Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Does Love After Marriage Really Works? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Love After Marriage Really Works? (23557 Views)

Why Are Some Men So Quick To Label Women Gold-diggers? Does Love Mean Poverty/suffering? / Does Love Realy Fades Away? / Why Does Love Hurt So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by phransix147(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
ginajet: King Solomon I hail thee

Bathsheba do you mind?
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by dammytosh: 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
Smartsyn: You must have heard the phrase 'the love will come gradually after we get married'. This is always the case when someone is desperate to get married or when a wife is find for you by your parents or guardians..

You know within you that you don't love him/her but believes that the love will come on it's own AFTER you get married.

Does it work that way, is it viable, or is it a lifetime mistake..?

Your opinions are welcomed..

It decreases after marriage. All those mad things go down. It takes grace to operate at a middle level.
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Sarimah(f): 3:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
I doubt..I cnt take dat risk
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by NobleG1(m): 3:27pm On Oct 02, 2014
It is st*upid to go into marraige without love. Why would any sane person marry someone they don't love?
Marraige is not a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship where you go into a relationship with someone you like, while love develops later. I don't believe in love at first sight.
In the old days, sons and daughters were forced by their families to marry people they didn't love. Not again nowadays.
Anyone today who marries without love, is either in it for money or power or the marraige title.
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by ravgach: 3:59pm On Oct 02, 2014
CoCoLav:

I agree with your first paragraph. So are you saying that our parents who did not get married for love but later came to love, tolerate and understand each other are just 'lovable'?

Compare the marriages of those days and of today and see which ones last longer. Also compare the divorce rates of people who married for love and those in which love was not a factor. If you agree with me that our parent's marriages last longer then don't you also think that its better to have a 'lovable' marriage than to marry for love?

The marriage of old is not in any way comparable to that of today. It is like comparing the old and new testaments. Marriage 'worked' in those days because women are not married. They are acquired. In fact marriage of those days is a mini slavery. The man in most cases do not have a say. His father is his spokesman and the women are 'siddon look' their fathers marry them out! The men are mostly favored because they can marry again and again until they find love. If you really want to marry today, informed choice must be involved if you will make a success of it. Above all it must begin with love because marriage is all about love. Why enter it before you love when it is for better for worse? Is it not better to be sure the one you are going with is your best friend and lover before entering into it? I think it is better!
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:10pm On Oct 02, 2014
Odikwa very risky
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by mezebel(f): 4:19pm On Oct 02, 2014
nedu213: I wish my ex can see this quote below:

nedulove I saw d quote,but u were never ready to walk down to d isle with me,jst busy then giving me diff. Wrestling styles. Its not late tho
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by englishmart(m): 4:56pm On Oct 02, 2014
osmond2009: .
time shall tell
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by ginajet(f): 5:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
phransix147:

Bathsheba do you mind?
Bathsheba? cry
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by JEITO: 5:09pm On Oct 02, 2014
It is possible but not worth the risk.

Love! if is not agape, tend to drop as couples get more familiar with each other.

Why marry when you have no cogent reason you can look back on when the murky waters begin to rise?

Even though I don't encourage people to marry "just because they love each other", love is still an important ingredient as it help both party to be comfortable and tolerate each other.
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Ann2deals(f): 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2014
Smartsyn: it works for those who are scared to love and to get hurt but for me i can't end up marring whom i don't even feel for at first because i wont be able to bear him child talk more of children.

You know within you that you don't love him/her but believes that the love will come on it's own AFTER you get married.

Does it work that way, is it viable, or is it a lifetime mistake..?

Your opinions are welcomed..
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 02, 2014
Love lasts 3 years wink
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by dapsy4u2(m): 5:37pm On Oct 02, 2014
IT'S A NO NO!
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by CoCoLav(f): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
ravgach:

The marriage of old is not in any way comparable to that of today. It is like comparing the old and new testaments. Marriage 'worked' in those days because women are not married. They are acquired. In fact marriage of those days is a mini slavery. The man in most cases do not have a say. His father is his spokesman and the women are 'siddon look' their fathers marry them out! The men are mostly favored because they can marry again and again until they find love. If you really want to marry today, informed choice must be involved if you will make a success of it. Above all it must begin with love because marriage is all about love. Why enter it before you love when it is for better for worse? Is it not better to be sure the one you are going with is your best friend and lover before entering into it? I think it is better!

I don't know how to argue concerning relationship matter because its not a one shoe fits all thing. From the experiences I have had and also from other experiences, I have just concluded that love isn't the bane of marriage. Once there is tolerance, trust, respect, mutual understanding, commitment, whatever other qualities I need in a man and of course sex.ual chemistry then we are good to go. Love stems from all these things.

