Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) (65780 Views)

Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / 20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by omogenaija(f): 9:03pm On May 26, 2007
he's actucally right embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by BabaDibia: 9:28pm On May 26, 2007
wh'os actualy right?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by omogenaija(f): 9:30pm On May 26, 2007
the poster who posted bout immgration on the look out
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by finemocha(f): 9:32pm On May 26, 2007
it's the easiest way to go sometimes, just make sure the person knows about it, u know a simple business transaction. dont try to lie or have an elaborate white wedding, i know some naija bros who made the mistake of doing that, now they are back home and can never come back to the US not even on a visiting visa.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by spoilt(f): 4:47am On Jun 28, 2007
i believe marriage is sacred. but i realize im in the minority. grin
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by temmyabby(f): 3:18pm On Jun 29, 2007
guess i'm lucky i don't ve to go through that,
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 29, 2007
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry angryA lot you ppl are the reason why ppl who really do love each other like me and my fiance are having such a hard time getting the damn paperwork done!!!!! I am an American citizen and my fiance is from Nigeria and we have to put up with tons and tons of governemnt shit that would not be there if it were not for dishonest ppl like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and even if you do get through all the political loops (like meeting in person and providing pictures to prove it and how you feel for each other) and make it to the US you have to be married for 2 years and that is only a temporary green card. You have to wait to get the "permanant" one which is only good for 10 years. There are a number of time constraints that if you do not make your paperwork is shut down.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by ceasyc(f): 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2007
is there any other POSITIVE option for ppl wit visit visas or illegal immigrants
(ppl without any legal status in d uk or u.s)
u gats to do wot u gats 2 do to avoid d shame of being deported someday
or ur heart skipping weneva u hear d word immigration or police/
hiding in another man's land like ur a fugitive
although dis arrangie makes it difficult for d genuine marriages now cos d govt suspects every1 now

just b careful who u wan give ur moni to for dat kind tin sha,419s dey out there both
whites n blacks (e no mata where dem com from), if some ppl no dat ur desperate or needy
dey take d mickie. advantage or take d piss (use u anyhow and u might still not get wot u want at d end of d day)

alot of ppl pretend to love some1 and marry dem for d paper without d other person
knowing d real reason
d day wey dem get their final stay,dem go flee without notice even if kids are already
involved (VERY BAD!)

in d uk,getting ur stay is not straight4ward or dat easy: it takes time, moni n proceedures
to get married,then u gats to file for ur paper wit or without solicitors(best wit). u have to
wait to get a reply of yes or no. if yes, u get a temp stay first e.g. 2 years or 5 yrs. u have to
keep d person sweet for alll dem days/weeks/months/years (not easy,some ppl can be v.demanding
and diff to please)

wen dat one don complete then u fit apply for permanent stay.dis one get more proceedures:
u gats to prove with payslips, lots of bills dat 2 show dat u have been living 2geda all those years
witout recourse to public funds, etc. if u no get d real n correct proof,forget it,kiss ur paper/stay
goodbye
(bak to square 1). if u get proof n dem give u permanent stay then u gats to wait at least 1 year
to apply for nationalisation (to be british or apply for uk passport).oh dont 4get d life in d uk test, u must pass am 1st

i dont no about d u.s but in d uk if u b illegal immi or u get visit visa, ur not allowed to marry in d country anymore
u gats to go to ur home country to do dat n file ur papers from there. d immi law changes a lot
dis is all i can remember,there may b more
o boi e no easyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Mulatto: 6:28am On Jun 02, 2008
Hi, I have a big, big decision and I need your help.
I met this beautiful Nigerian women. We went out on a date a couple weeks ago and things seemed ok but I had no true indication of whether or not we were making a connection. I personally thought that she was gorgeous and very sweet and lovable. She actually made us dinner that night before the date. Having talked a few times in b/w on the phone everything was going slow, suddenly today she asks me to meet her because she has something very important to ask me. It turns out she filed twice for a visa, cancelled the first, and went through with the second. Unfortunately immigration is looking at the first as a violation and they are threatening deportation. The only reason she came to the USA was to go to FAA school, which she is currently attending and she showed me paperwork to prove it as well as lawyer's documentation being used to fight immigration. Long-story short she asked me if I would help her by marrying her. I told her that I view the institution of marriage as a sacred one and I only planned to have one marriage. She agreed and was sympathetic with my reasoning. My solution was to do a speed-dating session, where we go out everyday until she had no alternative but to get married, that's a week or two of dating/decision-making. Am I crazy? Am I doing the right thing? do you think she will drop me as soon as possible?
I personally think she is a sweet, honest, caring person and absolutely gorgeous in my eyes. I have always believed in the Indian tradition of quick marriages and learn/enjoy on the go, so that is not a problem. I just want to make sure that I am not setting myself up for heartbreak. I am an American.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by femigirl(f): 9:04am On Jun 02, 2008
All I can say is get married because you love the person and no other reason. I believe in Karma.

