Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30204 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 26, 2014
SexyFox:
Natural hair care is cheaper. I am guessing you went for very expensive product. I use petal conditional, olive oil, once in a while I use mayonase. And my hair soft.

This conditioner you use, is it not made from chemical too? You and the person using relaxer are not much different; both are chemicals, just that one is harsher than the other.

7 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by nenergy(m): 8:31am On Aug 26, 2014
Braids and weaves are nice. Wigs and weave-on are just nasty. Even my mother doesn't use them, so why should a lady do?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by vm26: 8:34am On Aug 26, 2014
we are trying to impress men.now tht man have said it is not cool.we will cut our hairs.thank you guys

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 26, 2014
nenergy: Braids and weaves are nice. Wigs and weave-on are just nasty. Even my mother doesn't use them, so why should a lady do?
do u wear suits? do u use toothbrush(instead of African chewing stick)?, do u eat American food? isn't dat inferiority too? ooo,i knw - u are a man

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by free2ryhme: 8:36am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Trust me, its stressful going natural. I tried the whole natural thing this year, bloody expensive.

Did u trying using products for natural hair ?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by rofemiguwa(f): 8:41am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes. 10000 likes for you caracta. Please be my friend. I overlike u. #no homo#

All dis chemical ish. All dose conditioner and de rest of the tinz d naturalista rub. No be chemical dey inside.

Give it a rest already

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by xp17(m): 8:43am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

you haven't convinced me though. If the weather is not friendly, you can make it like amber's hair

Or this nairalander
www.nairaland.com/uzolexis

Btw, I'm a diehard fan of natural hair.

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 26, 2014
Don't you guys ever get tired ? This recycled topic undecided

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2014
xp17: you haven't convinced me though. If the weather is not friendly, you can make it like amber's hair

Or this nairalander
www.nairaland.com/uzolexis

Btw, I'm a diehard fan of natural hair.

lool but how many girls can pull of that amber rose look ?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 8:53am On Aug 26, 2014
iamlola:

This conditioner you use, is it not made from chemical too? You and the person using relaxer are not much different; both are chemicals, just that one is harsher than the other.

Thank you!

I see no difference between someone with a permed hair and another person with chemicals on natural hair. Both of them did something.

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by davidif: 8:57am On Aug 26, 2014
This reminds me of the Chris Tucker movie Good hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 8:58am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

You have a point. Inasmuch as I don't use false nails, false lashes or false booobs, I strongly believe everyone should be allowed to choose freely. We all ain't the same and I hate to call people names or tag them because they don't believe in what I believe in. Come on, we really can't be the same!

Many Nigerians are hypocritical. If you want to promote your culture, wear your traditional attire to the office or for interviews. Or do we all suffer from low self-esteem?

Don't just pick the part that suits you. Be faithful in all African culture rules. I mean ALL.

When it comes to hair, people have a right to choose what they do with theirs

But the issue with relaxed hair is entirely different, to MOST black women it is more than a choice, it is psychological #FACT#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJamE_hcck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cv0ji7LumI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz8av9MBUok
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sweetyEse(f): 8:59am On Aug 26, 2014
#Teamnaturalhairbabes.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by nenergy(m): 9:01am On Aug 26, 2014
mrvocalprowess: do u wear suits? do u use toothbrush(instead of African chewing stick)?, do u eat American food? isn't dat inferiority too? ooo,i knw - u are a man
When you convince yourself that you're NOT complete without an appendage then it becomes a problem. Sewing someone else's hair (Human hair) to yours so you can feel like a human is just sad!

I wear suits, I eat pies and brush with toothbrush... but I don't need them to feel good about myself.

You are not your HAIR!!

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 26, 2014
nenergy:
When you convince yourself that you're NOT complete without an appendage then it becomes a problem. Sewing someone else's hair (Human hair) to yours so you can feel like a human is just sad!

I wear suits, I eat pies and brush with toothbrush... but I don't need them to feel good about myself.
wat are we talking about here? so u tink women do it to feel good bout demselves!!! hun?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 9:04am On Aug 26, 2014
sweetyEse: #Teamnaturalhairbabes.

Had to check your profile pic. You are too natural! How do you do it? Pls teach me na sad

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 26, 2014
mrvocalprowess: most men in dis thread are intimidated by women, real men are not intimidated by such,work on ur ego's chauvinist males of Nairaland, yall smell of inferiority complex,dats y most of u cant marry successful women but wud stick to d village/local girls who aint exposed because u can easily change her views.. big ups to caracta ,i see a future chimamanda adichie
What is this one saying?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by oge4real(f): 9:06am On Aug 26, 2014
I will only give a serious response if Mr OP can honestly post pics of the women in his life to prove they are natural.
Some of these men preach natural yet they never take a second glance at women rocking their fro. They are automatically relegated as "bush girls" while the chemically relaxed, weave- wearing ladies are acclaimed "clean, smart, well groomed and hot babes".
Classic case of hypocrisy.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 26, 2014
Danrizzle: What is this one saying?
d truth!!! deal wit it

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by oge4real(f): 9:09am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

Had to check your profile pic. You are too natural! How do you do it? Pls teach me na sad

Got me laughing
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by ryom(m): 9:09am On Aug 26, 2014
Whatever our black sisters do with/to their hair, whatever it is the reason for their choices, they should please remember there is an 'epidemic' of TRACTION ALOPECIA (google is your friend) in the black women community, and that can be very difficult to treat. 'Nuff said!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 26, 2014
oge4real: I will only give a serious response if Mr OP can honestly post pics of the women in his life to prove they are natural.
Some of these men preach natural yet they never take a second glance at women rocking their fro. They are automatically relegated as "bush girls" while the chemically relaxed, weave- wearing ladies are acclaimed "clean, smart, well groomed and hot babes".
Classic case of hypocrisy.
tank u... deeper life girls full everywhere, help me ask if dey have approached jst one of dem,practice wat u preach...

