Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,878 members, 7,810,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677334 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jojonile: 8:30am On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

It's probably in the very large stack of DNA kits that is sitting on my dek. I'll go through them this morning, so if yours is among them, someone should contact you today or tomorrow to set up an appointment date.
Thank you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bucciepie: 9:52am On Feb 05, 2015
Dear VO,

My wife and son had their interview today, and the CO gave her a form 221g for domicile.

The VO is of the opinion that I have to move to the USA before my Wife and son can be granted the IR1 and IR2 Visa.

I have enquired on this trend about this before and the 221g form that she was giving also stated that I don't have to be physically present in the united state to prove domicile. It is enough to show intent to relocate at the same time as my family.

We have an admission for our older Sons ( both American Citizens as well). I have a lease agreement, I have a bank account and I have been transferring money ( up to $55,000), I have registered to vote and even voted in the last election, I am a registered resident of Connecticut ( I have my state ID). I have evidence that I have been applying for jobs. My brother is my joint sponsor.

I really would like to move with my family on the same day. We don't want to be separated.

Our case numbers are ( LGS2014717010 and LGS2014717008). I have already send a mail requested for another interview tomorrow.

Your kindly help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:37am On Feb 05, 2015
bucciepie:
Dear VO,

My wife and son had their interview today, and the CO gave her a form 221g for domicile.

The VO is of the opinion that I have to move to the USA before my Wife and son can be granted the IR1 and IR2 Visa.

I have enquired on this trend about this before and the 221g form that she was giving also stated that I don't have to be physically present in the united state to prove domicile. It is enough to show intent to relocate at the same time as my family.

We have an admission for our older Sons ( both American Citizens as well). I have a lease agreement, I have a bank account and I have been transferring money ( up to $55,000), I have registered to vote and even voted in the last election, I am a registered resident of Connecticut ( I have my state ID). I have evidence that I have been applying for jobs. My brother is my joint sponsor.

I really would like to move with my family on the same day. We don't want to be separated.

Our case numbers are ( LGS2014717010 and LGS2014717008). I have already send a mail requested for another interview tomorrow.

Your kindly help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Greetings!

The purpose of an immigrant visa is to reunite families in the United States. If the petitioner is not domiciled in the United States, there's no reason for an immigrant visa to be issued.

If the officer is not convinced that the petitioner at least intends to relocate to the United States with the family. the visa will not be issued.

It sounds like you do want to convince the officer that you intend to relocate with your family. You're following the process correctly by asking for a follow-up appointment, although it won't be possible to schedule an appointment tomorrow. Someone will contact you soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bucciepie: 10:54am On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Thanks Madam.

I certainly intend to relocate with my family and I have taken steps to do so.

I want to move back because of my children's educations. All the schools that I prefer here are boarding schools and I don't want my family to be separated in anyway or my kids going to a boarding school, which was why I did some research and found Pine Point School CT. We have had several interview with the school view Skype and I have been to the USA to see the school and to pick up my children's admission.

I am ready to start living in the US but would prefer to do it with my family. I have 3 boys and it will be difficult to leave them alone with my wife and If I chose to go with the older 2 that are citizens already. I will be separating their 2 years old brother from them ( which I would prefer not to do, they are really close).

Your kind help will certainly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Greetings!

The purpose of an immigrant visa is to reunite families in the United States. If the petitioner is not domiciled in the United States, there's no reason for an immigrant visa to be issued.

If the officer is not convinced that the petitioner at least intends to relocate to the United States with the family. the visa will not be issued.

It sounds like you do want to convince the officer that you intend to relocate with your family. You're following the process correctly by asking for a follow-up appointment, although it won't be possible to schedule an appointment tomorrow. Someone will contact you soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:17am On Feb 05, 2015
bucciepie:
Thanks Madam.

I certainly intend to relocate with my family and I have taken steps to do so.