keep loving
x
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by sistajay(f): 9:06am On Jun 02, 2008
Yeah, I agree with you Femigirl, it's best to marry for a reason and that reason should be love.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Vicjustice: 10:05am On Jun 04, 2008
Mulatto:

Hi,  I have a big, big decision and I need your help.
I met this beautiful Nigerian women.  We went out on a date a couple weeks ago and things seemed ok but I had no true indication of whether or not we were making a connection. I personally thought that she was gorgeous and very sweet and lovable. She actually made us dinner that night before the date. Having talked a few times in b/w on the phone everything was going slow,  suddenly today she asks me to meet her because she has something very important to ask me. It turns out she filed twice for a visa, cancelled the first, and went through with the second. Unfortunately immigration is looking at the first as a violation and they are threatening deportation. The only reason she came to the USA was to go to FAA school, which she is currently attending and she showed me paperwork to prove it as well as lawyer's documentation being used to fight immigration. Long-story short she asked me if I would help her by marrying her. I told her that I view the institution of marriage as a sacred one and I only planned to have one marriage. She agreed and was sympathetic with my reasoning. My solution was to do a speed-dating session, where we go out everyday until she had no alternative but to get married,  that's a week or two of dating/decision-making. Am I crazy? Am I doing the right thing? do you think she will drop me as soon as possible?
I personally think she is a sweet, honest, caring person and absolutely gorgeous in my eyes. I have always believed in the Indian tradition of quick marriages and learn/enjoy on the go, so that is not a problem. I just want to make sure that I am not setting myself up for heartbreak. I am an American.
Hi
   If you believe you're in love with her, and you consider her deserving a help of this magnitude, then go ahead and marry her. As for the fear that she might drop you; trust me, it's not Nigerian women tradition to drop their husbands especially for selfish reasons: Believe me, Nigerian women do stay with their husbands even persevering hard times except given the extreme cause to quite a marriage.
   Take this, she won't drop you after she got her documents; in fact, she'd want to stay with you because you're her pride and hero.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Nwaka77: 3:15am On Jun 05, 2008
Vicjustice:

Hi
If you believe you're in love with her, and you consider her deserving a help of this magnitude, then go ahead and marry her. As for the fear that she might drop you; trust me, it's not Nigerian women tradition to drop their husbands especially for selfish reasons: Believe me, Nigerian women do stay with their husbands even persevering hard times except given the extreme cause to quite a marriage.
Take this, she won't drop you after she got her documents; in fact, she'd want to stay with you because you're her pride and hero.

Very true
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by DaJunta(m): 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2008
Mulatto:

Hi, I have a big, big decision and I need your help.
I met this beautiful Nigerian women. We went out on a date a couple weeks ago and things seemed ok but I had no true indication of whether or not we were making a connection. I personally thought that she was gorgeous and very sweet and lovable. She actually made us dinner that night before the date. Having talked a few times in b/w on the phone everything was going slow, suddenly today she asks me to meet her because she has something very important to ask me. It turns out she filed twice for a visa, cancelled the first, and went through with the second. Unfortunately immigration is looking at the first as a violation and they are threatening deportation. The only reason she came to the USA was to go to FAA school, which she is currently attending and she showed me paperwork to prove it as well as lawyer's documentation being used to fight immigration. Long-story short she asked me if I would help her by marrying her. I told her that I view the institution of marriage as a sacred one and I only planned to have one marriage. She agreed and was sympathetic with my reasoning. My solution was to do a speed-dating session, where we go out everyday until she had no alternative but to get married, that's a week or two of dating/decision-making. Am I crazy? Am I doing the right thing? do you think she will drop me as soon as possible?

Pally, u can go ahead and marry her but remember that most white babes that date a black man can never date a white guy again. Why Because they believe that black guys are so caring, loving, understanding, loyal, sweet etc but u should know a typical african man can love but will always be in charge. The black guys pretend to be so nice and loving but once they get their paper, they head 4 divorce.

How sure are u that the babe no dey act
U are in a better position 2 decide cos i remember u wouldnt wanna get married twice.

If u rush in there is every tendency that u will rush out grin
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Tegese: 7:40pm On Jun 10, 2008
i believe no one can give you better advice than you yourself because, you r the person who knows the full story. anyway, goodluck
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 10, 2008
You know too little about this lady to decide to take her story hook line and sinker(did i get that right)
Right now she see's you as her ticket to staying in the US, so what u see as loving and caring may just be an end to a means.

Its not impossible that she has a longstanding relationship which can only be formalised when her status is legal

you are risking a lot for someone you really dont know her TRUE history

My advice? PROMISE HER NOTHING, if you guys were meant to be let it happen naturally

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 02, 2008
I wont even hesitate to marry the woman sharp sharp and get my visa.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by samuelxx08: 3:11pm On Sep 06, 2008
ok,
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by MsLurker(f): 6:28pm On Oct 29, 2008
I think it's wrong to mislead someone.

