Stats: 3,150,739 members, 7,809,831 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (865866 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by james2020(m): 7:53pm On Oct 18, 2014
pls if after four years i applied for student visa to usa and was denied on first attempt and now i want to apply for business visa will my denial be remembered or will it be wiped out from their system
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2014
james2020:
pls if affter fours i applied for student visa to usa and was denied on first attempt and i want to apply for business will my denial be cited or will it be wiped out
Don't be in a hurry to type and post. Do well to state your case succinctly so we can understand you.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Kpimp: 9:34pm On Oct 18, 2014
Pls will like to know if waec result is enough to apply to troy university for undergraduate without secondary school transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by charzyh2: 9:46pm On Oct 18, 2014
teddyrain:
Bro come down to my office and take your prize cool
bro, you're yet to send me your second number.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kpimp:
Pls will like to know if waec result is enough to apply to troy university for undergraduate without secondary school transcript.
why not go through the school's website..there you'll see their required documents for undergraduate studies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Kpimp: 10:03pm On Oct 18, 2014
Just want to confirm from those that got admission from troy cos I don't have my secondary school transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 18, 2014
sirRiddy:
Ehimax, this is for you. Azeez, sorry for misquoting you.

I think you should focus on the following tips:
1. Nova Maths bible is next to none for maths.
2. You should use gruber and barron for verbal.
3. As widely accepted, Kaplan for the analytical writing.
Barron strategies are ineluctable, the book is immensely useful.
However, if you can avoid a cursory preparation,please do;GRE can humble people o cheesy

What a horrible advice
Gruber and Barrons for verbal huh??
If the person has a knack for high level words and dense sentence structure, they could help but for a newbie or an intermediate level vocab, theyre HORRIBLE choices.

Grubers still has analogies (SERIOUSLY?). The sentence completions are SAT level difficulty.
The new GRE places more emphasis on very difficult sentence structure and inane words.

THE BEST VERBAL WORKOUT BOOK IS THE ORIGINAL GRE GUIDE BY ETS.
Nothing else comes close.

Kaplan for analytical writing yes.
cram the introductions for the argumentative essays given by Kaplan, Worked for me

oh and Barron is crap.
If anyone intends to score over 160 in both sections avoid that book like plague. I really dont see a way an average student can get an ace score using that book.
The math section lacks instruction that covers new areas of GRE math workout like Advanced Coordinate Geometry, Functions and Parabola, Probability is poor at best, no combinatorics which is the most difficult math section in the GRE.

@ehimax
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
stevecrun:
why not go through the school's website..there you'll see their required documents for undergraduate studies.

You shouldn't have reply with this...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 11:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kpimp:

Kpimp:
Just want to confirm from those that got admission from troy cos I don't have my secondary school transcript.

Yes waec result is enough for you to apply to troy university and most schools in usa with your other supporting documents like SOA, test score, sponsorship letter or affidavit of support etc..

If some schools ask for your high school transcripts maybe there is a reason for that.. Although they do include it on their site as list of documents to mail or email to them but most applicants dont send it but send only waec and they make use of the waec as the transcript
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dotman2460: 11:08pm On Oct 18, 2014
Check here:
http://admissions.troy.edu/international/undergraduate-admissions.html

Kpimp:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
Walspring:

You shouldn't have reply with this...
don't get bro!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 11:21pm On Oct 18, 2014
stevecrun:
don't get bro!!

Just a simple question he is asking.. Anyway that's my own thought
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 18, 2014
godG, hope you're out of lafia? Safe journey. Wish you all the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 18, 2014
Walspring:

Just a simple question he is asking.. Anyway that's my own thought
all you need do was to provide him with a link or are you the admission officer? Lol. Just teasing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 11:36pm On Oct 18, 2014
dotman2460:
Check here:
http://admissions.troy.edu/international/undergraduate-admissions.html

Am sorry to say the link above still dont answer his question.. Anyone who got admitted to troy will agree with this because most US schools use waec to give admission.. In some occasions they require for normal high school transcript but its very very rare...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by godG: 11:40pm On Oct 18, 2014
slimmy05:
godG, hope you're out of lafia? Safe journey. Wish you all the best.

