Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,998 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work (28784 Views)

The One Word That Kills Adult Friendships / Friendships With Opposite Sex In Marriage / (ladies) Why Are Most Female Friendships Short Lived? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by jeff1607(m): 11:20am On Jun 29, 2014
Dats the more reason why I don't keep friends.always wanting to get something(collecting) how I wish animals esp dogs cud talk
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Caracta(f): 11:21am On Jun 29, 2014
satanist: angry shocked shocked what do you mean "WE" ........... me ? gay?. ......... NEVER!! grin

cheesy
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 29, 2014
dahonestboss: Cross gender relationship works, if it doesnt work for you, then you need to examine your mindset and the kind of people you hang out with. As a matter of fact, my best friend is a young lady, and after my family (not even cousin), she comes next. I know all what we have been through and we both have our own different partners.

Friendship is give and take, but not giving and taking sex as return.

Absolutely. One of my closest friends in the world is a man. We're like siblings. I listen to him, give him relationship advice, I'm the first to call him on his birthday, and whenever I'm in Nigeria I bring him gifts (which he tries to refuse). He listens to me, gives me advice, and worries about me, drives me places (if he's available--I'm not a brat.) We know each other's deepest secrets and fears. Never given money, but if the other needed it, we'd empty our bank accounts for each other.

We do all these things, not as some kind of scorekeeping whatever, but because we WANT to, because we care about each other. The way you would feel about an only sibling.

I'm wondering if OP knows what true friendship is.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by chidibond(m): 11:22am On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove: Op, I don't know what you're talking about. One of my closest friends is a guy who I've known for 15yrs now( since secondary school). He lectures in Canada now, but not once has there ever been any awkwardness between us. There is almost nothing we can't tell each other, and never once have we ever had the issues you mentioned. He's a friend and a brother, and our friendship waxes stronger.
CANADA, obviously not in regular close physical contact to be considered a friend. More like an e-buddy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by justi4jesu(f): 11:22am On Jun 29, 2014
I, for one, think that when it comes to married couples, cross-gender friendships are not wise.

Everyone has an opinion and an anecdote to share.

I found that while women are generally not attracted to their male friends and saw the relationship as strictly platonic, the men usually have romantic feelings for their lady friends.

Not only are the guys more attracted to their female buds, they also mistakenly believe that the feelings were mutual, and they are more willing to act on their perceived mutual attraction.

I just conclude that women generally think guys and gals can just be friends, while men secretly hope the relationship can become something more.

9 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by litetias(m): 11:24am On Jun 29, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

The girl herself is hanging with the wrong crew because I can bet that this same girl being ignored by a guy is probably taking a better guy for granted..... It's a vicious circle I tell you.
Word
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by codemaster2much: 11:26am On Jun 29, 2014
What if I want to see her
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 29, 2014
Caracta:

cheesy
do you need proof Of my STRAIGHTIVITY grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Juell(m): 11:31am On Jun 29, 2014
Friendship between a man and woman is quite complicated. In most cases one of the party involved might want something deeper than "just being friends".

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by arck1: 11:31am On Jun 29, 2014
Cross gender friendship is the best thing that is happening to me right now.....

God bless my friendkiss

#teamcrossgenderfriendshiptongue

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by lordbjizzi(m): 11:34am On Jun 29, 2014
DickDastardly: Mynd are you by any means encouraging guys not to help sisters in need? That the assistance must always be rewarded in kind? What is the world turning into? What of the part of the bible that says "give alms to the needy".
If i so wish i can sponsor a poor girl to the University and wont even think of her pants, as God's reward is the best!
Please this thread will only incite good guys to be wicked and withdraw their aid to poor girls they have hitherto helped. Thanks
Unless I didn't get you clearly, helping a sister in need is veeeery different from being friends with a sister. A guy can give help and assistance to a needy sister with whom he isn't a friend without wanting anything in return. True. But every thriving friendship, same gender and cross-gender, goes beyond just giving. It involves emotions- likeness, affection and sometimes, love. Unfortunately, not everyone can handle these emotions in a cross-gender friendship without wanting something more. And that is where the problem starts.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

Absolutely. One of my closest friends in the world is a man. We're like siblings. I listen to him, give him relationship advice, I'm the first to call him on his birthday, and whenever I'm in Nigeria I bring him gifts (which he tries to refuse). He listens to me, gives me advice, and worries about me, drives me places (if he's available--I'm not a brat.) We know each other's deepest secrets and fears. Never given money, but if the other needed it, we'd empty our bank accounts for each other.

We do all these things, not as some kind of scorekeeping whatever, but because we WANT to, because we care about each other. The way you would feel about an only sibling.

