Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,843 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30178 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by mki: 9:24am On Aug 26, 2014
Beautiful.

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by cc150615(f): 9:25am On Aug 26, 2014
Ok, lemme talk my own,I don't condemn anybody that says they wanna relax their hair or use weave ons nd all, tho I'm a proud naturalista cos I love my natural hair cos it saves me a lot that I can't begin to explain. But I think every body can choose to do whatever they like with their hair.
But for those of u comparing conditioner with relaxer well I don't have to tell u the difference, my hair doesn't stand any risk of being burnt or discolored with the conditioner like the relaxers do, yea I'm sure of that nd conditioners only make my hair soft nd easy to manage, I still get to retain that unique kinky look of my African hair, nd lemme tell u it really takes some courage to carry that kinky hair, I always feel so proud when I go for a job test or interview nd I'm the only person carrying my natural hair, what matters is that it's well kept nd neatly styled.
Also to those asking questions like why I wear clothes or why I use toothbrush nd not chewing stick, you're so on ur own cos that doesn't have anything to do with what we're saying at all, y'all just looking for excuses.
finally I must say the only thing that I don't like about this our other set of ppl is when maybe they just took out the last million braid nd have not had time to make another hair, instead of them to rock their hair for those few days, they will still use wig, they can't just carry their hair at all...... haba now!!! when u see ppl who are unable to carry their hair to that extent then I smell the colonial stuff, they so just don't wanna look like the African woman they really are.
in any case,anybody can wear their hair anyhow they like!
but #naturalistas rock
#natural hair babes rock
#kinky hair babes rock all the time!

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 9:26am On Aug 26, 2014
blackweaver: op does your gf leave her hair natural ? mine does and I know the stress she goes through, besides I can't count the number of times she's told me that some lady told her that if she doesn't use some other kind of hair, her man will leave her for someone else. don't get me wrong, i prefer natural hair or at least real hair, but it's easier to complain about how a woman wears her hair since YOU don't have to wear it yourself. truth is it's not as convenient as those weave-ons. besides if men really made it clear that they prefer natural hair - and I don't mean complaining to your girlfriend because of the money you'll have to spend - many of the people complaining her won't even give a woman with natural hair a second glance - if at the club or bar, it's the woman with natural hair that gets the most attention, believe me women will start to go natural. it's not a matter of self esteem, it's a matter of what's in high demand

Don't you think it is time we changed the way society perceives our hair?

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 9:29am On Aug 26, 2014
Smhart1: you call that inferiority complex, i call it less stress. I cant inagine myself going on natural hair again know the hours i cry when getting it done and combed. I would rather relax my hair and style is as desired for weeks or more when not in the mood for braz. Than cry like am about creating an artificial river all in the name of natural look.....
The question is, how many guys ask ladies with the natural hair out ? You would rather call them SU.
Even if i like going about with my natural hair,i do weaves to change my look.

You need to add deep intensive conditioner to your hair regimen and you will not have problem with combing your hair.

Hand de-tangling while you are conditioning is a must, it reduces the tangles, breakage and it leaves your hair softer, easy to comb when it is rinsed off
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by obi123: 9:31am On Aug 26, 2014
i wear my hair natural because it gives me my own "individual look" .

Weaves are pretty but right now they tend to make everyone look the same so that individuality is lost, right now Nigerian girls have a stereotype look, same hair , same make up with that dreadful eyebrows that everyone seems to have , weaves just help you fit into that stereotype look.

My natural hair doesn't age me, i can't spend all this money taking care of my skin and body and then go on to ruin my look with so much hair that makes me look at least 5-10years older than i really am.

Weaves are pretty , but they are just not the look i'm going for.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 9:32am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Trust me, its stressful going natural. I tried the whole natural thing this year, bloody expensive.

I agree with you, step by step info on how to care for natural hair is difficult to come by.

It sounds stressful but when you get used to it you will never settle for anything less

I went completely natural two months ago
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 9:34am On Aug 26, 2014
2CatWoman: To MR OP

I hope this is not another women bashing thread that you created?

@ pDude and others, is it any wonder some women have low self-esteem when you young men cannot discuss issues without using derogetory language? Is this how you relate to women face to face?

Back to topic. I don't have a problem with occasional artificial hair but I don't like the fact that they are everywhere. Having said that the vast majority of women wear them more for convenience ( not having to manage hair daily/weekly), because of other commitments and not because of low self-esteem.

