Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,756 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24213 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Alfred234(m): 10:45am On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: Same old overflogged, baseless argument.... The truth is as simple as ABC, NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN CRACKING METAPHORS OR LISTENING TO PUNCHLINES.... Its the same way everyone aint interested in poetry... The animosity here is due to the fact that the makers and listeners of this genre of music are not willing to accept that other people do not share same interest.... Nd what is real rap/hip-hop, music is an art and real is relative.... I do not care what mode nine has to say, if I want words of wisdom, I'd pick a book... I can't just waste my time listening to a 10-20 track CD, with similar boring tune, drab choruses and verses with "words of wisdom"... I might just as well pick up a poem book.... Truth is, most of this artistes are not versatile, they don't go commercial because they cannot go commercial, its not because they don't want to... Let's face it, mode9 cannot sing to save his life... Versatile people like eminem, kendrick, nd MI (when he did safe, not now), have made nice tunes with sweet choruses whilst making sense at the same time.... The world is not static, change is a constant, one must adapt... Mode9 and the others may be more lyrical, but phyno, olamide etc are better musicians....
#Word

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by symbian03(m): 10:47am On Jul 08, 2014
acenazt: Even in the US. Who listens to Nas,Mos Def,KRS ONE,Talib Kweli,Rass Kass,2Pac,Immortal Technique any more?? Every body's busy listening to Useless music by the likes of 2Chainz,Future,Migos,Asop Ferg,Rich Homie quan. Its the generation. Times change and so does taste and interests.

Remove 2PAC from that list before I punch you. 2PAC - best rapper who ever came to this world. In fact, anything besides 2pac and biggie na wack

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:47am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
found out that the lines my mama makes while sleeping is way better than WizzyZ lyrics...

*No Diss* lets face the fact
"Caro ur body necessary "
aftet the STAR BOY album...
Wizkid is lost

Fhuck Lyrics fam, Nneka sang a song that sounded like she was convulsing and Niggas jumped on that shiit, tagged it 'Comtemporary' and downloaded it.

I doubt Niggas be listening to the lyrics in the club trying to make sense out of it, they just want a nice catchy hook that they can easily remember and if the beats are sick, they would dance their socks off.

In Naija music, its not about lyrics all the time, Mafikizolos 'Khona' went viral in Africa, Many Niggas still dont know what that shiit means and they dont give a fhuck what it means. grin

Good Music is unique to the Listener. Like for me, ALL gospel Music sound like the are on the same beats with different lyrics. grin
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 10:48am On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: Same old overflogged, baseless argument.... The truth is as simple as ABC, NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN CRACKING METAPHORS OR LISTENING TO PUNCHLINES.... Its the same way everyone aint interested in poetry... The animosity here is due to the fact that the makers and listeners of this genre of music are not willing to accept that other people do not share same interest.... Nd what is real rap/hip-hop, music is an art and real is relative.... I do not care what mode nine has to say, if I want words of wisdom, I'd pick a book... I can't just waste my time listening to a 10-20 track CD, with similar boring tune, drab choruses and verses with "words of wisdom"... I might just as well pick up a poem book.... Truth is, most of this artistes are not versatile, they don't go commercial because they cannot go commercial, its not because they don't want to... Let's face it, mode9 cannot sing to save his life... Versatile people like eminem, kendrick, nd MI (when he did safe, not now), have made nice tunes with sweet choruses whilst making sense at the same time.... The world is not static, change is a constant, one must adapt... Mode9 and the others may be more lyrical, but phyno, olamide etc are better musicians....
[b][/b]Bro,Which is more boring:Listening to Rap verses with "words of wisdom" or reading through a poem book? Gonna learn to appreciate real hiphop from the heart.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:49am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: [/b]Bro,Which is more boring:Listening to Rap verses with "words of wisdom" or reading through a poem book? Gonna learn to appreciate real hiphop from the heart.

[b]I would pick a Poem over Rap any day.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by gsalvatore: 10:49am On Jul 08, 2014
Hip-hop? You mean the Bastard son of Jazz/Classicals?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by acenazt: 10:50am On Jul 08, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

You are a liar. People still do. Don't get it twisted. Real recognise real.

