Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (69066 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 7:03am On Sep 12, 2014
tonychristopher:

Everybody Must Not Be An Employee..People Should Think Of Adding Value To Their Lives...That Money Used To Get A Masters Can Be Used For Business As TheBusiness Grows You Can Then Do Your Masters At Havard...My Dear Most Firms Are Not Interested In Certificates But Competency

U re just typing for d sake of it. Which firm is interested in competency nd not certificate? Is it not ur certificate/qualification that will make these firms give u a chance to show ur competency. U need to be qualified for a job (certificate) before u'll be given a chance to prove yourself (competency), they go hand-in-hard.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 7:14am On Sep 12, 2014
donroxy: You people are full of Bullcraps and I distate such hugely !!

Not everybody have acumen of enterprenuership, it is a rare gift , you people should know this and not everybody can become a CEO and not everybody can just rake money and put it on business when you don't have managerial skills ... Even despite your informed knowledge and superb management skills , external influences beyond your control can still run you down e.g govt policies !!

No amout of money invested on skills/knowledge acquisition is a waste but when you invest money on business and you failed, that is a waste .... You have to start all over again if you have such energy , drive and will !!

I will always be a working class cum BusinessMan ..... I will never make the mistake in my life of doing business without white collarJob !!

Money for my PhD will never be put on buying and selling lailai ....... When My head no dey touch !

I'm adequately trained in Enterprenuership and Businesses t and it is an avenue for rare people not all people !!

If you know what you are doing , you will succeed faster with M.sc than Business !

Also, we have to respect choice of endeavour .... Some people want to serve while some wanted to be served ... We have to respect both since each is contributing immensely to the economy !!
u have spoken my mind bros. d way they emphasise on entrepreneurship is baffling, they make it seem like its a piece of cake. Entrepreneurial skill is a talent (in as much as one can also learn it in d class room) they re blessed by nature with a natural acumen to continually innovate their businesses. People do business nd fail but they make it seem like everyone who eventually ventures into business will automatically bcome successful.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cocoduck: 7:21am On Sep 12, 2014
mack111: i'm sure that amount is not constant. Maybe some month u'll get 50k or less, that's business for u. Come to think of it, do u sew for celebrities? Don't u pay for d space u re using, that u still make 150k monthly. I believe u earn sth that keeps u going like footing ur necessary bills, but certain not up to that amount. 150k for fashion designing as if u re a celebrity designer.
That is exactly what you people have been programmed to think. Self employment is about diligence and skills, if he is very dilligent and skilled that is to say delivering the finished products on time, and making almost no mistake and not engaging in mago mago to cheat his clients they will keep on recommending their friends, family and acquaintances to him, very soon he will even become overwhelmed with the number of projects on his lap. I know certain tailors that only make clothes for rich people and they are always always busy, why do you think that tailors are among the best liars? they do not have time. My tutor of automotive electricals and electronics repair and maintenance does not touch small cars. he only repairs and maintain luxury cars. he did not attend any university, but if you see the way these rich men and women treat him, one even went on her knees begging him to fix her car because the line was very long. So forget that thing you are saying. it is the wrong perception. That is what you think.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ola9ja(m): 7:22am On Sep 12, 2014
Goodmorning, its pretty good to be serious and hardworking in school, but know this also, A 1st class and a 2.1 person are always relax because they already had good grade, they believe they will get a job, but a person with a 2.2 and third class know that they rarely get advert to be employed, so they improvise and become better most of which becomes an employer of labour, lastly a person with a pass knows that he his unemployable, so they strive to employ others, in words of a person that had a pass ''school may have given me a pass but life will never do thesame to me'' Learn from this! Dropouts in america do better than people with 1st class, dont rely on employment alone, work hard to be an employer of labour, thank you.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaboninc(m): 7:24am On Sep 12, 2014
IRRESPONSIBLE:
We don't owe this shitty country anything... Stop regurgitating Western axioms

