Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68919 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaboninc(m): 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2014
mechanics: ok, av heard u, but am nt disputing dat fact, atleast dey shud give room 4 all, so indirectly ar d companies trying to say dat weak 2.1 ar nt relevant, cos to me even a 2.2 student can perform beta dan a first class n dis days were students bribe lecturers in kind n cash, God dey.

For the fact that I came out with a 2.2 doesn't make me a dull person. Most of these companies place these requirements at the entry stage.

As an experienced hire, it won't be about 2.1 or 2.2 but what you've added to you skill set, your competency, capabilities and capacity.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 12:53pm On Sep 13, 2014
Samcathe: It is in this part of the world that we celebrate certificate rather than inventions.

Certificate will only provide you a job.

Are u saying u dnt care how ur lady gets her first class or 2.1 even to the extent of sleeping with more than 5 lecturers.
Whats the essence of having a grade that you can not defend outside.

All I knw is that there is no sane being that will not strive to graduate with good grade but our ability/family/challenges/background differs and this goes a long way to determine ones grade.

You have a point and I got it. But does it mean male that got a first class or good 2'1 slept with all the female lecturers? When you have a grade and you can't defend, then you are still learning in process and there is assurance that one day, you will get it.
But how worst it is for you to spend all the years in the university, yet nobody is giving you the opportunity to defend it or even a chance to prove yourself because of the low grade, especially when your parent are not wealthy type that can connect you or give money to do business.
What I am saying in essence is that, if you want to work in a good place and you don't have enough connection, your grade makes you get the attention first before proving your personality. Without that, no chance to prove yourself because graduates with even good grade are too many to screen, not to talk of considering other.
Your result out of schools has lot of pictures to portray about your school like, even if it is fake, but that's the reality today. Assuming I am your father with good grade from university, and you as my child gets a third class from the university. Later, somebody (a friend of yours) told me you didn't serious while you were in school, attending all parties, not attending lectures and the likes. Please tell me why I shouldn't believe that person? Simply because your result/grade attest to that, so I will believe... THE RESULT/GRADE SHALL JUSTIFY THE MEANS... The world is watching you!!!

Be wise in all your dealings and get the best for yourself first at each stage, because one good step leads to another good step and like that.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by butanep(m): 12:54pm On Sep 13, 2014
Contumely:

And who said that an illiterate or a pass grad cannot be a boss? Can't you get that the point is that having a good grade gives you the edge, opens many doors ranging from access to interviews to scholarships. Big coys like KPMG, PwC etc emphasize 2:1 and above. It happens all over the world that grads with good grades or Ivy league schools are sought after. Just like comparing an OND with a BSc holder, when you the difference is clear for eg in the civil service.
I hate it when people are unreasonably pig headed. Your post smacks of frustration and a cheap attempt to garner forlon hope and validation for yourself. Keep citing few exception and regarding them as the rule. Sounds like a dolt. More like you made a pass in school. Keep living in delusions. Gibberish.
donn't mind that guy... I think his metality is low... If someone with a third class is managing a company and it doing well, a first class or second class upper might make it do better... " You said hos fathers company baa" the father might as well employ those with good brains and good grades to assist him... Please think before you commet...
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by butanep(m): 12:57pm On Sep 13, 2014
Contumely:

And who said that an illiterate or a pass grad cannot be a boss? Can't you get that the point is that having a good grade gives you the edge, opens many doors ranging from access to interviews to scholarships. Big coys like KPMG, PwC etc emphasize 2:1 and above. It happens all over the world that grads with good grades or Ivy league schools are sought after. Just like comparing an OND with a BSc holder, when you the difference is clear for eg in the civil service.
I hate it when people are unreasonably pig headed. Your post smacks of frustration and a cheap attempt to garner forlon hope and validation for yourself. Keep citing few exception and regarding them as the rule. Sounds like a dolt. More like you made a pass in school. Keep living in delusions. Gibberish.
donn't mind that guy... I think his mentality is low... If someone with a third class is managing a company and the company is doing well, a first class or second class upper might make it do better... " You said his fathers company baa" the father might as well employ those with good brains and good grades to assist him... Please think before you commet...
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by butanep(m): 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2014
Joy83:
You have a point and I got it. But does it mean male that got a first class or good 2'1 slept with all the female lecturers? When you have a grade and you can't defend, then you are still learning in process and there is assurance that one day, you will get it.
But how worst it is for you to spend all the years in the university, yet nobody is giving you the opportunity to defend it or even a chance to prove yourself because of the low grade, especially when your parent are not wealthy type that can connect you or give money to do business.
What I am saying in essence is that, if you want to work in a good place and you don't have enough connection, your grade makes you get the attention first before proving your personality. Without that, no chance to prove yourself because graduates with even good grade are too many to screen, not to talk of considering other.
Your result out of schools has lot of pictures to portray about your school like, even if it is fake, but that's the reality today. Assuming I am your father with good grade from university, and you as my child gets a third class from the university. Later, somebody (a friend of yours) told me you didn't serious while you were in school, attending all parties, not attending lectures and the likes. Please tell me why I shouldn't believe that person? Simply because your result/grade attest to that, so I will believe... THE RESULT/GRADE SHALL JUSTIFY THE MEANS... The world is watching you!!!

