Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,214 members, 7,815,242 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver (38218 Views)

First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister / Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US / BREAKING: Different Ebola Trial Drug Arrives Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by bigass(f): 11:50am On Aug 16, 2014
Nigerians are stupidd. Thats my take on this. How would a sane person say it's an APC thing. You guys have forgotten that people survive it and giving them might reduce their chances?
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by EasternLeopard: 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
ElFenomeno1:
Your father wasted his free education for a tin of sardine... that is why your trifling as...shole cun..t face is roaming about a public forum and constituting a nuisance
I hope you get ravaged by Ebola during one of your monkey consummation sessions...
Fu...cking pillock.... Ashiere jatijati!

What is wrong in getting monkeys, infecting them and trying the thing on them to see the effect

As I said

You wasted your free education on noise making, mama put, gangstarism, jumping windows, wooing girls etc during classes.

For your info

This is the time our labs should be busy trying out all natural and artificial things like herbs modern drugs chemicals etc to see which one can kill this virus

Even fruit bat should be captured and studied to see why it is immunied to this virus

As I said

You wasted Awo's free education cool
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Praise5: 12:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
I may not be sure how drugs are tested or validated but I am sure of one thing; if we fold our arms doing nothing at all or waiting for zmapp to arrive then our Ebola patients will surely die like others. This is a serious issue and threat to humanity. May God save the already infected patients and all of us!
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by iamord(m): 12:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
amnestylaw1:

It's not just only about extinction, but also about ethics and morality among other things. It isn't just humane to carry out tests on animals cause we want to better our lot. They are equally shareholders in our planet. Because we are powerful shouldn't justify cruelty. It is cruel to inflict disease and pain on another being, especially without their consents.
I understand where uu come from bro.. Are u also a vegetarian?? So far as imperfections exist this test have to take place.. Its just like war. We don't like it but people must go down. its inevitable.. It will only end when humans reach an age of advancement .. Even extraterrestrial test with humans
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by proffemi: 12:16pm On Aug 16, 2014
People, we need to calm down.

EasternLeopard: What is wrong in getting monkeys, infecting them and trying the thing on them to see the effect

Even fruit bat should be captured and studied to see why it is immunized to this virus

What is wrong with your suggestion is: that is not how research is done. First, you should know that there are few labs anywhere in the world that can safely experiment with pathogens as lethal as Ebola. So, no, Lagos state government cannot do that. Instead, they have to depend on the best scientific evidence available.

Their decision to back away from Nano probably has lot to do with the absence of any SCIENTIFIC evidence that Nano is effective in curing Ebola (I will be happy if you will point me in the direction of any such evidence).

This is one issue on which I agree (sort of) with that strange fellow GenBuhari. You use experimental drugs CAREFULLY. You don't go and swallow a beaker of conc. acid just because it will kill the bacteria in your gut.

Summary: there is no scientific evidence that Nano works, so why should Lagos state government use the Ebola patients (who have a ~40% chance of surviving) as guinea pigs, and further, risk making the virus evolve scarier strains?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by ginaaskia4: 12:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
Nigerian don't believe in their self, before u administer any drug, d drug has to be tested first.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Tibins(m): 12:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
One thing should be made clear here. The Nigerian scientist will not research, develop a drug and recommend without first testing it extensively to confirm that it really works. Apart fro the ZMAAP, there also various brand names that could be used.
I will not be suprised if I learn some day that even theZMAP contained some element of nanosilver. ZMAAP is just what the developer called it. Just like different brands of pain killers.
To me the nanosilver is not a bad idea. Moreso, its an extract of some natural immune product. since it's non-toxic, then it will do no harm.
Let's try it to also make our nation proud - I pray it works. Or is it because he's a Nigerian scientist?
Look at this now: follow this link: http://drrimatruthreports.com/ebola-threat-dr-rima-recommends-nano-silver/
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by EasternLeopard: 12:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
chimkaire: someone suggested trying it out on a monkey...maybe, you didn't get to read that sad

That is why I do say most of them wasted Awo's free education

He never read the part where I said it should be tried on monkeys to verify its authencity

