids +heels is more than just a touch of class.

I thought you were being " tongue in cheek" with your first post....and I read this..
Like, wharris dis? You are not serious/ and I am missing the irony right? Please?
Lawd
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 20, 2013
alutacontinua: @ohwhy, I disagree with you!
Trying to look classy only becomes a crime when you go beyond your abilities. U know d usual borrow-pose that some ladies do or taking money from guys to look the way their status cannot afford.
If u have the money, pls, go for things that fit in your status.

There are some things I see today and when I ask for the price, i'll waka pass. In the next 4 years, if i'm able to COMFORTABLY afford those things, i'll gladly buy them. You don't expect someone who makes USD3000 yo dress the same way she wld when she was making USD1000, do you? I'm not one to advocate for make-up and brazilian hair but u don't need all those to look classy! When you're classy, you're classy. Your steps are, your voice is, your carriage is, your aura is! Everything about you is!

As per the guyz, there are too many hu gry guys out there and their ego won't let them be, don't lower your standards because of dem, if dey can't upgrade or push their ego aside, it's their loss! There are guys who are confortable with women like you, don't let anybody tell you otherwise!
pls take this advice and watch your mates tie the not every saturday while you continue looking porsche.

1 Like

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by uchrikk(m): 5:37pm On Dec 20, 2013
peachez'n'cream:
80% of my toasters are married men who want me as second wife or mistress. Single guys don't really ask me out probably because they think i'm the flashy type.

Please what's your definition of flashy and kindly advice on how not to look flashy.

What about the remaining 20% of your toasters. I guess they are single and searching seriously. I advise you to choose from amongst them. You can honestly choose only one person at a time.

To me, being flashy means to be too artificial. Naturally or just with a little touch, you look beautiful. You don't need most of the over dressing or classy makeup. In the final analysis, all you need at any point in time is your confidence which only comes by being yourself. You are the only one that can truly define yourself. If it takes being too flashy to be your true self, then go ahead and be flashy. I bet there are several men out there who are single and seriously searching for flashy girls. Be consistent, they will find you.

1 Like

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Adaeze003(f): 5:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
Reski: pls take this advice and watch your mates tie the not every saturday while you continue looking porsche.
^^^
A girl now has to be ugly, broke and dressed like a house girl to date?... Only in 9ja sha.SMH

Now I know guys have self esteem issues! And they'll be yabbing girls. Sheesh.

All those hiding behind the excuse of 'what if 3k gift will not be enough for her' and 'what if I can't afford her bills' all you're really saying is 'what if I'm not good enough for her' it all boils down to low self esteem no matter how you say it.

@All
"Until you realise you deserve the best in life, you'll always settle for less" - Adaeze003

1 Like

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Longfellow: 5:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
[size=30pt]Money Bring Bitchez... Bitchez Bring Life[/size]

as for Me, I see Flashy Classy Babe's as Ashewo... because Many Of them dn't hv future Plans....

Any single guys that date them wil just fvck them and Run because all what they are after is Material Tinz....

What fit them is Married Men that wil fvck them and dump them.....

Though I like neat gal that dress co-operate and Clean..
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 20, 2013
Sorry for derailing this thread @OP Please go to this page and like my answer. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=744087525621177&id=314989598530974
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
@ OP: in your initial post u claimed to bé writing for a friend but subsequent response from u shows u were writing for yourselve. You are just a lying, conniving and silly biatch. Gerrout of hia jor !

1 Like

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by DutchesSsS(f): 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
@Op, I reallyy do understand what you mean....I was once described as such, I searched deep within me and today I'm different...here are some secrets;

1.) Tone down your colours...clothes, shoes, bags etc...

2.) Rock your natuural hair a little

3.) Reduce the 'hEels' (shoes)

4.) I got a smaller phone, you might consider that

5.) Avoid loud make-up

You are not changing yourself but rather improving on yourself...