Be wise in all your dealings and get the best for yourself first at each stage, because one good step leads to another good step and like that.
No lady that sleep with all lecturer will graduate with a first class... The university know who is who... They re nt so stupid. They also ve image to protect.... The highest she will be given is a second class
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by butanep(m): 1:06pm On Sep 13, 2014
kaboninc:

For the fact that I came out with a 2.2 doesn't make me a dull person. Most of these companies place these requirements at the entry stage.

As an experienced hire, it won't be about 2.1 or 2.2 but what you've added to you skill set, your competency, capabilities and capacity.
as a 2.2, nobody said you are dull, but at the same time you re not intelligent...
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaboninc(m): 1:09pm On Sep 13, 2014
butanep: as a 2.2, no body same you are dull, but at the same time you re not intelligent...

Really? Intelligence is relative! We always ascribe intelligence when discussing academics. Its more than that.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 1:20pm On Sep 13, 2014
butanep: No lady that sleep with all lecturer will graduate with a first class... The university know who is who... They re nt so stupid. They also ve image to protect.... The highest she will be given is a second class
Thank you very much joor. I don't know why the mind of some are dirty like that, thinking any girl with good grade must have slept with her lecturers. In fact, majority of ladies with first class, if you know them in school, they are not the one that show anyhow. Will be gentle, even in most cases not attractive to behold while in school.
I know one girl like when I was in my first year, she was in final year, we did night class together sometimes. The girl is not attractive, to me at all and she finished with good First Class in Physics and Electronics, despite all hurdles in my school, come and see this girl during convocation, so beautiful to behold and desire.

Therefore, I don't think there is better excuse for failure as nothing is new again under the heaven and no one is born to fail... IT IS MATTER OF CHOICE AND YOU WORK TOWARDS YOUR DESIRE!
There is always a solution to every problem. It is left for us to discover it.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 13, 2014
butanep: as a 2.2, nobody said you are dull, but at the same time you re not intelligent...

as a 2.1 doesnt mean you are more intelligent than ur 2.2 counterparts. it means you probably work harder than them. some 2.2 graduate if would work hard the way you do, they would beat u at any exam and test.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 2:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
papiforreal:

as a 2.1 doesnt mean you are more intelligent than ur 2.2 counterparts. it means you probably work harder than them. some 2.2 graduate if would work hard the way you do, they would beat at u at any exam and test.
That's a salient truth. SERIOUSNESS.
Everybody is brilliant on his own, but success in anything depends on the passion and reason for it.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 3:25pm On Sep 13, 2014
Contumely:

I see ur level of education is so high u can talk shit about people u don't know. I'm getting u bro
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 13, 2014
Olutola88: Who says Nigerian youths are not talented? Please help me give the person a hot knock on the head!

Just take a look @ the level of this Gentleman's incisiveness, his communication is stupendous and a wise person can deduce from this piece that you are INTELLIGENT. I doff my hat bro!

When I establish my business, I'll be visiting forums like this to read people's posts and invite people like you to pass through hiring process in my company *lol*.

Since I don't have a company yet, I'll just have you on my network list as we could network when I sign my 1st job contract with a LUCKY company I don't know yet. Lol
wow, wow,wow, I'm highly flattered !! God Bless bro, amen !! grin lol !!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Samcathe: 9:24am On Sep 14, 2014
I like you argument cos u really take enuf time to prove ur point.

By the grace of God, I enjoy what it takes to be a distinction student in my days in school but what I av come to realise is that it doesnt stop there., there is life after campus.

You can bribe your way out to have the grades you want but the law of seed time and harvest says, while this earth remains, harvest will not seize.

As a matter of fact, if all you desire in life is to have a certificate and work for someone, you are living an average life.

Someone might be brilliant and not intelligent. You have only display your brilliancy when you are thought and you are able to put something down to have a good grade.

