Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,116 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30173 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ThaProphet(m): 1:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
UjSizzle: *In Estelle's voice*
I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within.

Estelle?

I believe that's an India Arie song.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by UjSizzle(f): 1:21pm On Aug 26, 2014
D33VA: The amount of time Africans spend debating about what constitutes as racial inferiority mentality if channelled constructively wld hv lifted ds continent above d west.

I fix my hair because I want to fix my hair. My mother keeps hers because she wants to. D same way Europeans tan dem selves because they want to. Evrytn is not about race for goodness sake.

Na joblessness dey worry naija men. Pesin no see food chop hin go begin discuss things wey no make brain.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by chlowi(f): 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
pDude:

My dear, I hate weave die!

It breeds filth and germs.

U sound hypocritical... I bet alll the women in ur life all go natural yaright

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 26, 2014
pDude: grin grin

Silly things. In the name of weave you will see some wearing a very nasty looking, dirty, multicolored weave and be caressing it like it was theirs.

Imagine in the oppressive naija heat them go carry brazillian yaki chook for their head, and be tapping their head when it is itching them.

Tufiakwa. Filthy things.
The bolded is just what I can't get. They will be handling the hair as if its a product of their fine genes.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Preach o jare!!! PREAAAAAAAAACH.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kandiikane(m): 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
This same old bullshyt?

African men and their hypocrisy since 1607AD

6 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by chlowi(f): 2:21pm On Aug 26, 2014
GentleMimi: Most comments made here are mere fictions. An opportunity to bash females,i guess? Lol. The same males condemning weaves are still the same individuals in the real world who chase after such babes and ignore the ones with natural hair. Some even call them(natural hair wearers) ''deeper life sisters''. How many of ur sisters carry natural hair? Can u peeps who condemn weaves and relaxers marry a lady who goes natural? Pls spare us the rants and complaints. The hypocrisy on this thread got me gagging... Are the males out there diff from the ones posting on this thread?
I am not in support of wasting hard earned money on expensive hair weaves. But if u've got a good job and can afford it,pls go ahead! Look good,feel great!
@ blackweaver,bless you!
Yet they say females are confused. Males should make up their minds abt what they want in all honesty. Let us leave self-righteousness aside.

Do not mind the hypocrites!!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by naptu2: 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
UjSizzle:
Ah yes it was. Thanks grin

.....so you're not completely old school tongue

grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
chlowi:

U sound hypocritical... I bet alll the women in ur life all go natural yaright

Yes. They all do.

My female siblings are into beauty sturvz and they know all the nasty shyt that go with weave hence they avoid it. My woman's hair is long and she wears it like her crown.

Anything else?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by pablus: 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
please cut our African/Nigerian women some slack. i don't think it's that bad. besides, most of our women are confident, educated and don't have that much self esteem issues. come to the US and see the madness here. even white women use weave-ons or is it weavons lol. some whites who are naturally brunettes have been fake blondes for 10+ years!

Relaxing/hair treatment is expected. i like my women to be hot. even as a man, don't you take care of your hair? hope so.

i'm def not a fan of short hair/crew cut on a woman.

i absolutely dislike the brazilian hair/indian hair stu.pidity. waste of money. Indian and Brazilian women must have a certain feel of superiority that these women are clamoring for their hair.

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by tonididdy(m): 2:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy
lamest excuse ever..."my hair is not weatherfriendly "...WTf
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 2:56pm On Aug 26, 2014
pDude:

Yes. They all do.

My female siblings are into beauty sturvz and they know all the nasty shyt that go with weave hence they avoid it. My woman's hair is long and she wears it like her crown.

Anything else?
Liar Liar pants on fire! tongue

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Praise5: 3:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
pDude:

B!tch, why do you all say this same shyt? So which hair is not difficult to manage? Ethiopian ladies have thick, stubborn, coarse, long hair yet they don't wear weaves. They wear their God given shyt.

