Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu - Properties (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu (163525 Views)

How We Built "The Coffee Shop" / The Luxury Hotel Owned By Kaduna Commercial Transport Workers (Photos) / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 10:28pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880: We are planning to use glass and aluminum panels to separate the bath area from the toilets in the master bedrooms. Trying out one sample.

Please let's see the end result later.. But is it good to have it installed before the tiles, just observing?

Hajji M.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:39pm On Sep 17, 2014
Onuokwu: Everything is coming out well...i also like the different wall corner design in the bungalow just because its different from the norm.

I get one question sha, as it looks like water is disturbing on two of your other sites and affecting the soakaway on this particular one. Is this a common thing in Enugu? What is remedial plan. i also noticed that wall of this house is stained with algae in some places already. How you go take handle these?

I was born and raised here in this city, apart from the geography lessons in school, I have a first hand experience in matters concerning the topography of the lands here. Historically, ground water has never been a problem in Enugu. We build houses here in the center of the rainy season and still call tankers to come and supply us with water. There is very little water in most places in Enugu and that's why we don't drill boreholes easily here.

The two sites you mentioned are in the same place, affected by the same problem. It is rare in Enugu. Except for parts of Emene, and inside Nkanu East and Awgu lands where we farm rice, other places are mostly dry land for all seasons. The water level here rose as a result of incessant rains for many weeks, its drying down now.

The algae you noticed is as a result of little sunlight, that section of the house is always shielded from direct sunlight for most of the day, making it damp after each rain. Since we plan to screed the walls, l will explore the use of oil paint in the final coating.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Sep 17, 2014
mufutau55:

Please let's see the end result later.. But is it good to have it installed before the tiles, just observing?

Hajji M.

We are installing it before the tiles so that the tiles will support it on either side, ensuring it stays strong in the wall, making it almost airtight. I am afraid of screwing it onto the tiles because of a number of reasons,

1. Making sure that the air in the toilet remains in that section, in case two persons are in there at the same time. (If you know what I mean) cheesy no need to allow the occupant of the bathroom to smell what is going on in the toilet.

To make sure that the water in the bathroom and showers remain in the bathroom, not splashing on the other occupant of the toilet. For obvious reasons.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 10:57pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880:

We are installing it before the tiles so that the tiles will support it on either side, ensuring it stays strong in the wall, making it almost airtight. I am afraid of screwing it onto the tiles because of a number of reasons,

1. Making sure that the air in the toilet remains in that section, in case two persons are in there at the same time. (If you know what I mean) cheesy no need to allow the occupant of the bathroom to smell what is going on in the toilet.

To make sure that the water in the bathroom and showers remain in the bathroom, not splashing on the other occupant of the toilet. For obvious reasons.

Thank you Sir. Quite understood.

Hajji M.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Onuokwu: 9:18am On Sep 18, 2014
spyder880:

The two sites you mentioned are in the same place, affected by the same problem. It is rare in Enugu. Except for parts of Emene, and inside Nkanu East and Awgu lands where we farm rice, other places are mostly dry land for all seasons. The water level here rose as a result of incessant rains for many weeks, its drying down now.

The algae you noticed is as a result of little sunlight, that section of the house is always shielded from direct sunlight for most of the day, making it damp after each rain. Since we plan to screed the walls, l will explore the use of oil paint in the final coating.

Well understood now. Thanks for the heads up.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:32pm On Sep 21, 2014
Updates on the bathroom demarcation.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:35pm On Sep 21, 2014
Installing local metal doors

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:43pm On Sep 21, 2014
Tiles in some flats. ...

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:53pm On Sep 21, 2014
More. ....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:56pm On Sep 21, 2014
Another flat. ....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by vivienbabe(f): 3:29pm On Sep 21, 2014
It is looking good my brother.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:22pm On Sep 21, 2014
vivienbabe: It is looking good my brother.

