Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Ugly Britain - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ugly Britain (106736 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / Nigerians, Highest Number Of African Criminals In Britain - UK Home Office / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Go Down)

Re: Ugly Britain by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2008
pafun am nt out to stroke u on this forum am just askin if u were refused an immigrant visa.wel am nt illetrate as u think.''AM EVERYTHING UVE NEVA ACHIEVED'' cool go get sum manners
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 1:40pm On Oct 26, 2008
babs2aroks:

pafun am nt out to stroke u on this forum am just askin if u were refused an immigrant visa.wel am nt illetrate as u think.''AM EVERYTHING UVE never ACHIEVED'' cool go get sum manners
Point well proved from the quality of this reply. You are definitely NOT half literate either. cheesy

DISCLAIMER : To all that it may concern and especially the rabid Anglophiles on this forum , Joseph Adeyeye is NOT Pafun . This is important so that you don't start to molest and winch the guy all over the place. And please stop crying , we all know that some dreams might have unfortunately died here, but I pray that God will grant you the fortitude to bear the loss. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by Vieira(m): 2:22pm On Oct 26, 2008
This one is a movie: http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/TrustyShellback/Sports/millwall.jpg

This another popular movie: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/graphics/2007/04/27/bfthis.jpg

This is a model shot : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/graphics/2007/04/27/bfthis.jpg

The guy in this pix is an actor (black suit) but not sure what film this is: https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/101292_marriage_notice_gays_kissing_jpg21e16f1a58779cc254ee6a56e9d67db5

This pix was taken on the day that the ban against alcohol on the tube was introduced, it was an organised protest: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gFJgEnemrcYy/610x.jpg

My point is that when you have a good idea to convey you lose credibility when you use false/fake/wrong pictures.

immediately your whole point is dismissed as rubbish.

I am sure that all those scenes I have said are from movies could be found in real life and even worse but make the effort to find proper pixs.
Re: Ugly Britain by texazzpete(m): 3:23pm On Oct 26, 2008
lol
The poster is telling us what we already know; there's no place in the world that's perfect.
The thing is, hardly any educated person believes the myth that streets overseas are paved with gold, so i wonder who his target audience here is.
Also it's one thing to report, it's another to use false images and lie just to make a point. What's up with the exaggeration? I've been to the UK repeatedly and his assertions that 'most' areas are like that are patently untrue.

There are far better ways to combat brain drain than a smear campaign.
Re: Ugly Britain by Gamine(f): 3:28pm On Oct 26, 2008
How is this a smear campaign

the last time i posted on this thread, it was all fun

now it has turned political and racist.

Chei!

and yes Texazz, we know you have been to the UK repeatedly

Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2008
Vieira:

I am sure that all those scenes I have said are from movies could be found in real life and even worse but make the effort to find proper pixs.

Thanks for the lifeline cheesy cheesy . So what is the point of your post , as you've also only proved like every other zealots unable to have a good laugh at yourself and at life - which is quite an unBritish attitude ? As a fact most of my closest friends are British - black and white , and by the way is there any place on this thread that it was mentioned that Pafun went about taking pictures in UK ?
As you conceded though "all those scenes could be found in real life and even worse" , so, can we have some from you please grin grin

@Texazzpete
Where is it stated that MOST areas in UK are like this ? A SMEAR campaign exists only in your mind not mine.
Re: Ugly Britain by Thor(m): 3:32pm On Oct 26, 2008
A few from Nigeria grin grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by Thor(m): 3:34pm On Oct 26, 2008
Nigerian High Tech grin grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 3:39pm On Oct 26, 2008
@Thor
Absolutely funny pics. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO
By the way I can do better work with Photoshop on the plane picture , and to compare Nigeria to a shit hole surely has sorry implications . I personally wouldn't go around telling everybody that my parents are cockroaches from a shithole so I am in a way really sorry for you. grin grin
Again the two animals pulling the cart are "cows" and not "bulls" , and no part of Lagos looks like that so you may have to rename that invention of yours (I suggest Gusau Caddilac TwinCows GT , No ? Cadillac and the people of Gusau are going to be cross with you though ) . more grin grin
I don't know what to say about the first three pictures . Do they have anything to do with your childhood before you were taken away to London grin grin
The title of this thread is "Ugly Britain" though , if you can read. grin grin grin
LMAO
LMAO
LMAO

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by pie1ect(m): 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2008
It's interesting to see all the hating coming from Nigerians especially, the ones living in the UK.

By the way, I live in Edinburgh, one of the finest cities in the UK. Before that I lived in Bolton/manchester and I've travalled a lot in the UK, so I can safely say I've seen some of the best and worst of Britain.

