Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678771 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:31am On May 27, 2015
MarieEyre:
Morning VO. My fiance recently filed our K1 petition. He didn't provide phone records but supplied all other relevant details. Would this stall the application process, i.e the USCIS holding back the petition until he provides it. He also dated our photos together but didn't include the location on them. I hope these are not major factors that stall the petition.

If everything else is all right, those details should not delay the processing of the petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On May 27, 2015
Amefrica:
Hi Visa Officer,

Asking this on behalf of a friend - is Nigeria gonna be eligible to participate in the US DV Lottery (2017) this year?

Thanks. smiley

I doubt it. A country is only eligible to participate in the Diversity Visa lottery if it sends less than 50,000 immigrants every five years to the United States. Considering we're processing significantly more immigrant visas this year than we did last year, it's unlikely that Nigeria will dip under that 50,000 threshold in the near future.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On May 27, 2015
justwise:

Have you managed to share the flu with work colleagues? grin grin we know how generous you are.

Good to have you back though.

They shared with me, but I have my eye on the people who haven't come down with this yet.....

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 7:40am On May 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

They shared with me, but I have my eye on the people who haven't come down with this yet.....

grin grin time to take unplanned sick leave

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 8:16am On May 27, 2015
Good morning VO, Hope you get back 100% soon. Please i would like to know these: My wife a USC filed for cr 1 visa for me. We are still waiting for approval while gradually getting ready for NVC stage, but we are a bit confused about AOS. I'm a petroleum Engineer and works for one of the high profile oil companies in Nig.My company promised to transfer me once my visa is ready.But my wife is a CAD designer and earns around 4000usd per month.Ma, Does she quality to be a sole sponsor or we need a co sponsor? Secondly, could you please enlighten me on poverty threshold? Would like to know how to do the calculations myself. Thank you so much for your immense help and patience in answering us.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:52am On May 27, 2015
Gabbyking:
Good morning VO, Hope you get back 100% soon. Please i would like to know these: My wife a USC filed for cr 1 visa for me. We are still waiting for approval while gradually getting ready for NVC stage, but we are a bit confused about AOS. I'm a petroleum Engineer and works for one of the high profile oil companies in Nig.My company promised to transfer me once my visa is ready.But my wife is a CAD designer and earns around 4000usd per month.Ma, Does she quality to be a sole sponsor or we need a co sponsor? Secondly, could you please enlighten me on poverty threshold? Would like to know how to do the calculations myself. Thank you so much for your immense help and patience in answering us.

The 2015 poverty guidelines are available at http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/policy_updates/2015%20Poverty%20Guidelines%20for%20Immigrant%20Visa%20Processing.pdf . Basically, any petitioner who is not active military needs to show an income of 125% of the poverty level for his or her household. If your household consists of you and your wife, your wife will need to show that she makes at least $19,912 annually. So it sounds like your wife will be fine without a joint sponsor. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by LikoGee: 9:01am On May 27, 2015
Dear V.O,
Thanks for ur prompt response.
My case no is-LGS2014781026.
Looking foward to hearing from you.
Have a lovely morning.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 9:22am On May 27, 2015
Thanks dearest VO. You're so wonderful. It does help a lot. I'm so happy we don't need to run around for co sponsor. Hope to write you once our petition is approved. Do have a blissful day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nad95: 9:58am On May 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Sorry, non-immigrant travel is outside my area of expertise. Also, none of us would ever give advice as to "what to do so as not to be refused" -- from our point of view, either you qualify or you don't, and we're not here to give tips as to how to fool us.
how about immigrating to the US as a student.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:03am On May 27, 2015
Nad95:
how about immigrating to the US as a student.

Student visas are not immigrant visas. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by biodun2rule247: 11:04am On May 27, 2015
Mrning most nicest v.o ever liveth,just curious about this question tho,its more than two month now that my petitioner have been contacted and have not hear anytin from d us embassy...so my question is this can a petition be revoke if your field marshal visit the address we wrote awt and didn't see me or my family?help a troubled mind
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nig11: 11:30am On May 27, 2015
Hello,

Thank you for giving us this opportunity. Im a US citizen living in Nigeria and married. My wife (23) is from the Dominican republic living with me here in Nigeria. She has been denied a visa more than a year ago visitor visa. Now i want her to come with me to the US for a visit and want to if she should go for the visitors visa. Also im worried she might get pregnant...then what?

please let me know my options and advice on where to go from here because all we want is to be able to visit friends and family and dont want to get denied.

thank you in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lizziepeks: 12:08pm On May 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'm pretty sure your case is being transferred here to us. Please do send us an e-mail and ask for an update. Thanks!

Thank you Ma, I have done just that I hope your feeling much better! God Bless

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lizziepeks: 12:17pm On May 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'm pretty sure your case is being transferred here to us. Please do send us an e-mail and ask for an update. Thanks!

Ma I just checked the CEAC website and yes Ma it says transfer in progress thank you so much Ma God Bless you, Ma wanted to ask when can I expect it to get to Lagos? And Ma would my case number be the same LND or would it change to LGS thank you ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DoraTosh(f): 1:03pm On May 27, 2015
Mine was filed same January 2015 , Same IR1/CR1 but mine hasnt been approved yet. Seem yours moved a bit more faster.