He just quickly condemn it when he saw that I exposed the political dimension of its rejection.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Panter215: 12:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
Symphony007: Some people mumu no be small!! What concerns APC and PDP in matters of health? Or is that how partisan your brains have gotten? Zmapp has been tested on both monkeys and humans and has proved to work with side effects. Now you want the government to give this new drug that has neither been tested or has no success track record on nigerians? Do you know the side effects, you people are advocating nigerian ebola patients be used as lab rat, and when they are and there is catastrophic after effects even worse than ebola, who will help us? Who? We don't even know the name or company of this fictitious "nigerian scientist in diaspora" that sent the drug. Since we're so desperate as will try anything, why don't we get all our ebola patients into a lab and start injecting them with every chemical compound we can find. Who knows, one might work.
Guy, only 3 people are know to have used the Zmapp drug and 1 is dead now. The other 2 are in state we are not sure of since they are still in hospital, over 1 week after receiving that drug. Yet we all want to use it. Does that not make us guinea pigs. Only difference is that US is selling it. I do not advocate we try the Nano Silver un tested but were we have no choice, then we have to do something. Can FGN commission a test program for this nano silver.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by cyunited(f): 12:25pm On Aug 16, 2014
If it was a white man that developed the drug,it would not have been a pesticide.The Whites deliberately called or it such cos they can't just allow a nigerian have the solution to such a big problem, they should always be the solution provider.how do we continually look up to them and be at their mercy if we become independent by allowing a nigerian have the solution to a world problem? They will surely lose their respect worldwide so they have to fight to keep that respect.
If it was a white man that developed that drug fasholaw would not bait an eyelid b4 administering the drug,let's do away with the mentality of the whites being better than us.Giving the same environment we would do better.
If fashola insist on not using the drug let him provide an available alternative or the fg should enforce usingt or testing of the drug after all fashola is not bigger than Nigeria or the president.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Eusouph(m): 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2014
[quote author=Pataki] Foolish Nigerians. Nano-silver is a
pesticide. FG killing
Nigerians massively
since 2010.
Why on earth will you talk that way? What proof have you to be sure the vaccine is not gonna work or deadly. I'm afraid politicizing every single thing wont cause us more harm in this country.
Even if the so called federal govt is doing it as a propaganda, lets atleast give it a trial on a few. Even WHO had concured to using any available trial drug against the horrible deadly Ebola Virus Disease. How I wish it works. How I wish we dont have to beg for ZMapp from the egocentric Americans. How I wish this so called NANO SILVER brings more glory to Nigeria. How I wish Africa is free of Ebola. How I wish, wish, wish America is plagued with the Ebola Disease if they fail to answer the calls of Nigerians to see how it hurts. I pray God save the whole world of Ebola Virus Disease and the likes.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2014
I have made comments about Nano-silver in other threads....so I will just say this.

So far, nano silver has not yet been proven,either in invitro tests, or animal testing, or phase 1-3 testing to work against the Ebola virus.

It has been proven to

1.Have some activity against the HIV virus in invitro/cell testing.

2.Have some anti-bacterial activity....and silver based compounds have been used as an anti-septic.

I believe the Ministry of Health should go with the proven science...and not recommend Nano-silver. It may do no harm....but it won't be active against the Ebola virus.

I also think that we should focus actively on preventive measures....and in that regard, studying the Ugandan experience may prove beneficial.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Arosa(m): 12:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
There is no harm in trying out this drug. They should try it on one patient at least. undecided
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by proffemi: 12:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
Panter215: Only difference is that US is selling it.

Wrong, very wrong. Zmapp has been tried, with very encouraging levels of success, on primates. That is very far along the animal testing stage. Do you have evidence of any such tests with Nano?

I agree with you: FG should (ideally) first commission a test of Nano. Unfortunatelysada)following proper protocol, such tests would take months (my opinion; I'm not really an expert in this area) (b) there is NO lab in Nigeria that can carry out such tests.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
bigass: Nigerians are stupidd. Thats my take on this. How would a sane person say it's an APC thing. You guys have forgotten that people survive it and giving them might reduce their chances?