The moral of this thread (at the beginning at least), was to show Nigerians back home that the UK may not be all it is made up to be in the minds of Nigerians. C'mon, let's be honest with ourselves.

There are lots of positives about the UK, good roads, clean air, good education system (top-class), access to credit and whatever else.

But  there are also negatives, especially for immigrants - Crime rate (especially knife crime, very high), visa problems (pray you don't get into one), jobs (career jobs, I mean), debt (very easy to get into) and what not.

I don't believe Pafun started this thread to spite the UK or it's citizens. Why Naija brits are getting into a twist about it, is beyond me. I am still trying to figure out what goes on in the head of some Naija-brit(not all, before someone puts a gun to my head). I know too many of them and especially the ones who study at college and Uni. here in UK, it's practically impossible to say anything bad about UK in front of them.

I know one who'll go as far as insulting his own mother, in my presence, if she so much as suggested that life in Nigeria was not as stressful as it is now with the family in England. This guy's father was a bank manager in Nigeria before they left and came to UK. But today he is a teacher in London. He gets called up to work (by the agency) maybe once or twice a week. The rest of the time, he's out and about looking for anything he can lay his hands on.

Sometimes though, I think we Nigerians that are not british seem to want to take the piss and try to rub our Nigerian-ness into the faces of our Naija-brit friends. I know I do, sometimes.

Whatever though, let's tone down the rhetoric. No need for abuse and name-calling. There is a reason why Nigerians are so eager to leave their country and it doesn't all have to do with bad press from other countries. Some conditions at home are unbearable. On the flip-side, most press related to Nigeria and Africa generally is mostly bad press and that is undeniable even by the most british-Nigerian. Or even the British or American press themselves.

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by gamechange(m): 5:19pm On Oct 26, 2008
@pie1ect

Well said

@Pafun

My brother abeg carry on, this thing too funny, I don't know why people can't just laugh this off, this is supposed to be fun and for those who don't like, on your bike, move swiftly on, I don't see no weapon against your heads.
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2008
pie1ect:

It's interesting to see all the hating coming from Nigerians especially, the ones living in the UK.

By the way, I live in Edinburgh, one of the finest cities in the UK. Before that I lived in Bolton/manchester and I've travalled a lot in the UK, so I can safely say I've seen some of the best and worst of Britain.

The moral of this thread (at the beginning at least), was to show Nigerians back home that the UK may not be all it is made up to be in the minds of Nigerians. C'mon, let's be honest with ourselves.

There are lots of positives about the UK, good roads, clean air, good education system (top-class), access to credit and whatever else.

But there are also negatives, especially for immigrants - Crime rate (especially knife crime, very high), visa problems (pray you don't get into one), jobs (career jobs, I mean), debt (very easy to get into) and what not.

I don't believe Pafun started this thread to spite the UK or it's citizens. Why Naija brits are getting into a twist about it, is beyond me. I am still trying to figure out what goes on in the head of some Naija-brit(not all, before someone puts a gun to my head). I know too many of them and especially the ones who study at college and Uni. here in UK, it's practically impossible to say anything bad about UK in front of them.

I know one who'll go as far as insulting his own mother, in my presence, if she so much as suggested that life in Nigeria was not as stressful as it is now with the family in England. This guy's father was a bank manager in Nigeria before they left and came to UK. But today he is a teacher in London. He gets called up to work (by the agency) maybe once or twice a week. The rest of the time, he's out and about looking for anything he can lay his hands on.

Sometimes though, I think we Nigerians that are not british seem to want to take the piss and try to rub our Nigerian-ness into the faces of our Naija-brit friends. I know I do, sometimes.

Whatever though, let's tone down the rhetoric. No need for abuse and name-calling. There is a reason why Nigerians are so eager to leave their country and it doesn't all have to do with bad press from other countries. Some conditions at home are unbearable. On the flip-side, most press related to Nigeria and Africa generally is mostly bad press and that is undeniable even by the most british-Nigerian. Or even the British or American press themselves.

Splendid !!
Finally someone who has really experienced living in the UK and not just some emotional twit.
Your friend's father is lucky to get called up by the agency twice a week. Some only get to work two days in a month and these are teachers for God's sake - they are supposed to be ALWAYS in demand !! My auntie a nurse of more than two decades experience and living in UK for more than 15 years sometimes doesn't get an employment agency call for more than 2 months !! I personally know a Naija doctor from my church who lives on unemployment benefits. Now if these people with preferred skills are doing this badly you can imagine how all these other loudmouths on this forum with lesser skills may be doing.

