Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,876 members, 7,821,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With (26194 Views)

3 Scientifically Proven Ways To Control Konji / The Worst Type Of People To Be In Relationship With. / Why Are Men Always Afraid To Fall In Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by Nobody: 5:15am On Jul 13, 2014
texanomaly:

Perhaps wisdom has saved you a few times. Is that a bad thing?

Yess! grin grin
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by InesQor(m): 7:12am On Jul 13, 2014
texanomaly:
oops...until I saw this I didn't realize my mistake. I meant non-fiction. I popped that in at the last minute before people started posting. I should have reread it before hitting "send". I'm surprised no one commented on it before now. embarassed
Hehe it's okay, Tex. Re-reading it as "only non-fiction" makes even more sense now. kiss kiss

LarrySun:
You're speaking from a scientist's point of view, I get it. But speaking from the Biblical, God created the birds. There, the chicken came first. I've always thought Science is a justification of God's existence...but your latest theory disputes that fact.
Even speaking from theology, what is there to say God didn't create eggs first, and they hatched? Everything the first chickens/birds needed were right there inside the egg. The egg, so to speak, was actually the first "parent" of the bird.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 7:24am On Jul 13, 2014
thelastmediator: There is enormous power in being a reader. You surely know when to strike and when to play the victim, so much weapon in your arsenal to turn any situation around but there is a very high tendency of being manipulative because you can predict the next possible set of events almost accurately.
True! And can be disastrous for your daily inter personal interactions with people as you are always in a constant state of "analysing and criticizing" people's actions. You tend to judge their current actions to predict their next moves based on previous experience you have read about. This can turn out very bad for you if the result doesn't follow your assumptions.

I have made informed decisions based on the wealth of experience i gathered from reading and i have made silly errors sometimes due to it. Just learn to balance it and don't really take everything you read to heart nor should you take them as the gospel truth.

2 Likes

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 8:06am On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun: Which came first: The chicken or the egg?

This is one of life's greatest mysteries.

If readers are the best people to fall in love with, what about writers? I know many people would argue about writers being readers. But, not all readers are writers. Yet, most writers are influenced by what they've read somewhere.

Now, who wrote the first scroll? The writer or the reader? (Reference to my first question above)
God is the first writer. Humans(his messengers were the first readers) so there's no ambiguity about which came first.

The word "reader" used in this article i assume describes people who read and take fanciful interests in anything from a pop corn receipt to a War memoir. Such exposure gives them a broader view and understanding of many things.

However, some writers are just aligned and narrowed to some genre and they project their thoughts on such topics alone. A writer is a reader but not all writers are "vast" readers. Most just read things pertaining to their areas of interest and then write on them. I doubt you would expect an average Mills and Boom writer to pen a book like "audacity of hope" or "There was a country" and i would be largely suprised if Obama or Achebe can pull off an Harlequin styled romance novel.

3 Likes

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 13, 2014
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by thelastmediator: 8:56am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: True! And can be disastrous for your daily inter personal interactions with people as you are always in a constant state of "analysing and criticizing" people's actions. You tend to judge their current actions to predict their next moves based on previous experience you have read about. This can turn out very bad for you if the result doesn't follow your assumptions.

I have made informed decisions based on the wealth of experience i gathered from reading and i have made silly errors sometimes due to it. Just learn to balance it and don't really take everything you read to heart nor should you take them as the gospel truth.

I'm glad, you understand how it works, perfectly! Good one bro
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 9:45am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: God is the first writer. Humans(his messengers were the first readers) so there's no ambiguity about which came first.

The word "reader" used in this article i assume describes people who read and take fanciful interests in anything from a pop corn receipt to a War memoir. Such exposure gives them a broader view and understanding of many things.

However, some writers are just aligned and narrowed to some genre and they project their thoughts on such topics alone. A writer is a reader but not all writers are "vast" readers. Most just read things pertaining to their areas of interest and then write on them. I doubt you would expect an average Mills and Boom writer to pen a book like "audacity of hope" or "There was a country" and i would be largely suprised if Obama or Achebe can pull off an Harlequin styled romance novel.
Oh! Thanks brother. That's quite insightful. God bless your wisdom. When a piece of paper is blown into this law-court of believability, it may take a yoke of oxen to drag it out again. I'm not arguing the truth that God is the first writer, but shouldn't there be a first reader as well?

