Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School (53030 Views)

Nigerian Law School Prospective 2015/2016 Set... / Waec 2014 May/june Results Out. Mass Failure Recorded / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by otunbaloye: 10:47am On Oct 21, 2014
Hmmmmn!
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 21, 2014
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by etenyong(m): 10:50am On Oct 21, 2014
Mass failure await PDP come 2015.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by akinsadeez(m): 10:50am On Oct 21, 2014
Generally law school Bar finals is known to be one of the hardest professional exams in the whole world. That being said, a situation where 4000 students fail out of 6000 is simply unacceptable. infact it is an indictment of the lecturers who taught the students and the law school system as a whole. It begs the questions whether the lecturers really impacted anything in a majority of the students if 70% of those who took the exams can fail.
The DG has to take a good look at himself. When he was taking over from Tahir Mamman last year, I told my friends just going into law school that they were lucky because he would want the first set under him to do well and the result would consequently generally be very good. Subsequent events however proved me wrong.
The DG reduced the time of MCQ from 60 minutes to 50 minutes without properly informing all the campuses and the students. MCQ that when I was doing mine few years ago, I was hardly able to finish within 60 mins, not to talk of now removing ten minutes from the time. God also knows where and how the DG set the questions. I have a friend who graduated from the university with a 2.1 and who I know to be very intelligent, but he told me that during civil litigation exam, he was basically lost and was counting the ceiling.
The problem is that the new DG is trying at all cost to prove that he is different from the old one and he did this at the expense of the students. To all those who failed, next year will be your year IJN. To those who passed and scaled the tsunami, congrats and welcome to the bar. God bless!

10 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by gotousa2013: 10:55am On Oct 21, 2014
this mass failure on the part of the law graduate is an indication that the lecturers have also failed. After charging exhorbitantly to take the exams this is totally unacceptable.

5 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by pembisco(m): 10:55am On Oct 21, 2014
my dad, who is s federal high court judge told me that the judges are complaining over increasing number of unemployed barristers on the street, that it is making the noble profession looks ordinary and with time, people will start disrespecting the profession by the time barristers start settling for meager jobs to make ends meet. they blamed the universities and particularly the law school for graduating barristers higher than the law stipulated for them. may be this mass failure is connected to this. ..just saying sha

5 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by zizoo36: 10:56am On Oct 21, 2014
nnafather:
They should take heart...Mass failure is a Nigerian Brand. It's our culture; they should get use to it as we have gotten used to other mass failures like Buhari, Police, NEPA, MTN, ACN...God giveth, God taketh.
You forgot to mention yourself as a failure grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by clemz88(m): 10:57am On Oct 21, 2014
Pls save the Institute of chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) students ,they have been failing in mass. Is it there professional exams they do at the law school or wat because I dnt really understand
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ocheejemb: 10:58am On Oct 21, 2014
Leopantro:
you truly believe that? how many law schools are in Nigeria and what is the capacity of each one? if everyone passed the exam do you really think all the law schools would have the capacity to accommodate them?
the law board passes a certain percentage of applicant for each exam irrespective of the number that applied for it. check last year's pass rate.

Edit: I don't believe that the educational system in law schools are deteriorating. a graph is drawn of the total exam score and a certain percentage is taken as the cut off Mark. you might have passed the exam but if your score is below that Mark, you don't pass.
however, considering the cost of the exam, setting such high standards could be harmful.

First of all, did you read this article? Its the law school that's failed them, not a single University or Faculty. Secondly, if 2/3 of an entire set is failing the problem is not with the students, its with the school.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by clemz88(m): 11:01am On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:
Generally law school Bar finals is known to be one of the hardest professional exams in the whole world. That being said, a situation where 4000 students fail out of 6000 is simply unacceptable. infact it is an indictment of the lecturers who taught the students and the law school system as a whole. It begs the questions whether the lecturers really impacted anything in a majority of the students if 70% of those who took the exams can fail.
The DG has to take a good look at himself. When he was taking over from Tahir Mamman last year, I told my friends just going into law school that they were lucky because he would want the first set under him to do well and the result would consequently generally be very good. Subsequent events however proved me wrong.
The DG reduced the time of MCQ from 60 minutes to 50 minutes without properly informing all the campuses and the students. MCQ that when I was doing mine few years ago, I was hardly able to finish within 60 mins, not to talk of now removing ten minutes from the time. God also knows where and how the DG set the questions. I have a friend who graduated from the university with a 2.1 and who I know to be very intelligent, but he told me that during civil litigation exam, he was basically lost and was counting the ceiling.
The problem is that the new DG is trying at all cost to prove that he is different from the old one and he did this at the expense of the students. To all those who failed, next year will be your year IJN. To those who passed and scaled the tsunami, congrats and welcome to the bar. God bless!
shaarap and correct ur self . How would you say that. Every profession has a challenging course which they must pass tru to be a professional
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 21, 2014
gotousa2013:
this mass failure on the part of the law graduate is an indication that the lecturers have also failed. After charging exhorbitantly to take the exams this is totally unacceptable.
The N300,000 fee was for the entire Law school year + bar exam; it wasn't solely for the exam.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 21, 2014
Gone are the days when i respected the law profession so much. It was a respected discipline back in the university as we see them all as intelligent and brave, but as of today I can't say any more. That's not to say we still don't have intelligent once. Young peeps nowadays wanna go for the law profession coz of the way the world see it than what they need to contribute in the society. God help our graduates of these age...

