Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68920 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by MadCow1: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2014
The only advantage of making a 2.1 on your degree is to get you through the door..

#But I have seen 3rd class and 2.2 degree holders blow higher class degree holders to smitherines on tests and interviews.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2014
having 2.1 from d board exam is possible but rare.its a college of health though,but dont underestimate
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Austindark(m): 12:00pm On Sep 11, 2014
pls I will need ur job opening updates. I made 2.1 too but no job yet. am through with NYSC.

sent u a pm
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
justi4jesu: All these are storiessssss for the godsss..

Just Know your way in Life and keep your head down and you will make it.

In Dubai nobody differentiates 1st class from Third class, all they want to know "Are you a graduate" If yes then case closed

Defend at the interview that you are a graduate and submit your attested certificates and Viola u don start work the next day grin.

bro, I didn't write this piece for people in Dubai, it's for Nigerians living in Nigeria. lmao

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
.........“I have nothing against education. But at times, education gives people false
confidence. It makes people relax, trusting in the power of their certificates rather than
in working hard.” – Rasaq Okoya

5 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by femi4: 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
Your 2.1 is a waste if you are above 27

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mamabear1(f): 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: kindly send a pm

@Op I'm interested also...graduated wiv a 2:1 also serving presently, I cud use some link 4 job offers... My email address sparklyazrah@gmail.com
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by luvola(m): 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.
bros forget this assertion , I know several peeps that graduated with 2.2 and has gotten job and I and several people that I know that bagged 2.1 are yet to secure a job. A 3rd class can even secure a job before a 2.1 . I pray the lord answer us soon.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Lightening: 12:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
afolayanto: And what about 1st class working for someone that finished with a pass? Idea sells more than what you finished with! In all thy gettings......Get ideas and be a solution to your generation's problem! That's what we should all craved for and not 2.1. You most likely lose direction when you finished with 1st class in school, it gets into your head easily and you may easily lose focus! To me idea is what's needed in this country.

Your reasoning is ridiculous. If you are still an undergraduate, pls follow @Olutola88's instruction religiously. That's antidote to hardlife. Talking from experience.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Rilwayne001: 12:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
Very beautiful piece.

@OP...Thumbs Up
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by justi4jesu(f): 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
Suxes: wich one b strong 2-1 wey op just dey mention sef? abeg 2-1 na 2-1

lmao...thats what they keep saying in school oh dont mind Nigerians, everything they want to make drama out of it. lol @ Strong 2.1 and Soft 2.1 grin
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Bsc(m): 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
The man who knows how, gets the job, The man who knows why, be's d boss.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by uzoexcel(m): 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
i think the op's case scenario sample was/is in naija.....and not the emirates
justi4jesu: All these are storiessssss for the godsss..

Just Know your way in Life and keep your head down and you will make it.

In Dubai nobody differentiates 1st class from Third class, all they want to know "Are you a graduate" If yes then case closed

Defend at the interview that you are a graduate and submit your attested certificates and Viola u don start work the next day grin.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by justi4jesu(f): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
uzoexcel: i think the op's case scenario sample was/is in naija.....and not the emirates

I understood it 100% and also not everyone ends up working in Naija after graduation, All these 1st class,strong 2.1 thingy are experienced only in our Country Nigeria.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by amanze15(m): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
cry na true you talk, on the last page of a shell application,even with enough experience them tell me thank U, now I applying in a french country cos I speak basic french, my brother even na 3rd class u get find something others don't have and u would be amazed...great write up poster!!!... Its really cold outside the walls of university

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Acidosis(m): 12:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
Unless the government stops the excess and unecessary funding to public tertiary institutions; 2-1 would soon be of no value.

The number of graduates is simply TOOOOO much. The number of graduates out-weighs the job openings in town.

Before you start grinning over some 2-1 in Nigeria, remember others are out there in a better country studying to get the same good job you're struggling for.

While it is good to tell ALL graduates to get 1st class and 2-1 grades; remember to inform your Local Government Chairmen, your governors and your parents to create jobs; so you don't end up in frustration.

There is nothing special about a graduate or a 2-2 or 2-1 graduate anymore. We are no longer in the '80s. Those who love competition, gamble and luck should keep trying. God might remember y'all someday.

In summary, graduates and their grades aren't the problem; your government is. Stop f00ling the people! Stop giving your elected thieves more reasons to siphon your funds while they bless you with undue and id.iotic competitions. There is nothing corporate about receiving 100,000 resumes from graduates because of 50 teller jobs. It is sheer stu.pidit.y. Even the executives know this fact.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
people striving very hard to give us high bp since 700bc. even with just only succeeding to present a university school fees receipt, we go make am.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by AriDsexy(f): 12:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
If U don't av connection in Nigeria,its very difficult getting a job even if u came out with a "zero class"
One also needs to be prayerful.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
Suxes: wich one b strong 2-1 wey op just dey mention sef? abeg 2-1 na 2-1
hmmm. bro, you will understand that 2,1 has category when you 1. Apply to some multinationals and they ask you to send your transcript; many of them use this to select the best when they have more talents than the available positions. my brother, there is one oga at KPMG that will interview you and tell you that you are only good and not exceptional. he will tell you that he is looking for exceptional people. he will tell you that he has interviewed countless number of graduates that finished with 4.7, 4.8 out of 5.

