Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,943 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30179 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by franklininu: 10:53am On Aug 26, 2014
END TIME THINGS
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by macof(m): 11:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy

First of all most Nigerian tribes have had clothing industry for thousands of years.
My ancestors aren't known to walk around naked or bare footed.

ur comment on this jst proves beyond doubt that you suffer from gross inferiority complex...you go to the extent of cooking up lies

Go learn your history lady and stop this caucasian worshipping

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by mspee(f): 11:07am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

Had to check your profile pic. You are too natural! How do you do it? Pls teach me na sad

Meanie! cheesy
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by SexyFox(f): 11:13am On Aug 26, 2014
iamlola:

This conditioner you use, is it not made from chemical too? You and the person using relaxer are not much different; both are chemicals, just that one is harsher than the other.
Don't misquote me. I never said people should stop relaxing their hair. I only replied her statement of natural hair care being expensive.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

You have a point. Inasmuch as I don't use false nails, false lashes or false booobs, I strongly believe everyone should be allowed to choose freely. We all ain't the same and I hate to call people names or tag them because they don't believe in what I believe in. Come on, we really can't be the same!

Many Nigerians are hypocritical. If you want to promote your culture, wear your traditional attire to the office or for interviews. Or do we all suffer from low self-esteem?

Don't just pick the part that suits you. Be faithful in all African culture rules. I mean ALL.
your analogy seems off point, we do have NATURAL CLOTHES and SHOES but all of us have NATURAL HAIR.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by hisableplc(m): 11:24am On Aug 26, 2014
OP u'v done well just forwarded dis to my fiance...aside religious tins natural beauty is wat i crave for i dont mind learning how to weave hair cos of her so there wont b complains .
And for u d 1st commenter dats no xcuse though ur choice dos nt mean u r rit. Originalsly has done justice rit

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 26, 2014
I wear mine tongue tongue

JonBee1: It is psychological damaging to the black psyche and self-worth; when black women wear Caucasian hair attachment, uses relaxer, use synthetic weave as an imitation of white hair type. How Black women wear their hair reflects the acceptance or rejection of their Blackness. This poor choice reveals the inferiority complex in some Black women. This addiction is mostly an attempt to assimilate to white standards of beauty and for some it is just a fashion thing in line with current vogue in black community. Such shame when black women walk into a pharmacy or beauty-supply store (especially in white-dominated environment) and shamelessly ask, “Relaxers are down which aisle?”
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by mrarranger: 11:37am On Aug 26, 2014
What is ur biz with what they put on?? If it makes them feel comfortable and look good,then no problem.......OR

ARE YOU JEALOUS?

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by UjSizzle(f): 11:40am On Aug 26, 2014
*In India Arie's voice*
I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by 360command: 11:42am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy
its about weaving the hair the african way and not leaving it open. For once, let the white copy from us.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Elle780(f): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2014
And dis made frontpage
mtcheeeeeeeeew

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by willibounce1(m): 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2014
The truth is most black young ladies feel ugly when they wear their natural hair. That's why many of them go for d fake hairs. Some of them will do anything just to get Brazilian hair. D annoying thing is u still see their unkempt natural hair under d expensive wig they wear. Why not spend that money on ur natural hair instead of the fake hair.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by smudge2079(m): 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
tell dem jare...but if u ask me, na who i go ask?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Anacksunamun: 12:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
sweetyEse: #Teamnaturalhairbabes.
You bloody hypocrite and liar. Your hair is the opposite of "natural." You carry a fake weave-on and you are screaming #Teamnaturalhairbabes. Mtchewwww!!

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
Anacksunamun: You bloody hypocrite and liar. Your hair is the opposite of "natural." You carry a fake fake weave-on and you are screaming #Teamnaturalhairbabes. Mtchewwww!!
grin grin grin grin

Nna, easy na....see as u dey spray us with spit.Chillax joor grin

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sweetyEse(f): 12:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
[quote
author=Anacksunamun] You bloody hypocrite and liar. Your hair is the
opposite of "natural." You carry a fake fake weave-on and you are
screaming #Teamnaturalhairbabes. Mtchewwww!![/quote]Have a nice day.smiley
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sweetyEse(f): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

Had to check your profile pic. You are too natural! How do you do it? Pls teach me na sad
smiley
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by shyshally(f): 12:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
Lol,guys r soo funny,I guess you have to be a lady before you understand what we go through.try leaving your hair 4 like 3 wks n uld see how it gets broken.its nt a matter of lowself esteem or acceptance of our black identity,its a matter of looking tidy,pretty n be able to go out 2 d streets.
So if d op is asked to choose between a girl that goes natural with her hair and another girl that fixed,am quite sure he would go for the latter,thou he would deny it here oh.just smh for some people
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by 2CatWoman: 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
mki: Beautiful.

Not all ladies can carry that look. The second pic looks a bit masculine

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Anacksunamun: 12:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
grin grin grin grin

Nna, easy na....see as u dey spray us with spit.Chillax joor grin

LOL!! I'm not vexed o, I'm just allergic to hypocrisy. gringrin

Take a look at how the wig-wearing chick dissed other wig-wearing women, meaning she's not proud of both her natural and un-natural hair. she be bat wey no belong for air nor land, ni? gringrin

Anyway, I can't criticise ladies that use weave-on, wig etc. All I want is, look good and don't go over the tops to buy a Brazilian hair that one can't afford. Some ladies don't have zilch in their accounts, but will even sell their bodies just to buy Peruvian hair. That's stupidity. As long as a lady can legally afford these wigs and look good in them, I've got no problem.

What's funny is that 99% of the men ranting off, have GFs, sisters, mothers, cousins, nieces, all wearing WEAVES. Yeye dey smell!!