As I already said, writers are not only influenced by what they read but also by their experience. The claim that Achebe might not have been able to pull off a Barbara Cartland style is somewhat a complacent half-truth. Many writers, particularly of fiction, read beyond their scope of interest and they can come up with anything if they put their minds to it. Achebe's A Man of the People was a digression of his style. May his creative soul rest in peace.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 10:17am On Jul 13, 2014
InesQor:
Even speaking from theology, what is there to say God didn't create eggs first, and they hatched? Everything the first chickens/birds needed were right there inside the egg. The egg, so to speak, was actually the first "parent" of the bird.

And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind; and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Genesis 1:21-22 KJRB.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 10:25am On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:
Oh! Thanks brother. That's quite insightful. God bless your wisdom. When a piece of paper is blown into this law-court of believability, it may take a yoke of oxen to drag it out again. I'm not arguing the truth that God is the first writer, but shouldn't there be a first reader as well?

As I already said, writers are not only influenced by what they read but also by their experience. The claim that Achebe might not have been able to pull off a Barbara Cartland style is somewhat a complacent half-truth. Many writers, particularly of fiction, read beyond their scope of interest and they can come up with anything if they put their minds to it. Achebe's A Man of the People was a digression of his style. May his creative soul rest in peace.
You want a name for the first reader? Adam would be a perfect choice i wanna pick because life is a story itself. God the writer and the first man the reader to experience the story.

As for your later parts of the argument. I agree but you would also agree to this fact that it takes someone with a deep understanding a topic to write on such.

Show me that one writer who's equally and deeply knowledgeable in three of more distinct fields i.e science-fic, romance, mystery books And can write a best seller in all?

It's easier for me to read a wide spectrum of books from different fields . Take whatever lesson i fancy and move on than for a writer to write something intriguing in all fields. There's bound to be a specialization and this narrows their scope of what your "average" writer would read.

So as regards to the topic.

I can say all readers(at least who pass a certain criteria) can be a good lovers . However it would be mutually exclusive to say the same for just all writers.

2 Likes

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 10:34am On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:

And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind; and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Looking at things scientifically would show the chicks came first. There must be mating i.e s.exual or asexual reproduction in all living organisms before the production of an offspring.

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 10:42am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: Looking at things scientifically would show the chicks came first. There must be mating i.e sexual or asexual in all living organisms before the production of an offspring.

traware: No mystery there Sir.It has been scientifically proven that the egg comes first

Here is the problem.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 10:50am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: You want a name for the first reader? Adam would be a perfect choice i wanna pick because life is a story itself. God the writer and the first man the reader to experience the story.

As for your later parts of the argument. I agree but you would also agree to this fact that it takes someone with a deep understanding a topic to write on such.

Show me that one writer who's equally and deeply knowledgeable in three of more distinct fields i.e science-fic, romance, mystery books And can write a best seller in all?

It's easier for me to read a wide spectrum of books from different fields . Take whatever lesson i fancy and move on than for a writer to write something intriguing in all fields. There's bound to be a specialization and this narrows their scope of what your "average" writer would read.

So as regards to the topic.

I can say all readers(at least who pass a certain criteria) can be a good lovers . However it would be mutually exclusive to say the same for just all writers.

You've perfectly answered my questions, I admire your wits. But just for light arguments' sake, isn't it not uncommon to find a touch of romance in every mystery novel? And some popular romance stories have been spiced with scientific facts. Some people say falling in love is a chemical reaction. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 10:59am On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:

Here is the problem.
We don't want to derail the thread. Maybe his own side of science would tell us how humans also came from a podlike womb or we just evolved from the sperm. So why didn't the chicks continue to come from "self developing" eggs dropped from heaven or from evolution. Why haven't we found eggs after then that have self evolved?

Also,I thought according to this same science evolution took millions of years to achieve in most species. How come the chicks mastered the art of producing the same identical eggs with all the same characteristics they broke out from just in a matter of months? Isn't it crazy and ironic that you know how to produce what predates and created you in a matter of months?

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 11:03am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: We don't want to derail the thread. Maybe his own side of science would tell us how humans also came from a podlike womb or we just evolved from the sperm. So why didn't the chicks continue to come from "self developing" eggs dropped from heaven or from evolution. Why haven't we found eggs after then that have self evolved?

Also,I thought according to this same science evolution took millions of years to achieve in most species. How come the chicks mastered the art of producing the same identical eggs with all the same characteristics they broke out from just in a matter of months? Isn't it crazy and ironic that you know how to produce what predates and created you in a matter of months?
Wow! That's deep. Nice knowing you, onegig.