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 26, 2014
mrvocalprowess: do u wear suits? do u use toothbrush(instead of African chewing stick)?, do u eat American food? isn't dat inferiority too? ooo,i knw - u are a man
You're a girl.. Know that we all know.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by cc150615(f): 9:12am On Aug 26, 2014
royalsweetness: I have my natural hair, unrelaxed, yet I refuse to understand people who won't let other people wear their hair the way they need to wear them. Even with all the products, most styles for natural hair would take atleast 3 hours to pull off, and do not last more than two days till you have to style it again (4c hair). If u wanna take a bantu knot out to work, you have to spend hours knotting it the night before, sleep with it, then unknot in the morning b4 work. Not everyone has that kinda time... Having said that, I still think the reason most Nigerian girls don't wear their natural hair is because they don't even know their natural hair. Most times our mothers relax it before we are old enough to know it, then they make you hate undergrowth so much that u can't even imagine your whole hair as undergrowth. I believe every girl should experiment with their natural hair (especially if your mum relaxed it as a kid), most times you end up falling in love with it despite how difficult it can be. But if as a grown woman, you've ever tried the natural hair thing and it just doesn't suit your lifestyle, then please rock on that weave or whatever rocks your boat.
naturalistas rock!!!!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by nenergy(m): 9:14am On Aug 26, 2014
mrvocalprowess: wat are we talking about here? so u tink women do it to feel good bout demselves!!! hun?

You know it now!!!
A Lady will decline a picture......until she 'fixes' her hair. Why?

Abeg, as long as the people in their lives are OK with it...fire on!!!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 26, 2014
Danrizzle: You're a girl.. Know that we all know.
read my signature and ask urslf if I'm a girl... not all men are biased n chauvinist...

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Briareos(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2014
The unnatural hair syndrome is not really an inferiority complex issue - more of neo-colonization.

We've been sold to sneer at what belongs to us and accept the white ways to be the ultimate way.

Pick up any popular Nigerian fashion magazine, hardly will you find support for "natural hair". Most of their articles are primed into turning African women into Caucasian.

Check out TV, movies or any media; the subtle message is always there... White ways are the best. Anything African is dirty and unacceptable.

What these people don't understand is that people will accept you if you accept yourself. You are created perfect originally even if you don't see it.

Example is Lupita Nyong. She graces the cover of Vogue in her natural hair! I recall many white commenting; "This is one beautiful woman" on a picture of her on Vogue's Facebook page.

Until Africans realize we are a unique race and not just God's mistake, and start taking pride in what is ours, we'll always be relegated to the back in the affairs of this world.

7 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by salomycruz: 9:17am On Aug 26, 2014
pDude:

B!tch, why do you all say this same shyt? So which hair is not difficult to manage? Ethiopian ladies have thick, stubborn, coarse, long hair yet they don't wear weaves. They wear their God given shyt.

Your defense is bollocks
my bro biko leave all this your stories for script writers" 1 mans food anoda 1 poison...the only reason i wud still carry my natural hair is if it wud gurantee my sucex in life or prolly get free mony frm d bank...

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by chineloSA(f): 9:19am On Aug 26, 2014
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Sixix: 9:21am On Aug 26, 2014

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Our weather is not damaging to our hair, this is like saying the weather in Europe is damaging to Caucasian hair. The solution lies in good hair regimen. Cold weather is damaging to all hair types #FACT#

Basically your natural hair is ugly and untidy, it needs to be straightened to look tidy and cute. Your response is typical answer you get from a racist Caucasian undecided

Within four to five years of good hair care regimen like the above your hair should be exactly like this or even longer

[img]http://hairscapades.files./2012/02/img_20391.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_CHQ_Kq9bMIc/S3I7v6JDCyI/AAAAAAAAFzA/pVofteFrEt4/s1600-h/nikki1.JPG
[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-5XrWs64ppso/U_Y2Ra2IBjI/AAAAAAAAEoc/kxVblZIYLIo/s1600/mantabolism1.jpg[/img]

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/08/will-naptural85s-25-minute-co-wash-and-detangle-method-work-on-waist-length-4c-hair/

Do you know what they all have in common? GOOD HAIR REGIMEN

Any NAPPY HEADED WOMAN CAN ACHIEVE THAT LENGTH

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by chineloSA(f): 9:22am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Trust me, its stressful going natural. I tried the whole natural thing this year, bloody expensive.

I have been natural from 2003, honestly speaking, comparing to when I was not natural, I don't get woman when they say natural is expensive.
The only expensive part I felt is when I was starting my dreadlocks, but not my nappy hair.

Its somehow a big fat lie.

Its just that you have to visit the salon constantly to wash your hair. Which when you are not natural you don't wash your hair that often.

So somehow unnatural is unhygienic. A human being needs to wash their hair at least once a week. So I don't think we should celebrate lack of hygiene to justify why we go unnatural. Rather we use another excuse. undecided undecided undecided undecided

Though I am not saying people should go natural because I am natural smiley

UNNATURAL HAIR IS UNHYGIENIC

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ezibless: 9:22am On Aug 26, 2014
thomasdareal: o ya give me ur pin.I mean ur BB pin.
Na only officice pin i get o. I no dey do BBM

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.