IR1/CR1, petition filed in January 2015.[/quote]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DoraTosh(f): 1:31pm On May 27, 2015
Hello dearest VO,

I could remember my last post here months ago. I was like a lost sheep in this immigration journey. Well, here i am today, thanks to you pulling through just fine. Here again wearing my coat of patience, though hopeful on how things have been turning out. My case is a 1R1/CR1. My petition was filed in mid January 2015, it was received 27 Jan. My petitioner called USCIS last week and was told it will be approved by June 27. That got me confused a bit, am aware it takes 6 to 8 months for it to be approved.
Here is my question, within this waiting period before my case is approved, when will my petitioner be consulted for further document requirement and what document could that be.
Secondly, i don't know how to calculate case process via the visa bulletin, do you know when CR1/IR1 cases which was filed January 2015 (probably approved June 27) be scheduled for interview.
Thank you so much for your works here and hope to hear from you smiley grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dtush(f): 2:05pm On May 27, 2015
Dear VO, I intend to apply for a visiting visa with my husband. We recently got married and i am not in a hurry to change my name ( my maiden name for his surname) because,
1. The process to change and reapply for a new passport is quite tedious and tiresome.
2. I reside in Lagos and was informed that i have to travel to abuja to change it.
3. I also do not believe in spending money for things are avoidable, because my current passport still has about 3 years before expiration.
4 We have evidence of marriage in form of marriage certificate, pictures from various ceremonies from the wedding.
5. My husband is ok with me using my maiden name for as long as i want..

Can i apply?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by TXK9belle: 2:18pm On May 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

221(g) means that the case is pending because something is missing -- from what you've written, it's likely the affidavit of support from a joint sponsor. There must have been something in your documents that showed that you don't meet the threshold to sponsor your fiance.

Thank you for your quick response.
This is TXK9belle again,
I submitted I-864 from my dad who makes over the 125% poverty guidelines for 3 people ( actually he earns enough to sponsor even 7 people and he has maintained this job for 11 yrs so it is stable). We included tax transcript from 2012- 2014 and earning statements for 2012- 2014 in addition to a photocopy of his naturalization certificate. So where did we go wrong?
The 221(g) also said they will be returning our case to USCIS and be allowed to expire.
Is there a way out of this? I am thinking of seeking the help of my congressman. I know you can't tell me what to do but is this a losing battle?
I am trying to understand this because even if we try the spousal visa, I don't expect much changes in my income and that of the co sponsor so we might come back to this same issue again.
I really appreciate you taking your time to explain this. Thanks alot.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:38pm On May 27, 2015
biodun2rule247:
Mrning most nicest v.o ever liveth,just curious about this question tho,its more than two month now that my petitioner have been contacted and have not hear anytin from d us embassy...so my question is this can a petition be revoke if your field marshal visit the address we wrote awt and didn't see me or my family?help a troubled mind

We would not revoke a petition without informing the beneficiary first.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:41pm On May 27, 2015
nig11:
Hello,

Thank you for giving us this opportunity. Im a US citizen living in Nigeria and married. My wife (23) is from the Dominican republic living with me here in Nigeria. She has been denied a visa more than a year ago visitor visa. Now i want her to come with me to the US for a visit and want to if she should go for the visitors visa. Also im worried she might get pregnant...then what?

please let me know my options and advice on where to go from here because all we want is to be able to visit friends and family and dont want to get denied.

thank you in advance.

I can't give advice about non-immigrant visas -- it's not my area, and I don't want to give incorrect information.

If the two of you plan to reside in the United States, you could file the I-130 immigrant petition on her behalf, but unless you are domiciled in the U.S. (or convince us that you plan to relocate together) we wouldn't be able to issue an immigrant visa.

As you are a U.S. citizen, your child will be a U.S. citizen from birth if you have at least five years of physicial presence (total) in the United States.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:42pm On May 27, 2015
lizziepeks:

Ma I just checked the CEAC website and yes Ma it says transfer in progress thank you so much Ma God Bless you, Ma wanted to ask when can I expect it to get to Lagos? And Ma would my case number be the same LND or would it change to LGS thank you ma

It should arrive in two weeks or so. The case number will remain LND.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:45pm On May 27, 2015
DoraTosh:
Hello dearest VO,

I could remember my last post here months ago. I was like a lost sheep in this immigration journey. Well, here i am today, thanks to you pulling through just fine. Here again wearing my coat of patience, though hopeful on how things have been turning out. My case is a 1R1/CR1. My petition was filed in mid January 2015, it was received 27 Jan. My petitioner called USCIS last week and was told it will be approved by June 27. That got me confused a bit, am aware it takes 6 to 8 months for it to be approved.
Here is my question, within this waiting period before my case is approved, when will my petitioner be consulted for further document requirement and what document could that be.
Secondly, i don't know how to calculate case process via the visa bulletin, do you know when CR1/IR1 cases which was filed January 2015 (probably approved June 27) be scheduled for interview.
Thank you so much for your works here and hope to hear from you smiley grin

These are tough questions because I can't predict what USCIS will do. But I doubt USCIS would give you a firm date as to when the petition will be approved; after all, that depends on you and the petitioner, and whether you've submitted all the necessary documents. Those documents include the marriage certificate, divorce or death certificates from prior relationships, birth certificates, affidavits of support, and relationship evidence.