I want to move back because of my children's educations. All the schools that I prefer here are boarding schools and I don't want my family to be separated in anyway or my kids going to a boarding school, which was why I did some research and found Pine Point School CT. We have had several interview with the school view Skype and I have been to the USA to see the school and to pick up my children's admission.

I am ready to start living in the US but would prefer to do it with my family. I have 3 boys and it will be difficult to leave them alone with my wife and If I chose to go with the older 2 that are citizens already. I will be separating their 2 years old brother from them ( which I would prefer not to do, they are really close).

Your kind help will certainly be appreciated.

Thank you.

When did you last reside in the U.S.? Not just visit, but reside there? If it's been a very long time, we will probably ask that you establish domicile there before we would issue the visas. If you haven't been domiciled in the U.S. for decades, our concern that you don't really intend to return there with your family would be even greater.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 1:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Jchi9876: 2:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

When did you last reside in the U.S.? Not just visit, but reside there? If it's been a very long time, we will probably ask that you establish domicile there before we would issue the visas. If you haven't been domiciled in the U.S. for decades, our concern that you don't really intend to return there with your family would be even greater.

These visa rules plenty ooooo no wonder VO's are so knowledgeable one question and ur knocked off grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bucciepie: 2:06pm On Feb 05, 2015
I understand your concern but since the intention of this VISA category is to keep family united.

Will confirmation of resignation from my Job in Nigeria and a letter from my Landlord that she is aware that I will give up my rent once our visas have been approved be enough proof that I mean to relocate with my family on the same day?

The last time I lived in the USA was 1985 with my parents but I have 2 siblings who also currently reside in the USA ( One of them is my co-sponsor). I certainly won't be asking for this if I have not made up my mind to go back to the USA.

Thank you.

VisaOfficer:

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
bucciepie:
I understand your concern but since the intention of this VISA category is to keep family united.

Will confirmation of resignation from my Job in Nigeria and a letter from my Landlord that she is aware that I will give up my rent once our visas have been approved be enough proof that I mean to relocate with my family on the same day?

The last time I lived in the USA was 1985 with my parents but I have 2 siblings who also currently reside in the USA ( One of them is my co-sponsor). I certainly won't be asking for this if I have not made up my mind to go back to the USA.

Thank you.

I would certainly not grant a visa to your beneficiaries in this case until you, the petitioner, have yourself established your own domicile in the United States. It's not like you've only been away for six months -- you literally have no domicile in the United States. Indeed, you have a job and a home in Nigeria and are clearly domiciled here. Frankly, I'm not sure why USCIS approved your petition.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

DNA testing isn't compulsory in all cases, and actually we suggest it in a very small percentage of cases. But we see so many cases that that is still a pretty big number! My guess, based solely on what you've written here, is that the officer will notice that you and your son applied together to visit your husband in 2013, and will therefore realize that you two have been claiming to be the child's parents for at least two years, which would likely strike me as a good sign. That's just my personal opinion, without knowing all the details of your case...

Hope this helps. smiley
. Thks ma for the news. I feel a little relive ,I pray I meet an angel like you on our interview day. Remain blessed ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by angel55: 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by angel55: 2:50am
Thanks for the Good work you are doing here didn't know there was a thread like this. I recently had my baby in the US, he is in possession of his blue passport, but I intend bringing him back to nigeria with an ETC then subsequent travels he can enter and depart the US with his passport. My question is this Is it okay to bring him home with an ETC?
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Share (Share)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Jchi9876: 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I would certainly not grant a visa to your beneficiaries in this case until you, the petitioner, have yourself established your own domicile in the United States. It's not like you've only been away for six months -- you literally have no domicile in the United States. Indeed, you have a job and a home in Nigeria and are clearly domiciled here. Frankly, I'm not sure why USCIS approved your petition.