Now I know why Nigeria is in such a mess because a lot of them can't think. Nano silver ko, Nano mercury ni.
The FG might as well stick with salt and warm water.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Arosa(m): 12:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
Waiting for America to send you their drugs, when they have already said NO to you is silly. undecided
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Redstone(m): 12:33pm On Aug 16, 2014
If the US FDA says the Nano Silver is a pesticide, I will refute that because I have read a lot about nano silver and I understand it could kill almost any bacteria, Virus and fungi. So my take is this, if this drug or food supplement as they say; could be used in controlled and effective doses and it gives us the expected result, then we have a way out. I think there is no harm in trying this nano silver experimentally too on other mammals rather than bringing politics into this. This is human lives we are talking about and people dying just in a jiffy. I think it is really dangerous to play this sort of politics o.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by JuanDeDios: 12:33pm On Aug 16, 2014
Symphony007: Some people mumu no be small!! What concerns APC and PDP in matters of health? Or is that how partisan your brains have gotten? Zmapp has been tested on both monkeys and humans and has proved to work with side effects. Now you want the government to give this new drug that has neither been tested or has no success track record on nigerians? Do you know the side effects, you people are advocating nigerian ebola patients be used as lab rat, and when they are and there is catastrophic after effects even worse than ebola, who will help us? Who? We don't even know the name or company of this fictitious "nigerian scientist in diaspora" that sent the drug. Since we're so desperate as will try anything, why don't we get all our ebola patients into a lab and start injecting them with every chemical compound we can find. Who knows, one might work.
Honestly there are times I just give up on Nigerians. A commissioner does the only sensible thing and refuses to use Nigerians for experiment and people are screaming APC! And these people vote in elections. Nigeria will remain a hole for a long time.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Tundeiab(m): 12:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
CyberWolf: are you the LASG spokesman this mofo angry angry angry...block head angry angry
you are too small for me to exchange words with.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
EasternLeopard:

That is why I do say most of them wasted Awo's free education

He never read the part where I said it should be tried on monkeys to verify its authencity

He just quickly condemn it when he saw that I exposed the political dimension of its rejection.
He's rebuffed it though. But, if the inventor's invented for such, doubt if he will refuse to try it on a monkey
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by EasternLeopard: 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2014
proffemi: People, we need to calm down.

What is wrong with your suggestion is: that is not how research is done. First, you should know that there are few labs anywhere in the world that can safely experiment with pathogens as lethal as Ebola. So, no, Lagos state government cannot do that. Instead, they have to depend on the best scientific evidence available.

Their decision to back away from Nano probably has lot to do with the absence of any SCIENTIFIC evidence that Nano is effective in curing Ebola (I will be happy if you will point me in the direction of any such evidence).

This is one issue on which I agree (sort of) with that strange fellow GenBuhari. You use experimental drugs CAREFULLY. You don't go and swallow a beaker of conc. acid just because it will kill the bacteria in your gut.

Summary: there is no scientific evidence that Nano works, so why should Lagos state government use the Ebola patients (who have a ~40% chance of surviving) as guinea pigs, and further, risk making the virus evolve scarier strains?

If Lagos state has demanded that it should be tested in the lab, I would have supported them.

But outright rejection without scientific verification is madness at its peak

Now concerning the type of lab to be used

Lagos state can check round the country for such labs if it exist

If such labs do not exist it can approach other nations in asia europe etc. If they approve, Nigerian scientists will be send there to work with that nation's scientists to verify the authencity

Pls note

Lagos govt will partner with FG and all other states to carry out this.