Commercial crap is forced down people's throats via the mainstream media but people still recognise.
damn man I didn't say people have stopped. I meant The Mainstream Is more appealing to the Younger Generation. If you Look well Gangsters aren't as common as then. I am 18 and I still Listen to the Likes of Immortal Tecnique,Ice Cube,Big L,Chino XL,Cannibus,Eminem,krs One,Jay Z,AOTP,Mobb Deep,Dre,Nas,Mos Def and all them Old Rappers.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Anacksunamun: 10:53am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob:
The thought of Ice-prince(no beef intended) representing nigeria at the BET(which houses stars like Drake,kendrick lamar,Jcole etc) as the best rap artistes is quite laughable for a big country like nigeria which also houses quality artistes like modenine,khali Abdu,poe,boogey,jesse jagz etc who would give their american counterparts a run for their money(atleast to some extent).This,to me is quite deplorable.
And this my friend is the annoying and utterly disgusting truth of it all. If Ice Prince is the best Rapper that could represent Naija in BET, it boldly shows that HIP-HOP is officially dead, no offence. I'm not hating, but Ice Prince is a wack wrapper. The only song in his current album worth listening to is 'Stars and Light'. From Aboki, Jambo down to Whiskey, all are craps!! I mean WTF!! How can Jesse Jagz classic album not be considered? WTF is wrong with BET? The best rap album is Jesse Jagz album, Ice Prince's FOZ album is a monumental heap of shitt!! I'm still clueless as to what sane rapheads see in Ice Prince. When it comes to lyrical prowess, I'll take Phenom and Vector over that dude. I'm not even talking of M.I. or Mode9, those ones are way above his league. Ice Prince is nothing but a commercial rapper with no wordplays or strong lyrics. Just bleh!!

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:54am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

Fhuck Lyrics fam, Nneka sang a song that sounded like she was convulsing and Niggas jumped on that shiit, tagged it 'Comtemporary' and downloaded it.

I doubt Niggas be listening to the lyrics in the club trying to make sense out of it, they just want a nice catchy hook that they can easily remember and if the beats are sick, they would dance their socks off.

In Naija music, its not about lyrics all the time, Mafikizolos 'Khona' went viral in Africa, Many Niggas still dont know what that shiit means and they dont give a fhuck what it means. grin

Good Music is unique to the Listener. Like for me, ALL gospel Music sound like the are on the same beats with different lyrics. grin
last bullet...

people now listen to the beat instead of the lyrics of the song...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 10:56am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

I would pick a Poem over Rap any day.
Lol.really? Then u shouldnt think of urself as a music lover then.Better stick to the troubles of reading and deciphering poems.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 10:56am On Jul 08, 2014
Still patiently waiting for that rap messiah to bring back the real hip hop rap to nigeria entertainment... All of those we have around this days are just pure dope fiends , wack of the 1st order!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by symbian03(m): 10:57am On Jul 08, 2014
PHfinest: What are you insinuating? Or are you one of these people that dont appreciate the work Phyno, Olamide, Brymo, MI and co are doing?
Rap is the pure way to express yourselph using the language and means best suitable to you, while rhyming with the beat.

I wish you wake up from your slumber, Naija rap artists are leading the game now...

Dreamer
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:57am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
last bullet...

people now listen to the beat instead of the lyrics of the song...

Lyrics without Beats = Poem. grin cool

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:01am On Jul 08, 2014
Anacksunamun: And this my friend is the annoying and utterly disgusting truth of it all. If Ice Prince is the best Rapper that could represent Naija in BET, it boldly shows that HIP-HOP is officially dead, no offence. I'm not hating, but Ice Prince is a wack wrapper. The only song in his current album worth listening to is 'Stars and Light'. From Aboki, Jambo down to Whiskey, all are craps!! I mean WTF!! How can Jesse Jagz classic album not be considered? WTF is wrong with BET? The best rap album is Jesse Jagz album, Ice Prince's FOZ album is a monumental heap of shitt!! I'm still cluelessas to what sane rapheads see in Ice Prince. When it comes to lyrical prowess, I'll take Phenom and Vector of that dude. I'm not even talking of M.I. or Mode9, those ones are way above his league. Ice Prince is nothing but a commercial rapper with no wordplays or strong lyrics. Just bleh!!
one million likes for u bro...
just when i taught i was alone...
listening to phenom ft Mi 6foot..
noticed that phenom killed it with awesome punchlines...
tho Mi abaga was suberp also..
check out shot on shots by iceprince
was just shouting...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:02am On Jul 08, 2014
The nigerians I use to know all love rap music we just want a good rap!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 11:04am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Lol.really? Then u shouldnt think of urself as a music lover then.Better stick to the troubles of reading and deciphering poems.

grin

Poems are way more vast than Rap music in intellectual content and scope of what they cover. #No Contest.

The diciphering aspect makes for an even more interesting intellectual exercise.