I wonder too, seems like friendship has also been sexualized, the core meaning of friennship has been based on sexual benefits especially if its cross gender, which is totaly wrong. My best friend though is a slovak lady, we didnt even share the same cultural background, but we were able to build a strong friendship and share deepest secrets too.

its all about your mindset that defines kind of friends you will get.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 29, 2014
justi4jesu: I, for one, think that when it comes to married couples, cross-gender friendships are not wise.

Everyone has an opinion and an anecdote to share.

I found that while women are generally not attracted to their male friends and saw the relationship as strictly platonic, the men usually have romantic feelings for their lady friends.

Not only are the guys more attracted to their female buds, they also mistakenly believe that the feelings were mutual, and they are more willing to act on their perceived mutual attraction.

I just conclude that women generally think guys and gals can just be friends, while men secretly hope the relationship can become something more.
. It happens the other way tooo... Otherwise, u re right... In most cross gender relationships, one of the partner is attracted to the other and wishes it could be something more...... D hope of it metarmorphosing into a real relationship is what keeps the attracted person going...

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by softandsweet(f): 11:35am On Jun 29, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Oooooohhhh!!! I understand your point now.!!!...

That girls believe a guy won't/can't help you out without asking for something in return.

A guy can be friends with a girl without strings attached. Its true that the guys could be easily taken for granted. Its really wrong to use people. If a guy helps out in little things that makes a girl's life easier, he should be genuinely appreciated and cared for. Feelings could arise but just like every other person should be handled with respect and sensitivity especially if the guy has been good as a friend. This doesn't go without saying its actually not to good to demand sexual favours for any assistance. It makes it wierd and morally wrong. Well except they agree to the "friends with benefits" kind of thing
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by justi4jesu(f): 11:41am On Jun 29, 2014
njokusboy: . It happens the other way tooo... Otherwise, u re right... In most cross gender relationships, one of the partner is attracted to the other and wishes it could be something more...... D hope of it metarmorphosing into a real relationship is what keeps the attracted person going...

Yes you are right but it happens mostly with the Men.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 29, 2014
Richiy: You forgot to mention the fact that most guys would not consciously appreciate that girl that goes the extra mile for them. Rather, they would go around chasing girls that have no regard for them and end up screaming that girls are heartless. Let every guy check their lives, there is always that boy/girl that is different but they become so used to him/her that they put him/her in the background.

Touché!
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 29, 2014
Nah,i dont agree wit this post. I've had d same male bestie for more than 6yrs now. And i'll do anytin for him,he'll do same too. I also have friends who feel same way. For me i just think it depends on d pple involved,i'll rather stick wit my male bestie than most females out there

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by brownlord: 11:52am On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove: Op, I don't know what you're talking about. One of my closest friends is a guy who I've known for 15yrs now( since secondary school). He lectures in Canada now, but not once has there ever been any awkwardness between us. There is almost nothing we can't tell each other, and never once have we ever had the issues you mentioned. He's a friend and a brother, and our friendship waxes stronger.

Sit your friend down and ask him, 15 years ago what was his true intention towards you, just friends? I doubt, he may still have that intention but because of your many years friendship not knowing how to go about it and at same time don't want a to loose your friendship, don't speak for him speak for yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by tintingz(m): 11:54am On Jun 29, 2014
shymexx:

Er, can you help a brother out with this one?

I don't even see all the chics I grew with as friends. They're just acquaintances that I chat to about generic stuffs, and perhaps growing up. And the only one who tried to be "friend" ended up forcing herself to become "girlfriend" and now she's an ex-girlfriend.

Personally, I don't even think chics are loyal enough for the "friendship" role, except you're emotionally involved with them.

To have a successful cross gender friendship start from childhood except you guys are already having crush on each other or having intimate fantasies, that won't work out.

knowing each other right from childhood is like being close as brother and sister but sometimes it ends up with relationship like you said but I've mention the thing that can lead to it.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by nanizle(m): 12:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

Ha! dis one na love.

At least one of you must be in love with the other.

5 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by jaybee3(m): 12:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
It works but for it to work, both gender has to define boundaries from the onset.

It helps if both are a lil on the mature side as well

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Emma8043(m): 12:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
*SLOWLY WALKING OUT OF THE THREAD*
she can ask without giving abi? Mchteeeew

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by jaybee3(m): 12:07pm On Jun 29, 2014
@uj_sizzle
How would you handle a situation where one of these numerous "defined role play" friends of yours start developing the feeling of only ever being needed whenever you want?

I can see out it can turn into a case where only party puts in all the effort.