Do you owe yourself a duty?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cocoduck: 7:31am On Sep 12, 2014
mack111: u have spoken my mind bros. d way they emphasise on entrepreneurship is baffling, they make it seem like its a piece of cake. Entrepreneurial skill is a talent (in as much as one can also learn it in d class room) they re blessed by nature with a natural acumen to continually innovate their businesses. People do business nd fail but they make it seem like everyone who eventually ventures into business will automatically bcome successful.
What you don't know is greater than you are. entrepreneurship is never a talent. Is the ability to walk a talent? it is inbornin every human on earth. Even lunatics have it in them, the only thing that is not common is common sense. Google hi tv and compare him to innoson and you will understand what I mean. eschew this slave mentality for God's sake. The Indians and south Africans troop to Nigeria daily to milk us dry all you people do is jump from office to office and disturb the peace. So apply common sense and humility when starting a business, okay.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 12, 2014
I have been recently admitted into UNILORIN to study Sociology....By God's grace and Hardwork I would love to graduate with at least 2.1 but I heard there are sadist lecturers in the department....considering the aforementioned, I think the lecturer factor should be a prerequisite for a successful GP..
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Rhemmymatician(m): 7:53am On Sep 12, 2014
ObiChiz08: My 1st year, i'd CGPA of 2.55 lipsrsealed which is relatively low. 2nd year, my CPGA was 4.02. Can i graduate wt a strong second class upper if i put in more effort? Thanks!
Well if you a very intelligent person you won't need to come online to ask this question when you can do the simple maths yourself

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 7:55am On Sep 12, 2014
bestjob: What the op(olutola88) said is the rule. You can follow the rule or create an exemption. The choice is yours. However, the best you can be is to be in the middle class. My people dont forget there are things that sell more ... singing, football, acting, 'comedying' buying and selling ... Discover your KPI and flow into it.

A 2.2 frm gtr Ife working for multinational .... thinking of floating my own coy.....

I love dat bro. Please try everytn in ur capacity to mke ur company d best. You'll never regret it
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 8:06am On Sep 12, 2014
Exclusive900: I have been recently admitted into UNILORIN to study Sociology....By God's grace and Hardwork I would love to graduate with at least 2.1 but I heard there are sadist lecturers in the department....considering the aforementioned, I think the lecturer factor should be a prerequisite for a successful GP..
Don't Let anyone discourage you o! That's how they always do. They've misled a lot of us in the past. I know people that finished with 2.1 from Sociology( Unilorin ). So, go for Gold! You can even make a 1st class. Did you read the piece of advice I gave to fresh intakes like you?

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tonychristopher: 8:13am On Sep 12, 2014
IRRESPONSIBLE:
But its an apt description... SHITTY COUNTRY!
Really? The USA and Nigeria? High hopes much, mate. What does an average graduate out there owe this country? Please tell us

Do You Know Why Igbos Are Special Breed...They Don't Have This High Dependency On Government And If You See An Igbo Man Working In OrganizationBehind The Back Of His Mind Is To Pave Way For Others..He Will Always Think Of Floating His Own

Stop This Government This Or That...Did These Private Firms You Apply To On Daily Basis Wait On Government Before Establishing

Stop Thinking petty
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tonychristopher: 8:19am On Sep 12, 2014
cocoduck:
What you don't know is greater than you are. entrepreneurship is never a talent. Is the ability to walk a talent? it is inbornin every human on earth. Even lunatics have it in them, the only thing that is not common is common sense. Google hi tv and compare him to innoson and you will understand what I mean. eschew this slave mentality for God's sake. The Indians and south Africans troop to Nigeria daily to milk us dry all you people do is jump from office to office and disturb the peace. So apply common sense and humility when starting a business, okay.

That Is The Problem I Have With These Puerile People They Are Averse To Risk And They Will Want To Be An Employee.What Is Called A Wage Slave Is Somebody That Earn Salary

Yes You Can Start Working For People Then GRt Experience Then Float Your Own.

I Am Scared Of Carrying CV At 40 ...The Best Job Security Is Self Employment Do A SWOT Analysis Of Yourself And Know What You Want To Do
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Mcslize: 8:27am On Sep 12, 2014
[s]
willibounce1: Mumu people talking 2.1 & 1st class rubbi...sh. with all the 2.1 and 1st class graduates we have in this country, we can hardly do anything on our own without the help of white men. The KPMG this small boy keeps shouting here is a foreign audit firm.