My point exactly kiss

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 9:34am On Aug 26, 2014
free2ryhme:

Did u trying using products for natural hair ?
Yup
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 26, 2014
To all my beautiful sisters,
I understand the deafening nihilistic outcries from our black sisters when this topic is broached and typically we do what we always do, deflect blame. It is also the men’s fault. The sad irony is that we are constantly yelling at those that bleach their skin white but the black men expectation of black women in this regard is equally unworthy especially men that uses relaxer and wont appreciate women with natural hair. What a shame
My write up is not for judgements but to encouragement. My message is primarily those discerning young black women to see the value and worth that he or she possesses. I can’t think of a group of people other than of those of African descent where the overwhelming majority of the female population worldwide goes to such extreme measures to change their hair texture. Truth is that there is a proclivity towards lighter skin tones, which are perceived as more attractive and desirable. And the same bias exists in the black community in terms of hair texture. It’s all about being real. It means displaying positive images of black people. Why not wear and afro wig or something that looks like your natural hair, if you are truthful.

Be authentic. Display real self. Be honest
Treat your natural hair, condition it don't denature it. But If you must wear artificial. Don't europeanise it. Africanise it.

Love you all still. Natural hair or not
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by xp17(m): 9:37am On Aug 26, 2014
adaobi123:

lool but how many girls can pull of that amber rose look ?
my dear, you don't have to look like amber rose, just look simple and I'm okay with it. seriously , ladies appear more pretty with natural hair and whomever told you men get mesmerized by artificial stuffs, has lied to you. we careless about them and most of us don't even know how Peruvian, Brazilian or Indian hair looks like, so why go through the stress to impress a blind man with your looks
personally I can't stand the smell of unwashed hair for more than 24hrs. you want to appear good, but you don't smell good I throw wey spite , tpueeee!

#TeamNaturalHair#
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by repogirl(f): 9:45am On Aug 26, 2014
@JonBee1, he who wears the shoes knows where it hurts the most....... You don't know how thick and kinky our African hair can be.... Why would I put my self through immense pain trying to comb it when it can be softened? If you have a cold, wouldn't you take medication for it even if it still goes without medication?

I can assure you if we African women were all to be going around with our natural hair, you'd be the first to wonder why African womens hair is not as neat as white womens hair!

5 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 26, 2014
adaobi123: Don't you guys ever get tired ? This recycled topic undecided

As in I am tired of it. The way people use hair, ordinary hair, as a yardstick for measuring who has inferiority complex or colonial mentality. There are so many other, far more valid, indicators of how 'black inferiority complex' has eaten deep into everyone of us - our lifestyle, the way we dress, the kinda of food we prefer, the people we look up to and even the way we worship.

So please, guys, stop pointing accusing fingers at sisters who prefer weave-ons and relaxers; we all are guilty.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 9:48am On Aug 26, 2014
iamlola:

This conditioner you use, is it not made from chemical too? You and the person using relaxer are not much different; both are chemicals, just that one is harsher than the other.
God bless you

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Vikky014(f): 9:49am On Aug 26, 2014
Hav u guys ever seen a new born baby wtout a relaxed hair?both male & female?,i nid an answer
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Originalsly: 9:49am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. D
You should have just said"I choose to go un natural" and leave it like that. All the other stuff is straight up BS. Nigerian weather is not good for your natural hair?...which weather is? ....and is it good for fake hair?...that quickly gets heated up and traps heat?....that makes your scalp all sweaty, stinky and itchy?...and how does the Nigerian weather cause your hair to hurt? ...then you thinking you look cute is an opinion you are etitled to...not a fact. Why would you need to walk around with a comb and brush?....to support OP's point of the effects Black women being brainwashed with regards to beauty? ...and being economical to maintain makes me wonder if you have a clue what you are talking about. @Topic....i do agree that too many of our women have inferiority complex when it comes to hair and natural beauty but thenmore are becoming conscious and are appreciating andreturning to natural. See Natural Hair thread in this forum.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by free2ryhme: 9:50am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Yup

If you truly used them u will get the expected result as quoted but ur taste for foreign product may not allow that come to fruition
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Phame: 10:01am On Aug 26, 2014
And d hair de smell sef.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2014
free2ryhme:
If you truly used them u will get the expected result as quoted but ur taste for foreign product may not allow that come to fruition
Sixix:

I agree with you, step by step info on how to care for natural hair is difficult to come by.

It sounds stressful but when you get used to it you will never settle for anything less

I went completely natural two months ago
Hian! Ok...I'll try again when my greys starts coming through. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by 50calibre(m): 10:04am On Aug 26, 2014
mrvocalprowess: most men in dis thread are intimidated by women, real men are not intimidated by such,work on ur ego's chauvinist males of Nairaland, yall smell of inferiority complex,dats y most of u cant marry successful women but wud stick to d village/local girls who aint exposed because u can easily change her views.. big ups to caracta ,i see a future chimamanda adichie

Lool this guy is badly in need of a girlfriend or wife, he's resorted to online flattery.