1 Like

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Princecharmin(m): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
INDIAN MOVIES don corrupt una brainz grin
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by millionboi(m): 5:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
YES.....bt most times is 1sided,d man may lik d woman while d man is no more interestin 2him and vice versa
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Reference(m): 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2014
Yes, because there cannot be love before marraige. You cannot love whom you donot know. Love is the product of relationship not the other way round. As a couple goes along in marraige the seed of love is planted and grows. That's why elderly widows and spinsters are very vulnerable and often experience profound physiological and psychological challenges after the death of their partner. That's true love. What you have before a typical marraige is infatuation or lust or hope. No more. And like an early morning mist the reality of marraige clears that away very quickly for the real love to take root most often after the seed dies (misunderstanding, conflict out if greed, selfishness, etc). It is the heat of the day that brings the real showers of love in the evenings to cool the twilight of your lives in old age. Life is beautiful. Learn to love. True love is good.
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by willorie(f): 6:32pm On Oct 02, 2014
I dn't like u let alone "Love" u
then I'll be answering/saying "I do"
for what nao? For the how self?
Am not trying to be rude or insultive but
dat gaurdian abi parent need to try harder
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by ravgach: 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
CoCoLav:

I don't know how to argue concerning relationship matter because its not a one shoe fits all thing. From the experiences I have had and also from other experiences, I have just concluded that love isn't the bane of marriage. Once there is tolerance, trust, respect, mutual understanding, commitment, whatever other qualities I need in a man and of course sex.ual chemistry then we are good to go. Love stems from all these things.

We are saying the same thing then. What I am saying is before[/size][size=8pt] you say I do to any man/woman, be sure that:

1. You have mutual respect for each other - for each other's body too (this does not come in one day)
2. You tolerate each other (this also will mean unconditional acceptance) this also is not a day's job
3. You trust each other (this come with test, remember) not a day's job
4. You reach some understanding (concerning money, job, children, inlaws, conduct, dressing etc) not a day's job
5. You are pooling resources together to make the relationship work (infatuation does not have this patience)
6. You share affection/attraction (You must be proud to associate/be with each other - not one person in front the other behind) takes time too
7. You are ready to defend each other with your life (this is one of the major test of love)
8. You are willing and able to support him/her in weakness/sickness/setbacks/misfortunes etc.
9. You are willing to share your resources (money, power, favour, privilege, talents, etc) this takes a lot of time.
10. You are ready/willing/able to be in subjection to a man (in case of a woman)
11. You are ready/willing/able to love, protect, provide for a woman (in case of a man)
12. You are ready to remain faithful to each other for life
13. You are ready to live together and nurture the union for life

Love in marriage is not a 100 meters dash. It is a capsule filled with all these and more. It is not that "I feel good" feeling. Love is not feeling at all. There are feelings in love but it is not feeling.

There are different kinds of love. I am writing about marriage love here please. So before you tell a man/woman that
you love him/her (in the marriage sense) be sure to have thought on these and many more.

These lend credence to the fact that love must be the bane of marriage and must also come[b] BEFORE [/b]its consummation, not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Tymax(m): 7:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
dytbabe:

Sing me that song
I wanna dance

Tymax leee, Dyt again...
Ra ra ra ra, o ro ro ro ro, re re re re

Oya baby rora gbese o (rora gbese o)
Baby rora redi o Aba! (Rora redi)
Oya ro ro roll your waisti o!
grin

4 Likes

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by CoCoLav(f): 7:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
ravgach:

We are saying the same thing then. What I am saying is before[/size][size=8pt] you say I do to any man/woman, be sure that:

1. You have mutual respect for each other - for each other's body too (this does not come in one day)
2. You tolerate each other (this also will mean unconditional acceptance) this also is not a day's job
3. You trust each other (this come with test, remember) not a day's job
4. You reach some understanding (concerning money, job, children, inlaws, conduct, dressing etc) not a day's job
5. You are pooling resources together to make the relationship work (infatuation does not have this patience)
6. You share affection/attraction (You must be proud to associate/be with each other - not one person in front the other behind) takes time too
7. You are ready to defend each other with your life (this is one of the major test of love)
8. You are willing and able to support him/her in weakness/sickness/setbacks/misfortunes etc.
9. You are willing to share your resources (money, power, favour, privilege, talents, etc) this takes a lot of time.
Love in marriage is not a 100 meter dash. It is a capsule filled with all these and more.

There are different kinds of love. I am writing about marriage love here please. So before you tell a man/woman that
you love him/her (in the marriage sense) be sure to have thought on these and many more.

These lend credence to the fact that love must be the bane of marriage and must also come[b] BEFORE [/b]its consummation, not the other way round.

Those things listed are not the different kinds of love. They are just what a rational being should look out for before entering into marriage. Most people who claim to be in love ignore some of this salient points which later leads to a breakdown of the marriage when the love no longer sustains them. Love is different from trust, commitment and all those things you listed.

Most people leave Number 4 till after marriage but yet they are in love. Most people even start having issues concerning number 4 before marriage but believe they will sort it out after marriage because they are in love.

If you label Number 7 as a test of love, how then can you also call it a type of love. smiley
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by CoCoLav(f): 7:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
Reference: Yes, because there cannot be love before marraige. You cannot love whom you donot know. Love is the product of relationship not the other way round. As a couple goes along in marraige the seed of love is planted and grows. That's why elderly widows and spinsters are very vulnerable and often experience profound physiological and psychological challenges after the death of their partner. That's true love. What you have before a typical marraige is infatuation or lust or hope. No more. And like an early morning mist the reality of marraige clears that away very quickly for the real love to take root most often after the seed dies (misunderstanding, conflict out if greed, selfishness, etc). It is the heat of the day that brings the real showers of love in the evenings to cool the twilight of your lives in old age. Life is beautiful. Learn to love. True love is good.

