Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School (53025 Views)

Nigerian Law School Prospective 2015/2016 Set... / Waec 2014 May/june Results Out. Mass Failure Recorded / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ojsmscom(m): 1:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
[s]DOUBLE WAHALA FOR INTENDING BARRISTERS[/s]
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by eightsin(m): 1:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
QMark:
What do you expect in a failed Nigeria education system?

But Nigerian students sha....
When they pass, they go "WE PASSED"
When they fail, the story becomes "THEY FAILED US"

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by jpphilips(m): 1:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
when our youths make comments on nairaland, they ooze of emptiness, why wont they fail? How many hours do they spend reading?
the last time i saw most of them, their micro mini skirts were competing favorably with average Ikeja brothels.
how can a block head be scared of failure? he that is down, fears no fall.
I pity the sponsors whose hard earned 300k has been flushed down the drain of face book buffoonery

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ojsmscom(m): 1:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
[s]
The Nigerian Law School recently released the 2013/2014 August result, and about 4,000 students were said to have failed the examination which is a prerequisite for them to be called to Bar.

The students who paid over N300, 000 for the one year programme are angry and frustrated, blaming the their failure on the Director General of Nigerian Law School, Olarenwaju Adesola Onadeko, PM News reports.

They claimed that Onadeko wants to destroy their career by failing them en masse and they have called for a review of the examination as well as their results.

In their reaction, some of the students said: “Save Law School Students: The DG Olarenwaju Onadeko has come to destroy the future of over 70 per cent of students who wrote exams in August and has run to the United Kingdom to seek solace.

“#Please save the future of 5000 law school student, so that the results may be reviewed because some lecturers are in support of this movement as they know the DG asked for a lot of scripts to be marked down. Please this is the least you can do.

“The mass failure at the Nigerian Law School is an insult to the legal system. Kindly help address this issue by calling the attention of authorities that matters; while another simply read: “#Please save the future of 5000 law school students”.

“We the law students of Nigerian Law School protest the poor handling and marking of our Bar 2 final exam. Please we need the media to come to our aid,” an email read.

“The Nigerian Law School released the 2013/2014 August result. It was a Tsunami! Out of 6000 candidates who registered, about #2172 passed. We are talking of about #4000 students who failed”.
[/s]
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by christopher123(m): 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
Orikinla:

grin grin grin

Presently, the best place to study Law is not Nigeria.
When things fall apart
We are no longer at ease
Nigeria has been struck by the Arrow of God
And our president is no longer the Man of the People
Beware Soul Brother
When we see Girls At War
Searching for their missing Chibok girls in the Anthills of the Savannah
Let us pray that one day Nigeria will not become There Was A Country.

ARE YOU A POET OR YOU HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THESE DAMN FUCCKKING BOOKS

I GIVE IT TO YOU

KEEP IT UP
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
priscaoge:

Which ever way u twist am,Dude those guys didn't study well to merit a pass and that's Y they failed! Even those that haven't qualified call themselves Lawyers So are they not Charge and Bail?

All of you talking and blabbing here over what you don't know. Now let me tell you how Law school exams are being graded.

For you to make a first class it means your least. Score in all d five courses offered is an A. That means you scored A across board. A 2'1 means ur least was B; 2'2 dat means least was C den pass means least was E so it is possible to get A in four courses and an E in one den you are automatically a pass student den A in four courses and F in one u failed. The thing is thaat you are graded with ur least score in all the five subjects. It is not a cumulative exam.
Not as if I am pleading for them it is a system I passed through in 2010/2011 luckily I got a 2'1. I went to the Kano campus and most importantly I am glad I finished before Boko haram issue started.
Take heart dear students and try again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by jayriginal: 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lots of ignorance on display here from people who have no clue and adamantly refuse to enlighten themselves.

For me, I have mixed feelings. First of all, Law School results are hardly ever wonderful but there is something unusual about 4000 out of 6000 students failing (if the numbers are to be believed).

This is especially so when you consider that some of what is taught at the law school has been covered in part by their undergraduate program. One may be tempted to think that the students were not particularly studious but its better to give them the benefit of doubt for now.

What I see from most of the comments is pure bad belle. Whats up with beefing professionals?