This fact of the matter is more than 90% of black women suffer from inferiority complex, it's an acquired trait. There's no excuse for affixing fake Caucasian looking hair over your African hair, all these excuses are lame and holds no water.

It's even more lame to use Nigerian weather as as excuse, this is ignorance if the highest level. Evolution has equipped every race with the necessary features to survive in their various climes.

A black woman's confidence goes with her fake weave, take the weave off, you take her confidence off. Fact!!!

5 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 10:04am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
I'll try again when my greys starts coming through. embarassed

grin. Where do you live?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 10:05am On Aug 26, 2014
Sixix:

grin. Where do you live?
Edinburgz grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Vikky014(f): 10:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Y are men complaining abt girls wearing fake hair??u all will get married & give birth to girls,,pls teach dem to wear their hair natural,meanwhile using body cream is also nt natural,even d use of soap.,all dose things are artificial.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 10:07am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo: Edinburgz grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 26, 2014
xp17: my dear, you don't have to look like amber rose, just look simple and I'm okay with it. seriously , ladies appear more pretty with natural hair and whomever told you men get mesmerized by artificial stuffs, has lied to you. we careless about them and most of us don't even know how Peruvian, Brazilian or Indian hair looks like, so why go through the stress to impress a blind man with your looks
personally I can't stand the smell of unwashed hair for more than 24hrs. you want to appear good, but you don't smell good I throw wey spite , tpueeee!

#TeamNaturalHair#

But who washes their hair everyday ?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 10:11am On Aug 26, 2014
adaobi123:

But who washes the hair everyday ?

El naturalists grin grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
El naturalists grin grin

Looool but all the natural people that I know don't wash their hair everyday. Even those YouTube gurus advise not too unless you wanna rock amber rose style for the rest of your life. grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 26, 2014
Anyways I'll be wearing braids. That natural regime is too long grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 26, 2014
50calibre:

Lool this guy is badly in need of a girlfriend or wife, he's resorted to online flattery.

This fact of the matter is more than 90% of black women suffer from inferiority complex, it's an acquired trait. There's no excuse for affixing fake Caucasian looking hair over your African hair, all these excuses are lame and holds no water.

It's even more lame to use Nigerian weather as as excuse, this is ignorance if the highest level. Evolution has equipped every race with the necessary features to survive in their various climes.

A black woman's confidence goes with her fake weave, take the weave off, you take her confidence off. Fact!!!
somebody have been hanging out wit d wrong set of girls

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 26, 2014
To be an educator means to teach and sometimes the best way to teach is to lead by example, so allow me to do just that.
My aged mother’s rocks her natural hair all her life under the same Nigerian weather you accused of wickedness.
My wife have been on 100% natural afro-centric curl even before I knew her (that natural hair sure contributed to the attraction) and she had a blast doing it.
My daughters? and so are my lovely daughters.
My sisters have since dropped the "fakeness" and have since reverted to their blackness.
And talking about me, I worked in corporate Nigeria, yet, I rock a huge afro and I have never been so been so cute.

Yes, we look, feel and are better in our natural state. Unfortunately, many of our sisters do not remember how beautiful we are without so-called glitz, glam and lye. Sisters been hoodwinked by White media to think that we are not enough because of the lack of “reasonable”, natural images in their media. Also unfortunate that there are too many sisters willing to co-sign with the lies fed to our people.

“Don’t remove the kinks from your hair! Remove them from your brain!” – Marcus Garvey

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by omoredia: 10:44am On Aug 26, 2014
get a banner %$^&*

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 10:45am On Aug 26, 2014
adaobi123: Anyways I'll be wearing braids. That natural regime is too long grin

On the average I spend about 2 hrs 30 mins on my hair weekly
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 26, 2014
obi123: i wear my hair natural because it gives me my own "individual look" .

Weaves are pretty but right now they tend to make everyone look the same so that individuality is lost, right now Nigerian girls have a stereotype look, same hair , same make up with that dreadful eyebrows that everyone seems to have , weaves just help you fit into that stereotype look.

My natural hair doesn't age me, i can't spend all this money taking care of my skin and body and then go on to ruin my look with so much hair that makes me look at least 5-10years older than i really am.

Weaves are pretty , but they are just not the look i'm going for.
Right on point. There's this university they call uniben, all the girls there, are the same- courtsey to same make-up and hairstyle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.