Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (867702 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ashigolo(m): 12:09am On Aug 23, 2014
Thanks alot @Bigfrancis21, MsNas, Juntod, Rijo and others, I went back to the Social Security Office today and the man confirmed the error was from him that it should be ready in a maximum of 4 weeks. I'v done all the paper work at the HR and I'v been authorized to start work while awaiting my SSN. I really appreciate you guys.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juntod: 12:09am On Aug 23, 2014
teddyrain: please I need to be cleared on how to transfer since they know you got your visa. If you want to transfer, can you go to the cc direct and then inform the school on your passport you are transferring ? Or going to the college on your passport, then transfer later. Which one is better please guys how best can this be done successfully?

Go straight to the ISSO of the school on your visa. Make sure you are with the I-20 of the CC. Show it to them and tell them you are transferring your SEVIS info to the CC. They have no reason not to oblige. Make sure you go before resumption date of both schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juntod: 12:12am On Aug 23, 2014
osahons9: @bigfrancis21

What does the school do with your gre after they've offered you admission?

My guy My guy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juntod: 12:12am On Aug 23, 2014
Ashigolo: Thanks alot @Bigfrancis21, MsNas, Juntod, Rijo and others, I went back to the Social Security Office today and the man confirmed the error was from him that it should be ready in a maximum of 4 weeks. I'v done all the paper work at the HR and I'v been authorized to start work while awaiting my SSN. I really appreciate you guys.

Welcome bro. You should get it before 4 weeks though.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by teddyrain(m): 12:18am On Aug 23, 2014
juntod:

Go straight to the ISSO of the school on your visa. Make sure you are with the I-20 of the CC. Show it to them and tell them you are transferring your SEVIS info to the CC. They have no reason not to oblige. Make sure you go before resumption date of both schools.
thanks boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:18am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

It's not a problem. You can always renew your passport before or when it expires at the Nigerian embassy here in the US. The Nigerian embassy is located at Washington DC.

Someone I know renewed his soon-to-expire passport last month.

Thank you Francis, what I'm really curious about is if a student visa can be issued on it with a visa expiry date longer than the passport's expiry date?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 12:19am On Aug 23, 2014
Ashigolo: Thanks alot @Bigfrancis21, MsNas, Juntod, Rijo and others, I went back to the Social Security Office today and the man confirmed the error was from him that it should be ready in a maximum of 4 weeks. I'v done all the paper work at the HR and I'v been authorized to start work while awaiting my SSN. I really appreciate you guys.

I am happy you resolved the issue finally. Such a case is unheard off. 46 weeks is 4 to 5 weeks short of 1 year(52/53 weeks), and you were asked to wait that long before. Totally absurd.

Congratulations bro. You should get your SSN in about 2 weeks though. I got mine in 3 days. I was at their office on a wednesday and by saturday my SSN was already in the mailbox.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by osahons9(m): 12:24am On Aug 23, 2014
juntod:

My guy My guy
my oga ...i want to be like you oh...yankee things
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 12:25am On Aug 23, 2014
meekpie:

Thank you Francis, what I'm really curious about is if a student visa can be issued on it with a visa expiry date longer than the passport's expiry date?

Yes, so far as the expiry date of the passport is at least 6 months ahead of the month the visa is going to be issued. That is, there must be at least a 6-month gap between the passport's expiry date and the month your visa is expected to be granted. If, say, your passport expires in december and you are going for your interview in may(7 months apart), that will not hinder your visa process if granted, but if your passport expires in december and you are going for your interview in august(4 months apart), there will likely be a problem.

In that case if your passport is not at least 6 month old from your intended visa interview month, you would need to renew your passport. This will also save you the stress and cost of travelling all the way to Washington DC to renew it here in the US especially if your school is far from DC given that the Nigerian embassy is located only in Washington DC.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ashigolo(m): 12:33am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I am happy you resolved the issue finally. Such a case is unheard off. 46 weeks is 4 to 5 weeks short of 1 year(52/53 weeks), and you were asked to wait that long before. Totally absurd.

Congratulations bro. You should get your SSN in about 2 weeks though. I got mine in 3 days. I was at their office on a wednesday and by saturday my SSN was already in the mailbox.

Thanks bro. And please what actually determines how long it takes to get the SSN?.. coz I'v heard of people who got it in like 4-5 weeks and some who got it in a week and even days just like you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:46am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Yes, so far as the expiry date of the passport is at least 6 months ahead of the month the visa is going to be issued. That is, there must be at least a 6-month gap between the passport's expiry date and the month your visa is expected to be granted. If, say, your passport expires in december and you are going for your interview in may(7 months apart), that will not hinder your visa process if granted, but if your passport expires in december and you are going for your interview in august(4 months apart), there will likely be a problem.

In that case if your passport is not at least 6 month old from your intended visa interview month, you would need to renew your passport. This will also save you the stress and cost of travelling all the way to Washington DC to renew it here in the US especially if your school is far from DC given that the Nigerian embassy is located only in Washington DC.