There is a reason why Nigerians are so eager to leave their country and it doesn't all have to do with bad press from other countries. Some conditions at home are unbearable.
Migration is not all about bad conditions at home , It is also about adventure . Many of my British professional colleagues were working in Australia, New Zealand, US , Canada , Middle East even before the economy went pafuka in UK , and also there were lots of Antipodeans that we worked together in the UK many wondering what they were doing there as it was cheaper to live at home. Even if Naija had the best of everything in the world those who will migrate will still migrate.
Re: Ugly Britain by bagoma(f): 5:29pm On Oct 26, 2008
Well said Pie1ect!

Man, its been so long, didnt know u still visit NL
Re: Ugly Britain by texazzpete(m): 5:36pm On Oct 26, 2008
pafun:

@Texazzpete
Where is it stated that MOST areas in UK are like this ?  A SMEAR  campaign exists only in your mind not mine.

well, you DID say

Rubbish left in the street are common occurrence in most parts of London

and used the word 'typical' a couple of times.

however, it seems i made the cardinal error of reading just the first two pages and the punch link. Reading through the remaining pages, it seems things have taken a turn for the interesting, and i take back the 'smear campaign' statement!
Gamine:

and yes Texazz, we know you have been to the UK repeatedly

That always nettles ya, doesn't it, little one?
You wey no wan let anybody rest for the 'people staying in lekki' thread. Gamine = Elitist No 1  grin

No worry, i still like u sha. But i hope ur husband beats you everyday  grin
Re: Ugly Britain by bagoma(f): 5:50pm On Oct 26, 2008
pafun:

Splendid !!
Finally someone who has really experienced living in the UK and not just emotional twits.
Your friend's father is lucky to get called up by the agency twice a week. Some only get to work two days in a month and these are teachers for God's sake  - thet are supposed to be ALWAYS in demand !! My auntie  a nurse of more than two decades experience and living in UK for more than 15 years sometimes doesn't get an employment  agency call for more than 2 months !!  I personally know a Naija doctor from my church who lives on unemployment benefits. Now if these people with preferred skills are doing this badly you can imagine what all these other loudmouths on this forum with lesser skills may be doing. Migration is not all about bad conditions at home , It is also about adventure . Many of my British professional colleagues were working in Australia, New Zealand, US , Canada , Middle East even before the economy went  pafuka in UK , and also there were lots of Antipodeans that we worked together in the UK many wondering what they were doing there as it was cheaper to live at home. Even if Naija had the best of everything in the world those who will migrate will still migrate.

pafun,
well done jare.
as bad as Nigeria is, we still have foreigners living and working here. among them are british citizens.
people migrate for various reasons!
Re: Ugly Britain by richo(m): 5:57pm On Oct 26, 2008
1) no where is perfect!!
2) u have to put into consideration the date when the pictures where taken
3) if u no like britain, stay for ya house!! no be by force!!
its good as you are enlightenin those who think sey the place na heaven but pls dnt discourage them totally, we all know that life in britico is way more civilized than in naija!! grin
Re: Ugly Britain by Pataki: 5:58pm On Oct 26, 2008
@ Pataki

I am completely convinced that you live nowhere near the UK

Indeed Sir. Remain convinced and confused about my nowhere living near the UK. grin cheesy grin

Pray tell me which UK vehicle plate no is square in shape from the first picture I quoted from you?

Pray tell me which UK vehicle plate no is white colored painted at the rear?

My point is this: No nation is devoid of negative acts but for you to paint your Ugly Britain with astonishing lies in respect to the pictures posted and refer it to the UK calls for serious prayers on your head. And for Punch Newspaper to make reference to it without verifying how true those pictures of yours are, speaks low of Nigerian Journalism.
Re: Ugly Britain by skype2: 6:03pm On Oct 26, 2008
modafuking britain man grin
Re: Ugly Britain by tundetire: 6:09pm On Oct 26, 2008
cool cool cool
Re: Ugly Britain by Gamine(f): 6:21pm On Oct 26, 2008
Texazz,

Elite wetin?, You must be mixing people up undecided
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 6:25pm On Oct 26, 2008
Pataki:

Indeed Sir. Remain convinced and confused about my nowhere living near the UK. grin cheesy grin

Pray tell me which UK vehicle plate no is square in shape from the first picture I quoted from you?

Pray tell me which UK vehicle plate no is white colored painted at the rear?

My point is this: No nation is devoid of negative acts but for you to paint your Ugly Britain with astonishing lies in respect to the pictures posted and refer it to the UK calls for serious prayers on your head. And for Punch Newspaper to make reference to it without verifying how true those pictures of yours are, speaks low of Nigerian Journalism.
Hello genius . You missed the point and I am sure many people are laughing at you because you are so emotional about all this. I do not know which photos you refer to , but if you have like all the other emotional zealots taken the pain to read all the comments in this thread , you will not be at risk of dying from hypertension tonight ,in defending a slave farm that you bought yourself into with your own money.
But let's briefly talk about your car (number plates) - and let's assume because you insist so, that they are not British . If I decide to take a trip from Lagos to Accra in my car , do I need to change the plates at Benin, Togo, and Ghana ? Similarly if some adventurer decided to take a car trip from Germany (or wherever) to Scotland do they have to buy new number plates along the way ?
Waka pass bros. grin

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by Bastage: 6:39pm On Oct 26, 2008

And there's absolutely no problem with that. The problem comes when the poster fabricates his evidence to prove his point.