Yes bro. Amen. Thanks. Much love and respect for u.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 19, 2014
Walspring:

Am sorry to say the link above still dont answer his question.. Anyone who got admitted to troy will agree with this because most US schools use waec to give admission.. In some occasions they require for normal high school transcript but its very very rare...
Are you the admission officer? What happens to mailing or calling the school to get first hand information?

They provided him a link and you talked it down? I think you need to open troy university thread and act as their representative grin

Dont mind me. Be helpful

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 19, 2014
Random thought

I've never seen an undergraduate here on nairaland gun for ivy league or at least top 20 Schools.

Same goes for graduate students except for the very old members who rarely come here.

Apart from that, not one. So far.

Hmm. undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 19, 2014
ebdib:
Random thought

I've never seen an undergraduate here on nairaland gun for ivy league or at least top 20 Schools.

Same goes for graduate students except for the very old members who rarely come here.

Hmm. undecided

Are you interested in footing the bills?

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:28am On Oct 19, 2014
Please house, my IELTS exam is in december. Please can you guys help me with schools that waive standardized tests so I can secure an Admission first, please help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 19, 2014
slimmy05:
Are you interested in footing the bills?

For exceptionally gifted undergraduate applicants .
Ivy league schools maintain a need blind admission policy regardless of country of origin.

For graduate students, funding is almost guaranteed. Top schools even know that financial aid is a top priority for grad students.

The big question is being qualified to apply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:44am On Oct 19, 2014
ebdib:

For exceptionally gifted undergraduate applicants .
Ivy league schools maintain a need blind admission policy regardless of country of origin.

For graduate students, funding is almost guaranteed. Top schools even know that financial aid is a top priority for grad students.

The big question is being qualified to apply.

I get you correctly. Not all are exceptionally gifted, I don't think its a bad idea applying to schools they can afford. Assistantship are in most cases competitive. A nairalander once applied to Stamford uni, despite his stellar GPA and GRE he still didn't get any assistantship.

He finally got MIT though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:46am On Oct 19, 2014
slimmy05:
I get you correctly. Not all are exceptionally gifted, I don't think its a bad idea applying to schools they can afford. Assistantship are in most cases competitive. A nairalander once applied to Stamford uni, despite his stellar GPA and GRE he still didn't get any assistantship.

He finally got MIT though.

Not saying everyone should apply but at least one per admission cycle.
I mean people here apply to navarro college for Christ's sakes. Lol

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:00am On Oct 19, 2014
ebdib:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:42am On Oct 19, 2014
ebdib:

did you apply to one of them ivy league universities?

All fingers are not equal my guy.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 19, 2014
ETS official guide is the standard guide for the exam, sorry I forgot mention that. It contains standard questions that are similar to the ones that will be encountered on test day.
However, using ets solely for preparation will be impolitic for a GRE neophyte; no strategies,just answer explanations. Barron and Gruber may not have very daunting questions but they have helpful tips that will come in handy on test day.
Conclusively, get the ets book but that does not obviate the need for barron and gruber. Wish you the best, and thanks ebdib for your contribution, sir.
ebdib:

What a horrible advice
Gruber and Barrons for verbal huh??
If the person has a knack for high level words and dense sentence structure, they could help but for a newbie or an intermediate level vocab, theyre HORRIBLE choices.

Grubers still has analogies (SERIOUSLY?). The sentence completions are SAT level difficulty.
The new GRE places more emphasis on very difficult sentence structure and inane words.

THE BEST VERBAL WORKOUT BOOK IS THE ORIGINAL GRE GUIDE BY ETS.
Nothing else comes close.