Thanks lot sir for your kind attention. God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 1:01am On Aug 23, 2014
Amerinancy: True!! Some schools do that. My advisor told me they do it. That's why such schools might even ask you to deposit tuition or enrollment fee to see how much determination you have to study there. But they do it for students if they are on scholarship. If not, you are on your own.

wanna ask if your school have graduate course cos someone said they dont do Msc in your school and i was astonished to hear that..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 1:02am On Aug 23, 2014
Ashigolo:

Thanks bro. And please what actually determines how long it takes to get the SSN?.. coz I'v heard of people who got it in like 4-5 weeks and some who got it in a week and even days just like you.

The processing time for each state differ and it must be the reason for that.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 1:07am On Aug 23, 2014
osahons9: Part 6 when my visa for show!!! grin

Not only you joor... gringringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 1:09am On Aug 23, 2014
Graviton2: Part 6 yet again! Odikwa egwu! grin grin

Data loss was a bastard but we are back again! Praise God!

More than a bastard if i am not wrong...

Infact call data loss Nitwit and enemy of progress.. You can add another name in Igbo dialect gringringrin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:43am On Aug 23, 2014
bbdd:

Thanks bro.
It took a month and half.
But most of the delay was during the postage of mails.
Did verification via email.
Correct. Gun for PhD bro. Try and aim high in your GRE, target fall 2015, more funding are always available.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 2:07am On Aug 23, 2014
Ashigolo:

I can't really say actually. I guess it depends on the backlog of applications they have or on the quickness of the officer who's processing your application.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 2:16am On Aug 23, 2014
meekpie:

Thanks lot sir for your kind attention. God bless

You're welcome.

According to the instructions on the US website, it says

(For all applicants) An international passport valid
for at least six months beyond the intended period of
stay in the United States.
Please note that the
passport must have current and accurate biographic
information and should have no observations. There
should be no titles in the surname or given name
fields of the passport.
http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//non-immigrant_visas.html

Apparently they are not strict on the requirement listed above and they continue to stamp visas on soon-to-expire passports.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Mystiqme: 2:32am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Spot on but for the bolded. We also have consulates in New York and Atlanta where people can renew passports.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 2:36am On Aug 23, 2014
Mystiqme:
Spot on but for the bolded. We also have consulates in New York and Atlanta where people can renew passports.

Yea. We also have 2 consulates at NY and Atlanta.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by winbyforce: 3:17am On Aug 23, 2014
bbdd: Yay wes evaluation complete
3.4 /4

Our testimonies must be complete in this thread. There shall be no case of serial denials Ijn

I'm glad it all worked out fine in the end smiley.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:33am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

You're welcome.

According to the instructions on the US website, it says

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//non-immigrant_visas.html

Apparently they are not strict on the requirement listed above and they continue to stamp visas on soon-to-expire passports.

Actually my US visiting visa will expire in 2016 and the passport itself in 2015, so you may actually be right, but I felt that when it comes to student visas it's a different ball game, is there a way to confirm this sir?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 4:49am On Aug 23, 2014
meekpie:

Actually my US visiting visa will expire in 2016 and the passport itself in 2015, so you may actually be right, but I felt that when it comes to student visas it's a different ball game, is there a way to confirm this sir?

It's still the same thing for student visas. Ricky Rozay's visa expires by ending of next year but his international passport expires this year. His passport was stamped with a visa last year despite the passport's expiry date coming before his visa's expiry date.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by repsin(m): 6:34am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

University of Tennessee Knoxville
University of Illinois, Urbana Champagne
University of Illinois, Chicago.
Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:39am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:
It's still the same thing for student visas. Ricky Rozay's visa expires by ending of next year but his international passport expires this year. His passport was stamped with a visa last year despite the passport's expiry date coming before his visa's expiry date.

OK I guess this settles it then. You've been a great help to me sir

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bbdd: 6:54am On Aug 23, 2014
winbyforce:

I'm glad it all worked out fine in the end smiley.

Thanks Bro
Thanks for your help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bbdd: 6:57am On Aug 23, 2014
slimmy05: Correct. Gun for PhD bro. Try and aim high in your GRE, target fall 2015, more funding are always available.

I won't rewrite
I mailed my admission officers and they said my high gre verbal score and high toefl score (113) aswell as my GPA are more than enough to offset any quantitative blip.

So I'm going ahead with the application
Thanks for the encouragement my brother
It is well with all of us
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Amerinancy(f): 8:07am On Aug 23, 2014
Walspring:

wanna ask if your school have graduate course cos someone said they dont do Msc in your school and i was astonished to hear that..
My school is one of the best liberal arts college in the nation, nationally ranked, private, four year, residential liberal art college. Average class size of 15 students. we have about 1,300+ students. They do not offer graduate studies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dcyprusog: 8:54am On Aug 23, 2014
Amerinancy,stevecrun,bigfrancis21 how did you guys pay your sevis fee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 23, 2014
dcyprusog: Amerinancy,stevecrun,bigfrancis21 how did you guys pay your sevis fee
sent the funds to a friend in California and it reflected within 2days.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2014
dcyprusog: Amerinancy,stevecrun,bigfrancis21 how did you guys pay your sevis fee
you can also ask bigfrancis21 to help you pay..if that's okay with you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by dcyprusog: 9:06am On Aug 23, 2014
thanks stevecrunn

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.