Roads, we can't construct
Bridges we cant
Drainage, we can't
High rise buildings, we can't
Even ordinary farming, white man must be involved.
Go to all the telecoms company, u see Indians and Chinese running things d most.

Even dangote na Indians be top management staff.

With all ur phucking 2.1 & 1st class you can't do jack than to run after foreign companies for jobs.

The roads being constructed by Chinese ppl, ask them how many 2.1 graduates they have.

Very annoying set of ppl always chasing certificates instead of skills. Ur eyes go soon clear. Be feeling like a champion while some mu..mu ontondos keep deceiving you with ur write up. Reality will soon dawn on u. Shebi na only you go 1st get 2.1 abi? Ur own na even strong 2.1. I dey laff
[/s]

Easy bro
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Mcslize: 8:32am On Sep 12, 2014
[s]
DeeChukwu: Op you funny. So if space is meant for only 20 people or lets say 20 1st class n 21ns and about 1000 1st class and 21ns also wants to occupy that same position and you think is a success then you should have a rethink.[/s] Though it opens door for the lucky 1st class n 21ns but looking at at situation in Nigeria from all angle today I think you rather encourage people to be selp employed rather than jubilation over a false reality.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Mcslize: 8:36am On Sep 12, 2014
muzeze77: Thats true article, I don't believe in Man know man, that you have to have a connection to get a job, i finished from a federal University with a 2:1 actually i was lucky my GPA was 3.51 on the dot, despite that their was no party that i did not attend during my time in school but during my NYSC i got two job offers and i actually started working for an International firm during my NYSC (I just had to settle my NYSC folks to avoid coming in on Friday to do that NYSC stuff). then i got admission for school in the US and I have been here for over 13 years and i have worked for firms such as IBM, Dell all with my Nigerian 2:1 Degree

exactly. People believe man must know man before man must wack in this Nigeria. We shre the same ideas.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:51am On Sep 12, 2014
kaka22: @op... Well done, you are on point. To make at least 2.1 is not everything, it is the only thing. The issue of connection is over-exaggerated in Nigeria. Yes, we have issues like nepotism,favouritism and connections(who you know) but that doesn't mean that there are no companies that recruit based on merit. MOST people who come out to say that 'what you have in school will not determine where and who you will be in future' are the unfortunate and the unlucky. What you have in school will surely determine who and where you will be in future. If you later establish your company/business you can be rest assured that you still have your 2.1 or first class pali(certificate) to search for work when the need arises.Yes, we have some 2.2 and third class fellows that are making it but that doesn't mean that 2.1 fellows are also not making it. I make bold to say that the percentage of 2.2 and third class jobless fellows is more than that of 2.1 and first class. Even if you won't use your 2.1 to work, still make sure you have it because you never know...

Advice for undergraduates
Avoid anybody that discourages you from graduating with 2.1 or first class. Such individual doesn't wish you well. One of the laws in 48 laws of power says that avoid the unlucky and the unfortunate.

Last bullet: Yes, 2.1 or first class is not everything but make sure you have it before saying that nonsense... grin

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

I cannot stand when people come out to say oh your grade doesn't determine your success! Yes it doesn't but trust me it gives you an advantage over others! I got a job a month before I finished service, I get invited to interviews like crazy, that I have to start turning some down!