First it was doctors. Now Lawyers. I wonder who will be next up.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by craigj: 1:13pm On Oct 21, 2014
The system at law school was changed from what I learnt. Person no fit pay 300k come mumu he-her sef naaah.
Someone close to me complained after his first paper. He said they 've bn caught unawares and he doesn't think a first-class is sure anymore though he made a 2.2. He was so disappointed not until he started hearing other people's results.
Make una ask other peps wey just finish law school...
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by deniyor: 1:14pm On Oct 21, 2014
Shameless students blaming the authorities for their failures. The mass failure goes to show the degradation of the Nigerian educational system, not just law school.
How many students study these days on a regular? Not just when exams and tests are about to happen. Many are busy with other activities and think they can bluff their way through university. How many of them are able to pass their waec and neco exams without cheating?

God help us
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by akinsadeez(m): 1:14pm On Oct 21, 2014
kemthegirl:

thank u bro. As a lawyer who has passed this very exams at the first attempt i know better than to judge anyone who fails. U have forgotten to mention how a student is being graded with the least score. It is better to have all Ds in the law school and graduate with a pass than to have all As and one F. That's an automatic failure. Also failing the LIP exams amounts to an automatic failure.

as a lawyer, i totally understand those students. Only people with little or no connection with the legal profession will criticize them. This is one exams where i maintain that it is not a true test of knowledge. That i passed at the first attempt three years ago did not make me smarter or more hardworking than those who failed.

Gbam! You have said it all. I just laugh at all these people saying that those who failed did not read as if a whole 4000 students can decide to come to law school, pay 300,000 naira plus money for books, attend lectures and then just start playing from beginning to end. The fact is that passing Bar finals is not really a function of how well or hard you read, its all about Grace. During my set, those who were always visible in class, always answering questions and whom we were expecting to get first class ended up with 'pass' or even failed.
some of those who failed might have failed just one course out of five. I have friends who I know read very well but surprisingly got 'f'. It seems the marking scheme this year was extraordinarily harsh.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by pembisco(m): 1:17pm On Oct 21, 2014
mployer:

I think there is a set standard for being called to bar which every lawyer passed through. I am totally in support of maintaining that standard to the last bit, but raising the standard Just to deter upcoming capable lawyers is what I do not support. It is selfish and frustrating.

There is a différence between raising and maintaining a standard.
there's a standard of course, but you know the standard has to be raised due to increasing numbers of the students. Each university has an exact number of slots into law school, unimaid for instance has 150 slots but you find out that the VCs and Registrars admit 400 students into part one, now how will the remaining gain admission into the law school? but you find out extra slots are given to these students through curuption and bribery leading to many unemployed graduates on the street and this is not good for the profession. I think the new DG shuld be commended for streamlining the unserious ones among them. everything is designed in way that the graduates should fill the gap created by the retired lawyers/judges. imagine graduating 5000 lawyers and may be just 1000 will retire this year

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Etianwanokon: 1:17pm On Oct 21, 2014
It shows how some of them got there in the first place.
When children now write JAMB outside the exam hall and sorting the issue of the day in our Universities.
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by clemz88(m): 1:21pm On Oct 21, 2014
We wount hear word again. Must all these charge n discharge stop making all sort of noises in our ears ? Must they always keep defending themselves even if they are at fault?if you failed that means you never read enough .you guys should stop using change of grades or whatever to defend yourselves . Get back to your books and make right all wrongs .
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Sonsugar: 1:23pm On Oct 21, 2014
My people thank God you people did not buy this law student cry. Truely the standard of education in this country has fallen below what one can imagine and the analysis on a graph of how to pass that some one made is very analytical. where parents will buy their children's way through these so called University that are advance secondary schools.though not all of them;
but most of them. We pray God to help us oh because with this era of Blackberry and Andriod phones and all sorts of social chat rooms,Instagram and all that stuff.instead of the student to read they are chatting their lives and time away.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by greenmouse(m): 1:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
too much pinging and social media craze
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by DEEMARIA(m): 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
their problem, please how can i upgrade my Samsung galaxy GT-P1000 pls and pls
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ojsmscom(m): 1:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
DUDE
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by dragdreezy: 1:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Download Nigerian music and videos on http://www.igbedo.com
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 21, 2014
MovingMax:
. If this is true, the DG should be santioned. How can seventy percent fail?
but a fraction of the whole lot got first class, or didn't u read it?
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
Failure would always point many accusing fingers. When the little children fail WAEC & UME, we jeer at them for neglecting their books and majoring in TV Series and social media bt when adults fail, we say its the system that failed them. #wash! na una be the first to enter law school?