But VO on a hilarious note how do you guys detect these cases?? Do you guys take secret "voodoo" classes grin

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2015
angel55:
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by angel55: 2:50am
Thanks for the Good work you are doing here didn't know there was a thread like this. I recently had my baby in the US, he is in possession of his blue passport, but I intend bringing him back to nigeria with an ETC then subsequent travels he can enter and depart the US with his passport. My question is this Is it okay to bring him home with an ETC?
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Share (Share)

Oh, sorry I didn't answer this one earlier. I was trying to figure out what an ETC is! What is it?

But American citizens should only enter and exit the United States on their United States passports.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
Jchi9876:

... how do you guys detect these cases?? Do you guys take secret "voodoo" classes

No, but we are very experienced, very well-trained, and have access to a heck of a lot of information.

Also, we can read minds.

(Part of this reply is not 100% medically accurate.)

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bucciepie: 2:44pm On Feb 05, 2015
Thank you ma.

It is clear that we have to separate to do this.

How long can an application remain on AP. If I know that I had to do this I would have moved over a while back.

The provision for intent to domicile got me confused. I have already left my job and will leave to the USA as soon as possible.

How long must I be over there before we can ask for another interview? Do I have to go with the older boys for them to resume school?

Thank you.

VisaOfficer:

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
bucciepie:
Thank you ma.

It is clear that we have to separate to do this.

How long can an application remain on AP. If I know that I had to do this I would have moved over a while back.

The provision for intent to domicile got me confused. I have already left my job and will leave to the USA as soon as possible.

How long must I be over there before we can ask for another interview? Do I have to go with the older boys for them to resume school?

Thank you.

If someone contacts us at least once a year, the case will stay open.

There is no minimum time to establish residence, but a credible demonstration of an actual residence in the United States is required. If the officer is convinced that the petitioner has in fact taken up residence in the U.S., the applicant will be able to receive his or her immigrant visa. A convincing combination of several of the following types of action might be considered as an indication of U.S. domicile:

Establishing an address in the United States
Setting up a bank account and transferring funds to the U.S.
Making investments
Seeking employment
Applying for a Social Security number
Voting in local, state or federal elections

Please keep in mind that this is all a bit nebulous, but the bottom line is that the officer has to be convinced that you have established domicile. If you have a Social Security Number but haven't lived there in 30 years, it's not going to be enough to tell us that you have a Social Security Number. We're going to want to see that you actually reside in the U.S. and intend to continue to do so.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Jchi9876: 2:59pm On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No, but we are very experienced, very well-trained, and have access to a heck of a lot of information.

[/b]Also, we can read minds.[b]

(Part of this reply is not 100% medically accurate.)

Lol at the disclaimer
That part is what a lot of Nigerian visa applicants do not understand and it beats my imagination when they try to create a robust and ideal situation.

If not for any other reasons i think setting up this platform has given the consulate a whole new dimension to tackling fraud.
Kudos and good job

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by angel55: 3:18pm On Feb 05, 2015
Oh, sorry I didn't answer this one earlier. I was trying to figure out what an ETC is! What is it?

But American citizens should only enter and exit the United States on their United States passports [color=#006600][/color]. Thanks a lot it's called emergency travel certificate
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bucciepie: 3:26pm On Feb 05, 2015
Thanks a lot.

VisaOfficer:

If someone contacts us at least once a year, the case will stay open.

There is no minimum time to establish residence, but a credible demonstration of an actual residence in the United States is required. If the officer is convinced that the petitioner has in fact taken up residence in the U.S., the applicant will be able to receive his or her immigrant visa. A convincing combination of several of the following types of action might be considered as an indication of U.S. domicile:

Establishing an address in the United States
Setting up a bank account and transferring funds to the U.S.
Making investments
Seeking employment
Applying for a Social Security number
Voting in local, state or federal elections

Please keep in mind that this is all a bit nebulous, but the bottom line is that the officer has to be convinced that you have established domicile. If you have a Social Security Number but haven't lived there in 30 years, it's not going to be enough to tell us that you have a Social Security Number. We're going to want to see that you actually reside in the U.S. and intend to continue to do so.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2015
angel55:
Thanks a lot it's called emergency travel certificate