The visa bulletin doesn't apply to CR1s and IR1s; once the petition is approved and the case is documentarily complete, it'll be scheduled for the next available interview. Keep in mind that NVC has already requested our August schedule, so a case that's completed today may not be scheduled until August or September at the earliest.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:46pm On May 27, 2015
dtush:
Dear VO, I intend to apply for a visiting visa with my husband. We recently got married and i am not in a hurry to change my name ( my maiden name for his surname) because,
1. The process to change and reapply for a new passport is quite tedious and tiresome.
2. I reside in Lagos and was informed that i have to travel to abuja to change it.
3. I also do not believe in spending money for things are avoidable, because my current passport still has about 3 years before expiration.
4 We have evidence of marriage in form of marriage certificate, pictures from various ceremonies from the wedding.
5. My husband is ok with me using my maiden name for as long as i want..

Can i apply?

These are questions for the non-immigrant thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:49pm On May 27, 2015
TXK9belle:

Thank you for your quick response.
This is TXK9belle again,
I submitted I-864 from my dad who makes over the 125% poverty guidelines for 3 people ( actually he earns enough to sponsor even 7 people and he has maintained this job for 11 yrs so it is stable). We included tax transcript from 2012- 2014 and earning statements for 2012- 2014 in addition to a photocopy of his naturalization certificate. So where did we go wrong?
The 221(g) also said they will be returning our case to USCIS and be allowed to expire.
Is there a way out of this? I am thinking of seeking the help of my congressman. I know you can't tell me what to do but is this a losing battle?
I am trying to understand this because even if we try the spousal visa, I don't expect much changes in my income and that of the co sponsor so we might come back to this same issue again.
I really appreciate you taking your time to explain this. Thanks alot.

Ah, then the affidavit of support had nothing to do with it. The interviewing officer was not convinced that your relationship is bona fide and that you intend to marry within 90 days of using the visa. By law, we can only issue if we are convinced that there's a bona fide relationship; if not, we must return the cases to USCIS. Because fiance petitions have such a short validity period, in most cases no further action is taken by USCIS -- but you are free to file a new petition on your fiance's behalf.

Such cases are refused under 221(g) because technically they're pending a decision from USCIS; technically, we make a recommendation that the underlying petition be revoked, rather than "refusing" or "denying" the petitions ourselves. A 221(g) refusal means that the case is pending some further action -- such as, in this case, USCIS review. But, again, with fiance petitions, usually USCIS takes no further action.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by LikoGee: 3:19pm On May 27, 2015
Dear V.O,
Thank you and GODs blessings.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chimsyluv(f): 4:06pm On May 27, 2015
Good day vo,pls a Lagos land line just called me but couldn't pick cos I was not with my fone,could it b from the embassy, 01-4603400.I have an interview tomorrow that's why am bothered.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jogs: 5:03pm On May 27, 2015
VO,
Afternoon, we have our CR 1 case completed at NVC yesterday 04/26/2015, do you think we might get a july interview date ?, i believe you said june is all filled Up.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Luthufi: 6:04pm On May 27, 2015
Denied entry i235(b) to US & CBP told to withdraw my application voluntarily and mentioned under section 212 (a) (7) (a) (i) (I)

First time in December I travelled to my school under m1 visa but had to return home immediately before school start date as I could'nt access my ATM/Debit Card.I informed the situation to my school and left. Next I fixed everything and informed the school by submitting the finance document again. They accepted and told to pay 50% before entering US but I told I will come to school first and pay. They did'nt respond to this, but I got a admission acceptance conditional letter from them for April classes. So I figured out I could pay when I enter the U.S. I told my cousin to have my funds in his account and transfer or do pay orders to my school when needed in order to avoid a similar situation I faced. So I re entered US on April but was denied entry by CBP due to SEVIS terminated.CBP phoned the school but the school told to pay 50% first and then come but I told my admission to US is only decided by CBP so I will enter and pay. The school told they can't accept it. I showed my 100% financial document funds proof to CBP at that time but the CBP denied entry as my SEVIS is terminated and stamped 'Cancelled Application Withdrawn' in my passport and told I can apply for visa any time. So can I re apply for a new M1 visa for a different school in U.S. or will there be any problems applying in U.S. Embassy. This time I want to apply for PPL course first and do my CPL/ IR / SE & ME step by step since as I can't be there longer leaving home. Will the U.S. Embassy issue me M1 visa only for PPL
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I doubt it. A country is only eligible to participate in the Diversity Visa lottery if it sends less than 50,000 immigrants every five years to the United States. Considering we're processing significantly more immigrant visas this year than we did last year, it's unlikely that Nigeria will dip under that 50,000 threshold in the near future.
I don't believe Nigeria will ever make it on that lottery again. With the rate we marry USCs and family petitions...no hope!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.