I'm planing on doing my masters next year and the schools I'm interested in, said I''m qualified for a scholarship because of my grades! So for undergraduates who have the opportunity to get it right, do not allow anyone tell you good grades do not matter because they do! So work hard! Get those good grades and do not stop trying to improve yourself!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kumpharm(f): 8:57am On Sep 12, 2014
Olutola88: I'm really exhilarated for this young man. He is very lucky and privileged to get this information at this critical time of his career. He is just about to get into the University.
Here is my piece of advice for him and anyone in this category:

1. Understand that you need GOD in all your endeavours

2. Set a goal for yourself as you are entering the school( preferably a First Class)

3. Make sure you complete Registration and other necessary things as early as possible.

4. Try as much as you can to secure accommodation on campus( at least for year one). For those of you that cannot cope living with up to 3 or 7 other people in a room, get a decent apartment somewhere not too far from the campus

5. Start receiving lectures and make sure you don't miss lectures

6. Visit your department and look for the best students in 200L, 300L and 400L or even 500L. Tell them you are a fresher and that it's conspicuous you know nothing and you'll want them to be your mentor. You can have up to 4 mentors( e no dey too many)

If you are a lady, it's possible some of them( guys) will want you to date them. Just make sure you are diplomatic in telling them NO but if you think you are mature enough to handle a relationship you can say YES to the one you like. Nevertheless, I wouldn't advise you to start having a boyfriend in your first year. Remember the daughter of whom you are *lol*.

Now the stage is set. You now have the best students as friends/mentors.

7. Make sure you see at least one of them daily and show him or her your lecture notes. Let him check and tell you whether syllabus has changed or it's same. The best student in 200L might be very useful to you as there will be little or no difference between what he was taught and what you'll be doing.

8. You can tell him or her to tell you when he or she reads. You can also tell him that you'll like to go to class with him to read at night and during the weekend. With this, you will be getting personal tutorials from him, getting past questions from him and you'll be on top of the world

9. You can ask him for past notes and possibly read ahead of the class.

10. When exams are approaching, make sure he explains every little thing you don't understand to you about 4 weeks to exams. And when it's about 2 weeks to exam, practice 3 to 4 years past questions.

By the time you do all these, you'll definitely finish with nothing less than a 4.7 out of 5.0. CONGRATULATIONS young scholar! That's a 1st class and that's a good foundation. You are now in 200L. You now understand the school and how everything operates very well. You are mature enough to stand on your own but I'll advise you still work with that your mentor.

Now, you can turn your 4.7 GP into hundreds of thousands even before leaving the university! Did I hear you say how?( Your ears don open wen u hear money) Lol!
The secret is Scholarships. We have a number of good companies that give merit undergraduate scholarships to high-performing students. You can rake in as much as 400 thousand naira per annum till you graduate. Close your mouth! 400K is small money.

All you need do is to subscribe to one of these websites that give updates on undergraduate scholarships in Nigeria. Apply when the application is out, go for their aptitude tests, pass it and start collecting your cool cash even as a student.
Companies like MTN will give you two hundred thousand naira ( N200,000 ) per annum, Shell will give you around 100K, Chevron around 90K, Exxonmobil around 100K amongst others.

Unfortunately, I didn't get this kind of information when I was like you but thanks to my dad he told me that he saw one scholarship advert in the newspaper and that I should apply( Then, I was already in 300L). The requirement was a minimum of 2.1, I applied and was short listed for the test. I took the test and passed. I was on a scholarship of 100K per annum till the end of my course.

I know you will want to ask me how one can make up to 400K per year. It's simple, apply for as many as possible scholarships. After I got my scholarship, I met about 5 guys that were benefiting from 3 different scholarships each.

I'm already tired of typing, so I have to go. But before I go, I'll like to let you know that as much as you are reading like your life depends on it, also make sure you try and engage yourself in other activities like sports, social activities, politics if possible, make a lot of friends, attend departmental and faculty dinners, develop your leadership skills, develop your communication skills( both speaking and writing) as all these will be required life after school. Don't make yourself someone that knows book alone, that thing sucks I tell you.

I took part in almost all reasonable activities when I was in school; I was academically sound( tho, I didn't finish with a 1st class cos I wasn't hard working), I took part in sports, politics, I was a Master of Ceremonies, A Radio Presenter, A writer etc and all these didn't say I shouldn't face my studies. I was referred to as the “COMPLETE STUDENT”. It's about knowing God, knowing what you want and managing your time well. I have to go now. Bye!

i love this ...thanks for the advice

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Appswheel(m): 9:02am On Sep 12, 2014
What type of grade do you want to graduate with?