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 11:08am On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:
Nice knowing you, onegig.
Nice knowing you too. I see you write lovely books and can see your defense of your constituency here.

Don't fret, you would make a nice lover judging by the excerpts of your books i have browsed through.

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 11:17am On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:

You've perfectly answered my questions, I admire your wits. But just for light arguments' sake, isn't it not uncommon to find a touch of romance in every mystery novel? And some popular romance stories have been spiced with scientific facts. Some people say falling in love is a chemical reaction. grin
Yeah true. It however interest you that some writers outsource such aspects of their novels to others and adapting such to the storyline. At least i have read an interview where the writer did confess she wasn't good with all those mushy stuff and her sister was the one that does help her rewrite those aspects.

Also understand that publishing is a big biz and if you want to sell your book and appeal to a wider audience you need to include those romantic aspects else na only old women go read your book. So most go learn it or use professional editors and so on. That they write it doesn't mean they are capable of "recreating the magic" they write about. To them it's all about the mega bucks it fetchs. To hell with love and romance! Lol.

As for chemical reaction- which type? Oxidation, reduction or addition?
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 11:18am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: Nice knowing you too. I see you write lovely books and can see your defense of your constituency here.

Don't fret, you would make a nice lover judging by the excerpts of your books i have browsed through.
Lol! Thank you.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 13, 2014
texanomaly: Date a reader…Thank me later!

Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With

http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/date-reader-readers-best-people-fall-love-scientifically-proven/662017/

Here are some excerpts:

“According to both 2006 and 2009 studies published by Raymond Mar, a psychologist at York University in Canada, and Keith Oatley, a professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Toronto, those who read fiction are capable of the most empathy and “theory of mind,” which is the ability to hold opinions, beliefs and interests apart from their own.
They can entertain other ideas, without rejecting them and still retain their own. While this is supposed to be an innate trait in all humans, it requires varying levels of social experiences to bring into fruition and probably the reason your last partner was such a narcissist.”

“Another 2010 study by Mar reinforces this idea with results that prove the more stories children have read to them, the keener their “theory of mind.” So while everyone thinks their kids are the best, the ones who read have the edge as they truly are the wiser, more adaptable and understanding children.”

“Readers, like voicemail leavers and card writers, are now a dying breed, their numbers decreasing with every GIF list and online tabloid.
The worst part about this looming extinction is that readers are proven to be nicer and smarter than the average human , and maybe the only people worth falling in love with on this shallow hell on earth.”

“They’ve learned what it’s like to be a woman, and a man. They know what it’s like to watch someone suffer. They are wise beyond their years.”

“Because reading is something that molds you and adds to your character. Each triumph, lesson and pivotal moment of the protagonist becomes your own.
Every ache, pain and harsh truth becomes yours to bear. You’ve traveled with authors and experienced the pain, sorrow and anguish they suffered while writing through it. You’ve lived a thousand lives and come back to learn from each of them.”

Here are the highlights for those who are not “Readers” –
The article says, this is how you will know them:

They Won’t Talk To You… They’ll Speak To You
“Do yourself a favor and date someone who really knows how to use their tongue.”
They Don’t Just Get You… They Understand You
They have the capacity for empathy. They may not always agree with you, but they will try to see things from your point of view.
They Don’t Just Get You… They Understand You
FINDING SOMEONE who reads is like dating a thousand souls. It’s gaining the experience they’ve gained from everything they’ve ever read and the wisdom that comes with those experiences. It’s like dating a professor, a romantic and an explorer.

If you date someone who reads, then you, too, will live a thousand different lives.

Hopefully you take the time to read the link. It's not too long. What do you think?

i totally agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 11:46am On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: Yeah true. It however interest you that some writers outsource such aspects of their novels to others and adapting such to the storyline. At least i have read an interview where the writer did confess she wasn't good with all those mushy stuff and her sister was the one that does help her rewrite those aspects.

Also understand that publishing is a big biz and if you want to sell your book and appeal to a wider audience you need to include those romantic aspects else na only old women go read your book. So most go learn it or use professional editors and so on. That they write it doesn't mean they are capable of "recreating the magic" they write about. To them it's all about the mega bucks it fetchs. To hell with love and romance! Lol.

As for chemical reaction- which type? Oxidation, reduction or addition?