Rap on the other hand is limited in scope of topics covered. I am yet to hear any Rap that talks about the sufferings of the Girl Child, But I have heard my mian Nigga tell his Girls Biitches to pull their panties to the side and work his diick like a lollipop... grin

Yup! I have heard rap talk more about Guns and not snitching in the hood and hating on Police and other such stuff ad even talk about going to jail like Jail was the new Marriots Hotel for street Niggas. grin

If you are in tune with the Gangsta side of you more than the actual tre life you living everyday (as a Nigerian), then Hip Hop rap is your Poem.

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:05am On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: Still patiently waiting for that rap messiah to bring back the real hip hop rap to nigeria entertainment... All of those we have around this days are just pure dope fiends , wack of the 1st order!
Our very own Mi Abaga
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 11:06am On Jul 08, 2014
Though I don't do Rap but you're absolutely correct about Nigerians/listeners. But the problem is not Nigerian listeners per se but the radio stations and TV's have totally lost it. Remember it's Nigerians that are also working at he radio stations and TV's!. If the radio stations and TVs don't know good music then Nigerians at large wouldn't get to hear good music. Because you can only listen to what you ear.
I've done an album that's making waves in South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, yet here in Nigeria few people known me because radio stations prefer playing rubbish which you call commercial rap/azonto or whatever you call it.
Check me out on iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/african-school/id891150570
I do modern reggae. Check it out!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nihilist: 11:07am On Jul 08, 2014
gsalvatore: Hip-hop? You mean the Bastard son of Jazz/Classicals?

Smoking Aces 2

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 11:07am On Jul 08, 2014
musicwriter: Though I don't do Rap but you're absolutely correct about Nigerians/listeners. But the problem is not Nigerian listeners per se but the radio stations and TV's have totally lost it. Remember it's Nigerians that are also working at he radio stations and TV's!. If the radio stations and TVs don't know good music then Nigerians at large wouldn't get to hear good music. Because you can only listen to what you ear.
I've done an album that's making waves in South Africa, Ghana, yet here in Nigeria radio stations prefer playing rubbish which you call commercial rap/azonto or whatever you call it.
Check me out on iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/african-school/id891150570

Define what constitute Good Music.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
Our very own Mi Abaga
mi try small with his lyrics , tho some of his lyrics wack some tyms...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by englishmart(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2014
Not when we have phyno. MI don lost
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Testerfuze(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

M.I?!

The last good thing to come out of M.I was his second Mix tape.. That Nigga don fell off as well. angry

. Agreed with you jhor...the guy lost it since his second album M.I 2
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by kevdiggie7: 11:10am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Ever wondered why rap artistes like Modenine,kahli Abdu,poe,loose kaynon,pherowhuz etc are not been taking seriously in the industry(atleast by the majority of music listeners) today? Meanwhile rap/afro-pop acts like Ice-prince,olamide,phyno are seen as the face of rap music in nigeria today? Yea,your guess is as good as mine,real rap is slowly getting extinct in nigeria.But hey! It would be quite unfair to blame the artistes that adapted to change and placed music hustle first,which in-turn puts food on their table.Of course who wouldnt want to drive the latest cars and build the biggest mansion? I would.

Coming out as a rap/hiphop artiste in nigeria today,there are two things involved.Do you want to be a real rap artiste or a commercial rap artiste? If you want to be a real rap artiste,fine! But get ready to be taken seriously only by rap heads and your hommies.If u want to be a commercial rap artiste,the better,considering the fame and the financial gains.Doesnt sound fair right? I know.There are couple of reasons for the inbalance which i would explain to you.In business(in general) the consumer comes first right? Now,same applies to the nigerian music business,the music lovers and listeners also comes first.They(consumer) pratically holds the key to the artistes success...and ofcourse God.

Having said all these,it is important to analyse the music consumer,yea? I would save you the trouble.The average music listeners in nigeria today has grown to be quite lazy(no offense).Nobody wants to spend the whole day deciphering your punchlines,metaphors and similes when there are different problems facing the nigerian man/woman.A banging beat,catchy hook and lacklustre verses talking about how you are 'ballin',boasting about being the street king and most importantly addressing the feminine backside(a*s) while asking her to "shake it" would do the trick of getting you that commercial success,whereas,leaving the real hard workers on the sidelines with their so called "real hiphop" which is quality goods for the consumer.I am quite sadden when i see these real rap artistes spits their lives out in their songs and dont get the props,support and recognition they truly deserve,hence,my reason for writing this article.