Thanks! There's no U.S. emergency travel certificate. U.S. citizens are expected to use their passports.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
Hello VO,
Good afternoon ma'am, please I would like to ask you a question. Met this wonderful lady at the hospital yesterday, she is also going for K1 interview. We got chatting and I told her about you and how you have been helpful to us here.
She wants to know what you think about her case Ma'am. She is the beneficiary and she has 2 kids with her fiance (petitioner). She said that they have been together for like 7 years. She wants to know if having kids together with the petitioner is a red flag? She said she has photographs to show and all other evidences.
Their relationship appears to be genuine to me too. She is waiting for your response Ma'am, and I want her to relax smiley
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2015
Euma:
Hello VO,
Good afternoon ma'am, please I would like to ask you a question. Met this wonderful lady at the hospital yesterday, she is also going for K1 interview. We got chatting and I told her about you and how you have been helpful to us here.
She wants to know what you think about her case Ma'am. She is the beneficiary and she has 2 kids with her fiance (petitioner). She said that they have been together for like 7 years. She wants to know if having kids together with the petitioner is a red flag? She said she has photographs to show and all other evidences.
Their relationship appears to be genuine to me too. She is waiting for your response Ma'am, and I want her to relax smiley
Thank you.

Please reassure her that having children with someone is pretty strong evidence of a bona fide relationship!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Please reassure her that having children with someone is pretty strong evidence of a bona fide relationship!

Thanks a lot Ma'am. I will send her this link so she can see your comment. Oh! I believe she will be glad smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 8:17pm On Feb 05, 2015
Good day Ma,

I have question, a petition filed by a USC for his siblings on 07/2014, petition was transferred to CSC.

Currently California Service Center are processing petitions they received March 2011. Considering the waiting times for this visa catergory, this is 4 years behind already before they start processing.

when I check the Visa bulletin NVC are processing F4 cases from 15 April 2002 which is Almost 13 years behind.

Heres my question, the NVC date of 15 April 2002 what date are they referring to , the date USCIS received the I130 or the date USCIS approved the petition??

sorry this sounds confusing , I am very confused, hope you will understand my question undecided am trying to get the idea of how long it will take from the day USCIS receives I130 for siblings to the day NVC will issue Visa numbers
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:20am On Feb 06, 2015
Badgers14:
Good day Ma,

I have question, a petition filed by a USC for his siblings on 07/2014, petition was transferred to CSC.

Currently California Service Center are processing petitions they received March 2011. Considering the waiting times for this visa catergory, this is 4 years behind already before they start processing.

when I check the Visa bulletin NVC are processing F4 cases from 15 April 2002 which is Almost 13 years behind.

Heres my question, the NVC date of 15 April 2002 what date are they referring to , the date USCIS received the I130 or the date USCIS approved the petition??

sorry this sounds confusing , I am very confused, hope you will understand my question undecided am trying to get the idea of how long it will take from the day USCIS receives I130 for siblings to the day NVC will issue Visa numbers

15 April 2002 is the current cut-off date for the F4 visa category. In other words, F4 petitions with a priority date on or before 15 April 2002 are now current -- that is, eligible to be scheduled for an interview. The priority date is the date on which the petition was filed, not the date on which it was approved. In other words, today at the Consulate we will interview and issue visas to some F4 beneficiaries whose petitions were filed on or before 15 April 2002.

So, here's an interesting fact: As long as the petition is approved in time to be scheduled for an interview as soon as the case is current, it's actually in a beneficiary's interest for the case to remain pending a little bit longer! Why? Because USCIS doesn't penalize families by counting the time that a petition was pending against them. In other words, if one of the children turns 21 before a visa becomes available, under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), the time that passed between the date of filing and the date of approval is subtracted from the child's age; and if the CSPA-corrected age is under 21, the child can still be included as a derivative.