2. Apply for scholarships; there are some scholarships that are for only 1st class graduates, an example is the 7up bottling company Harvard University MBA scholarship. some scholarships are for only graduates that finished with strong 2.1 i.e 4.O and above.

i hope you now get it
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sk8erBoy: 12:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
Right. I will begin by saying hard work pays no matter the sphere of life. It pays to have good grades in School - it simply opens a world of opportunities. Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness. Which means you can have good grades but if you are not prepared for the job market you might search for a while. I know people who made first class and got ovearseas scholarships and jobs immediately they finished school and I also know first class graduands who are still job searching.
I got admission to study my course of study on the merit list because I had a very good WAEC result and my jamb score was 206. My second jamb score was 235 which gave me admission to study pet. eng which I declined because I was already well into first year for Chem. Eng. As a result of hard work I managed to secure 2 scholarships as an undergrad. I finished with a strong 2.1 (4.29/5), served with a bank and was offered a job so I was'nt in the job market. I then tried to go abroad (wetin engineer dey do for bank) and got declined the first time. I saved for two years, tried again and here I am. I started applying for jobs from day 1 of starting my Msc course ovearseas - my motivation was to make a first class and get two job offers by the time I graduated. I started a job a week before I graduated and attended a number of interviews - I was relentless. I have changed jobs twice overseas (about to change job again) and I have never been in the job market.
I am still relentless because the ultimate working life is to run your own business. In the main time, I am taking steps to get there. I firmly believe in God's favour but He will only help those who work hard. I'm happy to mentor younger folk; ochescoolbox@yahoo.com

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
This are what will get you a good job in Nigeria
Prayers ( MFM, CAC) etc
Charm
Connections
The rest is luck.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 12:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88:

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons...

Your post was informative but permit me to ask, which Federal University did you graduate from that those who don't have a solid academic background graduate with a 2.1. In my school, those type of people would barely survive the first year.
I have a solid academic background (All distinctions in WAEC with a couple of good Maths Olympiad performances), I am quick at learning, I work hard and I managed to finish with a 3.56 (was never on a 2.1 until my last semester). I am also a product of a federal University not just any Federal University. GREAT IFE!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Alimtoheeb(m): 12:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
Bro, iur write up really motivate me us I still av †ђξ ability Τ̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡ come out in †ђξ next 4 yrs by GOD's grace with first class( INSHA ALLAH)........
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Vikkiboi(m): 12:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
OpYzo: hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strived harder but dats bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks

the first thing you need to do is to work on your CV, try get CVs of friends that have been getting invites and work it out in respect to their CVs,

also try to be connected to latest openings and pray towards it. God will see us through
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by justi4jesu(f): 12:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
glitest: This are what will get you a good job in Nigeria
Prayers ( MFM, CAC) etc
Charm
Connections
The rest is luck.

lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Omadachi(m): 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
True talk OP.You are very correct.I graduated with 2.1 and even while still serving as a corper i started receiving invitation for interview.After my NYSC within few months i got invitation from these organizations;Exxon,chevron,Zenith bank,First bank,LNG etc.I couldn't believe it.All these came my way without any connection.Am presently working with a multinational company.

However,that's not to say people who graduated with lesser grade will not get job in a good company just that the numbers of jobless graduate are increasing on daily basis and most employer will want to use certain criteria to stream down the numbers.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by damzy88: 12:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.
. please I need your email address. Thanks
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by leeogrin407: 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
Well said though, but its not always applicable to all jobs, I finished with a 2:2 and was still able to get a good job, it is not always about certificate but sabificate. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by abdulwastecx(m): 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
I also made first class in civil engineering serving in port harcourt presently. ...
Nigeria private sector really valued certificates
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kennytidistar(m): 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
not all students that finished below 2:1 are lazy or not hard working, smart or unintelligent, can you quantify your effort that enable you arrived at 2:1? if not leave story and let correct the system first.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax:

Your post was informative but permit me to ask, which Federal University did you graduate from that those who don't have a solid academic background graduate with a 2.1. In my school, those type of people would barely survive the first year.
I have a solid academic background (All distinctions in WAEC with a couple of good Maths Olympiad performances), I am quick at learning, I work hard and I managed to finish with a 3.56 (was never on a 2.1 until my last semester). I am also a product of a federal University not just any Federal University. GREAT IFE!

lmao. when i said friends that didn't have strong academic background, I meant people that were just average in secondary school and not people that were dull. Nevertheless, I have seen people that made credits in O'level and finished with 1st class where the ones that finished with distinctions in O'level made 2.1. A lot of things count my brother

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Best / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle / Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.