Thank you! True love lasts forever, it doesn't fade. Corinthians 13 is always my guide concerning love. God is love and until we learn to love unconditionally and selflessly we cannot understand love. Before marriage, people love for a reason.....He has money, she is pretty, she is smart, He is God fearing, He is responsible. All these are conditions. Pure love is unconditional.
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by ravgach: 7:31pm On Oct 02, 2014
CoCoLav:

Those things listed are not the different kinds of love. They are just what a rational being should look out for before entering into marriage. Most people who claim to be in love ignore some of this salient points which later leads to a breakdown of the marriage when the love no longer sustains them. Love is different from trust, commitment and all those things you listed.

Most people leave Number 4 till after marriage but yet they are in love. Most people even start having issues concerning number 4 before marriage but believe they will sort it out after marriage because they are in love.

If you label Number 7 as a test of love, how then can you also call it a type of love. smiley

Do not let musicians fool you. Love is not in the 'air'. Love is like music produced by an orchestra. It is a combination and cohesion of actions and events. When someone visits a sick person in a hospital, it is an act of love. It is also love. But love is not only visiting people in the hospital. Love is not feelings. Love has feelings but not feelings.

If anyone leaves these things until marriage is consummated, it is not a wise decision! They might get it right later, just like a dead clock is right only but twice. But many, many more people will be trapped in marriage thereby giving the wrong impression to the unmarried about the marriage life that is supposed to be 'heaven on earth'.

All these stuff I listed, to me, is love that is not BLIND - Shine your Eye o.
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Oahray: 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
CoCoLav:

I agree with your first paragraph. So are you saying that our parents who did not get married for love but later came to love, tolerate and understand each other are just 'lovable'?

Compare the marriages of those days and of today and see which ones last longer. Also compare the divorce rates of people who married for love and those in which love was not a factor. If you agree with me that our parent's marriages last longer then don't you also think that its better to have a 'lovable' marriage than to marry for love?

marriages then were out of duty, especially for the woman. Many marriages were polygamous. Have you observed polygamous families before? The women only grew to take solace in whatever children they have and love them to bits.

The reason why divorce is common now is because it is possible and relatively very easy. It's like seeing two bird rearers with different rearing styles. Man A leaves his bird cages open and have just 6 birds in them that remain even when they can fly away. Man B has 50 birds under constant lock and key. At a glance, most people would think Man B's birds fare better cos they are many. Only a keen observer would consider the lock.

Those days, divorce was only when the man is fed up with the woman even if for the most trivial of reasons and sends her packing to meet her parents. Such was shameful by societal standards, so women endured nightmarish marriages just to save face. Is that your idea of love after marriage?

2 Likes

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by magmama(f): 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2014
Love can come after marriage when you realise that the person is not bad as much as you felt afteral. Marriage is all about understanding, tolerance, respect.

In this kind if marriage, communication might be zero at the onset but can be developed when not forced.

1 Like

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by ravgach: 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
magmama: Love can come after marriage when you realise that the person is not bad as much as you felt afteral. Marriage is all about understanding, tolerance, respect.

In this kind if marriage, communication might be zero at the onset but can be developed when not forced.

I have just few questions for you please:

1. WHAT IF IT COMMUNICATION BREAKS DOWN?

2. WHAT IF ANY OF THE COUPLES EXHITS INTOLERANCE, MISUNDERSTANDING, DISRESPECT?

3. WHAT HAPPENS PLEASE?
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by dytbabe: 8:08pm On Oct 02, 2014
Tymax:

Tymax leee, Dyt again...

grin

Spray me jor
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by whitestar01(m): 8:23pm On Oct 02, 2014
Most of us don't understand what love is all about
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
Tymax:

Tymax leee, Dyt again...

grin

hehehehehehe....Lwtmb....

2 Likes

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Tymax(m): 10:10pm On Oct 02, 2014
dytbabe:

Spray me jor
Na ATM card o. Cashless tins. grin So, bring POS.

1 Like

Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Nmeri17: 11:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
marieolae: This is actually what happened to my uncle. He met this girl which he had no interest in marrying. Just a fling. They were having sexx regularly and eventually she got pregnant. He insisted that she should abort the pregnancy but she refused. So in this situation, he was " forced" to marry her. And now I believe he is madly in love with her, not only because she is the mother of his child, but its something from within. I guess love after marriage is possible, but its not advisable to rush into things. The story doesn't always end in a glorious way. "And they lived happily ever after" may not be the case.

I am yo uncle and I find this post offensive angry angry
Re: Does Love After Marriage Really Works? by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 03, 2014
krall: This is why it is not good to marry for love.
Marry for the benefits attached.
spot on!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Did You Fall In Love In Secondary School? / Who Cares More About The partner's Look?, Ladies Or Guys / LEAKED: Nigerian Female Banker Acts Porn In Secret

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.