So if a case was filed with the California Service Center in April 2002, and one of the children in the case was 11 years old at the time, and now that the case is current the child is 24, it would be a great thing for the family if after being filed, the petition was in limbo for four years before being approved. Those four years can be subtracted from the child's age on the date on which a visa became available -- meaning that for our purposes the child is only 20 years old and can still be included as a derivative in the parent's case.

Does this help?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Feb 06, 2015
A note about wait times.

U.S. immigration law and policy give preference to some categories of beneficiaries over others. Spouses and unmarried children are always given preference over married children and siblings. In fact, Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) can only petition for their spouses and unmarried children; only U.S. citizens can file on behalf of their parents, married children, siblings, and fiance(e)s.

Some categories of visas are numerically unlimited and have no wait time (other than the time it takes for their petitions to be approved and sent to post, that is). These are the Immediate Relative visas with U.S. citizen petitioners: IR1 (spouse), IR2 (minor child), IR5 (parent). This is another of the advantages of being a U.S. citizen.

Even so, the spouses and unmarried children of LPRs take precedence over some categories of U.S. citizen relatives -- married children of U.S. citizens, and siblings of U.S. citizens, have longer wait times than the spouses and unmarried children of LPRs. These different types visa categories, which are all numerically limited, are as follows:

F1: The unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens -- shortest wait time (usually)
F2: The spouses and children of LPRs: F2A: Spouses and Minor Children of LPRs and F2B: Unmarried Adult Children of LPRs
F3: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
F4: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens -- longest wait time

Sometimes there are slight variations. For instance, for a while all F2A cases were current, because there were fewer F2A cases pending than there were F2A visas available. F2Bs had a shorter wait time for a little while and then the cut-off dates retrogressed again. F1s and F2Bs sometimes change places on the above list depending on how many have already been issued in a given year. And, countries such as Mexico and the Philippines have SO MANY petitions pending in some of these categories that their wait times can be much much longer compared to the rest of the world.

The U.S. welcomes around one million immigrants every year -- more than any other country. To be fair, in terms of population, that gives us an immigrant inflow of around 0.4%, while Luxembourg leads the world with an immigrant inflow of around 2.9%. But considering the size of Luxembourg, that's like 16 people. [Little joke there; it's actually 16,000.] And most countries don't have a category for siblings at all.

So, yes, it's frustrating to wait for 13 years for your F4 visa. But I hope this put the wait time into perspective. Hang in there.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by SirAweezy(m): 8:08am On Feb 06, 2015
Morning VO, I don't know if you can be off help to this mind bugging question.

My wife and I had been married for two years
She presently in her 1st trimester (due september this year).

I work in a bank earn 400000 naira per month
And she works with a multi media firm 3000 usd per month. We have been working for 3-4years now.

Now we want to first visit the US come this May 2015. Before deciding if we can have our baby in the US come September.

Morealso, we are looking at choice of invitations. A friend who stays in MD good Job been there for 15years(he lives in my house when ever his in Nigeria) or an Uncle who live in texas own an health centre and also very close to me.

Please advice if you think we stand any chance at all and possible things we should take note of during the interview.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 8:28am On Feb 06, 2015
VisaOfficer:

15 April 2002 is the current cut-off date for the F4 visa category. In other words, F4 petitions with a priority date on or before 15 April 2002 are now current -- that is, eligible to be scheduled for an interview. The priority date is the date on which the petition was filed, not the date on which it was approved. In other words, today at the Consulate we will interview and issue visas to some F4 beneficiaries whose petitions were filed on or before 15 April 2002.

So, here's an interesting fact: As long as the petition is approved in time to be scheduled for an interview as soon as the case is current, it's actually in a beneficiary's interest for the case to remain pending a little bit longer! Why? Because USCIS doesn't penalize families by counting the time that a petition was pending against them. In other words, if one of the children turns 21 before a visa becomes available, under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), the time that passed between the date of filing and the date of approval is subtracted from the child's age; and if the CSPA-corrected age is under 21, the child can still be included as a derivative.