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by naptu2: 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2014
UjSizzle: *In Estelle's voice*
I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within.

Wasn't that India Arie?

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Anacksunamun: 12:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2:

Wasn't that India Arie?
Yeah, it's India Arie not Estelle.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Missonas(f): 12:39pm On Aug 26, 2014
Some white women too wear hair extensions and relax their hair too.Their own inferiority complex bad be that o undecided
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 26, 2014
The funny thing is when they have an itchy scalp and they can't get to the itch and start slapping their heads like a mad person....what a bunch of low self esteem idiotic bishes........I have zero respect for any black bish that wears brazillian/indian weave ....like who the phuck are u fooling?

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 12:48pm On Aug 26, 2014
Anacksunamun:

LOL!! I'm not vexed o, I'm just allergic to hypocrisy. gringrin

Take a look at how the wig-wearing chick dissed other wig-women, meaning she's not proud of both her natural and un-natural hair. she be bat wey no belong for air nor land, ni? gringrin

Anyway, I can't criticise ladies that use weave-on, wig etc. All I want is, look good and don't go over the tops to buy a Brazilian hair that one can't afford. Some ladies don't have zilch in their accounts, but will even sell their bodies just to buy Peruvian hair. That's stupidity. As long as a lady can legally afford these wigs and look good in them, I've got no problem.

What's funny is that 99% of the men ranting off, have GFs, sisters, mothers, cousins, nieces, all wearing WAEVES. Yeye dey smell!!
Preach o jare!!! PREAAAAAAAAACH.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by uzolexis(f): 12:49pm On Aug 26, 2014
My hair,my rules grin grin

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Lailerh(f): 12:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
I assure all the black women out there that with proper care and maintenance, you can grow a strong long hair smiley It just needs time and patience
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ThaProphet(m): 1:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
Lol...this topic always controversial as usual.

Ladies should be able to do whatever they want with their hair imo. It's a free world. However, we cannot hide the fact that the standard of beauty employed by most is European (this is evident in our brothers as well).

Personally, I dislike straight/flowy hair. I find it annoying and it just goes everywhere strands all over the place and I don't find it attractive. Therefore, I don't fancy an African lady with European styled hair. I prefer the so called "nappy" texture. Personal preference, don't crucify me please.

Also, I cannot be that naive to not understand why African ladies are hooked up on weaves, wigs and the likes. Like someone already said, a lot do not even know their "natural" hair let alone know how to care for it. At first, when ladies "go" natural (the term "go natural" does not make sense, it is more like "return to natural") it will certainly be difficult because they have never known their natural hair hence, they don't last long. Also, the majority of the products on the market are not geared towards caring for the natural hair type. So, they just take the easy way out and follow the crowd.

Another point that has also been addressed is the role of the men. If our women are mentally enslaved and colonised, then we brothers are extra enslaved and colonised. Truth is, regardless of the number of guys on this thread bashing weave/wig wearing women, majority of our brothers still believe that European type hair is better, hence many chase after girls with horrible weaves and buy their girlfriends Brazilian, Indian Peruvian etc hair. There's a market for it.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ThaProphet(m): 1:04pm On Aug 26, 2014
Let me try to attack a few arguments:

AFRICAN HAIR IS DIFFICULT TO MANAGE: This argument is lame. Let's assume it is indeed "difficult". Well, nothing good comes easy. Easy come, easy go. A lot can be said about the character of a person who avoids doing something because it is difficult. Furthermore, what type of hair is easy to manage? White, Indian, Filipino? Truth is that other races spend lots of time caring for their hair also and it is certainly not easy. Have you ever seen a European with bad hair? Many care for their hair daily to avoid bad hair.

IF WE MUST HAVE NATURAL HAIR AS AFRICANS THEN WE MUST ALSO GO NAKED: Uhm....this not a very sensible argument imo. So, are we now comparing hair to clothes? HAIR and CLOTHES? Ok. So, the concept of clothes is European? Africans never had clothes? This is a quite uneducated argument. To the person who also mentioned technology and said technology is unafrican...are you sure about that? Go and read some more. Technology is as African as it is Asian, European, Native American etc. This argument as it relates to this topic holds no water.

WHAT IS NATURAL?: Now a lot of us have been banging on this idea of natural. What exactly is natural and unnatural? Using this definition: NATURAL IS ANYTHING THAT EXISTS WITHIN NATURE. Is going to the barber to cut of the hair that grows naturally on my head natural? Why cut off something natural? Shaving our beards, shaping up etc. Even some apply products to create patterns and waves in their hair. Hell!! Some brothers even straighten and perm. Is the unnatural bashing not extended to them?

Okay...let's talk chemicals used to make all these changes to our hair. Are chemicals not natural? Don't chemicals exist within nature? So, what exactly is natural and unnatural?

It's all about freedom. African hair can be the easiest type of hair to maintain and our ladies will still wear European style weaves. There is no excuse of ignorance any African can give anymore. The information is out there. I know quite a number of ladies who keep their African textured hair (natural as it is often described) and they mention that it gets easier and easier, cheaper and cheaper overtime. Drop the excuses, it is a matter of choice.

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by D33VA(f): 1:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
The amount of time Africans spend debating about what constitutes as racial inferiority mentality if channelled constructively wld hv lifted ds continent above d west.

I fix my hair because I want to fix my hair. My mother keeps hers because she wants to. D same way Europeans tan dem selves because they want to. Evrytn is not about race for goodness sake.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by UjSizzle(f): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2:

Wasn't that India Arie?
Ah yes it was. Thanks grin

.....so you're not completely old school tongue

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

Let me post a picture of a nice braid and 97% of them would fall over their keyboards or keypads to click the LIKE button.
Post a picture of nice full nappy hair and see if you won't get more likes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.