The thought of Ice-prince(no beef intended) representing nigeria at the BET(which houses stars like Drake,kendrick lamar,Jcole etc) as the best rap artistes is quite laughable for a big country like nigeria which also houses quality artistes like modenine,khali Abdu,poe,boogey,jesse jagz etc who would give their american counterparts a run for their money(atleast to some extent).This,to me is quite deplorable.

Conclusively, I doff my hat to these real hiphop artistes who never gave in to the commercial stereotype-craze in the industry today.To me,it all boils down to LOVE and PASSION for the art(which is the real essence of listening and making music) and not the money.Thanks to these "real artistes" for keeping rapheads like me glued to nigerian music.
DJ ICE-MOB
#Now playing:Desire by jesse j
#jagznationalist

@DJ ICE-MOB
Really you have your facts and you are quite right but I must tell you something, everyone has got their rap style, the likes of them Ice Prince tell our Nigerian stories and to an extent they speak the minds of the Nigerian youths, whom as you said have become lazy. lol really, Nigerians have gotten so stressed to the point that we just want to have some sort of break so we all just wanna dance and smile. The state of the nation is enough to decipher already. Really, if them Modenine wanna sell, they should tell stories of how shit goes down in our Nigerian streets and not give us some american history which we arent familiar with. truth be said, we want to hear our story. They do american rap, we have our african rap. If fela hadnt developed afro beat he would have ended up a regular artist doing the regular jazz but when he infused our african struggles into it, the world listened. lets be honest, Nas himself would prefer to hear something he hasnt heard before.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by DahtDopeBoi(m): 11:10am On Jul 08, 2014
Y'all keep saying they (naija commercial rappers) are doing what tell do for the money but let's look @ it from this point of view, they ve all gotten commercial success that they went for, so why can't they do some real hip hop tracks or put out a real hip hop mixtape... Maybe they can't do real hip hop IMO...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 11:10am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

Define what constitute Good Music.

Good music is what the OP is complaining about. Good music is the reason he opened this thread.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:11am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

grin

Poems are way more vast than Rap music in intellectual content and scope of what they cover. #No Contest.

The diciphering aspect makes for an even more interesting intellectual exercise.

Rap on the other hand is limited in scope of topics covered. I am yet to hear any Rap that talks about the sufferings of the Girl Child, But I have heard my mian Nigga tell his Girls Biitches to pull their panties to the side and work his diick like a lollipop... grin

Yup! I have heard rap talk more about Guns and not snitching in the hood and hating on Police and other such stuff ad even talk about going to jail like Jail was the new Marriots Hotel for street Niggas. grin

If you are in tune with the Gangsta side of you more than the actual tre life you living everyday (as a Nigerian), then Hip Hop rap is your Poem.

i love poems tho...
buh i prefer em with beat..

thatz why i prefer the Abaga's

jesse n Mi
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:13am On Jul 08, 2014
musicwriter: Though I don't do Rap but you're absolutely correct about Nigerians/listeners. But the problem is not Nigerian listeners per se but the radio stations and TV's have totally lost it. Remember it's Nigerians that are also working at he radio stations and TV's!. If the radio stations and TVs don't know good music then Nigerians at large wouldn't get to hear good music. Because you can only listen to what you ear.
I've done an album that's making waves in South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, yet here in Nigeria radio stations prefer playing rubbish which you call commercial rap/azonto or whatever you call it.
I just decide not agree with you tho I understand the angle you ar coming from but when we talk of good rap music as nothing to do with all those you mention... I remember when nigerians dance to many rap tunes without even understand the lyrics, if we are lucky to have one good rapper that can represent what real rap stand for one day? I believ then we'll realize that making real hiphop is not only about what we listen to this days ...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 11:16am On Jul 08, 2014
DahtDopeBoi: Y'all keep saying they (naija commercial rappers) are doing what tell do for the money but let's look @ it from this point of view, they ve all gotten commercial success that they went for, so why can't they do some real hip hop tracks or put out a real hip hop mixtape... Maybe they can't do real hip hop IMO...
they just can't do it , daz all! Some tyms if I watch many S/A stuff i'll just smh for nigeria hip hop artist!

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 11:16am On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: mi try small with his lyrics , tho some of his lyrics wack some tyms...
no one is perfect bro...

uhmmmm
listen to
Crowd mentality
imperfect me
Safe
One Naira
damnn...that's where mi Abaga stole my heart..

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 11:17am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

grin

Rap is limited in scope of topic covered? Now i know u been sleepin on real rap and artistes like:Lupe fiasco,Jcole,Talib kwali,immortal tech,our very own modenine(with "cry)and so on.Bro stick to ur 2chainz,rich gangs,Asap rockys and all em gangsta wannabes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.