Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,815,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School (53029 Views)

Nigerian Law School Prospective 2015/2016 Set... / Waec 2014 May/june Results Out. Mass Failure Recorded / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by amedave(m): 11:43am On Oct 21, 2014
Leopantro:
you truly believe that? how many law schools are in Nigeria and what is the capacity of each one? if everyone passed the exam do you really think all the law schools would have the capacity to accommodate them?
the law board passes a certain percentage of applicant for each exam irrespective of the number that applied for it. check last year's pass rate.

Edit: I don't believe that the educational system in law schools are deteriorating. a graph is drawn of the total exam score and a certain percentage is taken as the cut off Mark. you might have passed the exam but if your score is below that Mark, you don't pass.
however, considering the cost of the exam, setting such high standards could be harmful.
kkkk
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by mployer(m): 11:44am On Oct 21, 2014
01karma:
Why would someone pay N300,000 and refuse to take his book seriously. No body failed them, they refuse to read while their mate were burning the mid-night canddle and got paid back with a first class and 2nd class upper.

BREAKING NEWS : Oscar pistoria sentence to 5 year in prisonment.. For commiting homicide and posection of fire arm.

You think an adult can cough out 300k tuition fee and still refuse to read?

They didn't fail, someone failed them in the name of raising standard. 400,000 failure out of 600,000 is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by pacesetter939: 11:45am On Oct 21, 2014
This is certainly what you get when the candidates spend more time on social media.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by yorke1: 11:53am On Oct 21, 2014
I am not surprised! it is not the lawyer that passed through Law school asked a man in the pension fraud to pay a sum of 750k as fine for stealing Billions. Abi it is not another Lawyer that passed through the Law school stole the people's mandate and gave it to APC in the South West. I hope you guys haven't forgotten Ibori case as well. They should better fail them all.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by justi4jesu(f): 11:54am On Oct 21, 2014
Aspiregreat:

ask ggogle

As google simple to spell reach, you still no fit spell am.

It is well angry
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 21, 2014
And someone will say its Jonathan's fault. So tay Oga no fit give madam belle, na Jonathan fault.

Na wa oh! :/

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by mployer(m): 11:56am On Oct 21, 2014
pembisco:
my dad, who is s federal high court judge told me that the judges are complaining over increasing number of unemployed barristers on the street, that it is making the noble profession looks ordinary and with time, people will start disrespecting the profession by the time barristers start settling for meager jobs to make ends meet. they blamed the universities and particularly the law school for graduating barristers higher than the law stipulated for them. may be this mass failure is connected to this. ..just saying sha

This is selfishness on the side of the judges. Does that mean others should not study law Just because There are plenty lawyers around?

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by christopher123(m): 11:57am On Oct 21, 2014
why wont they fail with this type of grammar

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by christopher123(m): 11:59am On Oct 21, 2014
QMark:
What do you expect in a failed Nigeria education system?

But Nigerian students sha....
When they pass, they go "WE PASSED"
When they fail, the story becomes "THEY FAILED US"

THAT IS A NIGERIAN GRADUATE FACEBOOK POST

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
I believe they actually failed because nowadays no body reads incuding me
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ceo003: 12:01pm On Oct 21, 2014
01karma:
Why would someone pay N300,000 and refuse to take his book seriously. No body failed them, they refuse to read while their mate were burning the mid-night canddle and got paid back with a first class and 2nd class upper.

BREAKING NEWS : Oscar pistoria sentence to 5 year in prisonment.. For commiting homicide and posection of fire arm.

LAW SCHOOL IS NOT HARD . IVE BEEN THERE . WHY PEOPLE ARE FAILING THEIR EXAMS IS SUSPICIOUS . AFTER COLLECTING @ WHOPPING 300K ? SMH angry

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by pembisco(m): 12:01pm On Oct 21, 2014
mployer:

This is selfishness on the side of the judges. Does that mean others should not study law Just because There are plenty lawyers around?