Your defense is bollocks
Can you tell us if your mother, sisters, girlfriend or wife all wear their natural hair *since birth* If your answer is no, then start the crusade with them.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by careema(f): 3:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
icedee1: most Africans especially the women are not satisfied the way God intended them to be so the cook up good excuses as to why they wear false hair,false nails,false eye lashes,even false boobs and backside too.they just want to copy the white people who colonised them,they are never free,they have also lost the true identity of an African women even some men too

So her excuse isn't genuine enuf? Typical Nigerian man, you believe what ever you want to believe. For example I have a very stubborn natural hair, the hair they break comb, they combs it has broken self don break Guinness book of record, oh! I forgot to remind you that's natural hair is painful when combing. So tell me that's not a genuine reason lemme come and beat you to a pulp cheesy grin.
Besides, what to you have against civilization? Tot that's what we all trying to attain.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Briareos(m): 3:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
careema:

So her excuse isn't genuine enuf? Typical Nigerian man, you believe what ever you want to believe. For example I have a very stubborn natural hair, the hair they break comb, they combs it has broken self don break Guinness book of record, oh! I forgot to remind you that's natural hair is painful when combing. So tell me that's not a genuine reason lemme come and beat you to a pulp cheesy grin.
Besides, what to you have against civilization? Tot that's what we all trying to attain.

The bolded is the problem. Civilization is not about trying to have the Caucasian look.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by trublvr(f): 3:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
People are still having this argument in this season of deadly viruses and terrorism?

I've been natural for almost 3 years, and i put in weaves and wigs because African 4c hair does not like to be touched, combed or otherwise manipulated. Not because i have low self esteem or I'm denying my Africanness. My hair grows faster when its protected, shikena!

Total strangers (men) have asked me why i have my afro out in public, like i should be ashamed of what God put in my scalp. Only once in the years i have been natural has a man said to me that my kinky hair looked nice. I get the rudest statements from men and women alike, who all feel the need to share their retarded opinions. One male colleague makes it a point of duty to tell me to "cover that tin up" whenever I carry my fro!

The same men who say weaves are bad because they show you have low self esteem, would never give a woman with natural, nappy hair the time of day,because she doesn't have hair like all dem video Vixens!

My hair is my business, and if what I do with it bothers men so much, here's a novel idea...ignore it! When its in a weave, you complain. When its natural and unrelaxed, you complain. There's just no pleasing people, I swear, so let me just please myself, and Bleep everyone else!

Its just hair, people!

6 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Litmus: 3:25pm On Aug 26, 2014
I have not bothered reading the post because I know what the conclusion will be. The conclusion will be one of that delusional argument put forward by our women which is that Black men like fair-skinned long haired women. The truth is that most men of African origin love our women's hair natural. However our women don't care what we think or believe. They wear long hair because they believe it makes them look feminine having bought into the Western Marketing ploy, which has created the illusion that short hair is masculine, and there's nothing that men of African origin can do about it. Long hair is in the realm of black women now and you, as a male, would be straying into dangerous "Mamaman" territory if you jumped in there with them trying to battle it out.

A black woman could make a name for herself and money too, through the Television Interviews circuit, by publicly burning the longhair wig or extension, paralleling Germaine Greer's historic burning of the bra. But they'd never do it. Long hair is like gold dust. lipsrsealed
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by omodada1111(m): 3:27pm On Aug 26, 2014
Shifting away from colonial mentality and all, this is the supreme take (in my opinion): 1 Peter 3:3-4, 1 Timothy 2:9-10. Narrow is the way? undecided
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by chlowi(f): 3:45pm On Aug 26, 2014
pDude:

Yes. They all do.

Anything else?

You should know better!!! Pic or idontbelieveit grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
Praise5: Can you tell us if your mother, sisters, girlfriend or wife all wear their natural hair *since birth* If your answer is no, then start the crusade with them.