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Edusouls(m): 1:56pm On Oct 21, 2014
Hei,i wan die laughing here, chai nigerians and excuse, look at what they re saying, that the director general, purposely failed them, they should go and tell themselves the truth, they failed woefuly, chai wahala dey for niger, 4000 failures out of 5000, hei haba what is the problem, the problem is numerous, the system is decayed, hardship, poor economy, poverty, students wey sought their way up to that level, girls wey Bleep anything fuckable to reach there, too much what app,facebook,2go, eskimi, pinging, bb babes, android freaks, people especially girls re more committed to maintain bb suscription and renew data bundles, cos it keeps them online to be able keep intouch with many customers, men re vry distracted from siting down to study, due to so much pressure to deliver..kata kata dey.. Make una leave D.G, Una fail wella, 300k wasted..
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by akinsadeez(m): 1:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
lrguru:
but a fraction of the whole lot got first class, or didn't u read it?

4 people got first class out of a class of 6000 plus. You can do the maths. does that sufficiently offset the 70% that failed? Questions need to be asked of the DG
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:

4 people got first class out of a class of 6000 plus. You can do the maths. does that sufficiently offset the 70% that failed? Questions need to be asked of the DG
are those 4 people gods? If those 4 can make it, why can't the 4000?
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
We seem to be disregarding something here. PM news gave us a misleading info. The law school has given a breakdown of the performance which in my own understanding doesn't amount to mass failure.approximately1980 failed out of 5800 students.
Maybe the outcry is about the result of the re-sit students... And if u ask me , I won't blame the NLS.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by hardbody: 2:09pm On Oct 21, 2014
kilmix:

Oga, "tweeting n doing all sorts of social media" does not stop one from reading... My subscription was on throughout the exams I was always on NL plus I was always updating one down four to go BBM..

You know what? I passed. The mass failure is from the system .

Drastically changing marking scheme when they told us it will start from next set, reducing exam time without prior notice and marking down students was the cause.

So they marked your papers with a different scheme and also allowed you an enlarged time different from that allowed the candidates that failed ? Bros argue logically.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Sunbellar: 2:11pm On Oct 21, 2014
Purplesummer, what's your take on this please?
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by akinsadeez(m): 2:12pm On Oct 21, 2014
lrguru:
are those 4 people gods? If those 4 can make it, why can't the 4000?

What are you saying? how can you use 4 people to judge 6000? does that make sense? If you are given a target of 6000 in your workplace and you are able to deliver 4, do you deserve kudos? The fact is that the law school had 6000 students in their care, to tutor and teach for one whole year and turn into lawyers. At the end of the day they could only deliver 30% of that total. That shows the problem goes beyond the students, the law school itself has to shoulder a huge part of the blame. 4 first class students can never justify 4000 failures.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by slimmingcare(f): 2:24pm On Oct 21, 2014
Please don't fail them because my customers are there
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:

What are you saying? how can you use 4 people to judge 6000? does that make sense? If you are given a target of 6000 in your workplace and you are able to deliver 4, do you deserve kudos? The fact is that the law school had 6000 students in their care, to tutor and teach for one whole year and turn into lawyers. At the end of the day they could only deliver 30% of that total. That shows the problem goes beyond the students, the law school itself has to shoulder a huge part of the blame. 4 first class students can never justify 4000 failures.
a man who has 10 children, and of all his children, only one decides to go to school and become a graduate prolly a medical doctors and the rest ends up as touts, or agbero's or non-entities, who would u blame, the father or the other 9 children?

Every individual has everything given to him/her, he either chooses to use it or not. If a person fails, he should blame nobody but himself, and if he passes he should be glad he did. Out of 6000 persons who sat for the exams, 4-persons made up their mind to make it tops and the others just sat there and wrote all they knew. Was it not the same question that was set for all, abi those 4-people were related to the DG, or were they not human?

Bros, I believe if u are a graduate, and u end up with first class, u know u really worked hard for it, and when u have 2.1 or 2.2 u know u tried. But if u come out with 3rd class or pass or even fail, will u say they cheated u cos u were supposed to have had a first class?

Bro, those people failed and they should blame no one else but themselves

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Caption This Exam Sitting Arrangement In Eksu (Photo) / FUTA 400L Student Designs And Built Automatic Change Over (PHOTOS) / The Menace Of Living Of Campus(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.