1st class honours?
2nd class (upper division)?
2nd class (lower division)?
3rd class?
Pass?

If you have 1st class or 2nd class (upper division) in mind, know that you cannot settle for scores below 60. A credit in all your courses will only land you in 2nd class lower division. Go for A’s and B’s; avoid the C’s as much as you can, make on room for D’s on your report sheets, Erase E’s and place a ban on F’s.

There is a Yoruba adage that says, “A child who is good at asking questions will never lose his way”. Asking important questions is paramount to success. Ensure to interact with others who have passed through the level you are on the important things you ought to know.

Having the lecture time table for the semester is also essential. This is used in mapping out how to engage your free periods and to accustom yourself to the lecture venues and time.

AFTER GOAL SETTING AND PLANNING – WHAT NEXT?

ACTION AND EVALUATION.

After goal setting and planning, the necessary line of action spelt out in the plan must be executed. Also, it is important to review (evaluate) our goals regularly. This helps us to measure our progress. To see how many goals we have been able to achieve. To know what lapses there are with the aim of effecting change where it is required. It also helps us to consolidate on our strengths.

When a soup is being prepared, the cook tastes the soup to see it if tastes just right. Evaluation should be an ongoing process. “Too often, people think that evaluation should come only at the need of something. But, an evaluation at the end only helps one to plan for the future it comes too late to help you change if it’s done at the last hour” (Navamaga). Therefore, self-evaluation needs to be carried out as regularly as possible.

I INVITE YOU TO READ MORE ON , I BET YOU, YOU'LL BE FIRED UP AND YOUR GRADES WILL BE BETTER
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by emrycan23: 9:21am On Sep 12, 2014
my name ix professor labanba,futa student,my first class na sure tin 100%,i ve d technic to get job if am in ur position,if i tell u d technic u will hate me,(1) most of u shud recall when u were in skul,the technic ix to go to d world and preach the word to d people,b4 dat fast and pray 4 30days,after dat visit a pastor,dat ix all my frnd,sorry 4 my saying,wich u all d best in life
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Sep 12, 2014
ThoniaSlim:

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

I cannot stand when people come out to say oh your grade doesn't determine your success! Yes it doesn't but trust me it gives you an advantage over others! I got a job a month before I finished service, I get invited to interviews like crazy, that I have to start turning some down!

I'm planing on doing my masters next year and the schools I'm interested in, said I''m qualified for a scholarship because of my grades! So for undergraduates who have the opportunity to get it right, do not allow anyone tell you good grades do not matter because they do! So work hard! Get those good grades and do not stop trying to improve yourself!

[b]Good Grades are always always always important.. Especially when properly earned..

However: Grades dont always translate into brains and poor grades dont always mean the holder is academically deficient. I know a candidate who met one of the partners of one of Nigerias largest (in terms of business) Law Firms and she had a third class degree from a U.K University. Now because the Man had promised to look into her matter, he said; 'I simply asked she be tested by our H.R department so she could fail and get off my back'.. Long story short, she aced the test and obtained the second highest mark in the history of the firm. The Man said he was shocked and the other senior partners were also shocked as her degree didnt match her performance on the test so they all had to sit in on her interview just incase she somehow had obtained the questions to the test.. She not only aced the interview but was recruited and placed on the firms most difficult case at that time; Brass LNG Project.. Needless to say, having that Firm listed on her C.V and the jobs she worked on made that grade very inconsequential as she has gone on now to work for one of the Nations biggest IOC's and now sits in on meetings with the firm that first recruited her in the capacity of counsel for their client or counsel for the other party..

I have sat in on many tests and seen even 1st class degree holders struggle..

Another thing is; Quality of Education also matters, a 1st class degree from a 'D-Grade' university is as good as a 2.2 degree from an 'A-Grade' University.. grin

Like I said earlier: The one major advantage of a good degree grade is to get you into the door.. Meaning to get you invited for many many many tests.. This is because many companies would not even give a 3rd class degree holder or a second class lower degree holder a chance to even write the test.. But I can bet my bottom dollar that if the doors are open to all classes of degree holders to compete on an employment test; The results will most certainly be shocking..