Here's your answer:

To be an educator means to teach and sometimes the best way to teach is to lead by example, so allow me to do just that.
My aged mother’s rocks her natural hair all her life under the same Nigerian weather you accused of wickedness.
My wife have been on 100% natural afro-centric curl even before I knew her (that natural hair sure contributed to the attraction) and she had a blast doing it.
My daughters? and so are my lovely daughters.
My sisters have since dropped the "fakeness" and have since reverted to their blackness.
And talking about me, I worked in corporate Nigeria, yet, I rock a huge afro and I have never been so been so cute.
Yes, we look, feel and are better in our natural state.

Unfortunately, many of our sisters do not remember how beautiful we are without so-called glitz, glam and lye. Sisters been hoodwinked by White media to think that we are not enough because of the lack of “reasonable”, natural images in their media. Also unfortunate that there are too many sisters willing to co-sign with the lies fed to our people. A poster above me (Civilized Careema) call wearing caucasian hair "civilization" - SMH.

This is not a condemnation of beautiful black women, neither is it a judgement on those who will still continue to IMITATE caucasian hair.
It is rather the beginning of our joining of being glorious in our own image. In our understanding that we need to represent the negroes, be it in hair, skin colour, culture and our psyche.
For us to even be having this discussion in this manner, It shows the awakening has begun.
Yes! The train of this renewal have just left the station.

I Love you black women. You rock!

“Don’t remove the kinks from your hair! Remove them from your brain!” – Marcus Garvey

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
chlowi:

You should know better!!! Pic or idontbelieveit grin cheesy

After you post yours.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
Praise5: Can you tell us if your mother, sisters, girlfriend or wife all wear their natural hair *since birth* If your answer is no, then start the crusade with them.

Yes they all do. Anything else?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Liar Liar pants on fire! tongue

Hard to believe huh? Well, I will gain nothing from lying to you.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by yogun(f): 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
#teamnaturalhair... Lol
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Babaji111(m): 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
When people forget their inward beauty, they f.u.ck up. I love seeing black girls in their natural outlook. If a girl or woman has low hair, make it look good and carry on with your life. Attachments are unhealthy and costly to maintain. Anyways, my Fulani women are naturally endowed with long hair likewise my lovely wife. Thank God!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 26, 2014
oluwabamis:

Most Nairalanders are childish, you made good points, why spoil it with the last sentence
Very Childish i tell ya
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
evegran: I wear my natural hair 30% of the time and I enjoy wearing other hairs 70% of the time. Its my head and my decision, it has nothing to do with complex or blah. We all have the right to express ourselves in whatever way we wanna!

Another brainless HAIR HATTED HOOLIGAN!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by xp17(m): 4:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
Missonas: Some white women too wear hair extensions and relax their hair too.Their own inferiority complex bad be that o undecided
...and the hair extension they wear is from a black woman? dumb analysis!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
careema:

You black women like praising yourself and telling everybody how beautiful you are yet you lack simple and common sense. Why wont your hair break when you rarely take out time to manage it and know the right conditioner to apply to keep it strong,shiny and well kept. You spent 90% of your time wearing fake hair that is glued into your hair and you expect your natural hair to remain healthy. This kind of foolishness is unforgivable! You be mumu! You are insecure and lack self esteem. And why is it that as soon as somebody snatches a fake weave off a black woman's hair she runs away and covers her face in shame ? laugh wan kill me die....You people are embarrassing us!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
xp17: ...and the hair extension they wear is from black women? dumb analysis!

Isnt it just very annoying to hear the kind of arguments these women are coming up with ?
Very ignorant and shameless bunch....Nobody in the whole wide world wears a replica of a black woman's hair and that tells you nobody wanna be like them. Not because they are ugly but because the other races are thankful for the way God made them but not the black woman. The black woman even wears contact lens.....how disgraceful.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy
Your picture please.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by UjSizzle(f): 5:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
Too many uncultured people on this thread tsk tsk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.