Thank you sister.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:24pm On Sep 21, 2014
Another wall edge design. ...

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2014
I love this tiles, white with brown random stains.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
Still testing the right feel for wall edge designs for this house.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
How do you like these. ......

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 4:47am On Sep 23, 2014
spyder880: How do you like these. ......

mmm.. clears throat... Oga spyder... I've been following this thread from conception to date in the background; simply learning more about construction methods in your country. Hoping that someday very soon, I too will be as client...

I will be honest with you, with all of the naysayers that exist around me as I am based in Canada and am always told that Nigeria is the capital of fraudulent activities, I have a keen interest in developing land in Nigeria. (Mainly for family purposes.) However, watching you and others in this forum, and also with my own personal network in the country, I am beginning to develop a sense of trust and confidence that honest business people who are interested in making an honest living do exist.

As for the the detailing in questions, I find that the chevrons look rather like street signage, and thus make the house look a little less "pricey" as you want it to look. (I apologize for my lack of vocabulary as its quite late here...)

Viva

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 23, 2014
Good job Oga spyder880, Nice choice of tiles. It looks almost like the mirror image of the PVC ceiling.
Excellent
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 23, 2014
White tiles with random brown stains is the real deal.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by NL1960: 10:04am On Sep 23, 2014
vivalableue:

mmm.. clears throat... Oga spyder... I've been following this thread from conception to date in the background; simply learning more about construction methods in your country. Hoping that someday very soon, I too will be as client...

I will be honest with you, with all of the naysayers that exist around me as I am based in Canada and am always told that Nigeria is the capital of fraudulent activities, I have a keen interest in developing land in Nigeria. (Mainly for family purposes.) However, watching you and others in this forum, and also with my own personal network in the country, I am beginning to develop a sense of trust and confidence that honest business people who are interested in making an honest living do exist.

As for the the detailing in questions, I find that the chevrons look rather like street signage, and thus make the house look a little less "pricey" as you want it to look
. (I apologize for my lack of vocabulary as its quite late here...)

Viva

Quite agree with you on this. Iam not a fan of this design at all.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Onuokwu: 10:29am On Sep 23, 2014
spyder880: Still testing the right feel for wall edge designs for this house.

This looks like the real deal!
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
We spent most of today doing tiles on the staircase of this house.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
Tiles in some more flats. .....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:05pm On Sep 26, 2014
Window burglary proof, door dressing for the gate house.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 1:18am On Sep 27, 2014
Oga Spyder, what is the essence of window hoods apart from decorations? Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:55am On Sep 27, 2014
mufutau55: Oga Spyder, what is the essence of window hoods apart from decorations? Thanks.

Hajji M.

Mainly for decorative purposes. People may also complain about splashes of rain water rain water dropping on their window sill direct from the walls. The hoods can channel some water away from the sill.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by PeoplesArmy: 12:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
spyder880: Tiles in some more flats. .....

I am curious. What is the essence of rubbing cement on the tiles after laying them?

Are you not planning to use skirtings in this house? Me thinks it will make it more biuriful....
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 1:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
spyder880:
Mainly for decorative purposes. People may also complain about splashes of rain water rain water dropping on their window sill direct from the walls. The hoods can channel some water away from the sill.

Thank you. Very informative.. I was thinking about the second reason too... but not sure if it is effective. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 1:39pm On Sep 27, 2014
PeoplesArmy:

I am curious. What is the essence of rubbing cement on the tiles after laying them?

Are you not planning to use skirtings in this house? Me thinks it will make it more biuriful....

Ans 1: May be to seal all the cracks..

Ans 2: I am sure they will put the skirtings, but the tiles will have to dry first so they can stand on it to put the skirting tiles.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:30am On Sep 29, 2014
The upper floor tiles are almost ready. .....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:36am On Sep 29, 2014
The staircase area are all getting our attention.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:39am On Sep 29, 2014
More staircase area work.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (50) (Reply)

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? / Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.