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by kilmix: 11:03am On Oct 21, 2014
I passed.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by arabbunkum: 11:06am On Oct 21, 2014
Future rogues.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by dollyptosh(m): 11:08am On Oct 21, 2014
Claroo:
Bad Result generally sad
how ur own sef? Pm me .."Lol
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by shogz89: 11:09am On Oct 21, 2014
Ican students face more than this twice a year,,, let them try harder. (4000*300000=12,000,000,000) Damn that's a whole lot of money down the drain.. I smell big fish
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by unmask: 11:10am On Oct 21, 2014
I so much hate when I see things like "review the result and save our future"......if you read you will pass and if you don't pass, but feel you read....then call for your script

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by eleko1: 11:22am On Oct 21, 2014
They should keep quite and accept their fate.Majority of dis 'thieves' yes they are thieves(they'll discharge/acquit a crooks after they twist/turn the law upside down to suit the highest bidder)bribe their way out of University.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ojsmscom(m): 11:22am On Oct 21, 2014
kasalaa don burst be dat naa
does it mean that these learned gentle men are not learned as they use to brag in campus
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ojsmscom(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2014
ojsmscom:
kasalaa don burst be dat naa
does it mean that these learned gentle men are not learned as they use to brag in campus
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by kilmix: 11:23am On Oct 21, 2014
hardbody:

The answer is simple. It is an examination, a professional examination for that matter. Those who go prepared, pass the exams. Those who spent time gallivanting, tweeting, doing all sorts of social media harakiri (apologies to bros) end up failing. I appreciate the plight if those who perhaps wrote the examination in a state of ill health and other similar circumstances.

Oga, "tweeting n doing all sorts of social media" does not stop one from reading... My subscription was on throughout the exams I was always on NL plus I was always updating one down four to go BBM..

You know what? I passed. The mass failure is from the system .

Drastically changing marking scheme when they told us it will start from next set, reducing exam time without prior notice and marking down students was the cause.

7 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 21, 2014
Say no to "charge and bail" lawyers

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by akinsadeez(m): 11:28am On Oct 21, 2014
clemz88:
shaarap and correct ur self . How would you say that. Every profession has a challenging course which they must pass tru to be a professional

Huh? WTF! kiss Honestly you have terrible comprehension skills. Well, clap for yourself....you just got yourself ten seconds of attention cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by DrGabbi(m): 11:29am On Oct 21, 2014
It calls to question the credibility of the exam and the integrity of the other lawyers degree. Could it be that it is only this set that performed poorly or the other sets were equally bad but enjoyed leniency in the marking system. A serious probe into what went wrong should be made. More so, which kind of examiner would take pride in deliberately failing candidates so massively? #Issorai

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by nickxtra(m): 11:29am On Oct 21, 2014
This guys should be ashamed of themselves. What will they tell their kids who come back from school, failed an examination and begin to tell the parents that he failed because the principal wants him to fail. Will you not scold that child? The question these lazy 'lawyers' must answer is, what does the DG stands to gain by failing them? Nothing. They should go and resit for the examination jor and stop complaining.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by FrenchyL(m): 11:31am On Oct 21, 2014
Just a thought... how did the other 2,000 pass the exams? #JustAsking smiley

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Mitsurugi(m): 11:34am On Oct 21, 2014
This is rubbish. I read at the Nigerian Law School Lagos in 2008/2009, when Onadeko was the Deputy-Director General. I also served as the Students Representative Council Chairman and had a good relationship with Onadeko whom I had hitherto been warned about regarding his hauteur nature. My relationship with Onadeko revealed him to be a man of strict academic and behavioral disciple and it inspired me to work hard both in academic and professional excellence. It is on record at the Law school among my colleagues that I wrote my exams from the sick bay and yet earned a 2'2, it is also on record that many older students with years of working experience all passed as against the fresh school leavers duing my time. You cannot beat hard work. Most Law Students are lazy and have no idea what they are at the Law School for. My first cousin just wrote this same exam and graduated with a 2'1. I shall be at her call to bar, but I hasten to add that I marveled at the way she read; my God she read and always asked me questions. Nonsense! If the Law School decides to go against the Council of Legal Education ethics and publish some of the results, Nigerians would be so shocked that giving young lawyers briefs would be herculean! My advice, they should go and prepare for re-sit!

4 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by DrGabbi(m): 11:35am On Oct 21, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
pembisco:
my dad, who is s federal high court judge told me that the judges are complaining over increasing number of unemployed barristers on the street, that it is making the noble profession looks ordinary and with time, people will start disrespecting the profession by the time barristers start settling for meager jobs to make ends meet. they blamed the universities and particularly the law school for graduating barristers higher than the law stipulated for them. may be this mass failure is connected to this. ..just saying sha

Somehow, it makes sense. However, failing students on this basis alone is pointless. There are other ways to tackle massive unemployment of lawyers in this country. #Issorai

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by clemz88(m): 11:35am On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:

Huh? WTF! kiss Honestly you have terrible comprehension skills. Well, clap for yourself....you just got yourself ten seconds of attention cheesy
I see u have eye problem . And by the way I don't have your time
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by neksummi(m): 11:36am On Oct 21, 2014
nickxtra:
This guys should be ashamed of themselves. What will they tell their kids who come back from school, failed an examination and begin to tell the parents that he failed because the principal wants him to fail. Will you not scold that child? The question these lazy 'lawyers' must answer is, what does the DG stands to gain by failing them? Nothing. They should go and resit for the examination jor and stop complaining.

But sometimes lecturers no dey try for Naija o!

Avoid this if you're a new web marketer

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by olayincar(m): 11:40am On Oct 21, 2014
jeje123:
Waiting concern jesus about dis one now? U want to implicate jesus again? Bounce of olodoooooo

Mr man... Dat is nt wah I mean .okay
And pls learn how to talk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Caption This Exam Sitting Arrangement In Eksu (Photo) / FUTA 400L Student Designs And Built Automatic Change Over (PHOTOS) / The Menace Of Living Of Campus(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.