So please everyone should ALWAYS STRIVE TO MAKE GOOD GRADES or be ready to face a very very difficult path to securing a job upon graduation.. [/b]

8 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ishilove: 9:42am On Sep 12, 2014
Okijajuju1:

[b]Good Grades are always always always important.. Especially when properly earned..

However: Grades dont always translate into brains and poor grades dont always mean the holder is academically deficient. I know a candidate who met one of the partners of one of Nigerias largest (in terms of business) Law Firms and she had a third class degree from a U.K University. Now because the Man had promised to look into her matter, he said; 'I simply asked she be tested by our H.R department so she could fail and get off my back'.. Long story short, she aced the test and obtained the second highest mark in the history of the firm. The Man said he was shocked and the other senior partners were also shocked as her degree didnt match her performance on the test so they all had to sit in on her interview just incase she somehow had obtained the questions to the test.. She not only aced the interview but was recruited and placed on the firms most difficult case at that time; Brass LNG Project.. Needless to say, having that Firm listed on her C.V and the jobs she worked on made that grade very inconsequential as she has gone on now to work for one of the Nations biggest IOC's and now sits in on meetings with the firm that first recruited her in the capacity of counsel for their client or counsel for the other party..

I have sat in on many tests and seen even 1st class degree holders struggle..

Another thing is; Quality of Education also matters, a 1st class degree from a 'D-Grade' university is as good as a 2.2 degree from an 'A-Grade' University.. grin

Like I said earlier: The one major advantage of a good degree grade is to get you into the door.. Meaning to get you invited for many many many tests.. This is because many companies would not even give a 3rd class degree holder or a second class lower degree holder a chance to even write the test.. But I can bet my bottom dollar that if the doors are open to all classes of degree holders to compete on an employment test; The results will most certainly be shocking..

So please everyone should ALWAYS STRIVE TO MAKE GOOD GRADES or be ready to face a very very difficult path to securing a job upon graduation.. [/b]
Hmmm...Okija, I dey suspect you... E be like sey na 3rd class you get for school... undecided
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 12, 2014
one thing you should be thankful for is that you have someone to send you through school, someone who ministered into your needs that was why you were able to concentrate & earn a good grade, the same can't be said of someone who financed himself, who has to take some time off to hustle and come back preparing for exam I wouldn't blame that kind of person if he or she made a 2.2 ,I had a friend back in university who made a 3.10 despite leaving school for some large part of the semester, he will come back a month before exam to compile all the notes and handouts we've been given, imagine if that kind of person had a sponsor and stay back at school like others did, he would have made a good grade.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaka22(m): 10:15am On Sep 12, 2014
ThoniaSlim:

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Amen... I've discovered that MOST people that go around talking about how what one made in school won't affect one's future are those that didn't make 1st class or 2.1. They always try to pass their defeatist mentality to those that made good grades so that they can be at the same level. It is not everyone that will be entrepreneurs and it is not everyone that will be employees but those that made good grades through God's grace and their efforts(not through bribing lecturers) have upper hand in seeking employment and getting scholarships to further their studies.

I wish you best of God in getting that scholarship.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:20am On Sep 12, 2014
kaka22:
Amen... I've discovered that MOST people that go around talking about how what one made in school won't affect one's future are those that didn't make 1st class or 2.1. They always try to pass their defeatist mentality to those that made good grades so that they can be at the same level. It is not everyone that will be entrepreneurs and it is not everyone that will be employees but those that made good grades through God's grace and their efforts(not through bribing lecturers) have upper hand in seeking employment and getting scholarships to further their studies.

I wish you best of God in getting that scholarship.

Thank you.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by smudge2079(m): 10:27am On Sep 12, 2014
"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught"

Que sera sera!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 12, 2014
cocoduck:
You are not fit to even be in business with your very poor mindset ..... Your certificate is a useless one that is if you have one anyway !!

Let me lecture you duck :

Everything in life is business :

Business implies exchanging values between people even extra-human !