I think they just want to maintain the relevance of the profession. I don't really know sha...but I believe even you will admit that the profession is becoming something else. They just want to tell us that for you to be called to bar, you have to be tighten your belt and be serious. I've seen barristers that cannot even make good statements, they dress like touts and know next to nothing about the law. The elders in the profession are not happy about this. Now, this news headline will force the upcoming law students to be serious. truth be told, those that passed get two heads ni?

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by natureblack(m): 12:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
Is there not break-down in the Judiciary system in Nigeria........

.........so what's the resentment all about undecided
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by pembisco(m): 12:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
mployer:

I think the problem can traced back to NUC and university VCs for not regulating the numbers of students they admit into law faculties

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by jendy36(m): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
naija for you
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by micolaj: 12:10pm On Oct 21, 2014
hardbody:

Even charge and Bail is not as simple as it sounds. If in doubt, commit a simple offence and get detained. You will appreciate the benefit of having someone standing around as a lawyer to get you bail
GOOD DAY MR. LAW

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Orikinla(m): 12:12pm On Oct 21, 2014
QMark:
What do you expect in a failed Nigeria education system?

But Nigerian students sha....
When they pass, they go "WE PASSED"
When they fail, the story becomes "THEY FAILED US"

grin grin grin

Presently, the best place to study Law is not Nigeria.
When things fall apart
We are no longer at ease
Nigeria has been struck by the Arrow of God
And our president is no longer the Man of the People
Beware Soul Brother
When we see Girls At War
Searching for their missing Chibok girls in the Anthills of the Savannah
Let us pray that one day Nigeria will not become There Was A Country.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Karleb(m): 12:14pm On Oct 21, 2014
Orikinla:

grin grin grin

Presently, the best place to study Law is not Nigeria.
When things fall apart
We are no longer at ease
Nigeria has been struck by the Arrow of God
And our president is no longer the Man of the People
Beware Soul Brother
When we see Girls At War
Searching for their missing Chibok girls in the Anthills of the Savannah
Let us pray that one day Nigeria will not become There Was A Country.

Novels ti po ju. cheesy
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2014
I am not surprised...when they drink Postinor2 from year1 to final yr...a whole 5yrs, they will still come to law school to continue drinking Postinor2 and looking for how to sort. U cant sort law school my friend!!!
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by kurt09(m): 12:18pm On Oct 21, 2014
And most of them are nairalanders. They were dragging issues with me instead of being studious. The last time i checked i haven't seen a situation where someone will study hard and still fail. Am a living witness. Ask my GP!
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by luckaz(m): 12:20pm On Oct 21, 2014
STUDYING LAW HAS NEVER BEEN EASY
PPLE SHLD BE PREPARED VERY HARD

THOUGH THEY FAILED
YET THEY ARE NOT FAILURE

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by kemthegirl(f): 12:21pm On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:
Generally law school Bar finals is known to be one of the hardest professional exams in the whole world. That being said, a situation where 4000 students fail out of 6000 is simply unacceptable. infact it is an indictment of the lecturers who taught the students and the law school system as a whole. It begs the questions whether the lecturers really impacted anything in a majority of the students if 70% of those who took the exams can fail.
The DG has to take a good look at himself. When he was taking over from Tahir Mamman last year, I told my friends just going into law school that they were lucky because he would want the first set under him to do well and the result would consequently generally be very good. Subsequent events however proved me wrong.
The DG reduced the time of MCQ from 60 minutes to 50 minutes without properly informing all the campuses and the students. MCQ that when I was doing mine few years ago, I was hardly able to finish within 60 mins, not to talk of now removing ten minutes from the time. God also knows where and how the DG set the questions. I have a friend who graduated from the university with a 2.1 and who I know to be very intelligent, but he told me that during civil litigation exam, he was basically lost and was counting the ceiling.
The problem is that the new DG is trying at all cost to prove that he is different from the old one and he did this at the expense of the students. To all those who failed, next year will be your year IJN. To those who passed and scaled the tsunami, congrats and welcome to the bar. God bless!