I think the honey in the topic is laid on a trifle thick. So, not all writers are good lovers after all. Neither would we say all readers are lovers. Sometimes, even weirdness is attributed to men who are considered romance aficionados. If we have fewer unromantic vultures from what we read, I doubt if there is any decrease in the owls and peacocks. The irony of the Scientists' claim might be the get-well card that cut them on the skin. The effect may create an appalled silence or an uproarious mirth.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by Dayjhihannon01(m): 12:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
missberrypop5: i totally agree with you.
Wooooww. How did τђε̣ writer knew so much about me *Dry winks*

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by traware(m): 12:45pm On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: LOOKING AT THINGS SCIENTIFICALLY WOULD SHOW THE CHICKS CAME FIRST. There must be mating i.e s.exual or asexual reproduction in all living organisms before the production of an offspring.
BULLSH.IT!!!Where do chicks hatch from?An .... Sir,stop confusing yourself
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 1:35pm On Jul 13, 2014
traware: BULLSH.IT!!!Where do chicks hatch from?An .... Sir,stop confusing yourself
Can you give/argue based on facts and logic?

I can as well come here and claim the moon is green. Provide us with your well detailed arguments to support your position not just words.

Check this link. Maybe you would be enlightened.
http://metro.co.uk/2010/07/13/the-chicken-came-first-not-the-egg-scientists-prove-447738/

1 Like

Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: Can you give argue based on facts and logic?

I can as well come here and claim the moon is green. Provide us your well detailed arguments to support your position not just words.

http://metro.co.uk/2010/07/13/the-chicken-came-first-not-the-egg-scientists-prove-447738/
@bolded, you're too much. Lol! Why did the chicken cross the road? That got me cracking.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 1:53pm On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:
@bolded, you're too much. Lol! Why did the chicken cross the road? That got me cracking.
I guess Hon patrick answered that question some time back. Or is it okotie?

I just got a better understanding of your question on if love is a chemical reaction. Looking at it more critically. I would say yes. If people took drugs to suppress or boost their hormones and can take drugs to supperss depression or some that aggravate it then i would say love is a feeling just like depression, euphoria etc..and largely a chemical reaction in the body. Maybe one day they would be able to get a drug combination to spike it and feed an overdose to our dear leaders.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by InesQor(m): 1:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:

wink And who says the winged fowl was not inside an egg?
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 2:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: I guess Hon patrick answered that question some time back. Or is it okotie?

I just got a better understanding of your question on if love is a chemical reaction. Looking at it more critically. I would say yes. If people took drugs to suppress or boost their hormones and can take drugs to supperss depression or some that aggravate it then i would say love is a feeling just like depression, euphoria etc..and largely a chemical reaction in the body. Maybe one day they would be able to get a drug combination to spike it and feed an overdose to our dear leaders.
grin Exactly!

Can we call the natural feeling of love that comes freely without the aid of drugs or portents a chemical reaction too. Is there a particular gland in man that secretes this strange but sweet affection? If there could be laughing gas, I guess loving gas may exist in one lab somewhere.

If being a reader makes us better lovers, does that make us better lovers than our forefathers who loved each other without reservation, even as they'd never read anything their whole lives?
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 2:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
InesQor:
wink And who says the winged fowl was not inside an egg?

Winged fowl inside an egg?

Oh! Come on, give unto me a break, sir. grin
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by InesQor(m): 2:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
LarrySun:

Winged fowl inside an egg?

Oh! Come on, give unto me a break, sir. grin
LOL! Wait!! When an egg hatches does the bird not have wings? Na wa oh grin grin grin

Oya make I leave matter.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by traware(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
onegig: Can you give/argue based on facts and logic?

I can as well come here and claim the moon is green. Provide us with your well detailed arguments to support your position not just words.

You posted a mickey mouse link.You check this link and be enlightened:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_or_the_egg
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by onegig(m): 2:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
traware: You posted a mickey mouse link.You check this link and be enlightened:
lol. You funny o.

Who's link is a mickey mouse one?

Is it me or you ? Do you actually know you are quoting wiki as an authoritative source for citation? Go check the meaning of what a Wiki is and come back. Maybe we can have a debate after then.
Re: Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With by LarrySun(m): 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
traware: You posted a mickey mouse link.You check this link and be enlightened:
The link confuses me: it keeps switching answers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

''if You Remove The Condom Without Your Partner's Consent During Sex, It's Rape" / Ever Had A Crush On The Girlfriend/boyfriend Of Your Best Friend? / Dear Fellow Ladies, Men Owe Us NOTHING Financially!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.