So if a case was filed with the California Service Center in April 2002, and one of the children in the case was 11 years old at the time, and now that the case is current the child is 24, it would be a great thing for the family if after being filed, the petition was in limbo for four years before being approved. Those four years can be subtracted from the child's age on the date on which a visa became available -- meaning that for our purposes the child is only 20 years old and can still be included as a derivative in the parent's case.

Does this help?

Thanks a lot Ma for your wonderful response. It is very helpful, I appreciate. Enjoy the rest of your day and have a good weekend
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:20am On Feb 06, 2015
SirAweezy:
Morning VO, I don't know if you can be off help to this mind bugging question.

My wife and I had been married for two years
She presently in her 1st trimester (due september this year).

I work in a bank earn 400000 naira per month
And she works with a multi media firm 3000 usd per month. We have been working for 3-4years now.

Now we want to first visit the US come this May 2015. Before deciding if we can have our baby in the US come September.

Morealso, we are looking at choice of invitations. A friend who stays in MD good Job been there for 15years(he lives in my house when ever his in Nigeria) or an Uncle who live in texas own an health centre and also very close to me.

Please advice if you think we stand any chance at all and possible things we should take note of during the interview.

Thanks.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 11:21am On Feb 06, 2015
VisaOfficer:
A note about wait times.

U.S. immigration law and policy give preference to some categories of beneficiaries over others. Spouses and unmarried children are always given preference over married children and siblings. In fact, Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) can only petition for their spouses and unmarried children; only U.S. citizens can file on behalf of their parents, married children, siblings, and fiance(e)s.

Some categories of visas are numerically unlimited and have no wait time (other than the time it takes for their petitions to be approved and sent to post, that is). These are the Immediate Relative visas with U.S. citizen petitioners: IR1 (spouse), IR2 (minor child), IR5 (parent). This is another of the advantages of being a U.S. citizen.

Even so, the spouses and unmarried children of LPRs take precedence over some categories of U.S. citizen relatives -- married children of U.S. citizens, and siblings of U.S. citizens, have longer wait times than the spouses and unmarried children of LPRs. These different types visa categories, which are all numerically limited, are as follows:

F1: The unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens -- shortest wait time (usually)
F2: The spouses and children of LPRs: F2A: Spouses and Minor Children of LPRs and F2B: Unmarried Adult Children of LPRs
F3: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
F4: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens -- longest wait time

Sometimes there are slight variations. For instance, for a while all F2A cases were current, because there were fewer F2A cases pending than there were F2A visas available. F2Bs had a shorter wait time for a little while and then the cut-off dates retrogressed again. F1s and F2Bs sometimes change places on the above list depending on how many have already been issued in a given year. And, countries such as Mexico and the Philippines have SO MANY petitions pending in some of these categories that their wait times can be much much longer compared to the rest of the world.

The U.S. welcomes around one million immigrants every year -- more than any other country. To be fair, in terms of population, that gives us an immigrant inflow of around 0.4%, while Luxembourg leads the world with an immigrant inflow of around 2.9%. But considering the size of Luxembourg, that's like 16 people. [Little joke there; it's actually 16,000.] And most countries don't have a category for siblings at all.

So, yes, it's frustrating to wait for 13 years for your F4 visa. But I hope this put the wait time into perspective. Hang in there.

Good morning ma'am, and how are you doing today? I just Wanted to ask, based on what you have written, The new immigration Law, once it has taken effect, Do u think it will affect changes on the wait times for all categories by making it shorter, or is the Law favorable only to the illegal immigrants in the U.S??
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:33am On Feb 06, 2015
pretty16:

Good morning ma'am, and how are you doing today? I just Wanted to ask, based on what you have written, The new immigration Law, once it has taken effect, Do u think it will affect changes on the wait times for all categories by making it shorter, or is the Law favorable only to the illegal immigrants in the U.S??

I honestly don't know how that will play out. If I hear anything, I will let you know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.