Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (868741 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 26, 2014
Bro, there is no need to be despondent here as that can change nothing now. Taking the GRE again looks like the most reasonable option. If you ever have to take the exam again, please create time for study and maybe use the magoosh plan. It is about 15k for the premium version but if I knew about it early enough, I sure would have adopted it. Just try and improve your candidacy with good LORs and personal statement and be hopeful.
I would like experienced members of the thread like ebdib, imperiouxx, mystiqueme and others to give their opinions.
bigFrancis, where are thou now? sad We need your input please.
amanze15:
pls walspring do u think i should retake the exam? my prep was hasty and scrappy but i have paid 75 dollars as application fee already cry< pls give a shred of hope pls

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Teamo2(f): 8:59am On Oct 26, 2014
GolfingDiva:
@Teamo

In order not to jeopardize your efforts, you need to get down to business.

Second, you have to read this forum more especially previous posts. We had shared a lot of ideas and strategies.

Please take at least one standardized test, but if you can't, then you would have to figure out some congent reasons to give on the day of your interview and pray that VO agrees with you.

In a nutshell, you have to be motivated. Motivation is the key here. Do not put all your eges in one basket and apply for more schools. Do not let undue pressure hamper your success. MA is a good state and I regard it as scholastic state cheesy

Thank you very much. Planning on writing the TOEFL. Looking forward to fall 2015 even though I've not gotten any response from NEU.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Teamo2(f): 9:08am On Oct 26, 2014
akanni:

check out the deadline for admission in your school as long as it gets to them before it closes, you should be good.
Also, check the admission requirements, it will solve the question you asking.
Lastly, you cannot determine what the VO's state of mind is.
You believed the school you saw satisfied your requirements, hence, you stuck with the school.
You just have to convince the VO if she/he asks you why only 1 school, don't put yourself in knots jare, you are still ok.

On there website, it states December 7th for application deadline but I dn't think that's for international student (even though nothing else was written there). As par the TOEFL, they said international student must write the exam. Will register for the next available date and write it.
Looking forward to Fall 2015 cos I tink dis one done pass.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by cutelekush01: 9:39am On Oct 26, 2014
Then you've made a good decision..rushing things when it comes to schooling abroad is something one can regret for life..fall 2015 is realistic.

Teamo2:

On there website, it states December 7th for application deadline but I dn't think that's for international student (even though nothing else was written there). As par the TOEFL, they said international student must write the exam. Will register for the next available date and write it.
Looking forward to Fall 2015 cos I tink dis one done pass.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by amanze15(m): 9:45am On Oct 26, 2014
Thanks.am happier now
Dot1:

I'm also an alumnus of your alma mater and I know building GPA could be a herculean task. I know that's an euphemism. grin

Some GRE tutors have postulated that- since the exam is a standardized test, writing it any number of times using the same material and/or study techniques will do little to change your result.
Hence, my own advice is; since you can't do anything to change your CGPA, do something to your GRE. There is no harm in rewriting it, that's if you would change your study materials and techniques.

But you might need to mail the score recipients of the first result to apprise them of the happenings.

I hope you are aiming for Fall term and not Spring.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by amanze15(m): 9:47am On Oct 26, 2014
Thanks to U all who have contributed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by nedum360: 10:37am On Oct 26, 2014
[quote author=nedum360 post=27458950][/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Glocal1: 11:24am On Oct 26, 2014
sabiguy:

Magoosh is the best. 80% of what you practice will sure come up! All the best bro
@sabiguy, pls did u use magoosh n what did u score. I'm planning against Dec n I av a busy work schedule.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Glocal1: 11:32am On Oct 26, 2014
innovativeame:
Please, for those that have written GRE, how long will it take for one to view his scores online? It is imperative. Thanks
U'll see ur score on d screen immediately after d test if u don't cancel it but accept ur score on d screen right in front of u. Only ur essays take 2-4 weeks to get posted to ur postbox.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 26, 2014
Glocal1:
@sabiguy, pls did u use magoosh n what did u score. I'm planning against Dec n I av a busy work schedule.

I am yet to write mine, but most of my friends we used to study together (tho they already wrote theirs) confirmed it. Since then I have focused on magoosh. Both of them scored above 160 in both Q and V.

All the best bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by mattkelly: 12:00pm On Oct 26, 2014
sabiguy:

Its okay. Excuse my comment. I just thought its normal to know about passports and immigration as an intending traveler. Anyways, I'm sorry

It's all right bro..We are all here to learn..God Bless you

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by cutelekush01: 12:11pm On Oct 26, 2014
@sabiguy how much does the magoosh premium cost and how to I go about it?thanks.

sabiguy:

I am yet to write mine, but most of my friends we used to study together (tho they already wrote theirs) confirmed it. Since then I have focused on magoosh. Both of them scored above 160 in both Q and V.

All the best bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
cutelekush01:

@sabiguy how much does the magoosh premium cost and how to I go about it?thanks.

It varies; depending on your plan. Go to https://gre.magoosh.com/plans and you would find as low as $79 for 6 months with 60 lesson sessions and over 500 practice tests. Also as high as $299 for 6 months lesson with 200 lesson sessions and over 1000 practice tests. I subscribed for the $99 premium tho and I can tell u I'm already getting overdosed on the practice

Thank me later.

All the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by cutelekush01: 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2014
Good to hear from you bro..im looking towards mid January.i hope 8weeks is ok to digest the magoosh premium

sabiguy:

It varies; depending on your plan. Go to https://gre.magoosh.com/plans and you would find as low as $79 for 6 months with 60 lesson sessions and over 500 practice tests. Also as high as $299 for 6 months lesson with 200 lesson sessions and over 1000 practice tests. I subscribed for the $99 premium tho and I can tell u I'm already getting overdosed on the practice

Thank me later.