thank u bro. As a lawyer who has passed this very exams at the first attempt i know better than to judge anyone who fails. U have forgotten to mention how a student is being graded with the least score. It is better to have all Ds in the law school and graduate with a pass than to have all As and one F. That's an automatic failure. Also failing the LIP exams amounts to an automatic failure.

as a lawyer, i totally understand those students. Only people with little or no connection with the legal profession will criticize them. This is one exams where i maintain that it is not a true test of knowledge. That i passed at the first attempt three years ago did not make me smarter or more hardworking than those who failed.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Karleb(m): 12:21pm On Oct 21, 2014
SAVEDBABA:
I believe they actually failed because nowadays no body reads incuding me

Just say you don't read anymore!
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by mployer(m): 12:27pm On Oct 21, 2014
pembisco:

I think they just want to maintain the relevance of the profession. I don't really know sha...but I believe even you will admit that the profession is becoming something else. They just want to tell us that for you to be called to bar, you have to be tighten your belt and be serious. I've seen barristers that cannot even make good statements, they dress like touts and know next to nothing about the law. The elders in the profession are not happy about this. Now, this news headline will force the upcoming law students to be serious. truth be told, those that passed get two heads ni?

I think there is a set standard for being called to bar which every lawyer passed through. I am totally in support of maintaining that standard to the last bit, but raising the standard Just to deter upcoming capable lawyers is what I do not support. It is selfish and frustrating.

There is a différence between raising and maintaining a standard.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by timilehing(m): 12:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
na today??
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by uhuns: 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2014
macfarland:
I am not surprised...when they drink Postinor2 from year1 to final yr...a whole 5yrs, they will still come to law school to continue drinking Postinor2 and looking for how to sort. U cant sort law school my friend!!!
thanks my brother man/ sister woman
people fail ican exams, waec,jamb etc. the students keep quiet.

now due to freedom of speech lawyers want to justify failure...... .

my friends would you do the needful and burn that candle ........
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by uhuns: 12:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
mployer:

I think there is a set standard for being called to bar which every lawyer passed through. I am totally in support of maintaining that standard to the last bit, but raising the standard Just to deter upcoming capable lawyers is what I do not support. It is selfish and frustrating.

There is a difference between raising and maintaining a standard.

those days jamb says we hereby grant you a provisional admission to your university of First choice...... when you get 200 and above. but i bet you 270will not make you get to first batch of some schools.

that is what is called competition........ any how you look at it.
if you are employed you would appreciate this better.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Emilord(m): 12:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
My condolensces
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
kemthegirl:

thank u bro. As a lawyer who has passed this very exams at the first attempt i know better than to judge anyone who fails. U have forgotten to mention how a student is being graded with the least score. It is better to have all Ds in the law school and graduate with a pass than to have all As and one F. That's an automatic failure. Also failing the LIP exams amounts to an automatic failure.

as a lawyer, i totally understand those students. Only people with little or no connection with the legal profession will criticize them. This is one exams where i maintain that it is not a true test of knowledge. That i passed at the first attempt three years ago did not make me smarter or more hardworking than those who failed.
Your final grade is based on your lowest score? That's unfair. It should be based on your best score, or your average score, as it would be a more accurate reflection of your one year program.

Anyway, I pray I'll pass the California bar exam in 3 years time.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Bimpe29: 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
This is worrisome!
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by CoCoLav(f): 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
The most painful thing is the grading of students by your lowest score. What kind of grading is that? Those criticizing those that failed, you won't understand. How can someone with a 4.3 GPA from university who borrowed the money for his school fees get to law school and play? He finished with a pass! It is totally unacceptable.

Something has to be done.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
Even after 5 good years shocked dummies! angry it takes me 3 months for one module! Iti boribos angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Caption This Exam Sitting Arrangement In Eksu (Photo) / FUTA 400L Student Designs And Built Automatic Change Over (PHOTOS) / The Menace Of Living Of Campus(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.