Finally

On a lighter note

Did you study any science related course in the university/polytechnic

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by duni04(m): 12:37pm On Aug 16, 2014
cyunited: If it was a white man that developed the drug,it would not have been a pesticide.The Whites deliberately called or it such cos they can't just allow a nigerian have the solution to such a big problem, they should always be the solution provider.how do we continually look up to them and be at their mercy if we become independent by allowing a nigerian have the solution to a world problem? They will surely lose their respect worldwide so they have to fight to keep that respect.
If it was a white man that developed that drug fasholaw would not bait an eyelid b4 administering the drug,let's do away with the mentality of the whites being better than us.Giving the same environment we would do better.
If fashola insist on not using the drug let him provide an available alternative or the fg should enforce usingt or testing of the drug after all fashola is not bigger than Nigeria or the president.
Sister please buy mb and do research online. Stop with all this paranoia, nobody is hunting you or chasing you. A fraudster from somewhere with no previous antecedents or research is trying to dupe Nigeria of millions of dollars in the name of nanosilver. Has anybody sat down to consider the fact that maybe the manufacturers of zmapp in the US are trying to forestall any future litigation that may arise from harmful side effects of zmapp? If the drug company in the US releases the drugs to Africans and Africans start dropping dead, we'll be the first to start screaming that they're using us as guinea pigs.
Most of these things require simple common sense and online research. I understand that people lack common sense but what about researching online first before posting comments online
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by proffemi: 12:37pm On Aug 16, 2014
Redstone: If the US FDA says the Nano Silver is a pesticide, I will refute that because I have read a lot about nano silver and I understand it could kill almost any bacteria, Virus and fungi. So my take is this, if this drug or food supplement as they say; could be used in controlled and effective doses and it gives us the expected result, then we have a way out. I think there is no harm in trying this nano silver experimentally too on other mammals rather than bringing politics into this. This is human lives we are talking about and people dying just in a jiffy. I think it is really dangerous to play this sort of politics o.

I understand your pain at the lives being lost. I have to remind you however that there are far worse scenarios: for example, a strain of Ebola that is airborne. One reason why scientists have to follow certain protocols in searching for cures to pathogens is the risk that we could inadvertently aid the organism to mutate in nasty ways.

So, yeah, there is some harm in randomly trying nano (until we can, with some level of confidence, verify that the risks are minimal - to the infected, and to society at large)

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by JuanDeDios: 12:39pm On Aug 16, 2014
proffemi:

Wrong, very wrong. Zmapp has been tried, with very encouraging levels of success, on primates. That is very far along the animal testing stage. Do you have evidence of any such tests with Nano?

I agree with you: FG should (ideally) first commission a test of Nano. Unfortunatelysada)following proper protocol, such tests would take months (my opinion; I'm not really an expert in this area) (b) there is NO lab in Nigeria that can carry out such tests.

Thank you. Tests ought to be on by now but no, FG wants to give the stuff to Nigerians. I'm sure they don't have the facilities for such tests but they can contract it out.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by henryobinna(m): 12:40pm On Aug 16, 2014
duni04:
Oga i'm sorry to say but its you that is ignorant. The body in Nigeria responsible for testing experimental drugs is NAFDAC. If NAFDAC doesn't want to test a drug for whatever reason, the Lagos state government has the right not to allow the use of an untested drug within its domain. When the WHO said it was ethical to use experimental drugs for the treatment of ebola, they were referring to drugs that have at least passed trials in animals but hadn't been tested on humans. Nobody knows the effect of nanosilver on animals or even humans because it has never been tried! Nobody even knows who the makers are or their location. Its a big scam!
ok, if at all NAFDAC refused testing the drug then Lagos state gov't is right. if you read some of my post, you'll know I suggested trial on animals.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by Nigerianmovie(m): 12:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
Pataki: Foolish Nigerians.

Nano-silver is a pesticide. FG killing Nigerians massively since 2010.

what if its a pesticide that can cure Ebola? How do you know?

its wrong to overrule it out rightly without a test.

on what ground was it rejected?
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by jmaine: 12:47pm On Aug 16, 2014
proffemi:

I understand your pain at the lives being lost. I have to remind you however that there are far worse scenarios: for example, a strain of Ebola that is airborne. One reason why scientists have to follow certain protocols in searching for cures to pathogens is the risk that we could inadvertently aid the organism to mutate in nasty ways.

So, yeah, there is some harm in randomly trying nano (until we can, with some level of confidence, verify that the risks are minimal - to the infected, and to society at large)

Jmaine Endorses this post . . . . .
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by phreakabit(m): 12:47pm On Aug 16, 2014
proffemi: People, we need to calm down.

Very true, but that is what make this situation even more laughable. I however believe tgere are capavle labs even in africa where pathogens can be experimented with. None in Nigeria however.
Some ethical questions comes to mind upon careful introspection.
1, Should we just fold out arms n watch them die or should we try something?
2, Since we say bitter kola is a hoax, Nano Silver looks like our only option at the moment. . . What next?
3, Shouldnt we allow Ebola patients consent to treatment with Nano Silver?
4, If nano silver does cure Ebola should the cured be put into observation again for some weeks just to monitor their health and behavior before allowing them back into public? I think they should.
If most of Ur answers to theae queation are yes the I don't see whe y dey shhouldnt be treated with nano silver.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by EasternLeopard: 12:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
bushdoc9919: I have made comments about Nano-silver in other threads....so I will just say this.