I'm not sure how people can do that and know in their heart what their real intentions are.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by suricattca(f): 9:53pm On Oct 29, 2008
I dont want to marry. If u want to be with somebody, u can be without wedding. But i can marry and give somebody green card wink For me, married is only s*** document, the green card too. I understand people who getting married for the green card.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by MsLurker(f): 3:06pm On Oct 30, 2008
I understand it too BUT I don't understand why some people trick women (or men) into falling for them when all they want is citizenship. It's evil.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Biabeke(f): 2:28am On Nov 20, 2008
This is a common trend among die hard Nigerians who want to come to America at all cost but in reality when this men and women get what they want they really don't do much with it than go mess around with someone else having kids all over the place and engage in illegal activities.
I had an experience with my ex-Hus,he came here because He want his green card now he has what he want but won't let go.I don't love him and he never did love me too all he wanted was his papers to come to the states.
they are alot of Nigerians going through this shameless act both men and women.Before you do anything think twice about it because karma will always have it's way.Sooner or later it's just a matter of time .it does not count if you believe in God,Jesus,Mohammed,Hindu e.t.c.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Thadude(m): 4:50pm On Nov 24, 2008
Whats all the hyper about getting married for greencard. If you have the opportunity to do it, why ask?
If ur lucky enough not to go through the waiting and tensions associated with it then Thank your GOD. No body lives in your world but YOU no body can tell it better how it feels to be a floater than YOU! No body knows better what it mean to have ur heart in ur mouth but unable to swallow it than U! Europeans do it, Canadians do it, Recently i met a danish student at a law firm in Detroit seeking the advise of a lawyer to contract a marriage in order that he becomes a citizen. Even wonderful Australia their citizens seeks ways to marry US citizens . Cos' living in Obamaland is like living in the SKY your totally free, you dont even have to tolerate ur parents if you dont want to. The only free country existing in the world till tomorrow. Recent immigration statistics showed that the number of international females gettin married to acquire US citizenship out numbers male 5:1. so, ?

Those who say die hard Nigerians how did you come to America?, even if u were born here, ask your parent how they came here and became legal. If u came as a student why didnt u stay true and go back after ur schooling?, wasnt that a question presented before you during ur interview for a student visa?, So! u lied and stayed behind after sch. Obama's father is a good example. It is the so called African girls who go to America or are born their and forget the African culture who end up becomig baby mamas, who dont wanna sweep or clean, who want a man she can remote?, shouldnt common sense tell you something aint right when an African man starts behaving like an American man, sweeping, cleaning washing ur clothes, washing plates taking care of the kids while u d woman acts like the bread winner? Yeah u'll know u got him when he leaves ur ASS, dont cry over split milk do what ur fellow African American ladies do (wannabes), move on get another man and keep tryin until u are 60 and become a granny.
Other nationalities they let it die off after divorce Nigerian girls make noise about it! this is slavery in another form. Good enough, the US immigration is aware of internal slavery people face when married to US citizens and tht is why they is a clause you can invoke wit the help of a lawyer during the first year of marriage to get a divorce and still remain in the USA, although u need evidence, it is something u can gather without the awareness of the ur US citizen spouse. Thank GOD for America brains they know that both sides have fault. The problem is that many spouse to US Citizens are unaware of that clause and they re removed from the country after divorce. This is a new form of slavery! because of US citizenship, u re telling me i have to sell my life to want yeye woman, ?? GOD forbid.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Moves: 11:12am On Dec 03, 2008
@ Idocare; what tha_dude is trying to say is there are always two sides to a coin; I grateful i don't find my self in such situation; but have met many who are; The main reason my best friend married his wife was for paper; he has since gotten the paper; but they are still together 10years; he has grown to love her so much that he doesnt go nowhere without her; they have the happiest family of all the couples around me myself included.
I have also seen cases where the sponsor treats the partner like crap just because they haven't gotten the full paper; and when they now do and pacjk up and go they start crying foul play. My Believe is you marry someone for one reason or the other depending on how important the reason is to you; to some it is the partners physique; wealth; greencard, if you work hard at your relationship then there is a high chance it would work as there are always challenges (cultural, financial etc) in a marital relationship.

And Idocare; I think u should look more closely at the reason why your marriage failed; as i find it hard to accept it that ur hubby married you because of greencard, as according to your statement he was well off in nigeria; and being a practising medical doctor he doesnt need to marry an American citizen to leave nigeria; becaiuse he's skillset are always in demand. Futhermore, as a responsible Ibo man; the Ibo culture places alot of importance to the First Male Child; so he wouldn't up and go just because of greencard. Please note; am not saying the dude is a goodguy; he could be real bastard for all i know; is just that i believe that there would be other factors not just the greencard; Alimony payment is not cheap.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by sistawoman: 9:09pm On Dec 03, 2008
Moves:

The main reason my best friend married his wife was for paper; he has since gotten the paper; but they are still together 10years; he has grown to love her so much that he doesnt go nowhere without her; they have the happiest family of all the couples around me myself included.

Thank you more than you know for this statement.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Kazakhstan Air Astana's Aircraft That Is Painted To Look Like A Snow Leopard / Asian Crew Killed 2 Stowaway Nigerians On Japanese Ship, Threw Some Into Sea / How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.