All the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bbdd: 1:28pm On Oct 26, 2014
Please guys. This is urgent
Is DHL still offering the discount for transcripts?

And does anybody have tnt contact number? Anybody that has used their services before.
I've scrounged the Web didn't find anything.

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 26, 2014
cutelekush01:

Good to hear from you bro..im looking towards mid January.i hope 8weeks is ok to digest the magoosh premium

8 weeks is good if you practice everyday. Mine is february.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Glocal1: 2:06pm On Oct 26, 2014
Kassidy4luv:
Av really learnt alot from this thread, new words everyday, new hint on acing my GRE .
Wow i neva knew the OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE GRE is really important for d verbal section. Av been jacking my Barons and Grubber like madt.

I must tidy dis GRE wella.
So help me GOD.
Please how much is d copy of d official guide? Tks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by cutelekush01: 2:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
Are you applying for fall 2015?

sabiguy:

8 weeks is good if you practice everyday. Mine is february.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 26, 2014
cutelekush01:

Are you applying for fall 2015?

Yes. I'm in my nysc year at the moment but studying hard for GRE. How about you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bbdd: 3:08pm On Oct 26, 2014
opad:
godG, WES got my package through TNT, status just changed to 'Waiting for verification from institution'. Now im hoping my almighty Unad replies in time.
I didn't send my copy of result through a contact in usa, I sent it through ikeja Nipost for 500naira for 8-10 working days they claim.

Hello please how much did tnt cost and what's the address from which you sent it?
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by cutelekush01: 3:26pm On Oct 26, 2014
Same here..done with NYSC a year and 16 days ago..planning towards fall 2015 as well..Masters in Medical Physics

sabiguy:

Yes. I'm in my nysc year at the moment but studying hard for GRE. How about you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 26, 2014
cutelekush01:
Same here..done with NYSC a year and 16 days ago..planning towards fall 2015 as well..Masters in Medical Physics

Okay. Nice. From which school? and I hope you have something to show for the 1year 16days you have been out of NYSC. Maybe work experience or something.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 4:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
lockupman:

Your profile would present you bare to the VO as a potential immigrant even though that is what we are all going there to do

Mind your choice of words as not everyone is using school as a migration platform. There are quite a number of people who finished and returned home.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 4:36pm On Oct 26, 2014
Dot1:
Good morning all,
A question for all....Please, can I go to the embassy with a bank statement of about 8 months (say March to November), or is there a stern requirement of just 6 months?
This is because I got a part-scholarship and would be self-sponsoring the remaining fund. But the account I want to use is not really a 'busy' one. Hence, printing for 8 months would help make the transactions on it look better and much.
Please, advice accordingly. Thanks

You are good to go. You only need 6months statement.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 4:40pm On Oct 26, 2014
[quote author=nedum360 post=27435906][/quote]

They don't need the signatories for the account thus, giving such is too much info.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 4:49pm On Oct 26, 2014
dicapino:
naira landers ....

I would be taking the GRE on 28th of next month. I believe I have gone through the right books. I got Manhattan and Princeton practice tests. For the Manhattan my verbal and quant scores has being average like 156- 157 range, while princeton was just a bit better. I have never got 160 on any section.

It's making me worried because I have worked assiduously for this exam.
Any advice from past GRE takers or US gurus- i need a modicum of encouragement.

Plan to take the powerprep nxt Month.

Acing the GRE isn't the only requirement for admission. Since you have read this much and your average isn't too bad, I will advice you focus more at this time on the section your program emphasizes more. Some have not too great GRE scores however, the other things they had replaced the GRE defect.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 4:54pm On Oct 26, 2014
sabiguy:

Your question is annoying because if you still don't know how to procure yourself a passport, I wonder what you are doing on this thread! Go on Google and search if you don't know about Nigerian Immigration! Jeezzz!

And you need be rude to pass your message across right? Have you ever wondered that with or without the thread people will get their visa? My thoughts!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 4:56pm On Oct 26, 2014
coobboy:

You gats call them for quicker response, cos if you mail them hmm I don't think they'll ever reply you (ya know), I think its a general error.
That's what I'm going to do, how absurd of them having a general error on everybody's I-20 (I know 4 people with this similar error).

Why then do you think it is an error? The VO understands how the I20 works so I don't think this is something you should fret about.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by GboyegaD(m): 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2014
sabiguy:

Please house... Is the above a good score for GRE? I have a mindset that anything less than 150 is unacceptable? How true is that? Cc walspring siriddy

Not true. My Verbal score is way below 150 and I got 75% PhD admits however, my quantitative was 88 percentile and AW was 92 percentile. I think the way you present whatever your scores are in your SoP could also help and your overall package.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
GboyegaD:

And you need be rude to pass your message across right? Have you ever wondered that with or without the thread people will get their visa? My thoughts!

Dude be expedient. We already sort this out. Read thru the thread and stop pealing some healed wounds
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 5:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
GboyegaD:

Not true. My Verbal score is way below 150 and I got 75% PhD admits however, my quantitative was 88 percentile and AW was 92 percentile. I think the way you present whatever your scores are in your SoP could also help and your overall package.

Its not about school admit alone. Infact, some schools overlook it. Did the VO ask for your GRE score during interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 5:19pm On Oct 26, 2014
GboyegaD:

Please, check your mail sir. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.