Its your intellect(ability to think alone) that is needed when you get to the outside world.

Whats what doing is what well, if you have the ability to have the best grade, do all you can to get it and if you had tried all ur best n it seems it does not look like, move on, thats not the determinant of your destiny
Joy83:

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mechanics(m): 12:03pm On Sep 14, 2014
kaboninc:

guy i didnt say u ar dull na, am only saying dat 2.1 is 2.1, dat if companies want to recruit, dey shud nt start discriminating those dat ar nt 4 point 2.1 o. N dat some 2.2 wil perform beta dan 2.1 n first class, n d skill dat individual has wil take him to places plus certificate, dont get wat i said twisted.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by nickxtra(m): 5:22pm On Sep 14, 2014
Elevation: 3.5/5 × 100=70% this shows you've been working hard,it's a good sign when u are employed u'll be serious with things placed in your care,however there is what we call probation period if you actually don't perform according to your academic prowess,u knw the rest.Furthermore pls get a REQUIRED SKILL that can improve the state of a firm,then u'll be appreciated the more. A (2.2 or third class) grad. will definitely be considered if he/she is specially skilled,for the undergees still in the varsity pls STUDY HARD.
Specially skilled like what?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaboninc(m): 7:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
mechanics: guy i didnt say u ar dull na, am only saying dat 2.1 is 2.1, dat if companies want to recruit, dey shud nt start discriminating those dat ar nt 4 point 2.1 o. N dat some 2.2 wil perform beta dan 2.1 n first class, n d skill dat individual has wil take him to places plus certificate, dont get wat i said twisted.

Oga, I never said you said so. I gave an illustration. Am not twisting or getting your statement twisted
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 8:34pm On Sep 14, 2014
cocoduck:
That is exactly what you people have been programmed to think. Self employment is about diligence and skills, if he is very dilligent and skilled that is to say delivering the finished products on time, and making almost no mistake and not engaging in mago mago to cheat his clients they will keep on recommending their friends, family and acquaintances to him, very soon he will even become overwhelmed with the number of projects on his lap. I know certain tailors that only make clothes for rich people and they are always always busy, why do you think that tailors are among the best liars? they do not have time. My tutor of automotive electricals and electronics repair and maintenance does not touch small cars. he only repairs and maintain luxury cars. he did not attend any university, but if you see the way these rich men and women treat him, one even went on her knees begging him to fix her car because the line was very long. So forget that thing you are saying. it is the wrong perception. That is what you think.
I see no sense in what u are saying. If 200 people ventures into tailoring, what's d percentage that 190 will make 150k a month. I know up to 5 people who are in that line of work, they don't make close to that amount. Like what i wrote before, except he sews for celebrities (rich people).
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 8:48pm On Sep 14, 2014
cocoduck:
What you don't know is greater than you are. entrepreneurship is never a talent. Is the ability to walk a talent? it is inbornin every human on earth. Even lunatics have it in them, the only thing that is not common is common sense. Google hi tv and compare him to innoson and you will understand what I mean. eschew this slave mentality for God's sake. The Indians and south Africans troop to Nigeria daily to milk us dry all you people do is jump from office to office and disturb the peace. So apply common sense and humility when starting a business, okay.
That's ur opinion mr. To me, i see entrepreneurial ability as a talent nd sth one should have a passion for. Not everyone has this talent nd passion. I see it as football nd other sports in which not everybody can play. See how u sounded like its a piece of cake. Apply common sense nd humility my ass. If applying common sense nd humility is d key to making it in entrepreneurship, every tom, dick nd harry would have been a successful business mogul today. Don't preach what u don't know.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 9:14pm On Sep 14, 2014
kaboninc:

Really? Intelligence is relative! We always ascribe intelligence when discussing academics. Its more than that.
Nice one. I concur. There's academic intelligence nd there's also real life intelligence. Most people who ve d former lacks d latter. To be honest, d latter is better cos after sch "Define physics" for example won't help u in real life situations.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by collineno11: 6:56am On Sep 15, 2014
Olutola88 pls I wud like to add u on whatsapp.. I want to discuss some tins with u off camera.. Tried sending u a mail but it isn't goin tru... Pls kindly inbox me ur digits
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 9:01am On Sep 15, 2014
collineno11: Olutola88 pls I wud like to add u on whatsapp.. I want to discuss some tins with u off camera.. Tried sending u a mail but it isn't goin tru... Pls kindly inbox me ur digits
I've sent u a mail. I've given information to as many people that contacted me. I'm still willing to assist as many as possible as this might be my only opportunity to contribute in a little way to your success. A pm will do
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by gorgeousnogo(f): 11:31am On Sep 15, 2014
@op, wic state are u serving in
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2014
gorgeousnogo: @op, wic state are u serving in
kindly send a pm cos I know you might ask further questions after I answer. *lol*
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sk8erBoy: 3:27pm On Sep 15, 2014
sk8erBoy: Right. I will begin by saying hard work pays no matter the sphere of life. It pays to have good grades in School - it simply opens a world of opportunities. Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness. Which means you can have good grades but if you are not prepared for the job market you might search for a while. I know people who made first class and got ovearseas scholarships and jobs immediately they finished school and I also know first class graduands who are still job searching.
I got admission to study my course of study on the merit list because I had a very good WAEC result and my jamb score was 206. My second jamb score was 235 which gave me admission to study pet. eng which I declined because I was already well into first year for Chem. Eng. As a result of hard work I managed to secure 2 scholarships as an undergrad. I finished with a strong 2.1 (4.29/5), served with a bank and was offered a job so I was'nt in the job market. I then tried to go abroad (wetin engineer dey do for bank) and got declined the first time. I saved for two years, tried again and here I am. I started applying for jobs from day 1 of starting my Msc course ovearseas - my motivation was to make a first class and get two job offers by the time I graduated. I started a job a week before I graduated and attended a number of interviews - I was relentless. I have changed jobs twice overseas (about to change job again) and I have never been in the job market.
I am still relentless because the ultimate working life is to run your own business. In the main time, I am taking steps to get there. I firmly believe in God's favour but He will only help those who work hard. I'm happy to mentor younger folk; ochescoolbox@yahoo.com
A number of genuine folks have gotten back to me. Keep it coming. Happy to help.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Chigorkizz(m): 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2014
Olutola88: I've sent u a mail. I've given information to as many people that contacted me. I'm still willing to assist as many as possible as this might be my only opportunity to contribute in a little way to your success. A pm will do
still a serving corp member.i need ur assistance in terms of writing gud cv and also job links.my email is chigorkizz@gmail.com.waiting for ur help.Tanks.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by dada01(m): 3:44pm On Sep 16, 2014
Olutola88: lmao. she was the one that needed information from me and I told her that I've sent her a mail and she should remove address to avoid getting mails from all those scammers. kindly find facts before making judgements.

Are u d ops of d topics. Ehen ehen.
Noted
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mechanics(m): 7:15pm On Sep 16, 2014
kaboninc:

Oga, I never said you said so. I gave an illustration. Am not twisting or getting your statement twisted
k, d illustration u gave did nt tally wit wat i said initialy, cos i didnt even ask of ur grade.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by xmillion: 10:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
the only thing in life is that whatever you do in life,make sure you do it diligently with all your heart
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ayesco202(m): 11:18pm On Sep 16, 2014
Pls can sum1 tell me whıch grade ıs faıl and whıch ıs pass, rangıng from A - E. Tanks as u reply.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ollapaul(m): 7:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
You okay?

I've been looking for someone to HUMBLE with KOBOKO. Don't tell me its you. #JuskJokes grin grin grin
If Nestle is the best, Nigeria is doomed![/quote]
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Contumely: 6:11pm On Sep 24, 2014
Chrixtopha: well said 2.1 is a criteria for success after graduation but how is your lecturers treating u, go to a federal University or state higher institution and see whether making 2.1 or first class is easy...am a living witness, fighting very hard to fit in but after each semester u find out that it's obvious that after giving those that paid for Az , A.....others should go to hell with Bs and Cs....... I know what am passing through so don't say what u do not know after graduating from a private University where high school fees buys d certificate... only God knows the best..
you are talking nonsense. You mean people that make A's sort to get it. Lecturers don't even usually give students that sort an A, neither do departments give mediocre students s 1st class.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Contumely: 6:52pm On Sep 24, 2014
mykelon: STRONG 2.1! What d hell is a "strong 2.1"? U don't hear a 1st class saying he/she had a strong 1st class. A saying goes what is what doing is what doing well people. Saying u had a strong 2.1 is just a compensation for not getting that 1st class. Yes I also finished with d same stronger 2.1 even stronger 2.1 from OAU. Set out ur goal b4 getting into d university & u ll make it by God's grace. "Strong 2.1" I laugh!!! Bless u
No a degree can be strong or weak. If you make a certain 2.2 Cgpa, you cannot do your masters without PGD, simply because you made a weak 2.2. So a person that made a 4.46 or so might put it in cv , it might give him an edge over 3 pointer 2.1s.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Best / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle / Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.