And Pataki is absolutely correct. Those are not UK numberplates. The excuse that they may just be tourist cars is a poor one. Those vehicles are driving on the right. In the UK, they drive on the left.
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2008
OK fair enough. Nothing that can't be done/changed with a photo editing program though if anyone is desperate enough. I am not sufficiently given to intrigue though , so no sweat for me on this.
Please refer to the post above and take a cue from it :
@Vieira
Have a good weekend sir.
And smile - you deserve to at least once in a while. smiley
Re: Ugly Britain by Pataki: 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2008
pafun:

Hello genius . You missed the point and I am sure many people are laughing at you because you are so emotional about all this. I do not know which photos you refer to , but if you have like all the other emotional zealots taken the pain to read all the comments in this thread , you will not be at risk of dying from hypertension tonight ,in defending a slave farm that you bought yourself into with your own money.
But let's briefly talk about your car (number plates) - and let's assume because you insist so, that they are not British . If I decide to take  a trip from Lagos to Accra in my car , do I need to change the plates at Benin, Togo, and Ghana ? Similarly if some adventurer decided to take a car trip  from Germany (or wherever) to Scotland  do they have to buy new number plates along the way ?
Waka pass bros.  grin
Obviously you are still new on the block. Hence I can tolerate how you reason and your futile attempt to put me in the box of defending the UK. I will say things as they are whether it is in my favor or probably against it. And it definitely infers that I will not join the band-wagon of those who celebrate lies of some of the pictures you have posted and labeled them as situation events in the UK.

Now as Bastage has told you, take a look at those pictures and tell me whether it is a left hand or right hand driving system that is evident with those pictures. Claiming ignorance to the pictures will not help out in this stance. grin

Mr Tourist driver to the UK. You are even prepared to defend nameless internet pictures/movie clips just to make yourself feel more happy and relevant. How do you reason? grin cheesy grin
Re: Ugly Britain by ono(m): 7:37pm On Oct 26, 2008
I think that write-up by Adeyeye Joseph might fire up the passion that's building up already in the hearts and minds of new generation Nigerians (at home and in the diaspora - ''Diasporic Nigerians''). To the extent that they will begin to do some ''extraordinary'' things to bring us at par with other economies of the world.
Re: Ugly Britain by bagoma(f): 7:43pm On Oct 26, 2008
@ mr Pataki,
so are you saying now that pictures like the ones posted cannot be found anywhere in the UK?
you are saying there are no prostitutes in the UK? undecided
Re: Ugly Britain by ono(m): 7:46pm On Oct 26, 2008
bagoma,
Erm, lets talk outside of here. . . . at the usual place.
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 7:49pm On Oct 26, 2008
Everywhere you look MORE ashewo prostitutes : grin grin grin

NOTE : please disregard some of earlier posting on prostitutes as it has just be pointed out to me in recent posts by Messrs Bassogi and Pantaki that ONE picture shows some people breaking the law by using WRONG number plates and driving on the WRONG side of the road. It also appears these two gentlemen know some of the girls in the pictures personally - especially the naked one with the fat butt in a red room waiting for a bus. The error is regretted grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by JJYOU: 7:52pm On Oct 26, 2008
bagoma:

@ mr Pataki,
so are you saying now that pictures like the ones posted cannot be found anywhere in the UK?

that is not the point. a lie is a lie. one lie told 300X doesn@t become true.  those pics were not taken in the UK period. many things gave it away
Re: Ugly Britain by Pataki: 7:53pm On Oct 26, 2008
bagoma:

@ mr Pataki,

I am not saying that. And my point can easily be deciphered. However for clarity, my point still remains that, yes those pictures are meant as jokes for those thinking that Europe most especially the UK is a land of milk and honey to have a rethink. However to pass across his message with pictures that have no identity to the UK nullifies his intentions.

Hope you got me clearly now. smiley
Re: Ugly Britain by Bastage: 7:55pm On Oct 26, 2008
Of the latest three.

The top one has "Posed by model" in the corner.
The second isn't of the UK.
The third does look like the UK.

But shit. That chick could be waiting for a bus!!! grin
Re: Ugly Britain by nana(f): 7:56pm On Oct 26, 2008
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26)

Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts / Nigerian In Philippines Displays Relief Items Given To Him By Government / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.