So far, nano silver has not yet been proven,either in invitro tests, or animal testing, or phase 1-3 testing to work against the Ebola virus.

It has been proven to

1.Have some activity against the HIV virus in invitro/cell testing.

2.Have some anti-bacterial activity....and silver based compounds have been used as an anti-septic.

I believe the Ministry of Health should go with the proven science...and not recommend Nano-silver. It may do no harm....but it won't be active against the Ebola virus.

I also think that we should focus actively on preventive measures....and in that regard, studying the Ugandan experience may prove beneficial.

Yes we should focus on preventive measures

But while we are applying preventive methods, our labs should be busy.

As for Nano, let's test it on infected monkeys. If it works fine and if it fails at least we tried

We can also try herbs and existing modern drugs on infected monkeys

We can capture fruit bats and study them to see why they are not infected.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by proffemi: 12:49pm On Aug 16, 2014
EasternLeopard: If Lagos state has demanded that it should be tested in the lab, I would have supported them.But outright rejection without scientific verification is madness at its peak. Now concerning the type of lab to be used, Lagos state can check round the country for such labs if it exist. If such labs do not exist it can approach other nations in asia europe etc. If they approve, Nigerian scientists will be send there to work with that nation's scientists to verify the authencity

I get your point, I really do. However, research doesn't work like that. I am confident that there is no lab in Nigeria which can conduct research on Ebola. Also, such labs, where they exist, operate on very strictly-defined mandates such that they wouldn't undertake to test Nano for us. Were we to eventually get around the red tape of identifying a willing lab, the entire process would take, I think, up to a year.

This is longer than even the timeline that GSK is giving for the testing/availability of their vaccine.

What the Lagos government/FG should do is: start a conversation with Zmapp to see whether infusion of funds can move their testing along further, or ramp up production capacity faster*

*all of this assumes that Zmapp does cure Ebola in humans. We hope so, but the jury is still out.

On a lighter note Did you study any science related course in the university/polytechnic
I teach grin a science related course in a federal university grin
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by JuanDeDios: 12:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
Panter215:
Guy, only 3 people are know to have used the Zmapp drug and 1 is dead now. The other 2 are in state we are not sure of since they are still in hospital, over 1 week after receiving that drug. Yet we all want to use it. Does that not make us guinea pigs. Only difference is that US is selling it. I do not advocate we try the Nano Silver un tested but were we have no choice, then we have to do something. Can FGN commission a test program for this nano silver.
US is not SELLING nada - where did you people get that from? Liberia made its request to the company which agreed to give it out FREE after talking to FDA. Liberia made its request AFTER it was used on two Americans who were reported to be doing well. The death of the Spaniard came later but it changes nothing since even a kid can differentiate his case since the drug was given to him when the illness was advanced. I'm not in support of mass use of Zmapp at this stage but it makes more sense than Nano whose manufacturer we don't know just as we don't know whether it has been given to a monkey or not.
Re: Lagos Rejects Ebola Trial Drug, Nano Silver by duni04(m): 12:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
phreakabit:

Very true, but that is what make this situation even more laughable. Some ethical questions comes to mind upon careful introspection.
1, Should we just fold out arms n watch them die or should we try something?
2, Since we say bitter kola is a hoax, Nano Silver looks like our only option at the moment. . . What next?
3, Shouldnt we allow Ebola patients consent to treatment with Nano Silver?
4, If nano silver does cure Ebola should the cured be put into observation again for some weeks just to monitor their health and behavior before allowing them back into public? I think they should.
If most of Ur answers to theae queation are yes the I don't see whe y dey shhouldnt be treated with nano silver.
I have a question for you. I read in the papers last week that one herbalist in ogun state has a cure for ebola. Do we get the consent of the Ebola patients to be treated by this babalawo in ogun state?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Have The Feeling To Urinate After Every One Hour, Please Help A Sister / Swollen Testicles: My Right Egg Is 3 Times The Size Of My Left Egg, Help / Nigeria's Coronavirus Index Patient Discharged After Testing Negative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.