Kaplan for analytical writing yes.
cram the introductions for the argumentative essays given by Kaplan, Worked for me

oh and Barron is crap.
If anyone intends to score over 160 in both sections avoid that book like plague. I really dont see a way an average student can get an ace score using that book.
The math section lacks instruction that covers new areas of GRE math workout like Advanced Coordinate Geometry, Functions and Parabola, Probability is poor at best, no combinatorics which is the most difficult math section in the GRE.

@ehimax

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by coobboy(m): 6:57am On Oct 19, 2014
Kpimp:
Yes.
Your waec result would be converted to their gpa, so that only is required for admission there, with some other required documents!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by coobboy(m): 7:13am On Oct 19, 2014
Walspring:

#true talk
@slimmy he knows about this, because he applied to the school.
Some school's just have some requirements on their website that really sometimes don't apply to admission criterion, when an e-mail is sent to the admission officer or being called the story might be totally different... They might have: send the SAT and TOEFL scores to their mail box (using nipost or one of the courier services), not via e-mail.... But when an e-mail is sent to the admission officer (asking if scanned copies of document are accepted or otherwise), the story totally changes by saying the documents being scanned can be sent to the school via e-mail.
So you see not all requirements placed on a website is to be used for admission requirements sometimes.
Except the admission officer is contacted who has the final say in documents and concerning your admission.
I'm sure you know all these.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 19, 2014
stevecrun:
did you apply to one of them ivy league universities?

All fingers are not equal my guy.

The best schools have the largest endowment funds meaning they are willing to fund the most exceptional students more.

It's a matter of being academically 'stuffed' enough to compete with the best for few places.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 19, 2014
ebdib:
Random thought

Hmm. undecided

That's because most people would rather keep it under their hats. Igbonerd applied to a few; I also will be applying to one. I'm sure the same goes for a few others.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by coobboy(m): 7:35am On Oct 19, 2014
ebdib:

So?
What if we don't have funds ehn, would you pay for us?
or is it a crime to transfer to a CC when you have insufficient funds?
Applying to a low standard school, dosent mean you wouldn't go to an high standard school someday, some people are not just all about the certificate, its all about what you learn and what you can get from the school (because its somewhat cheaper).
I might be in a CC moving from one major to the other, expanding my knowledge and be good in lots of fields, than a person who went to a university, just with one degree major.
Bros if you didn't apply or haven't procured admission to MIT, STANFORD, HARVARD or any of the ivy league schools, why criticize others, well we all know your really good and you aced the GRE which is good and I personally wanna be like you, but instead of criticizing, rather boost up our morale, advising us (like even we go to a college we can still go to a good university something like that).
Albeit No offence

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 19, 2014
coobboy:

So?
What if we don't have funds ehn, would you pay for us?
or is it a crime to transfer to a CC when you have insufficient funds?
Applying to a low standard school, dosent mean you wouldn't go to an high standard school someday, some people are not just all about the certificate, its all about what you learn and what you can get from the school (because its somewhat cheaper).
I might be in a CC moving from one major to the other, expanding my knowledge and be good in lots of fields, than a person who went to a university, just with one degree major.
Bros if you didn't apply to MIT, STANFORD, HARVARD or any of these ivy league schools, why criticize others, well we all know your really good and you aced the GRE which is good and I personally wanna be like you, but instead of criticizing, rather boost up our morale, advising us (like even we go to a college we can still go to a good university something like that).
Albeit No offence

Mr man
Why are you being so defensive?
Did I try to force ivy league down your throat?

Im just encouraging students who are brilliant, to try ivy league schools regardless of financial status.
I didn't criticize people who didn't attend ivy league schools. I'm criticizing people who choose crappy schools and trust me there are lots of crappy schools willing to collect money for degrees that ain't worth sh*t.

To each his own.

Your tone is belligerent and uncalled for btw.
Good day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73