Your relationship with God is business ... Do Good get rewarded with heaven and Do Bad take hell !

Your relationship with wife and children and all member of your family is business !

Infact your relationship with your body is business because you have to give it food,water among others for it to carry out your brain's instruction !

Bill Gate was a failure in Academics because he doesn't have passion for school but software thus all what the lecturers where saying he wasn't paying attention but excelled in Software creation so was Mark and SteveJob ......... Today, look @ where they are !! .... Look @ what Seun Osewa has done with Nairaland , only God knows the number of people trying to outsmart Seun but no , they failed .... Where seun lack expertise , he called in people who have such !!

If the Federal Government should call upon you cocoduck , a business man to supply whatever you are selling to a particular location but Federal Government must interview you through bidding and so on before granting you such contract........So, somebody like you who cannot defend your useless certificate , how will you defend your business to obtain contract ?

If you can't defend you useless certificate then how can you defend your business to obtain sales from customers ?

Or you think Dangote is doing Palangolo you are doing ? cheesy .....

The essence of School (SSCE, B.Sc, M.sc,PhD ,Coren ICAN, etc) is not Job ....

The primary reason for Education is KNOWLEDGE and the knowledge you acquired is what you will use to do Business !!

The problem with majority of graduates is how to use what they acquired in terms of skills/knowledge to providing solution to corporate problems ..... That is why people like Jarus, etc on nairaland always come on board to inform graduates on how to do ''business'' with their certificate ......

You solve problem for a company with your engineering knowledge and get paid while you always make yourself to be relevant to your market/industry infact you can diversify by poking eye into Other people's industry e.g with ICAN an engineer can become an Accountant !!!

It is all about passion .... I would rather spend Ten million Naira on London Business School to acquire MBA and other pali than using it for any palangolo business .......

With LBS certificate , I will make 10m back within a year after graduation while you are still watching your business to yield 1million naira after a year !!

Watch your strength, weaknesses, Opportunities , threats , love,passion etc before you chose an endeavour .....

Don't just do things because people are doing it !
Nonsense businessman !!!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kpawoosay: 10:52am On Sep 12, 2014
See guys. For the fact that few out of many makes it through their merits doesn't mean that majority doesn't sticks with long legs. I"m a graduate of second class upper. yes, I was among the the people that struggle to make 3.6 but that has not giving me a credible job in Nigeria. I started applying when I was serving my country but to no avail. See pals. I believe in majority counts and as a political scientist, I believe that 3/10 against 7/10 is no go area for the formal. Even one priest confronted me and said that you have to know somebody because BEFORE U MAKE HEAVEN, U MUST KNOW CHRIST HIMSELF. Any QUESTIONS?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by oncheckent: 11:20am On Sep 12, 2014
Op nice piece. You write pretty well. Have you ever wondered if completing the university, graduating with a first class and getting that great job is the perfect step? I know that with a little hard work graduating with a 4.6 gp is not difficult but is that it?
I studied law, graduated with a 2.5, refused to go to law school and NYSC but I got a job with a law firm two weeks searching. I stayed there for a while, switched jobs and although am presently not employed I know I can get a job anytime I feel like it. Yeah they would not be multi nationals, oil firms or the heavy players in the financial sector but there is something they give me that I will never get working with the big boys, INITIATIVE.
I ask my friends about their jobs and what I have found out is that almost everything done is monotonous. Take the guy working in a bank, he can't give a loan no matter how realistic a proposal is except it meets a standard. The guys in the stock brocking firms can't take a leap except the bosses scrutinize and approve it.
What am saying this, what's wrong with getting that great grade have a number of certificates and fellowships here and there but instead of working or going into business try out something creative, outside the norm. Society has dictated to us that having the job, putting a little aside, getting that car, building that house, and retiring with that handsome balance in mutual funds is the ideal pattern. I refuse totally to be compliant, I refuse to be just another guy. We are not original even in our innovations, we say its 'something new' but the idea is an embellishment of something seen or heard somewhere. We talk about opportunities abounding but we still find shelter in the established wood work. We attend schools that teach us little or nothing that would be useful, we slave at jobs that gives little opportunity to be creative, we just go through without making that impact we dreamed about when we were children.
My elder brother is a first class accounting graduate, overall best in his ACCA finals, has numerous fellowships to his name, has this wonderful job but yet lacking in one area, knowledge of the world outside his sphere. When I look at him I tell myself, no child of mine will ever be like him.
I have a friend who does not have a degree but is well sought after by telecommunication companies on a scale that's mad. Erricson offered him a starting salary of 450 that would be reviewed after three months knowing his academic deficiency and he refused. My immediate elder brother has a first class in something that has to do with maths a masters to booth but do you what he does for a living? Public relations!!!
I want to see the youths refusing to allow themselves follow foolhardly societies precepts. Put your brain to better use, see and do things differently and know that destiny is not prescribed but handwritten.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 12, 2014
Olutola88: This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.
pls sd me a mail
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by IRRESPONSIBLE(m): 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2014
kaboninc:

Do you owe yourself a duty?
You're just being rhetorical here right?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cocoduck: 12:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
donroxy: You are not fit to even be in business with your very poor mindset ..... Your certificate is a useless one that is if you have one anyway !!

Let me lecture you duck :

Everything in life is business :

Business implies exchanging values between people even extra-human !

Your relationship with God is business ... Do Good get rewarded with heaven and Do Bad take hell !

Your relationship with wife and children and all member of your family is business !

Infact your relationship with your body is business because you have to give it food,water among others for it to carry out your brain's instruction !

Bill Gate was a failure in Academics because he doesn't have passion for school but software thus all what the lecturers where saying he wasn't paying attention but excelled in Software creation so was Mark and SteveJob ......... Today, look @ where they are !! .... Look @ what Seun Osewa has done with Nairaland , only God knows the number of people trying to outsmart Seun but no , they failed .... Where seun lack expertise , he called in people who have such !!

If the Federal Government should call upon you cocoduck , a business man to supply whatever you are selling to a particular location but Federal Government must interview you through bidding and so on before granting you such contract........So, somebody like you who cannot defend your useless certificate , how will you defend your business to obtain contract ?

If you can't defend you useless certificate then how can you defend your business to obtain sales from customers ?

Or you think Dangote is doing Palangolo you are doing ? cheesy .....

The essence of School (SSCE, B.Sc, M.sc,PhD ,Coren ICAN, etc) is not Job ....

The primary reason for Education is KNOWLEDGE and the knowledge you acquired is what you will use to do Business !!

The problem with majority of graduates is how to use what they acquired in terms of skills/knowledge to providing solution to corporate problems ..... That is why people like Jarus, etc on nairaland always come on board to inform graduates on how to do ''business'' with their certificate ......

You solve problem for a company with your engineering knowledge and get paid while you always make yourself to be relevant to your market/industry infact you can diversify by poking eye into Other people's industry e.g with ICAN an engineer can become an Accountant !!!

It is all about passion .... I would rather spend Ten million Naira on London Business School to acquire MBA and other pali than using it for any palangolo business .......

With LBS certificate , I will make 10m back within a year after graduation while you are still watching your business to yield 1million naira after a year !!

Watch your strength, weaknesses, Opportunities , threats , love,passion etc before you chose an endeavour .....

Don't just do things because people are doing it !
Nonsense businessman !!!
You are a fool for making such a statement, I am a christian, Lazy ;minded people like you think that business is hard like impossible
FYI it is not, but is is equally not easy because nothing good in life come easy. what you really needs in life is BASIC EDUCATION, it is not gotten in the four walls of your UNI. In 2008 VOA during the credit crunch that 75% of jobs in the US is from small businesses, so that is the real benchmark of knowing when the economy of a country is growing or in recession, because it contributes to the HDI, GDP does not really tell the story. common sense they say is not common, any ways good luck jumping from office to office like a monkey searching for non existing jobs, since you don't want to build yours but want the ones built by others. please google IKEA.

look at the so called engineers we have in Nigeria, up till now we are still battling with poor power supply. what then is the use of these zombies?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

7 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Buildings / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! / Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.