To attract the RIGHT MAN, be the RIGHT WOMAN

4 Likes

Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Saraha1(f): 10:33pm On Dec 20, 2013
DutchesSsS: @Op, I reallyy do understand what you mean....I was once described as such, I searched deep within me and today I'm different...here are some secrets;

3.) Reduce the 'hEels' (shoes) .) I got a smaller phone, you might consider that

5.) Avoid loud make-up

girl you rock, thanks .op , pls fellow this guidelines and am sure the end result will be favourable to you.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by khaniku(m): 10:54pm On Dec 20, 2013
DutchesSsS: @Op, I reallyy do understand what you mean....I was once described as such, I searched deep within me and today I'm different...here are some secrets;

5.) Avoid loud make-up

TRUE!!!
Most of the time wen a guy sees how ur dress,it kinda makes them scared to talk to you,cuz they alrdy feel like u won't give them the time of the day and your too "high class" for them to take care of u.Frankly its scares the crap outta guys,they wld mre likely go after a more simple yet beautiful girl.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by touchplay(m): 11:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
Hmmmmmm.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by EejaNla01(m): 6:11am On Dec 21, 2013
Sensible post from Dutch,we aren't saying you should look rough or like rags,but simple and co operate Dazzal!

Well d matured ladies have spoken,kids should learn
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by WackyJ1(m): 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
Adaeze003:
^^^
A girl now has to be ugly, broke and dressed like a house girl to date?... Only in 9ja sha.SMH

Now I know guys have self esteem issues! And they'll be yabbing girls. Sheesh.

All those hiding behind the excuse of 'what if 3k gift will not be enough for her' and 'what if I can't afford her bills' all you're really saying is 'what if I'm not good enough for her' it all boils down to low self esteem no matter how you say it.

@All
"Until you realise you deserve the best in life, you'll always settle for less" - Adaeze003

What if you deserve the best buy cannot afford the best huh? undecided. Let us be realistic eh?

Do you think that the self esteem of many guys that drive jeeps comes from the inside or from the fact that they have the cars?

Op os flashy but humble, how many flashy girls out there are flashy but humble instead we have most cases of them being runs girls or very demanding, a guy likes a flashy thing and when he goes for it with all his self esteem, he finds that it is not self esteem that keeps the girl flashy but something more tangible than that and either he just concludes that flashy girls are like that or he tries his luck some more times (high self esteem) and discovers the same thing..

How .any rich guys out there with the self esteems or whatever are good enough to exclusively date this girl without going for other flashy things.

My point is that apart from self esteem issues, there are other things consider which were made evident in some posts up there including the one you made reference to.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by WackyJ1(m): 1:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
wingman: @ OP: in your initial post u claimed to bé writing for a friend but subsequent response from u shows u were writing for yourselve. You are just a lying, conniving and silly biatch. Gerrout of hia jor !
Is she too flashy for you?
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
Nonso23:
Your post was totally on point until the bolded.
You should know that nowadays flashy is synonymous with high-maintenance, high-maintenance synonymous with runz-girlism, runz-girlism synonymous with No Future Ambition (NFA) and even serious, well meaning, RICH GUYS, would be scared of asking flashy ladies out judging from the above deductions. NO sensible guy would want anything serious with an NFA. It's a judgemental generalization but that's how a lot of serious guys think.

@O.p it's not a problem dressing good but moderation is key. It's okay not to be a perfect barbie all the time, it's okay to have your hair out of place once in a while and also unless you are headed to a function tone done on your casuals. Men overestimate the price of clothing on women and once their meter goes into the red zone it's going to be admiration from a distance and nothing more. Only married men and play boys who have nothing to lose will want to take take such up.
It's got nothing to do with esteem, it's all about opportunity cost and time value placed on targeted goals. Say no to time wasting grin
this is just the gospel truth @op. Don't let anybdy deceive you.
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by ireneidiva(f): 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2013

5.) Avoid loud make-up

use a small phone to attract a man? Don't wear heels? Crap
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
ireneidiva:
use a small phone to attract a man? Don't wear heels? Crap

LOL cheesy
guess I have to go and buy nokia 3310 when i'm going home. undecided
Re: My Big Brother Told Me I'm Too Flashy... by 190theclown: 2:10pm On Dec 21, 2013
Kelechi2020:

I have beenmonitoring you for quite some time.......
My observations are......
You are single and badly searching for a man....
2 you always make noise about guys that you know nothing about their psychology...
3 the worst part which most gullible nlanders won't notice is that you are deceptive(deceiver) and I pity those that swallow your advice hook line and sinker...
The op is seeking advice on how to appear less flashy a and you are suggesting she stick to her status....What is that suppose to mean..
#criticise objectively

true shes single and sooner or later shes gna ask me out

just watch

aluta's the girl im gna marry everyone grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Banged My First Bank Marketer / Lady's Nude Birthday Photoshoot Earns Her Criticisms (photo) / UBUNJA's MISEDUCATION: (2020) A Man's Commitment Gives Women Orgasms.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.