Friendship should go beyond boundaries but for it to work there has to be commonality in goals and wants.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 29, 2014
tintingz: To have a successful cross gender friendship start from childhood except you guys are already having crush on each other or having intimate fantasies, that won't work out.

knowing each other right from childhood is like being close as brother and sister but sometimes it ends up with relationship like you said but I've mention the thing that can lead to it.

I hear that.

However, most times, people do grow apart. Coupled with the fact that women are emotional beings, and once they fall-in-love with a next person, the loyalty will diminish like the OP asserted. But with most thorough bred guys, regardless of relationships or marriages, they'll always maintain the loyalty, due to the brotherhood bond.

Also, with me, I'd say I've lipsed at least 90% of the chics I talk to...and the rest are on the waiting list. It's basically just difficult being platonic friends with chics, without being emotionally involved with them, except the chic isn't attractive. And once you start getting romantically involved with chics, best believe they'll want to take it to the next stage. If you decline, they'll start the emotional blackmail and the use-and-dump argument.

Anyway, I get your point though. And I'll try it out...however it has to be the most unattractive chic ever. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by jaybee3(m): 12:11pm On Jun 29, 2014
Caracta: It's working for me. I must be lucky.

To each his own. I take people as individuals, I don't judge them based on what a theory says about a particular gender.
Excellent point
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by brownlord: 12:11pm On Jun 29, 2014
@op I'm with you on this, what the use of having her as just friend and helping her when in need, and when she meets that guy, she stop whatever you guys are having worst still is when the guy is not comfortable with you around her, unlike a guy who can still go his way out to help a lady even though he's got a gf.

Idontdofriensshipwithlady. I'm okay with ma male friends

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by justi4jesu(f): 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2014
Cross-Gender friendships become increasingly difficult when one or both of the friends have romantic partners.

In other words, if you’re single, you can have all the guy friends you want, just don’t underestimate your male friends potential physical and romantic attraction to you.

If the status of your relationship comes up in conversation, even in a subtle way, take the opportunity to be as up-front and transparent as possible about your feelings and how you view the relationship. It might make for an awkward conversation here smiley

But it will be less awkward than the moment when your bro-friend goes in for a kiss after a night of supposedly totally platonic bonding.

And while Cross-Gender friendships can provide benefits, those benefits really only apply to singles IMHO really.... smiley

Your guy friend can provide insights into how the male mind works, which may help you navigate your romantic life more successfully.

Cross-Gender friendships could evolve into a fulfilling romantic relationship.

Many solid marriages begin from a solid friendship.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2014
You might not have been closer enough especially physically i.e maybe both of you have been relating more virtually since childhood , also, Family ties which made him/you sees you/him as his Sister/brother.

Also, it depends on the Personality of both of you ......... ..... But where cross gender friendship actually fulfils what friendship is all about , psycologically , one of them will actually wanna take it to another level .

I usually define limits for my female friends because Majority of them usually endeavor to take it to another level and I think the fault is always mine cuz I usually give them what they can't even get from their boo with no string attached ....

The next thing they wanna do is to legitimise my humbleness ..... grin .... Or nurture ill feelings for you when you humbly reject such offer !!
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Innodon(m): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
Naked Truth
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by tintingz(m): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
shymexx:

I hear that.

However, most times, people do grow apart. Coupled with the fact that women are emotional beings, and once they fall-in-love with a next person, the loyalty will diminish like the OP asserted. But with most thorough bred guys, regardless of relationships or marriages, they'll always maintain the loyalty, due to the brotherhood bond.

Also, with me, I'd say I've lipsed at least 90% of the chics I talk to...and the rest are on the waiting list. It's basically just difficult being platonic friends with chics, without being emotionally involved with them, except the chic isn't attractive. And once you start getting romantically involved with chics, best believe they'll want to take it to the next stage. If you decline, they'll start the emotional blackmail and the use-and-dump argument.

Anyway, I get your point though. And I'll try it out...however it has to be the most unattractive chic ever. grin
Lol at your last statement. grin

anyway go try it out. smiley
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2014
my friend always says "when a boy and a girl are togeda, one or both of them is THINKING SOMETHING!! Simple!! lipsrsealed[size=8pt]

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Acidosis(m): 12:34pm On Jun 29, 2014
I don't do cross-gender friendships...

Cross-gender pals? Yea,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Single Mother Of One Rejoices After Being Proposed To By Boyfriend. Photos / Lady To Spend 50% Of Her Salary On Her Boyfriend / Kano: Bleak Xmas For Contributors As Lady Sends Man Abroad With Their Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.